The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I like the Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews. They will one day(maybe/probably) live in Clarence House and they both met at St. Andrews Uni. It makes the most sense to me. I can't believe the wedding is less than three months away.
As I learned in this thread, there is already a "Royal" Earl of St. Andrews - it's the secondary title of HRH The Duke of Kent, so his heir uses it as his courtesy title. It's a pity, though.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Gentry

There is so much knowledge here it is truly fascinating and all are to be commended!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I really hope it is The Duke of Cambridge...I love the sound of that..

I like it too.
I also like Duke of Richmond.

But I read some speculation that William may not get a title, since the Queen is now in her eighties (Phillip is ninety) and, in the nature of things, a title or two may become available quite soon.
In that case it may not be worthwhile creating one for William (but I hope they do).
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
There is so much knowledge here it is truly fascinating and all are to be commended!
I agree with you! It is the only place to be able to find out and see information and facts, as well as develop opinions and obtain such a wide variety of ideas and thoughts.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
As I learned in this thread, there is already a "Royal" Earl of St. Andrews - it's the secondary title of HRH The Duke of Kent, so his heir uses it as his courtesy title. It's a pity, though.
St. Andrews might be taken, but a Scottish would be very appropriate since the couple met there. Throwing random ideas out there (if any of these are impossible or already exists, please correct me): something new like Duke of Glasgow? Duke of Aberdeenshire? Duke of Balmoral? Duke of Ross? The most royal would be Duke of Albany (as long as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs don't mind)
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

My 2 cents:

I think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is appropriate for the Heir to the Heir to the Throne and his wife.
William and Catherine should have ducal titles since they are so high up in the Order of Succession.
Harry should get a title too (but not until his wedding) but perhaps an Earldom, as he is not as important as William....

Also, I think Catherine should be lent the 'Fringe Tiara' that The Queen wore at her wedding, so as to carry on a tradition...
I understand that The Queen still likes to wear this occasionally, so Catherine can return it after the wedding
She doesn't need to keep it, just borrow it for a day!!

Larry
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

THEY - aren't high up in the order of succesion, he is.
Harry is just as important as William, if he doesn't have any children.
What tradition?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I respectfully disagree.
"They" are important as she will be Queen and that is high up in the succession order. "They" are going to be a 'unit'....

The tradition is that The Queen wore the tiara and so did Princess Anne, I believe..
Diana didn't need the fringe tiara as she had her own family's...

Larry
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She will be The Queen in name only, she will not be in line for the succesion, only her children will be.
Catherine isn't part of the family, why would she wear the "family" tiara it seems?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

The full name of the fringe tiara is The Hanover Russian Fringe Tiara which Queen Mary commissioned in 1919 to be made from a tiara and fitting necklace she got from Queen Victoria as a wedding gift. Later Queen Mary gave the tiara as a present to the then Queen Elizabeth who loaned it to her daughter Princess Elizabeth as the "something borrowed". When Princess Anne married, it was loaned to her by The Queen Mother.

So it would be fitting as a "loaned" tiara for Catherine Middleton. I don't see the queen loaning it to Zara Philips, even though that would be much more traditional but it's too glamourous and regal for her, I think. Probably Zara will wear her mother's Greek Key Tiara, as it's a lot more understated but very chic, especially for such a classical beauty like Zara.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She will be The Queen in name only, she will not be in line for the succesion, only her children will be.
Catherine isn't part of the family, why would she wear the "family" tiara it seems?
Since when do wifes not belong to their husband's family? And why then "family" tiara when the future wife of the heir of the heir got the jewels as a wedding gift from her new husband's grandmother The Queen (Victoria) and had the stones reworked into this tiara which she gave then to the new queen consort Elizabeth in 1936?

Okay, you may argue that Mary of Teck was already part fo the family, even before she married her George and queen Elizabeth was already her daughter-in-law ehn she got the tiare, but still.... Catherine is going to be a future queen consort and thus may well wear such a traditional tiara.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well, QMII loaned the danish wedding veil to the then Miss Donaldson, when she married CP Frederik and became CPss Mary. So it can happen
Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Well, OMII loaned the danish wedding veil to the then Miss Donaldson, when she married CP Frederik and became CPss Mary. So it can happen
True, but not Khedive tiara, which only female descendants of Ingrid of Sweden (or female-line descendants of Margaret of Connaught) have worn.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Since when do wifes not belong to their husband's family? And why then "family" tiara when the future wife of the heir of the heir got the jewels as a wedding gift from her new husband's grandmother The Queen (Victoria) and had the stones reworked into this tiara which she gave then to the new queen consort Elizabeth in 1936?
I don't understand what the last part if your sentence actualy says?

And, William is also part of the Spencer family is her not, so Catherine should have rights to the Spencer Tiara as well as the royals ones.
Did Sarah or Diana where this tiara when they got married? Or has it just been worn by HM and Princess Anne?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think that already have a Earl of St. Andrews will matter all that much. It is possible to have a Duke and an Earl with the same name. Plus, they would only be known as the D and D of St. Andrews when they are in Scotland and Duke of Clarence everywhere else. The St. Andrews would rarely collide.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think it matters quite a bit that they'll be two St Andrews titles.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
True, but not Khedive tiara, which only female descendants of Ingrid of Sweden (or female-line descendants of Margaret of Connaught) have worn.
That´s right, but it was quite significant IMO that QMII loaned the veil to CPss Mary

But perhaps we can view at the danish wedding veil and the british tiara as the same, since the BRF doesn´t have a wedding veil, as far as I know
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If there is anything we do know, it's that the BRF is incredible different to the European royals.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I expect Kate to wear "family" tiaras and other jewels after she's married, but I would not expect her to wear a family tiara at her wedding, since she won't be a member of the Royal family till the ceremony's over. Since her own family doesn't have a family tiara, I suspect she will do what Sarah did and wear a floral arrangement in her hair till the paperwork is signed, then walk out sporting a new tiara. I don't think she'll walk out of the church in a family tiara, but in one of her own, which I think will be elegant yet modern.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
If there is anything we do know, it's that the BRF is incredible different to the European royals.
So true, so true

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding