The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

His grandmother can give him any title she wishes.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There isn't any kind of tradition that says he cannot receive a dukedom.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Is William "entitled" to a dukedom? I was under the impression that this was available only to sons of the Soverign. Has this changed?
I don't think that is the case.

Victoria made George (later George V) the Duke of York in 1892 and his brother (Albert Victor) the Duke of Clarence and Avondale in 1890. And Edward (their father) didn't become King until 1901.

The last soverign with a grandson was George VI with Charles, and letters were issued that made him a Prince. So anything is possible at this point.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

thanks, zonk
Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder, do you think they might just go by the Earl and Countess of Carrick/Chester. William has the right to use it as the son of Charles and it the lesser title would befit the quieter life they plan to live for a wee while.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I wonder, do you think they might just go by the Earl and Countess of Carrick/Chester. William has the right to use it as the son of Charles and it the lesser title would befit the quieter life they plan to live for a wee while.

William doesn't have the right to use it as it isn't an hereditary title. It has to be recreated for each new holder. It doesn't have the usual inheritance remainder as it merges with the Crown each time the holder becomes King or dies - whichever comes first.

The other titles that William will gain at his father's accession are also different to normal inheritance situations as they are determined not by just being the eldest son and the male line heir but by being the heir apparent. The LPs creating these titles also don't have normal remainders and again technically they merge with the Crown on the holders accession but as they have automatic built in determinants as to who the next holder is they will go to William at the same time as they merge with the Crown. They aren't inherited titles but automatic creations when he meets both the criteria needed.

William isn't entitled to any of Charles titles as there are additional conditions to the normal ones associated with titles.

The title he is entitled to use is Baron Greenwich - the third of Philip's titles as that one has normal inheritance conditions attached - 'heirs male of the body' and William is second in line to inherit Philip's titles after his father.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Gentry

The last Prince William was William IV (the king whom Victoria succeeded) and he was Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews, his brother was Prince of Wales. Prince Albert Victor, the last son of a living Prince of Wales (Albert Edward aka Edward VII - son of Queen Victoria was Prince of Wales when his son was born and growing up) was also Duke of Clarence and Avondale, and Earl of Athlone. Athlone even has a Vicountcy - Viscount Trematon. I'm guessing that William becomes Duke of Clarence.

The Dukedom of Connaught is out because it was created from an Irish name and with the feeling of the Irish toward the Royals - it might not go over well.

The Royals set store in bad luck as well. All the Dukes of Cambridge didn't have issue because their sons all died early deaths before they could marry. So I think that's out.

The Dukedom of Sussex has only been used once for a 6th son of George III. I don't think that title is quite grand enough.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Aristocracy

I hope they get a Dukedom rather than Earldom, I just prefer the title Duke/Duchess to Earl/Countess...well Countess is rather cool but I don't like Earl. Not that coolness really should be the deciding factor in all this!

And if I were just picking titles without paying any attention to history or precedence etc then I'd pick Duke of Windsor for them (obviously never in a million years is that ever going to be given to anyone in the RF again let alone the heir to the heir but hey it's a nice title I think, shame about the reasons for it's existence & the connotations with it). Of the other far more likely options that we are aware of I think Duke of Cambridge is the nicest title. Regardless of what they end up with though he's always going to be Prince William to me, no matter what his title, probably even when he's King I'll still be calling him Prince William!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I hope they get a Dukedom rather than Earldom, I just prefer the title Duke/Duchess to Earl/Countess...well Countess is rather cool but I don't like Earl. Not that coolness really should be the deciding factor in all this!
If only the British had "Count" instead of "Earl" like they did on the continent. Sigh.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Courtier

I really hope it is The Duke of Cambridge...I love the sound of that..
Old 02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
hope they get a Dukedom rather than Earldom, I just prefer the title Duke/Duchess to Earl/Countess...well Countess is rather cool but I don't like Earl. Not that coolness really should be the deciding factor in all this!
For me, titles can and do take on a certain character.

When I think of a Countess, I have this impression of a woman rather attractive, subsequently vain, often indifferent toward others and someone not to be crossed. Self concerning and although witty, purposely sarcastic. The title itself sounds rather 'cold' and yet at the same time incredibly feminine. Almost seductive.

Whereas a Duchess has always seemed to me as though the holder of the title would be a woman of considerable warmth, who is personable and has a good sense humour. Not necessarily young or attractive but someone well dignified and engaging. A woman who would get along well with most people no matter their social position (excluding Marina of kent )

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

The Battenberg-princes when they became British peers, were "only" created a Marquess and an Earl even though they were of Royal blood and kin of the Windsors. So a lot of British noble men and women had precedence over them. When Princess Katherine of Greece and Denmark wanted to marry a British subject and become one herself, she was granted the style "Lady" and precedence of "the daughter of a duke", so higher in rank than the Mountbattens.

OTOH when Edward was "just" created an Earl, it was said that he will be The Duke of Edinburgh one day. Of course he always has had the precedence of a HRH son of the souverain.

So I think the Royals have a certain idea what is suitable for one of their senior family members when it comes to create a groom a peer before his wedding. I doubt the queen will create William "just" an Earl. As the eldest son of The Prince of Wales he certainly should have a dukedom.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
The last Prince William was William IV...
To be accurate, the most recent Prince William before William of Wales was Prince William of Gloucester who tragically died in a plane crash in 1972 at the age of 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1
All the Dukes of Cambridge didn't have issue because their sons all died early deaths before they could marry.
Again, to be accurate, Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge, son of George III, had a son George who became the 2nd and last Duke of Cambridge of that creation.
Prince George was the brother of Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (Queen Mary's mother). He married in contravention of the Royal Marriages Act and his three sons, who bore the surname Fitzgeorge, died at ages 64, 76 and 86.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
The Dukedom of Connaught is out because it was created from an Irish name and with the feeling of the Irish toward the Royals - it might not go over well.

Not only is it Irish but Connaught is in the Republic and the Queen simply wouldn't use a title associated with a realm over which she is no longer the monarch.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
For me, titles can and do take on a certain character.

When I think of a Countess, I have this impression of a woman rather attractive, subsequently vain, often indifferent toward others and someone not to be crossed. Self concerning and although witty, purposely sarcastic. The title itself sounds rather 'cold' and yet at the same time incredibly feminine. Almost seductive.

Whereas a Duchess has always seemed to me as though the holder of the title would be a woman of considerable warmth, who is personable and has a good sense humour. Not necessarily young or attractive but someone well dignified and engaging. A woman who would get along well with most people no matter their social position (excluding Marina of kent )
Ouch!
::
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Ouch?

The Countess of Wessex is the perfect example of a woman who I think is warm and considerate and so would dispell my "theory" in an instant, but it's pertinent to mention that it's merely the title, not the person to which I refer

I've always liked the title 'Countess'. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

The title of 'Duchess' just seems to me more 'cosy', not that that would make much sense I'm sure...haha.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Gentry

I understand that it's the word not the person you were characterising. My 'ouch' was tongue I'm cheek since countess is the title in my family!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Gentry

There is that pesky auto correct. I meant to sat 'tongue IN cheek'
Old 02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the info ILBertie! I agree, titles to carry a certain image with them and mine is similar to MR. When I think of a Duchess, I often think of a really old but still cute Lady. Puts on whatever sort of clothes she has lying around but always her best jewelry. Enjoys a nip of sherry and or gin. The Duchess's of Cornwall and Devonshire support this image, but like MR said, our dear Marina did not. Marina to me is what I envision a Countess. Sensual, elegant, with a certain iciness and delicious wit, always looking her finest. I blame Disney for that imagery.

I like the Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews. They will one day(maybe/probably) live in Clarence House and they both met at St. Andrews Uni. It makes the most sense to me. I can't believe the wedding is less than three months away.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Serene Highness

Oh, it's all so fascinating. Past laws and rules vs. current websites vs. popular opinion - and on and on!

I had no idea it was all so complicated. It's intriguing. The Queen may be the Fount of Honor, but Warren, Sister Morphine, Branchg and others...you're all amazing in your knowledge and your tireless patience in educating the rest of us.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding