Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is just how the press and public at large refer to them. It's not their official designation.

I personally don't refer to them this way as it's not correct.

Why do some people assume one is not aware of the history behind the written topic? :p

I'm very much aware of all the above ;) I just like the title. It resonates well with me. Whether or not it's all that feesable is another matter.

I didn't assume one way or another. And it is very fessible, to give new secondary titles in a new creation of the name. I was just putting it out there. A lot of people read the forum, and may not know Inverness is one of Andrew's titles, or Asklow is in Ireland. Or for that matter those are the secondary titles for the Duke of Sussex.

:D It's fine. Nothing was meant by it.

Still, Duke of Sussex is my preference so here's hoping the Queen is of the same opinion.

:D It's fine. Nothing was meant by it.

Still, Duke of Sussex is my preference so here's hoping the Queen is of the same opinion.

I agree, I like Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I don't know Camebridge is nice too, but it makes me think of the university, which William broke with tradition by not going to. But if he had, well then there would be no wedding, at least not to Kate, so it seems fate.

If William becomes the King I think that Kate would become the "Queen Consort" which is different than Elizabeth who is the Queen of England, etc. in her own right.

:)
NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........

Last edited:
If they have no children and Harry becomes king, she would be the dowager queen. If he died before he takes the throne, and they have a child, she'd be dowager duchess of ......

I thought "Dowager" is reserved for the mother of the next holder of the title and only when the next holder of title gets married, so the female title goes to the new wife. So if William died as a Royal Duke without leaving children, Catherine would be still "The Duchess of X" and if he died childless as king, she would be HM Queen Catherine. Same happened to Queen Marie Adelaide when her niece Victoria became new queen regnant. Augusta, The Dowager Princess of Wales, was the mother of the next king, George III., thus she was the "Dowager" Princess. Joan of Kent was the mother of the next king, too, while Catherine of Aragon as widow of Arthur Prince of Wales was not named "Dowager" Princess at first - only when Henry VIII. tried to get an anulment of their marriage, he granted her that title to make his claim public that Catherine and Arthur's marriage had in fact been valid and thus his marriage to her was invalid.

HM Queen Elizabeth was only named The Queen Mother because her daughter was named Elizabeth as well, to avoid confusion.

I think a Peerage is likely because of the children

It is quite concievable that HM may still be alive and reigning when William and Kate have their second child.....If there is no peerage title under the Act of 1917 William's second son or daughters would simply by Mr/Miss

I think the Peerage would be to give Catherine a suitable title as his wife, rather than being styled as "HRH Princess William of Wales".

It wouldn't make any difference for William's children as his eldest son would be HRH Prince X at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent. The other children would be styled Lord/Lady Windsor as great-grandchildren in the male-line of The Sovereign, even if William was not created a Peer.

A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.

NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........

I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time. :D

It wouldn't make any difference for William's children as his eldest son would be HRH Prince X at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent. The other children would be styled Lord/Lady Windsor as great-grandchildren in the male-line of The Sovereign, even if William was not created a Peer.

I'm wondering if we're going to see William and Kate's second and any after as Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor instead of just Windsor?

muriel said:
A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.

That's exactly what I'd like to see happen too :)

muriel said:

In the Wessex's thread the papers in Bermuda (?) called the Countess Princess Sophie so it's safe to assume no matter what her official title many press and public will always call her Princess Catherine/Kate......

I thought "Dowager" is reserved for the mother of the next holder of the title and only when the next holder of title gets married, so the female title goes to the new wife.

I believe that " Dowager" shows who is the widow of the previous holder of the title and is not limited to the mother of the next holder ,who can also be a niece or nephew instead of a son or daughter .

I'm wondering if we're going to see William and Kate's second and any after as Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor instead of just Windsor?

I'd assume so, it is the family's official last name. There just have been no one in Philip and Elizabeth's line so far to need the title. Others who are Lord and Lady Windsor, are of no relation to Prince Philip, who brings the Mountbattan in, other than by his marriage to the queen.

I don't see why anyone would call Catherine that if she becomes The Duchess or Countess of X. The media called Diana that because she was "Lady Di" in the press before she married and became Princess of Wales. She was never styled as a Duchess or Countess.

It was a habit that continued and the Palace never objected to "Princess Diana" because Diana was the wife of the heir to the throne and mother of a future king.

It was a habit that continued and the Palace never objected to "Princess Diana" because Diana was the wife of the heir to the throne and mother of a future king.

The Palace may have not said anything to correct this but, Diana did.

branchg said:

A newspaper today called Countess Wessex Princess Sophie, so it does happen and of course the palace didn't object, I'd imagine as long as the proper title/style is used for official reasons/events they could care less how someone is refeared to in press (just my guess- unless maybe it was the Queen)

A newspaper today called Countess Wessex Princess Sophie, so it does happen and of course the palace didn't object, I'd imagine as long as the proper title/style is used for official reasons/events they could care less how someone is refeared to in press (just my guess- unless maybe it was the Queen)

The Palace was questioned before about the use of "Princess Diana" and stated in response that it was acceptable because Diana automatically became a Princess of the UK with her marriage, but officially she was "HRH The Princess of Wales".

After the divorce, the Palace was again questioned about the proper form of address for Diana and they stated she was still a Princess as the mother of a future king and suggested "The Princess" or "Ma'am" in conversation.

branchg said:
The Palace was questioned before about the use of "Princess Diana" and stated in response that it was acceptable because Diana automatically became a Princess of the UK with her marriage, but officially she was "HRH The Princess of Wales".

After the divorce, the Palace was again questioned about the proper form of address for Diana and they stated she was still a Princess as the mother of a future king and suggested "The Princess" or "Ma'am" in conversation.

And won't Catherine fall into both these catagories.... My point I guess is it's a mute point if she remains Princess William instead of her husband being given a title such as Duke, then she'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say

Please note that off topic posts that have NOTHING do with the subject of a Title for William, Catherine and Family have been deleted.

She'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say

I guess they think better "Princess Catherine" than just "Kate".....:flowers:

And won't Catherine fall into both these catagories.... My point I guess is it's a mute point if she remains Princess William instead of her husband being given a title such as Duke, then she'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say

If she is styled Princess William of Wales, I would expect the media to call her "Princess Kate". But the likelihood of that happening is very slim to none.

The Queen will undoubtedly create her grandson a Duke or Earl, so she will likely be styled "HRH The Duchess or Countess of X" for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann

Osipi wrote: I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time. :D

Thank you so much Osipi :) for writing the post above! :flowers:

I was simply answering a question thinking I am being helpful, and get trashed for it. Really the utter rudeness of a small few on this forum is unbelievable. Why ask a question and then be so scathing to someone who answers? :mad:

As other posters have mentioned I agree Sussex is nice too. Before Edward was created Earl of Wessex I had the idea he might have been styled Duke of Cambridge as he went to Jesus College Cambridge. Maybe the title Prince William will hold has been discussed and already decided many years ago?

I wonder what would be the most unusual title William could officially be given not that we hopes he gets it, just for fun?
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann

Osipi wrote: I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time. :D

Thank you so much Osipi :) for writing the post above! :flowers:

I was simply answering a question thinking I am being helpful, and get trashed for it. Really the utter rudeness of a small few on this forum is unbelievable. Why ask a question and then be so scathing to someone who answers? :mad:

As other posters have mentioned I agree Sussex is nice too. Before Edward was created Earl of Wessex I had the idea he might have been styled Duke of Cambridge as he went to Jesus College Cambridge. Maybe the title Prince William will hold has been discussed and already decided many years ago?

I wonder what would be the most unusual title William could officially be given not that we hopes he gets it, just for fun? :p

Taking inspiration from my favorite British show ever

HRH William, Earl of Peebles, Baron Blackadder

Or if Duke of Sussex since they need new secondary titles

HRH William, Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dingwall (scotland), Viscount Bullyhole bottom (Yes really a town in Wales)

Last edited:
Taking inspiration from my favorite British show ever

HRH William, Earl of Peebles, Baron Blackadder

Or if Duke of Sussex since they need new secondary titles

HRH William, Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dingwall (scotland), Viscount Bullyhole bottom (Yes really a town in Wales)

Oh my god, you came up with those fast! Those are fricking hilarious!:ROFLMAO: (You are one of a few lately to mention Blackadder, I have only seen bits and pieces in repeats so I will have to seek it out on DVD.)

Viscount Bullyhole Bottom kind of has a nice ring to it.... ;)

Oh my god, you came up with those fast! Those are fricking hilarious!:ROFLMAO: (You are one of a few lately to mention Blackadder, I have only seen bits and pieces in repeats so I will have to seek it out on DVD.)

Viscount Bullyhole Bottom kind of has a nice ring to it.... ;)

I found an interesting site of weirdest names of towns in England once upon a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were up to me, I'd encourage the press to use the proper title (whatever it was) and mark as a mere tabloid those papers that refuse to follow etiquette and protocol.

If I were the Queen, I'd give Prince William the Dukedom of Cambridge, as the title was part of the style of her great grand mother Mary Adelaide, and Catherine could go by Duchess Catherine until she becomes Princess of Wales.

In that way, the assumption of the new titles at the time of the Queen's death assists everyone in the transition and inevitable grieving process. Kate then has time to ascend through some steps to a loftier title. She could of course call herself Princess William, but I think William will be made a Duke on the morning of his wedding (or the day before, I'd like to know more about how these things are done).

I would be happy to call her Duchess Kate, if that's what she prefers. I'm sure the American media will call her Princess Kate in any case, although some will add Duchess of X, in an attempt to show they know something about another nation's system.

If it were up to me, I'd encourage the press to use the proper title (whatever it was) and mark as a mere tabloid those papers that refuse to follow etiquette and protocol.

If I were the Queen, I'd give Prince William the Dukedom of Cambridge, as the title was part of the style of her great grand mother Mary Adelaide, and Catherine could go by Duchess Catherine until she becomes Princess of Wales.

In that way, the assumption of the new titles at the time of the Queen's death assists everyone in the transition and inevitable grieving process. Kate then has time to ascend through some steps to a loftier title. She could of course call herself Princess William, but I think William will be made a Duke on the morning of his wedding (or the day before, I'd like to know more about how these things are done).

I would be happy to call her Duchess Kate, if that's what she prefers. I'm sure the American media will call her Princess Kate in any case, although some will add Duchess of X, in an attempt to show they know something about another nation's system.

For all the talks about William and Kate bringing a "modern" touch to the royal family getting all new titles is not very modern at all. Why does Kate even have to get a title? She could just be Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor or Mrs. Catherine Middleton. Though I do think if that were the case she would take Mountbatten-Windsor. Since she is technically marrying a man that possess a HRH he legally does not have a last name correct? I would also like to know if because she is marrying a male member of the royal family will she automatically become HRH Princess William of Wales? In that case she could be Mrs. Catherine Wales.

For all the talks about William and Kate bringing a "modern" touch to the royal family getting all new titles is not very modern at all. Why does Kate even have to get a title? She could just be Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor or Mrs. Catherine Middleton. Though I do think if that were the case she would take Mountbatten-Windsor. Since she is technically marrying a man that possess a HRH he legally does not have a last name correct? I would also like to know if because she is marrying a male member of the royal family will she automatically become HRH Princess William of Wales? In that case she could be Mrs. Catherine Wales.

Not giving her a title would be saying to the people 'who needs titles' and I think there is enough movement towards getting rid of the monarchy, without adding more fuel to the fire.

She will be getting a title, standard practice. She will either be Princess William of Wales, or Duchess of X.

Despite all this talk, I can't actually imagine the press calling her Princess William or the Duchess of Cambridge. I can't imagine doing it myself. Who are those people? She's Kate. By virtue of having been the girlfriend of William for so long, she's known very well as Kate. It will be hard enough to stop calling her Kate Middleton. You can see how well Catherine has stuck...

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but there is no way I'm using Princess William and the Duchess of Cambridge- besides sounding like William's great aunt- is a non-person. Nobody will latch on to it. Especially if she only has it for a short period of time. Whatever the palace does, they have to know that.

The monarchy has a facebook and flickr page, announced the engagement on Twitter, and have created multiple websites for the wedding. They seem to be trying to be modern. I think the monarchy is a great thing only so long as they keep up. At what point do they choose modernity and living in the real world over tradition? This is a good time.

I'm in the Princess Catherine camp, but regardless she'll always be Kate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom