The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Wouldn't she be the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall, and in actuality, the Dowager Princess of Wales?

In that case, could William be the Duke of Cornwall and Kate the Duchess of Cornwall? Let us hope that this is never an issue...

As Charles has predeceased the Queen in this scenario then Camilla would remain as The Duchess of Cornwall as William couldn't become Duke of Cornwall. The Queen could create him Prince of Wales however - as happened with George III. George III was the grandson of George II but was never Duke of Cornwall as he was never the eldest son of the monarch but he was able to be created Prince of Wales.

Duke of Cornwall has two requirements - eldest son of the monarch AND heir apparent to the throne - Charles fulfills both requirements. William, in the present reign, could only fulfil one and thus could never hold the title. However, on the Queen's passing he will fulfil both requirements and thus will become Duke of Cornwall. The Duke of Rothesay title has the same requirements in Scotland.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - the LPs establishing the Duke of Cornwall title state that the holder must be both the eldest son of the monarch AND the heir apparent to the throne.
What about the $$$ or £££ generated by the Duchy of Cornwall? Would the money go to the Queen or be held in Trust for a future Duke of Cornwall? That would be a bigger deal to me (were I in William's position) than the title itself! Also, I believe we discussed before that HM can override LPs at her pleasure, can't she?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For a woman who has a title she doesn't automatically confer that status on her husband but a man with a title does. That is discrimination ladies.
Of course it is. It's blatant discrimination.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

If Charles becomes King then William will be known as The Duke of Cornwall and Hogwarts
Oh, he will join the Harry Potter universe?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Majesty

True. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
What about the $$$ or £££ generated by the Duchy of Cornwall?
Old 01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
What about the $$$ or £££ generated by the Duchy of Cornwall? Would the money go to the Queen or be held in Trust for a future Duke of Cornwall? That would be a bigger deal to me (were I in William's position) than the title itself! Also, I believe we discussed before that HM can override LPs at her pleasure, can't she?

The Civil List is reduced by the amount of the income of the Duchy as the income of the Duchy goes to the Crown. Duchy of Cornwall - FAQ's - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Oh, he will join the Harry Potter universe?
I started saying 'Hogwarts' because I didn't want to use a title that had already come into use and I am a HP fan.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I started saying 'Hogwarts' because I didn't want to use a title that had already come into use and I am a HP fan.
Me too.

And since no one can agree on what Dukedom William might have bestowed on him (Clarence, Cambridge etc), then The Duke of Hogwarts is as good as any!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
Me too.

And since no one can agree on what Dukedom William might have bestowed on him (Clarence, Cambridge etc), then The Duke of Hogwarts is as good as any!
Now all I need to do is come up with the Earldom and the Barony - e.g. Earl of Godric's Hollow and Baron of Diagon Alley.

Should I sent this suggestion to William and the Queen - Duke of Hogwarts, Earl of Godric's Hollow and Baron of Diagon Alley?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Should I sent this suggestion to William and the Queen - Duke of Hogwarts, Earl of Godric's Hollow and Baron of Diagon Alley?
you might get a "we are not amused"...

But I am!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
you might get a "we are not amused"...

But I am!
I don't think the present Duke of Northumberland would be too amused either as Castle Alnwick was the location used in the movies for Hogwarts.
On the other hand, the Queen Rowling just might be pleasantly amused.

Back to the topic of titles for William and Kate, the more it is discussed, I do think William will receive a Dukedom or an Earldom on his wedding day. I don't think there's any chance at all of the Queen allowing "Princess Catherine". If anything, that would be something that could come about when the issue of Equal Primogeniture is really seriously discussed.

One thing that has been nagging at is why William would not want a Dukedom and just remain Prince William. Then it hit me. Perhaps it is the "Wales" aspect. If he became Duke of Hogwarts, he would be Prince William, The Duke of Hogwarts and Kate The Duchess of Hogwarts. If he did not have any further titles, then they'd retain the "of Wales". That could continue until his father ascends the throne and perhaps creates William The Prince of Wales and it would continue. Perhaps it is this continuity that William is hoping to achieve? Just a thought.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Again, we have no idea if the press report is accurate and whether William, in fact, proposed any change in the way his future wife would be styled.

Since being "Princess Catherine" would indicate a much higher profile than "HRH The Duchess or Countess of X", it really doesn't make any sense to me, given William's plan to continue his military training and for the couple to live modestly near the base.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think the present Duke of Northumberland would be too amused either as Castle Alnwick was the location used in the movies for Hogwarts.
He can only be offended "slightly" as only 2 films were made there, and that was 10 years ago.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Courtier

I see nothing wong with her being HRH Princess William of Wales...it being said that they are going to stay out of the spot light for 2years after the wedding. The press will still call her Princess Cathrine anyway.. She will get alot more titles soon enough.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Commoner

For what it's worth, here's my prediction for the titles:

They'll be announced on April 28, or early on the 29th.

Prince William will become Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Stornoway, Baron Ballycastle.

So Kate will become (upon marriage), officially:

HRH Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Stornoway, Baroness Ballycastle.

They'll be styled The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Their oldest living son will be Prince Y of Cambridge.

Younger sons/all daughters will be the Lord Y/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor.

We shall see in less than 3 months!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

No, she will not be "The Princess William of Wales" because William is not "The Prince William of Wales. If he does not receive a royal dukedom or some other title, she will be "Princess William of Wales" because William's title is Prince William of Wales. If he becomes Duke of Cambridge, she will become "The Duchess of Cambridge" because "Duke of Cambridge" will be his title. She will not be Princess William of Wales because Prince William of Wales will no longer be William's title.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

She won't be The Princess William of Wales but she will be Princess William of Wales. She won't be The Princess William until Charles becomes King - when she will become The Princess William as the wife of a child of the monarch.

William will add titles, maybe on 29th April, but he won't lose his current titles. If he is given a dukedom that is the one that will be used officially but he will still be Prince William. The 'of Wales' wouldn't be used - true - because he would have an 'of Hogwarts' to use in his own right. Technically he would still be 'of Wales' as the son of Charles but he wouldn't use it with his own title.

William was born a Prince and will remain a Prince until he becomes King and so his titles will always include the option of just being called Prince William and thus his wife will be Princess William. Any other titles are on top of that birth title.

In time William's titles will look something like - His Royal Highness The Prince William Arthur Philip Louis , Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall and Hogwarts, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Earl of Godric's Hollow, Baron of Renfrew, Baron of Diagon Alley, Lord of the Isles and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Knight of the Garter etc as other orders are added. Kate would take the feminine form of these titles - all of these titles not just some of them.

The ones in bold are the ones he would hold from his marriage and they would simply be included in his other titles - he wouldn't lose them on becoming Duke of Cornwall or even on being given the title Prince of Wales.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

Ooo...random thought. Maybe the Queen will be inspired by popular historical fiction again and give William the title Earl of Grantham (it was created once and became extinct very quickly, but Julian Fellowes recently used it for his fictional characters in "Downton Abbey"). It's happened before when Edward got the Earldom of Wessex (from "Shakespeare in Love").
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Gentry

Bwah ha ha! If William can grow up to be as lovable as Hugh Bonneville (which I'm sure he can), then I'm all for it!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Don´t worry, I´m a HP-fan myself I just had a good giggle over it - and since I don´t know anything about the english dukedoms, I wouldn´t know if there really were one called Hogwarts

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding