The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Thumbs up Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
If the laws change to remove the precedence of male heirs, would Anne take the throne instead of Charles thereby interfering with any future titles for William and Catherine?
No, Charles would still be heir as he was first-born.

The new line of succession would look like:

Charles
William
(any children born to William in the order they were born)
Harry
Anne
Peter
Savannah
Zara
Andrew
Beatrice
Eugenie
Edward
Louise
James

etc.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkrcwi View Post
No, Camilla is not "The Princess Charles" and Diana was never "The Princess Charles." Similarly, Sophie is not "The Princess Edward." A British royal wife takes her husband's title, not his name. Charles, is not and has never been "The Prince Charles." Edward was "The Prince Edward" at one time but once he became "The Earl of Wessex" that became his title and Sophie took his title.

You're wrong. A British royal wife takes both her husband's title AND name.

Diana was The Princess Charles, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, etc,. That is what Camilla is now. Sarah was The Princess Andrew, Duchess of York, etc,. Sophie is The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, etc,.

So when William and Catherine marry, she will be HRH Princess William of Wales. If William is made a peer, she will be HRH Princess William of Wales, Countess/Duchess of X.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl of Kinnerton View Post
Whatever title William and Catherine are given will revert back to "the crown" when Princes Charles become King, as William and Kate will then automatically become Duke & Duchess of Cornwall at that point.

Titles change with circumstance for example
I believe that all of William and Kate's titles they receive will not revert back to the Crown until William becomes King. At marriage if William is not created a Duke or Earl, they will be HRH Prince William and HRH Princess William of Wales. If created a peer, then the title would be added to their list of titles such as then William being HRH Prince William of Wales, Duke of Hogwarts . Kate would most like choose to be styled as HRH The Duchess of Hogwarts rather than Princess William of Wales. When Charles ascends the throne, the titles Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and any other titles received are then added to the list including Prince of Wales should Charles deem to invest his son with that title.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

While Kate will legally be Princess William, I really hope she isnt actually called that on a daily basis. Frankly, the only member of the BRF to be saddled with that is Princess Michael, who was a divorced Catholic from a nazi leaning family when she married into the BRF. Kate has no such baggage.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
While Kate will legally be Princess William, I really hope she isnt actually called that on a daily basis. Frankly, the only member of the BRF to be saddled with that is Princess Michael, who was a divorced Catholic from a nazi leaning family when she married into the BRF. Kate has no such baggage.
I think she would tend to lean towards a more feminine style too although I do think her favorite "style" will be whatever William calls her in private.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Princess Catherine ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The man said "The Queen could allow Kate to be called Princess Catherine. Which she could do. It's very improbable that she will though.
Yes, I agree - very improbable - there was a bust up a few years ago - the 4 royal-born princesses Anne, Eugenie, Beatrice & Alexandra fussed about precedence & this exact sort of thing. And the queen upheld their protest
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post

Her religion and/or family issues don't have anything to do with why she's called Princess Michael. She's called as such, because her husband is not a peer. Hence her only title is HRH Princess Michael of Kent. If her husband was a peer, she'd be styled and titled exactly like every other woman who marries a peer in the BRF -- HRH The Duchess/Countess of ______.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Her religion and/or family issues don't have anything to do with why she's called Princess Michael. She's called as such, because her husband is not a peer. Hence her only title is HRH Princess Michael of Kent. If her husband was a peer, she'd be styled and titled exactly like every other woman who marries a peer in the BRF -- HRH The Duchess/Countess of ______.

Exactly - Princess Michael had only one title to take on board as her husband only had the one title Prince Michael.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
If the laws change to remove the precedence of male heirs, would Anne take the throne instead of Charles thereby interfering with any future titles for William and Catherine?

No because Charles is older than Anne.

Charles was born in 1948 so he has always been the heir apparent and would be followed by his sons in order.

Anne was born in 1950 and would thus move ahead of her younger brothers, Andrew born in 1960 and Edward born in 1964.

Anne's children would follow her with Savannah coming after her father.

The other change would put Louise ahead of James as Louise was born before her younger brother.

However...

I wouldn't expect it to change for Anne and her descendents but for William's descendents.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
It was announced Edward would become The Duke of Edinburgh upon the death of his parents, not Philip. Charles, or William if his father died before becoming King, will inherit Philip's peerages in due course as his male heirs of the body.

Once Charles is King, all of his titles merge with the Crown (the Sovereign cannot be a Peer) and Edinburgh is available to be recreated as a Dukedom for Prince Edward.
I think Charles will carry out his mother's wish because it is well documented.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Gentry

Thanks, windsorgirl!

I read an article that claims PW wants Kate to be named a Princess in her own right but I am hoping/betting he will be named a Duke (Cambridge?) instead.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gudgeon View Post
Thanks, windsorgirl!

I read an article that claims PW wants Kate to be named a Princess in her own right but I am hoping/betting he will be named a Duke (Cambridge?) instead.
The press claimed William wants Catherine to be known as "Princess Catherine" when they marry, but that's just speculation and we have no idea if it's true. Even if she was permitted that style, she would not be a princess in her own right, but a princess by marriage only.

I doubt The Queen will change tradition for her grandson's wife and Catherine will be styled after his Peerage, which is very likely to be a dukedom since William is the heir to the heir.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
No - she will be HRH Princess William of Wales - not HRH The Princess William of Wales. Only the children of the monarch can use 'The' with a capital 'T'. William is not 'The' Prince William but just Prince William.

There are currently seven people who have the right to use the word the with a capital 'T' The Prince Philip, The Prince Charles, The Princess Charles, The Prince Andrew, The Prince Edward, The Princess Edward and The Princess Anne. William will become The Prince William when Charles becomes King and Harry will then also become The Prince Harry (Henry).
http://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Coats%20...l%20Family.pdf

According to this site, William and Henry are indeed, The(s). as well as several others, not only the 7 listed above.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
http://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Coats%20...l%20Family.pdf

According to this site, William and Henry are indeed, The(s). as well as several others, not only the 7 listed above.

That site would be wrong then, and they need to change that. The only people in the BRF entitled to "The" before their names are the Queen's husband, her children, and her two daughters-in-law. William and Harry will not get "The" before their names until Charles is King.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Courtier

Who can we trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
That site would be wrong then, and they need to change that. The only people in the BRF entitled to "The" before their names are the Queen's husband, her children, and her two daughters-in-law. William and Harry will not get "The" before their names until Charles is King.
Then this is not the official royal.gov.uk site? Maybe I should send them a quick email...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is incorrect. Only the children of The Sovereign are known as "HRH The Prince/Princess X". The male-line grandchildren are "HRH Prince/Princess X of Y".

The only exception to this general practice is The Duke of Edinburgh. In 1957, The Queen issued Letters Patent creating him a Prince of the UK and declared his style and title to be "HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh".
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Courtier

I don't doubt what you say, I am just surprised that the official website got it wrong! "The King (or Queen) can do no wrong", butapparently her webmaster can!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I don't doubt what you say, I am just surprised that the official website got it wrong! "The King (or Queen) can do no wrong", butapparently her webmaster can!
Well, they list Sarah, Duchess of York as a member of the Royal Family....

In addition the webpage of The Prince of Wales explicitely calls William HRH Prince William of Wales, without a "The".
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 AM

i fervently wish they would 'get rid of '
Sarah once and for all, yech!!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina-marie View Post
i fervently wish they would 'get rid of '
Sarah once and for all, yech!!

What an awful thing to say about a much loved mother. Her two girls adore her and to wish that they would be without their mother is just plain nasty - no matter what you think of Sarah she is a mother and a mother who is loved by her daughters.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding