The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Courtier

I think that you might find that the Prince of Wales is automatically conferred on the eldest son of the Monarch. This is by Statute and is not at the Monarch's discretion. It is not necessary for any PoW to be formally invested, such as happened during the current reign. That was for domestic political reasons, and very good reasons at that.

In the nobility, there are occasions when males have been able to assume the titles of their wives, though these are uncommon and the situation has altered since 1963. Currently, the Countess Mountbatten holds her father's title, suo jure, (in her own right), the first, it's claimed, in 300 years.

Scotland, of course, has a solid history of allowing succession to titles irrespective of gender.

Thus, if it's acceptable in the aristocracy and enjoys susbstantial historical precedence, perhaps the time has come when the Palace will modernise in this matter, too. Despite what courtiers think, it shouldn't be too hard invent a title for the husband of any Princess of Wales.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I think that you might find that the Prince of Wales is automatically conferred on the eldest son of the Monarch. This is by Statute and is not at the Monarch's discretion. It is not necessary for any PoW to be formally invested, such as happened during the current reign. That was for domestic political reasons, and very good reasons at that.

The Prince of Wales title is NOT automatic. It must be conferred each time. George V wasn't created Prince of Wales until November 1901 despite being the eldest living son and heir apparent since January of that year. In 1910 George V waited about 6 weeks after becoming King before creating his son Prince of Wales. The present Queen took over 6 years before creating Charles Prince of Wales - acceeding 6th February 1952 but not creating Charles Prince of Wales until 26th July, 1958.

These heirs all became automatically Dukes of Cornwall and Rothesay on becoming the eldest living son and heir apparent to the throne.

The title Prince of Wales can also be held by anyone who is the heir apparent to the throne even if not the eldest son e.g. George III was created Prince of Wales by his grandfather after the death of his own father but George III was never able to be Duke of Cornwall or Rothesay as he was never the eldest living son of the monarch who was also the heir apparent.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I am sure it's no longer possible legally possible for the UK to create a Dukedom of Melbourne or Sydney, etc.,
One should not forget that both towns were named after British peers. Sydney was named after the 1. Viscount Sydney, while Melbourne was named after the 2. Viscount Melbourne, both high ranked politicians of their time.

As the original place "Melbourne Hall" is still in Derbyshire, UK, the queen could well decide to create the title, which belonged once to the Lambs, viscounts Melbourne of Melbourne Hall but is extinct since 1853, new for William.

The title of Lord Sydney (the last one was Earl Sydney who died in 1890) is extinct as well, thus available for a new creation. The first Lord Sydney
took the title Sydney to commemorate his descent from Robert Sidney, 2nd Earl of Leicester, who in turn had traced his descent from a Surrey yeoman, John de Sydenie. The name Sydenie derives from a village in Normandy called Saint-Denis.

Ok, the queen wouldn't do it... but she could. Create William duke of Sydney or Melbourne without any links to Australia.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge? A primer on royal titles - Yahoo! News

In our second Q&A (read the first) with our royal expert Laura Trevelyan, we tackle the confusing issue of royal titles. There's the lingering question of what Prince William's wife-to-be, Kate Middleton, will be called: will she inherit Diana's title, the Princess of Wales?

-------

Some "expert."
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes. It's frightening.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This woman is no expert!

"BBCA: Why is Camilla not the Princess of Wales?
Charles is the Prince of Wales and also the Duke of Cornwall. As Diana had been the Princess of Wales, Camilla couldn't very well have that title once she married Charles, so she became the Duchess of Cornwall"

They should have checked with TRF before printing this article. Camilla IS The Princess of Wales but just chooses to be known as (styled) as The Duchess of Cornwall. What gets me is people out there are reading this stuff and actually believing it!

- - - - - - - -

Actually it would be very possible in years to come that Kate will become The Princess of Wales should Charles as King create his son William The Prince of Wales. Hopefully that's a long way down the road yet.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Nobility

I was so annoyed by that article when I read it awhile ago that I didn't even bother posting a link here, lol.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Courtier

This may have been asked already, but, when would we find out if they are to receive a title upon marriage? Will we really not know until the wedding day, or is it something that would be released beforehand?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Administrator

If a new title is going to be announced, I would think it would be announced on the actual wedding day or a day before that. I believe that is what happened with both Andrew and Edward.

No earlier than that in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Her Royal Highness The Princess William Arthur Phillip Louis, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland.

That is Camilla's current title.
New to the thread, but without reading through all 28 pages of replies to see if this had been mentioned, Camilla isn't married to William (obviously). She's married to Charles Philip Arthur George.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
BBCA: What might Kate Middleton be called once she marries William?
LT: As things stand, she will become Her Royal Highness Catherine when she gets married because William doesn't have a territorial title. He is a royal prince. However, if as expected, the Queen confers an Earldom or a Dukedom on William, either before or after his marriage then she will be Countess Catherine if William is given an Earldom, or Duchess Catherine if William is given a Dukedom. In the grand scheme of things, a Duke is senior to an Earl so William could well become a Duke as he is in direct line to the throne.
Dear me, HRH Catherine? And this woman calls herself an "expert" ?`It would only take 5 minute tops for her to check Wikipedia. or she can of course check here
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I saw the "discussion" on yahoo and stopped reading after the 2nd error. Where do they find these people? Surely not at TRF

Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kikky View Post
New to the thread, but without reading through all 28 pages of replies to see if this had been mentioned, Camilla isn't married to William (obviously). She's married to Charles Philip Arthur George.
Someone asked what her title would be when she was Princess of Wales, I illustrated that by saying "This is Camilla's title at the moment" meaning it will be exactly the same when Catherine becomes Princess of Wales.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

I think the confusion is that in your initial email you referred to Camilla's title as Her Royal Highness The Princess William Arthur Phillip Louis, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland and not The Princess Charles Phillip Arthur George.

Basically Camilla is married to William, and at present he is not Princes of Wales or any of that other stuff.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I changed the name, seeing as it would be Catherine's future title, didn't think it would be that confusing.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge? A primer on royal titles - Yahoo! News

In our second Q&A (read the first) with our royal expert Laura Trevelyan, we tackle the confusing issue of royal titles. There's the lingering question of what Prince William's wife-to-be, Kate Middleton, will be called: will she inherit Diana's title, the Princess of Wales?

-------

Some "expert."

All most all the answers are wrong lol
Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I saw the "discussion" on yahoo and stopped reading after the 2nd error. Where do they find these people? Surely not at TRF

Surely not. However, I've come to realize that the people who post here have an interest in royalty, so we know things like this, as opposed to people who have no interest in it. It's an easy mistake for someone to make, to refer to Catherine as HRH Princess Catherine, if they don't know that she won't become a princess in her own right and will follow the style convention of other commoner brides who have married into the BRF.

I guess that's what sets us apart.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

The discussion of what may have happened if Queen Adelaide had given birth after Queen Victoria's accession has been moved to the Queen Victoria thread.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Surely not. However, I've come to realize that the people who post here have an interest in royalty, so we know things like this, as opposed to people who have no interest in it. It's an easy mistake for someone to make, to refer to Catherine as HRH Princess Catherine, if they don't know that she won't become a princess in her own right and will follow the style convention of other commoner brides who have married into the BRF.

I guess that's what sets us apart.
So after I read that appallingly error-ridden Yahoo article about Catherine's titles, I decided to check out the original BBC America article from which Yahoo used.
Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge? A Primer on Royal Titles | BBCAmerica - Anglophenia blog
It seems BBCA article corrected itself (and Yahoo printed the unedited version) made note of the corrections at the bottom of the page. Of course they still got the "why Camilla is Duchess of Cornwall and not Princess of Wales" thing wrong. People always say that Wikipedia cannot be trusted because everyone can edit it, but seriously, it does a much better and way more accurate explaining titles in their articles.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Don't know if this has been asked before, but could one of Charles' minor titles, say Earl of Carrick, be peeled off and given to William, thus making Kate "HRH Catherine, Countess of Carrick". Isn't that what happens at birth with other sons, like Viscount Severn, Lord Downpatrick, etc? Or are Charles' titles indivisible, so to speak?

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding