The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Commoner

Thanks so much for answering my questions branchg and Iluvbertie!! I just love how much I am learning from everyone here at TRF!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
It doesn't seem like there would be any particular reason to depart from the usual title, though -- why change it to Princess Catherine? Isn't it also incorrect to refer to Diana as Princess Diana (as the media did all the time?) Wasn't her title (before divorce), HRH Diana, Princess of Wales? Or is "The" supposed to be in there?
No her name is not mentioned and the..The is included so her title would be....HRH The Princess of Wales

Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Commoner

I wish His Royal Highness and Ms Middleton could be granted a Commonwealth title...such as Duke/Duchess of Sydney/Melbourne/Perth etc.

If Catherine is with child and gives birth to a girl, then they have another girl and no more children, will that first female child succeed to the Throne as Queen Regnant?

I wish we could have another Victoria or even another Elizabeth named after there great grandmother...we could have an Elizabeth III.

Say there is two girls...would the eldest be granted the title/style of HRH Princess of Wales in her own right...or even say her name was Victoria...HRH The Princess Victoria of say Windsor as the family name is Windsor...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Commoner

If Catherine is with child and gives birth to a girl, then they have another girl and no more children, will that first female child succeed to the Throne as Queen Regnant?

Yes the first female born would succeed to the throne
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Majesty

I think that there would be a huge outcry in this case, because the Commonwealth countries, at least the ones that I know of, don't recognize aristocratic titles. Immigrants left that behind in the "old country."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam20045 View Post
1.I wish His Royal Highness and Ms Middleton could be granted a Commonwealth title...such as Duke/Duchess of Sydney/Melbourne/Perth etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Say there is two girls...would the eldest be granted the title/style of HRH Princess of Wales in her own right...or even say her name was Victoria...HRH The Princess Victoria of say Windsor as the family name is Windsor...
No woman has ever been made Princess of Wales in her own right. It was considered in 1947 for the present Queen, but rejected. (I think it's more likely that it would happen now, although obviously I don't have a crystal ball.) She wouldn't be "of Windsor." She would simply be The Princess Victoria during William's reign.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Commoner

If Princess Anne had already died she could eventually be created Princess Royal.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Nobility

That would not be possible, since it is a title granted by the British monarch to his/her eldest daughter. The next Princess Royal could be William and Catherine's eldest daughter, but there can only be one Princess Royal at a time.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Administrator

That is what Princess Agnes is suggesting.

The question is what title a Princess Victoria (daughter of William and Catherine) would hold while William is King....either Princess Royal or Princess of Wales in her own right.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Gentry

Okay, this should really upset the applecart, but just a thought...

William and Catherine have, in the following order, daughter, daughter, son. By then, they have passed absolute primogeniture, so possibly (real outside chance, I know), we could have The Princess of Wales (in her own right), The Princess Royal (oldest daughter who is not the heiress), and The Duke of Somewhere...

This is just a thought, so please no coronaries or aneurysms over this...just a possibility.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Good situation to think about.

I don't think that if the first daughter is The Princess of Wales (can't see them wanting to over turn years and years of precedence) than the 2nd daughter will be the Princess Royal. That would be doing a lot of new things at one time.

But I guess if they are using absolute primogeniture anything is possible.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm hoping they make an eldest daughter Princess of Wales in their own right.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Administrator

The problem with that is if she marries, what will her husband be...just HRH The Duke of what not or HRH Prince of Wales?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well it's only fair for him to become Prince of Wales, like a commoner becomes a Princess of Wales if she marries the heir?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well it's only fair for him to become Prince of Wales, like a commoner becomes a Princess of Wales if she marries the heir?
It would be only fair but I don't think that is a situation that will happen.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well it would be up to William & Charles should the situation arise?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator

It certainly is up to them. Just as any new title is up to the Queen.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Royal Highness

Is a Queen Regnant the same as Queen? Is that the formal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The problem with that is if she marries, what will her husband be...just HRH The Duke of what not or HRH Prince of Wales?
maybe she could be HRH The Princess of Wales (Will and Kate's daughter) and her husband could be Duke of Cornwall (like Camilla is now- did I get that title correct?)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen Regnant is a female monarch who reigns in her own right, opposed to a Queen Consort.
That's a good idea.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

A Queen Regnant is the Sovereign, the Reigning Monarch.
A Queen Consort is the spouse of the King.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding