The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
I like the title Duke of Monmouth; I think it sounds better than Duke of Clarence, or Duke of Cambridge.

Although, as soon as Charles succeeds to the throne, won't William become Duke of Cornwall?
__________________

  #462  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I like the title Duke of Monmouth; I think it sounds better than Duke of Clarence, or Duke of Cambridge.

Although, as soon as Charles succeeds to the throne, won't William become Duke of Cornwall?

Yes - the instant Charles becomes King William becomes Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay etc but not Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. These titles will have to be recreated for William.

Given the Queen Mother's longevity William might have to wait another 10 - 20 years before becoming Duke of Cornwall.
__________________

  #463  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes - the instant Charles becomes King William becomes Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay etc but not Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. These titles will have to be recreated for William.

Given the Queen Mother's longevity William might have to wait another 10 - 20 years before becoming Duke of Cornwall.

So, if William is given a title like Duke of Monmouth when he marries, does that mean he'll keep both titles when Charles becomes king? (That and also Duke of Cornwall)?
  #464  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
So, if William is given a title like Duke of Monmouth when he marries, does that mean he'll keep both titles when Charles becomes king? (That and also Duke of Cornwall)?

Yes - in 1901 that was exactly what happened to George V. He was Duke of York and when Victoria died he added Duke of Cornwall etc.

When he came to Australia that year to open the first ever Australian Parliament on the 9th May he did so as officially the Duke of Cornwall and York - and the official programmes from that day refer to him as such.

Just an aside for people who may not know why George VI and Queen Elizabeth left their baby daughter in 1927 for six months or so - it was so that he could open the first Australian Parliament House - on the 9th May 1927. Then in 1988, Queen Elizabeth II opened the new Parliament House and you guessed it - 9th May. That was also why she wasn't here for the Bicentenary Celebrations and send Charles and Diana along for that in January that year.

Of course Charles could prevent that mouthful from happening by simply creating William Prince of Wales immediately - and that would trump all other titles but the precedent of Edward VII could mean that he waits some time before conferring that title on his son - Edward VII waited until his own birthday later in 1901 before creating George V Prince of Wales.
  #465  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
Duke of Monmouth? I don't know. The first Duke of Monmouth was illegitimate and came to such a bad end. It's not a title I'd want to bear.
  #466  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Lenora's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 2,288
How about the titles of Duke Richmond-Lenox or Dorset?
  #467  
Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
How about the titles of Duke Richmond-Lenox or Dorset?
There already is an existing Duke of Richmond
  #468  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Pardon me, but I can´t stop laughing when I read the title Duke of Monmouth - to me it sounds like: Duke of Mammooth
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #469  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Pardon me, but I can´t stop laughing when I read the title Duke of Monmouth - to me it sounds like: Duke of Mammooth

Sorry but what is 'mammooth'? I don't know this word.
  #470  
Old 12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sorry but what is 'mammooth'? I don't know this word.
Mammooth is an animal from the ice age. This is a mammooth
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #471  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194

Thank you.
I still don't get what is so funny but...
  #472  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Jessi3172000's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 3
Mamooth! Thank you for pointing out exactly what I was thinking! I thought I was just saying Monmouth funny or something! There's no way I could have that title and not think of that! I'm sure it's a great title to have, my sense of humor is just odd, I guess.

I like the sound of Duke of Cambridge. But I wonder if Kate would then always wear the Cambridge Lovers' Knot Tiara that Di made famous (to me, anyway). The ring, the tiara... that might be a bit much.

What are the odds of HM creating a new or recreating an old title for Wills? Perhaps it'll be something we haven't even thought of. A wildcard, like making Edward an Earl was.
  #473  
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes - in 1901 that was exactly what happened to George V. He was Duke of York and when Victoria died he added Duke of Cornwall etc. When he came to Australia that year to open the first ever Australian Parliament on the 9th May he did so as officially the Duke of Cornwall and York - and the official programmes from that day refer to him as such.
Might that be too many ducal titles for him? Also how likely is it that Prince William will become Prince of Wales after his father? I had heard that is becoming unlikely
  #474  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Might that be too many ducal titles for him? Also how likely is it that Prince William will become Prince of Wales after his father? I had heard that is becoming unlikely
It would be no more ducal titles than George V had due to being in the same position - eldest surviving son of the Prince of Wales.

The PoW title will be discussed at the appropriate time and it maybe that the Welsh Assembly and Chief Minister advise either for or against it but Charles, I am sure, will seek their advice and act accordingly.
  #475  
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM
LadyNemesis's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Knoxville, United States
Posts: 17
Well here's just a thought, why couldn't William just let his oldest son use whatever title he is given at marriage as a courtesy title when Charles becomes King and William becomes
Duke of Cornwall....provided of course that he and Kate have a son at that time.
__________________
~~The Lady Nemesis~~
  #476  
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
Duke of Monmouth? I don't know. The first Duke of Monmouth was illegitimate and came to such a bad end. It's not a title I'd want to bear.

There were always rumors that he really was legitimate, because Charles II and Lucy Walter went through a secret marriage while Charles II was in exile.
  #477  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Mammooth is an animal from the ice age. This is a mammooth

That's actually a wooly mammoth. Not a mammooth.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #478  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 119
Yes, Mirabel, I'm aware of the rumors, but I think they were entirely fanciful. Given Charles's hope of being restored to the throne, it seems quite unlikely that he would have contracted a secret marriage with the unsuitable Lucy. She wasn't low-born by any means, but she wasn't an appropriate future queen consort either. Given Charles's reputation, if there was some sort of ceremony, I think it likely that it wasn't valid and was arranged for the obvious reason. But a ceremony probably wasn't necessary; Lucy, by all accounts, wasn't a blushing virgin.
  #479  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi3172000 View Post
Mamooth! Thank you for pointing out exactly what I was thinking! I thought I was just saying Monmouth funny or something! There's no way I could have that title and not think of that! I'm sure it's a great title to have, my sense of humor is just odd, I guess.
¨
You´re so welcome. I´m just glad that someone has the same weird sense of humor as I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Thank you.

I still don't get what is so funny but...
It´s just the pronounciation that I think is funny Weird sense of humor, I know
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.
  #480  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi3172000 View Post
What are the odds of HM creating a new or recreating an old title for Wills? Perhaps it'll be something we haven't even thought of. A wildcard, like making Edward an Earl was.
As the fount of honours, The Queen can create any title she wants for William. While the speculation is focused on Duke of Cambridge, it could be something entirely different, as when Prince Edward was created Earl of Wessex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNemesis View Post
Well here's just a thought, why couldn't William just let his oldest son use whatever title he is given at marriage as a courtesy title when Charles becomes King and William becomes Duke of Cornwall....provided of course that he and Kate have a son at that time.
Under the 1917 Letters Patent, if William has a son while his grandmother still reigns, he would automatically be HRH Prince of the UK as the eldest son of the eldest son of The Prince of Wales.

All of William's children would become HRH automatically once Charles becomes King as male-line grandchildren of The Sovereign. Otherwise, they would hold courtesy styles as the children of a Duke.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit calendar catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece harald illegitimate children kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander may 2016 member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion royal visits september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to france succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises