The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
They call Camilla by her title and not Princess Camilla. Same with Sophie. I think Diana got called Princess Diana because they didn't want to type out Diana, Princess of Wales.
Possible because Camilla has a Duchess title and Sophie has a Countess title. Diana was Princess of Wales so Princess Diana seemed easier.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They call Camilla by her title and not Princess Camilla. Same with Sophie. I think Diana got called Princess Diana because they didn't want to type out Diana, Princess of Wales.
Camilla and Sophie are not referred to as Princess Camilla or Princess Sophie because for one, those aren't their titles and two, their husbands are peers and they are known by the corresponding title -- The Duchess of Cornwall and The Countess of Wessex. If Edward wasn't a peer and was still known as The Prince Edward officially, then Sophie might get the "Princess Sophie" treatment in the press, or she might be referred to correctly, HRH The Princess Edward.

Diana was called Princess Diana both while she was married and afterward, but if a reporter or journalist she was interviewed by called her as such, she was quick to correct them.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Guys we are just repeating ourselves.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part of the reason Diana was often called "Princess Diana" was because she was "HRH The Princess of Wales". Unlike Camilla or Sophie, she was not styled as a Duchess or Countess, so it was easier to fall into the habit of calling her that. No one ever referred to The Duchess of York as "Princess Sarah" either while married.

Ironically, Diana herself did not like being called "Princess Diana" because she felt being "Princess of Wales" was only topped by being Queen. To her, there were plenty of Princesses running around already, but only one Princess of Wales.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Agreed. Since she is going to be so low profile what about no title at all. She could be called Mrs. Kate Wales when she goes on engagements and save the titles when Charles becomes king.
OHHH.. I think Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor has a classy ring to it too.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Possible because Camilla has a Duchess title and Sophie has a Countess title. Diana was Princess of Wales so Princess Diana seemed easier.
I just remember that the press insisted on calling her Lady Di when they got engaged, and just went from that to Princess Di, then later Princess Diana. It was said at the time that her title was never Princess Diana, but that didn't stop everyone from saying it, perhaps because The Princess of Wales seemed like a mouthful -- although so is the Duchess of Cornwall, but the press says that; but most of the time they just call her Camilla. Maybe like the press members who never stopped calling Diana "Lady Di" even after she was married.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was a unique situation as the first woman to marry The Prince of Wales since HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark married HRH The Prince Edward, Prince of Wales. There was a tremendous amount of publicity and media coverage of the wedding and she was only 19 years old at the time. Once she gave birth to William, she became an important person in her own right as the mother of the future King.

Catherine is not in the same situation and the idea is to avoid all the stresses and pressure that Diana endured from the moment she married into the family. It seems to me that being a Countess or Duchess, rather than Princess Catherine, lowers her profile a bit and would be better in achieving that goal.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought the Heir Presumptive was automatically Duke of Clarence?
Or don't they want to use that title because the last Duke of Clarence had such a poor reputation?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Or don't they want to use that title because the last Duke of Clarence had such a poor reputation?

No - William IV was Duke of Clarence but he was only heir presumptive for about 2 years - from the death of his older brother The Duke of York until the death of George IV. George VI was also heir presumptive throughout 1936 but was already Duke of York and didn't add an automatic title on the death of his father to indicate that new position.

The next Duke of Clarence was in William's position - heir apparent to the heir apparent but when he died his brother was created Duke of York.

There is no automatic title for an heir presumptive partly because they can be replaced in the line of succession.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There is no automatic Peerage for the male heir to the heir. The last one was Prince Eddy, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, who died before his father, Edward, Prince of Wales, became King Edward VII.

His brother, George, Duke of York, married Eddy's financee, Princess Mary of Teck, and they automatically became The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York when Queen Victoria died in 1901. At the end of the year, they became The Prince and Princess of Wales.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Serene Highness

I'm still on page 10.....

Just want to say that I am learning soooooo much on this thread! In fact, I think following the conversation has been a wonderful corrective for my incipient dementia.

However, round about post #198, my eyes began to glaze over as I tried to keep straight the 'peregrinations' of the titles of Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay. I am trusting (hoping) that my 'brain freeze' is the result of the late hour and the considerable concentration I have vested to follow all the subtleties.

It does help that the information is routinely stated - then stated wrong - then correctly stated - kind of like a quiz. I can spot the errors now!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
OHHH.. I think Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor has a classy ring to it too.
Wouldn't she be Mrs. Catherine Windsor as the Mountbatten-Windsor name is reserved for those male descendants of the queen who are not in the direct line to the throne. But William is, so his family name is only Windsor.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Wouldn't she be Mrs. Catherine Windsor as the Mountbatten-Windsor name is reserved for those male descendants of the queen who are not in the direct line to the throne. But William is, so his family name is only Windsor.

The Mountbatten-Windsor is for her descendents who don't have HRH or who don't have another surname so if William does have an actual surname - and that is debatable in itself - it would be Mountbatten-Windsor.

We know that the registry records have Mountbatten-Windsor recorded as the surname of Anne, Charles and Andrew at some time (I am not sure about Edward but I wouldn't be surprised if his says the same thing). Who put that there is open for discussion as well but if the official records can use that name for the monarch's own children then I think we can say that if William has a surname then it is the full Mountbatten-Windsor (as it should be - Philip should be able to pass his name to his descendents).
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

The continuing discussion about the York daughters has been moved to the Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie thread.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
When a surname is necessary, William is Mountbatten-Windsor as a descendant of Philip and The Queen. All other descendants of George V in the male line use Windsor.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Courtier

Duke and Duchess of Monmouth????

Could Wills and Kate become the new Duke and Duchess of Monmouth? | Mail Online
Old 12-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post

I read this too but dismissed it right away ... I hope not in my opinion..I hate the sound of it...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

For a future Prince of Wales - Duke of Monmouth sounds good to me.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Courtier

The international press will just call her Princess Kate or Catherine anyway, so I could see the Queen making an exception. I know the press is saying it will cause some drama in the family, particularly with Princess Michael of Kent, but William out ranks Michael. So...that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
The international press will just call her Princess Kate or Catherine anyway, so I could see the Queen making an exception. I know the press is saying it will cause some drama in the family, particularly with Princess Michael of Kent, but William out ranks Michael. So...that shouldn't be a problem.

Rank isn't the issue - tradition and rules are.

Giving her a title in her own right also mean that she keeps it on divorce (which I hope doesn't happen but given his family's record it can't be ruled out).

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding