The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just because he would become to Duke of Cambridge, I don't see how he would be getting involved in the rivalry. It's a petty feud designed to motivate the graduates.
Is there an equivalent Duke of Oxford title?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

There isn't a Duke of Oxford but there has been an Earl of Oxford - currently paired with the Earl of Asquith title for the descendents of the WW1 PM Lord Asquith - Earl of Oxford and Asquith.

There is no reason why there couldn't also be a Duke of Oxford but it is rare when there is a current Earldom to create a Duke of that title.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm sure Oxford University isn't going to mind if William becomes The Duke of Cambridge.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Royal Highness

I would like William and Catherine to become the Duke and Duchess of the Royal County of Berkshire. As he is already the Ranger of Windsor Great Park (a position he took over from Prince Philip) and the second-in-line to inherit Windsor Castle and she is born IIRC in Berkshire or at least lved there for most of her life, this would be a very suitable title, IMHO.

That's what Wiki says about Berkshire: "

Berkshire is a historic county in the South East of England. It is also often referred to as the Royal County of Berkshire because of the presence of the royal residence of Windsor Castle in the county; this usage, which dates to the 19th century at least, was recognised by the Queen in 1958, and letters patent issued confirming this in 1974.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the press drops the 'William' and refers to her as 'Princess of Wales', much like Diana was called. Camilla's not using the title although she's entitled to it.
The press makes mistakes, but that kind of mistake would be caught.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Nobility

If the Queen opts to give William a title, I think Duke of Cambridge would be a nice nod to their family history since Queen Mary came from the Cambridge family.

However, the question remains whether William would get a dukedom at all on his marriage. While it's been traditional for a very long time, we've seen the current royal family stepping away from that custom with Edward opting for an earldom and Anne rejecting any titles for her husband and children. The idea has been that not handing out titles will make the "royal" family smaller. However, William is second in line to the throne so he will always be an integral part of the royal family regardless of what title he has.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
However, William is second in line to the throne so he will always be an integral part of the royal family regardless of what title he has.
Exactly.... he's close enough to the "top job" to merit a title AND close enough not to need one.

Why must everything be suspenseful??
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I would like William and Catherine to become the Duke and Duchess of the Royal County of Berkshire. As he is already the Ranger of Windsor Great Park (a position he took over from Prince Philip)

According to my research Philip is still in this position although it has been rumoured that William may take it over when Philip steps down.

Berkshire History: Rangers of Windsor Great Park
Ranger of Windsor Great Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Duke of Cambrige Baron of Berkshire Viscount Cardiff
More likely, the Viscountcy or Barony would be Bucklebury or Berkshire, reflecting Kate's growing up there. I think the Earldom will reflect being next in-line to become Duke of Cornwall (Earl of Truro).

Cambridge makes the most sense if he is created a Duke, but The Queen could also create him Earl of Cambridge instead.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Queen Mary's brother was a Marquess of Cambridge, I believe. However, there were no male heirs to inherit the title. It could still be a possibility.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Discussion of jewels has been moved to the Tiaras and Jewels for Catherine Middleton thread in the Royal Jewels forum.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Royal wedding: Prince William asks the Queen not to make him a duke - Telegraph

The Queen faces a dilemma over what to call Kate Middleton after Prince William suggests that she should become 'Princess Catherine'.

Mandrake can disclose that the 28 year-old has, however, let it be known that he would prefer to remain Prince William rather than be made a duke.

"He says he was born Prince William and wants to continue to be known as that," says a courtier. "He wants Kate to become Princess Catherine."
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If he has really asked the Queen to create Catherine a Princess in her own right then he is more obssessed with his title than I thought.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

If she is to become Princess Catherine then new LPs will have to be issued and I suppose that will mean that Camilla, Sophie, Birgitte, Katherine and Marie-Christine of Kent will all have to become HRH Princess own name as well.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If he has really asked the Queen to create Catherine a Princess in her own right then he is more obssessed with his title than I thought.
For me this reads more like he is obsessed with Catherine. After all the problems caused by his parent's divorce, I actually don't see it happen. If he really asked his grandmother, then it goes to show how much he loves Catherine. But I highly doubt that the queen will grant her the title of a princess. The British monarchy has a different tradition from other Royal Houses, a tradition based so deep in history and in society (think of the children of dukes or marquesses) that I don't think this queen will change that.

Plus it is a valuable point to mention Princess Michael - if Catherine becomes Princess Catherine on marrying the grandson of a queen, then she should become Princess Marie-Christine as wife of a grandson of a king.

As for staying "Prnce William" - his father was born "Prince Charles of Edinburgh", the became "The Prince Charles" and later "The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales". And all the world still call him just "Prince Charles". So even if the queen gives a dukedom to William, he will still be known as "Prince William".
Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Courtier

Who is "Mandrake" that the author of this article is quoting?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn

For me this reads more like he is obsessed with Catherine.".

Or obsessed with protecting her, if this article is true. Which is sweet but also he does have to respect the history of the royal house too. If he did ask maybe it's because they are not planning to take royal duties too much yet so he doesn't want Catherine with a duchess title
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

If true, I doubt The Queen will accept this suggestion. If her two daughter-in-laws, as wives of sons of The Sovereign, are not permitted the style, I cannot imagine she will allow Catherine to assume it.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Gentry

With respect some journalists, myself included, consider it almost a sacred duty, and certainly a responsibility to get things right.
I don't have the privilege of reporting on royalty but in covering hard news it is
Vital to get the facts straight, the quotes correct, and to remain as unbiased in my writing as possible.
Ones reputation can be made or
Broken as a result of ones accuracy.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've read in British Royal Info that William his grandmother,the Queen,not to give the title of Duke or any other.Could it be true?

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding