The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Diana's titles before the marriage; HRH The Princess of Wales, also HRH Duchess of Cornwall, and in Scotland, HRH The Duchess of Rothesay ... after the divorce, following the style of divorced wives of Peers -- Diana, Princess of Wales ...

The "The" is only for children of the soveriegn. HRH The Princess Anne. HRH The Prince Andrew, HRH The Prince edward ... all of which ceased to be official styles when they were created Princess Royal, Duke of York and Earl of Wessex. Michael's wife is HRH Princess Michael of Kent ... no The.
Thanks for making that much clearer.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
Diana's titles before during the marriage; HRH The Princess of Wales, also HRH Duchess of Cornwall, and in Scotland, HRH The Duchess of Rothesay ... after the divorce, following the style of divorced wives of Peers -- Diana, Princess of Wales ...
Fixed that for you. Before her marriage, she was of course Lady Diana Spencer.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Clarence is highly unlikely, but I do think William will be created an Earl on his wedding day. He is second in-line to the throne and will no doubt prefer Catherine have a style of her own, rather than being "HRH Princess William". A Dukedom is probably not in the cards at this time, given that he will continue to keep a relatively low profile and continue his military service.

In addition, given The Queen's excellent health and the fact her mother lived to be over 100, she could be on the throne another 15 years, which is a long time to wait to become The Duke of Cornwall. There is also the possibility Charles will not survive to become King or his reign would be brief due to his age. So, William may indeed be created a Duke by his grandmother on his wedding day, which is entirely within the will of The Sovereign.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Majesty

This post makes a great deal of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I do think William will be created an Earl on his wedding day. He is second in-line to the throne and will no doubt prefer Catherine have a style of her own, rather than being "HRH Princess William". A Dukedom is probably not in the cards at this time, given that he will continue to keep a relatively low profile and continue his military service.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Courtier

u

I really don't think an earldom will be given to William, over a dukedom. I could see Harry being made an earl if he marries before the Queen's death. However, William is second in line to the throne and as such he should have a title that reflects that. I don't think his military service should have any bearing on his title since he is doing his duty for his country either way, and his low profile can only last so long.

The Queen is 84 years old. Although her mother lived to 100, that does not guarantee that she will as well. From all appearances there is a deep love and respect between the Queen and her husband and they have been true partners throughout her reign as Queen. Once he passes, no one can predict how that will affect her emotionally and physically. She is a strong woman, but there are limits even for her.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I do think William will be created an Earl on his wedding day. He is second in-line to the throne and will no doubt prefer Catherine have a style of her own, rather than being "HRH Princess William". A Dukedom is probably not in the cards at this time, given that he will continue to keep a relatively low profile and continue his military service.
I don't know. I mean, if he is created a Duke, would that mean he has to have a higher profile, or couldn't continue his military service? It seems to me he could still do that, whether he's a Duke or an Earl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
The Queen is 84 years old. Although her mother lived to 100, that does not guarantee that she will as well. From all appearances there is a deep love and respect between the Queen and her husband and they have been true partners throughout her reign as Queen. Once he passes, no one can predict how that will affect her emotionally and physically. She is a strong woman, but there are limits even for her.
Yes, and sadly, Princess Margaret did not live as long as their mother. Although I hope the Queen has many more years, I would like to see Prince Charles eventually become king.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Yes, and sadly, Princess Margaret did not live as long as their mother. Although I hope the Queen has many more years, I would like to see Prince Charles eventually become king.
True, however Princess Margaret led a very different life than Queen Elizabeth. She was a heavy smoker and a heavy drinker to boot, which didn't help her longevity chances.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the question of whether William will be created a Duke or an Earl is one that he will discuss with The Queen and Palace advisors. It certainly makes sense for the second in-line to the throne to become a Duke upon marriage, but a different outcome is entirely possible.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ok so only his first son will be a Prince if it is born in the current reign? also what do you think of
Duke of Cambridge
Viscount Sussex
Baron Of Berkshire for HRH

Duke of Cambrige Baron of Berkshire Viscount Cardiff
Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think William's second title will be Sussex.
If William gets Cambridge I could see Harry getting Sussex as a Dukedom.
I also think William's second title will be an earldom not a viscountcy.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM

I think the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a nice ring to it, but nobody really knows yet. It's all speculation at this stage.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The more I've thought about this and read about this, the more I am inclined to think that on April 29th William will be created the Duke of Cambridge. Along those lines and I think quite fitting, we will see Catherine wearing the Cambridge Lovers Knot tiara. This tiara has a history on both sides of William's family. The current Lovers Knot tiara was made in 1913 for Queen Mary and in the Windsor family since then. QEII did give this tiara to Diana to wear but it was returned to Buckingham Palace at her death.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Cambridge is a very strong possibility. Perhaps Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Truro, Viscount Bucklebury.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroyalwedding View Post
I think the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a nice ring to it, but nobody really knows yet. It's all speculation at this stage.

I agree. This would be my preferred title for the couple.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

IMHO, for some reason Cambridge sounds more "grand" and "important" than Sussex.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. the name "Cambridge" has a certain cachet because of the university. It means "the bridge over the River Cam".

By comparison, the name Oxford means "a ford where cattle can cross" .......

Sussex is also not exciting - it means the South Saxons.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Commoner

I think I read somewhere that the Duchy of Lancaster was being considered as a potential title, Duke and Duchess of Lancaster has a nice ring to it, although I must agree that Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also sound fitting.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't the Queen herself the Duke of Lancaster?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Isn't the Queen herself the Duke of Lancaster?
Yes, the Queen is the Duke of Lancaster. The Duchy of Lancaster exists as a separate entity from the Crown Estate and currently provides income for the monarch. The Sovereign is styled as Duke of Lancaster, regardless of gender.

The actual dukedom (3rd Creation) became extinct with the death of Henry VI in 1471, because the original charter restricted it to 'heirs male'. Now it is an honorary title and royal style of the sovereign.

There is no way this title will be considered for Prince William and Catherine Middleton. When he succeeds to the crown, William will become the Duke of Lancaster anyway.. although Prince Charles will get it first, provided he outlives his mother.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Courtier

Although I agree that Cambridge has a grand sound to it as a title for the couple, would it not be best to go for Sussex as to not get involved in the rivalry between Cambridge and Oxford?

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding