Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually a wooly mammoth. Not a mammooth.
Ha! You're totally right. I thought it looked strange, but couldn't put my finger on why. It's not exactly a word I spell everyday...

Why is all the focus on Cambridge? I know there are several that have been mentioned, but that one most of all. Is it a better one? Is there a hierarchy of which titles are "preferred"? Sorry if I'm behind. I guess I need to take a Peerage 101 class. (Is Peerage even the right word?):ermm:

That's actually a wooly mammoth. Not a mammooth.
Ahh, sorry, I just googled and took the photo I know as a mammoth. But it´s the pronounciation that is important here - not the exact animal :)

BTW, what is the right spelling? Mammooth or mammoth? :flowers:

Well here's just a thought, why couldn't William just let his oldest son use whatever title he is given at marriage as a courtesy title when Charles becomes King and William becomes
Duke of Cornwall....provided of course that he and Kate have a son at that time.

The reason why nobles' sons are allowed to use courtesy titles is because they will inherit the substantive titles one day. So Viscount Severn will inherit the Earldom of Wessex. Had he been using the HRH Prince title he wouldn't be known as Viscount Severn but HRH Prince James.

If Kate and William have a son that son will be born HRH Prince xxxxx of yyyy and unless William dies before the Queen the son wouldn't inherit that title - ever as the title would merge with the Crown when William became king.

The reason why nobles' sons are allowed to use courtesy titles is because they will inherit the substantive titles one day. So Viscount Severn will inherit the Earldom of Wessex. Had he been using the HRH Prince title he wouldn't be known as Viscount Severn but HRH Prince James.

I never liked that title - Earl of Wessex- because it was used in the movie Shakespeare In Love.
So it seems somehow bogus, not like a real title.

Ahh, sorry, I just googled and took the photo I know as a mammoth. But it´s the pronounciation that is important here - not the exact animal :)

BTW, what is the right spelling? Mammooth or mammoth? :flowers:

Mammoth is the correct spelling. :)

And it made me think of that, too!

It would be no more ducal titles than George V had due to being in the same position - eldest surviving son of the Prince of Wales.

The PoW title will be discussed at the appropriate time and it maybe that the Welsh Assembly and Chief Minister advise either for or against it but Charles, I am sure, will seek their advice and act accordingly.

Not trying to venture off topic but did The Queen consult the Welsh Assembly when she made Prince Charles, Prince of Wales? It could also be that William could decide against it.

As for the many ducal titles....I feel like while it worked for the time period George V was in I am not certain it would work for now. One title certainly conveys the royal status quite nicely.

I never liked that title - Earl of Wessex- because it was used in the movie Shakespeare In Love.
So it seems somehow bogus, not like a real title.
I read somewhere (on here, I think) that Prince Edward was such a fan of that movie that he requested that particular title. It seems a little far-fetched, or maybe just shallow, that he would base such a huge thing on a movie.

Not trying to venture off topic but did The Queen consult the Welsh Assembly when she made Prince Charles, Prince of Wales? It could also be that William could decide against it.

As for the many ducal titles....I feel like while it worked for the time period George V was in I am not certain it would work for now. One title certainly conveys the royal status quite nicely.

There was no Welsh Assembly in 1958 when the Queen created Charles Prince of Wales so she wouldn't have had anyone to consult. She would have consulted the British PM about the timing as well as discussed it within her family. Many ideas we take for granted today simply didn't exist 50 years ago.

The independence movement is very small but vocal - they made a lot of noise at Charles' investiture in 1969 - but their support isn't widespread but is growing a little bit.

By the time Charles becomes King the situation may have changed and it could be stronger. I

It is highly likely The Queen and her grandfather, George V, both consulted with their Prime Ministers before creating a new Prince of Wales. The sensitivity of the matter to the Welsh has been a factor for many years and is considered a political question, which requires the Crown to consult the Government prior to acting.

Ah yes branchg, I had forgotten about that, but what about a 2nd son, could he use the title as a courtesy title since a younger son wouldn't be a Prince? That way he would at least have a title to use.

Ah yes branchg, I had forgotten about that, but what about a 2nd son, could he use the title as a courtesy title since a younger son wouldn't be a Prince? That way he would at least have a title to use.

No, because the eldest son is still the heir to his father's peerages, regardless of his style as HRH Prince of the UK. It is unnecessary for him to use the style of the heir to a Peerage as being a Prince of the UK in his own right takes precedence.

A younger son of William's born in the present reign would have the title of Lord xxxx of yyyy. Any daughters would be Lady xxxx of yyyy. When Charles becomes King they would automatically become HRH Prince/ss xxxx of yyyy (+ Cornwall and then of Wales probably). Finally they will become HRH The Prince/ss xxxxx of the United Kingdom when William becomes King and sons would presumably get their own dukedoms in time.

Per the 1917 Letters Patent, William's younger children would be "Lord/Lady X Windsor" as the great-grandchildren of The Queen in the male-line.

Once his father becomes King, they would take their style and rank of "HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and X" (if William is indeed granted a dukedom by his grandmother, otherwise just "of Cornwall").

Per the 1917 Letters Patent, William's younger children would be "Lord/Lady X Windsor" as the great-grandchildren of The Queen in the male-line.

Once his father becomes King, they would take their style and rank of "HRH Prince/Princess X of Cornwall and X" (if William is indeed granted a dukedom by his grandmother, otherwise just "of Cornwall").

I should have been clearer and indicated that Cornwall would come before the xxxx rather than implying otherwise.

Thanks for the heads up.

There was no Welsh Assembly in 1958 when the Queen created Charles Prince of Wales so she wouldn't have had anyone to consult. She would have consulted the British PM about the timing as well as discussed it within her family. Many ideas we take for granted today simply didn't exist 50 years ago.

The independence movement is very small but vocal - they made a lot of noise at Charles' investiture in 1969 - but their support isn't widespread but is growing a little bit.

By the time Charles becomes King the situation may have changed and it could be stronger. I

Thanks for the information. I would think that the Welsh Public will also consider how William feels about Wales. For example: does he speak the welsh language or does he support Welsh causes? Simply living there is not enough in my opinion for them to award him the title.

Thanks for the information. I would think that the Welsh Public will also consider how William feels about Wales. For example: does he speak the welsh language or does he support Welsh causes? Simply living there is not enough in my opinion for them to award him the title.

I don't think how William feels about it will be consisdered at all particularly as there is no guarantee about how long he might hold the title - it could be a day or 20 years and then he has to look way beyond Wales to the rest of the UK.

I don't think how William feels about it will be consisdered at all particularly as there is no guarantee about how long he might hold the title - it could be a day or 20 years and then he has to look way beyond Wales to the rest of the UK.

That could be the case but I think that if your going to award someone a title then they should at least represent Welsh causes and speak the language. After all it is required in school in Wales to speak Welsh. The least their prince could do is speak it.

By the way I don't just feel this way about William. As both he and Harry carry the title, even if their father is the senior one, they should put in the effort in learning it.

That could be the case but I think that if your going to award someone a title then they should at least represent Welsh causes and speak the language. After all it is required in school in Wales to speak Welsh. The least their prince could do is speak it.

By the way I don't just feel this way about William. As both he and Harry carry the title, even if their father is the senior one, they should put in the effort in learning it.

The title isn't 'awarded'. It is created. To me 'awarded' implies being earnt and the Prince of Wales title is simply created for someone based on their birth.

I don't know of any Prince of Wales in History that has learnt the language although Charles can say a few words in Welsh. I suppose because if they learnt Welsh they should learn Scottish Gaelic as well as they will be Duke of Rothesay - or heir apparent to the throne of Scotland.

The title isn't 'awarded'. It is created. To me 'awarded' implies being earnt and the Prince of Wales title is simply created for someone based on their birth.

I don't know of any Prince of Wales in History that has learnt the language although Charles can say a few words in Welsh. I suppose because if they learnt Welsh they should learn Scottish Gaelic as well as they will be Duke of Rothesay - or heir apparent to the throne of Scotland.

My apologies, I agree that the title is created, definately not awarded.

As for the Scottish Gaelic, I think that would be great.

The title would be created for the male heir to the throne unless the Prime Minister advised The Sovereign not to do so. This is highly unlikely as it would imply a weakening of the union between Scotland, England and Wales as Great Britain.

More likely, the Prime Minister's advice would be limited to the timing (i.e. a general election or Welsh Assembly election) so to ensure the creation is not viewed as the Crown influencing political considerations.

Thanks so much for answering my questions branchg and Iluvbertie!! I just love how much I am learning from everyone here at TRF!!!!

It doesn't seem like there would be any particular reason to depart from the usual title, though -- why change it to Princess Catherine? Isn't it also incorrect to refer to Diana as Princess Diana (as the media did all the time?) Wasn't her title (before divorce), HRH Diana, Princess of Wales? Or is "The" supposed to be in there?

No her name is not mentioned and the..The is included so her title would be....HRH The Princess of Wales

I wish His Royal Highness and Ms Middleton could be granted a Commonwealth title...such as Duke/Duchess of Sydney/Melbourne/Perth etc.

If Catherine is with child and gives birth to a girl, then they have another girl and no more children, will that first female child succeed to the Throne as Queen Regnant?

I wish we could have another Victoria or even another Elizabeth named after there great grandmother...we could have an Elizabeth III.

Say there is two girls...would the eldest be granted the title/style of HRH Princess of Wales in her own right...or even say her name was Victoria...HRH The Princess Victoria of say Windsor as the family name is Windsor...

If Catherine is with child and gives birth to a girl, then they have another girl and no more children, will that first female child succeed to the Throne as Queen Regnant?

Yes the first female born would succeed to the throne

I think that there would be a huge outcry in this case, because the Commonwealth countries, at least the ones that I know of, don't recognize aristocratic titles. Immigrants left that behind in the "old country."

1.I wish His Royal Highness and Ms Middleton could be granted a Commonwealth title...such as Duke/Duchess of Sydney/Melbourne/Perth etc.

Yes.

Say there is two girls...would the eldest be granted the title/style of HRH Princess of Wales in her own right...or even say her name was Victoria...HRH The Princess Victoria of say Windsor as the family name is Windsor...

No woman has ever been made Princess of Wales in her own right. It was considered in 1947 for the present Queen, but rejected. (I think it's more likely that it would happen now, although obviously I don't have a crystal ball.) She wouldn't be "of Windsor." She would simply be The Princess Victoria during William's reign.

If Princess Anne had already died she could eventually be created Princess Royal.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
That would not be possible, since it is a title granted by the British monarch to his/her eldest daughter. The next Princess Royal could be William and Catherine's eldest daughter, but there can only be one Princess Royal at a time. :flowers:

:previous: That is what Princess Agnes is suggesting.

The question is what title a Princess Victoria (daughter of William and Catherine) would hold while William is King....either Princess Royal or Princess of Wales in her own right.

Okay, this should really upset the applecart, but just a thought...

William and Catherine have, in the following order, daughter, daughter, son. By then, they have passed absolute primogeniture, so possibly (real outside chance, I know), we could have The Princess of Wales (in her own right), The Princess Royal (oldest daughter who is not the heiress), and The Duke of Somewhere...

This is just a thought, so please no coronaries or aneurysms over this...just a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom