The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised. William to me doesn't really want to take on royal duties and he knows that Harry won't be a full time royal until his mid-late 40s as Harry has a military career.

If the Queen is in good health then William could stay in the army for anothe 10 - 15 years and then emerge as a father of teenagers when his father ascends the throne, and he has to take up the mantle of heir.

If the Queen's health starts to go downhill though he might have to leave the army at the end of his current term.
To be honest, I'd not be surprised either one bit. Also, I'd not be surprised one bit if Granny advised him to do such if he's really happy with the work he's doing right now. Take the time and do what you enjoy doing, raise a family and your time for duties full time will come later on.
Even should the Queen's health or the DoE's for that matter, I think her sons and daughter would have things pretty much covered for William to continue in SAR. What is nice is that with Wills and Kate being married, the royal appearances and duties he does do, he'll be able to have Kate by his side doing so. With on station duties, the way they are scheduled in advance, and how far ahead the court circular is planned, I think it would be safe to assume that the PAs of William could work with SAR as far as royal duties not conflicting with his on station shifts.

I do think, however, that the Queen will confer a dukedom on William at the time of marriage. She may secretly advise the two of them to go for the title Mummy and Daddy first though.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I had to expect it. Everyone that ever held a paper and pen or a microphone or has thought him/herself as a reporter is jumping on the Will and Kate bandwagon. And of course, they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Here is another shining example of what folks are reading and believing is history. Funny... I never ever realized that the David and Wallis had children!

Prince William Engagement: What Royal Title Will Kate Middleton Get? - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News

Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I had to expect it. Everyone that ever held a paper and pen or a microphone or has thought him/herself as a reporter is jumping on the Will and Kate bandwagon. And of course, they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Here is another shining example of what folks are reading and believing is history. Funny... I never ever realized that the David and Wallis had children!

Prince William Engagement: What Royal Title Will Kate Middleton Get? - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News
That just looks like one extra stroke of the keyboard, to be honest. It was meant to read Edward VII, of course.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
That just looks like one extra stroke of the keyboard, to be honest. It was meant to read Edward VII, of course.
I knew that.. hehe.. the rest of the report was right on the money. But I do think that until the wedding happens, we're going to see a LOT of things that are just not quite right.

This reminds me so much of when I ate up everything about the upcoming marriage of Charles and Diana and woke up at 4 am to watch live coverage.. forgot to pack the kids lunches and gave them too much and my hubby then thinking I was totally ready to be committed.

Another title I think will be conferred on William on his wedding day is the bestest one yet. Husband. Think that's his main one he's concerned about right about now too.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Exactly. Which is why I think he would prefer not be granted a Dukedom at this time. He wants to keep as much of his current normalcy as he can until he becomes the heir to the throne. It also gives Catherine more time to adjust to the spotlight and royal life.

However, he may not want his wife to be stuck with "HRH Princess William of Wales" as her style. For that reason alone, he may accept an Earldom so Catherine will have a more acceptable title as Countess of X.
Being granted a ducal title is not going to interfere with his lifestyle any more than being Prince William of Wales.. it is, after all, just a title. It's not like he will become responsible for tenants and home farms and manors..

His life will continue just as it has before, with the exception of having a wife and maybe children.. I don't believe there will be any impediment to the career he has chosen, or the charities he supports, as long as the Queen continues as monarch.

And as for Catherine.. well, she's had 8 years to adjust to the life of a royal, at least as far as the media is concerned. Its been said that she intends to be a fully working member of the family after she marries William.

Its also been said that William has promised her parents that he will prosecute any members of the paparazzi that try to harass her the way they did his mother. He certainly has no love for those people, and he's sued them before..

They are both intelligent people.. so I think they will adjust just fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I'd not be surprised either one bit. Also, I'd not be surprised one bit if Granny advised him to do such if he's really happy with the work he's doing right now. Take the time and do what you enjoy doing, raise a family and your time for duties full time will come later on.
Even should the Queen's health or the DoE's for that matter, I think her sons and daughter would have things pretty much covered for William to continue in SAR. What is nice is that with Wills and Kate being married, the royal appearances and duties he does do, he'll be able to have Kate by his side doing so. With on station duties, the way they are scheduled in advance, and how far ahead the court circular is planned, I think it would be safe to assume that the PAs of William could work with SAR as far as royal duties not conflicting with his on station shifts.

I do think, however, that the Queen will confer a dukedom on William at the time of marriage. She may secretly advise the two of them to go for the title Mummy and Daddy first though.
I think both William and Kate understand that this announcement signals that people will be expecting to see them on their royal duties and not just hide out at the RAF. William already does alot(alright not as much as POW or The Queen, but still alot more than a few years ago!) and he already expressed earlier this year that he does wish to go further into his charity & public work once he finishes his RAF stint so I highly doubt he`ll stay in there for 10-15 years I can actually see him maybe beginning to raise the amount royal public engagements he does per year now that he`s getting married JMO

Quote:
No. He is "HRH Prince William" at birth by right of the Letters Patent of 1917 as a male-line grandson of The Sovereign. If The Queen creates him a Peer, for example, Duke of Cambridge, on his wedding day, then he will become HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and styled as "HRH The Duke of Cambridge".

Catherine takes her style, title and rank from her husband, becoming "HRH The Duchess of Cambridge", in this example after marriage, with the rank of a Princess (HRH Princess William).
Thank you for that clarification!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I think both William and Kate understand that this announcement signals that people will be expecting to see them on their royal duties and not just hide out at the RAF. William already does alot(alright not as much as POW or The Queen, but still alot more than a few years ago!) and he already expressed earlier this year that he does wish to go further into his charity & public work once he finishes his RAF stint so I highly doubt he`ll stay in there for 10-15 years I can actually see him maybe beginning to raise the amount royal public engagements he does per year now that he`s getting married JMO

I personally think he just might keep on with SAR for a little while. When they're in Wales, they have a certain degree of aloneness and privacy but they both know they're expected to do royal duties also. At least this way, being married, when there ARE royal duties to do, they can do it together. I not only expect to see them at Ascot and Trooping the Colors, but I can also see the two of them very much at home at Centrepoint. We do realize that the place where he did propose was not exactly a 5 star restaurant and hotel lodging right? They were at a very rustic cabin. No heat except for a fireplace, no electricity, a burner under a tank of water for a hot bath. I really don't see that it'll be how many duties and ribbon cuttings he does, but the ones that he does do.. will be of quality and mean something. Kate is just the type that would sleep out on the streets of London with Wills if it meant drawing attention to Centrepoint. She'll be just as much as an asset wherever Wills goes. Then in time, she'll take on her own charities and interests such as Starlight which I believe she already is fond of.

It does boil down to the fact that I think at first they will have till 2013 to think about where they go from there. They may go into being full time royals, he may re-up for another stint in SAR, or they could permanently move to that rustic cabin in Kenya... anything is possible.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Definitely agree what you said about William and Kate, they will definitely be a great team and I think she'll be a fine assest. I honestly think they may do a bit more then just Trooping and Ascot. I can see William pulling off one or two of those random engagements that has nothing to do with any of his charities or as I call it the "ribbon cutting" engagements. When William does do appearance now for the most part he focuses on his charities the appearances aren't random, but I do hope we will see them a little bit I can't see how 2 or 3 engagements will help Kate adjust she'll need a little more then that but they cannot do it like they did with Diana one after the other(back to back tours of the commonwealth) that will just end in disaster. I think for the most part IMO I think the first year or they'll be easy on them but if they don't begin to up the appearances after that I just cannot see it going well with the public don't ask me why but I feel that for royals once you are married I feel as the public demands way more of you then when you were single.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Another question, in Britain can I female carry the title- i.e. after Prince Andrew dies could the Queen (or King) make Bea Duchess of York?
It is possible; Queen Victoria did this for one of her granddaughters, Princess Louise of Wales (eldest daughter of Edward VII):

Queen Victoria's Letters Patent of 29 June 1889 contained the standard remainder "heirs male of his body." Letters Patent of 24 April 1900 granted a second Dukedom of Fife with a special remainder that allowed the title to pass to the daughters of the first Duke, in default of a son, and then to the male heirs of those daughters.

But I don't think that it will happen.

Annamarie
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Also, Earl Mountbatten of Burma's title was created with a special remainder that allowed his daughter Patricia to inherit the title since he had no sons.

However, no such remainder was created for the Duke of York title, and I don't believe it will happen for Beatrice.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Royal Highness

If William were given a title, when would he get it? A while before the wedding, shortly before, the day of, after?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If HM decides to give him a title for his wedding, he will recieve it the day he marries. If she decides to wait, and allow Charles to give his son a title, it'll be a while longer.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If HM decides to give him a title for his wedding, he will recieve it the day he marries. If she decides to wait, and allow Charles to give his son a title, it'll be a while longer.
William will likely receive his Peerage the morning of his wedding. If not granted a Peerage then, he will automatically assume all of the titles held by the eldest son and heir the moment Charles becomes King (Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince & Great Steward of Scotland).
Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Please note that several posts as it relates to the current Order of Precedence as well the introduction of Catherine Middleton into the mix have been moved to the Order of Precedence thread.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Majesty

During the current reign the Queen has tended to give titles on the morning of the wedding e.g. Andrew and Edward. She was later than that with Lord Snowdon and waited until Margaret was pregnant with Lord Linley.

In earlier reigns titles didn't always wait until the wedding but as the Queen hasn't already given William a title I would expect he will get a title on the morning of the 29th April.

I do expect him to get a title as I don't think the royal family would like to see HRH Princess William of Wales appearing in the Court Circular and other official documents and officially that would be her name but if William is created Duke of xxxx then Kate would be HRH The Duchess of xxxx (no name in the official designation of course).
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Yes, sadly that's true in the States, too.
Please, don't generalize. I am a member of the US press and I take great pride, as does every other journalist I know, in getting things correct, even if it means lengthy research. I can cringe when I read articles from other reporters where it's clear they haven't done their homework, but that's not all of us and not most of us, actually.
Covering royalty in the US is not a high priorty outside of entertainment purposes, but still, it's not difficult for reporters to check their facts for their stories. And should any reporters I know need facts for any royal stories, I'll point them in this direction.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
During the current reign the Queen has tended to give titles on the morning of the wedding e.g. Andrew and Edward. She was later than that with Lord Snowdon and waited until Margaret was pregnant with Lord Linley.

In earlier reigns titles didn't always wait until the wedding but as the Queen hasn't already given William a title I would expect he will get a title on the morning of the 29th April.

I do expect him to get a title as I don't think the royal family would like to see HRH Princess William of Wales appearing in the Court Circular and other official documents and officially that would be her name but if William is created Duke of xxxx then Kate would be HRH The Duchess of xxxx (no name in the official designation of course).
My understanding is that QEII offered the title of Earl of Snowdon at the time of Armstrong-Jones' marriage to princess Margaret, but they declined ; only to have a change of heart when she became pregnant as the children of the marriage would have no title.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
William will likely receive his Peerage the morning of his wedding. If not granted a Peerage then, he will automatically assume all of the titles held by the eldest son and heir the moment Charles becomes King (Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince & Great Steward of Scotland).

Didn't Lumutqueen say that already?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Didn't Lumutqueen say that already?
I was just pointing out if The Queen doesn't grant William a Peerage upon marriage, he would automatically assume the titles of the heir and eldest son when Charles becomes King.

So, Charles would not need to create William anything (other than Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester in due course) as he would already be The Duke of Cornwall.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
My understanding is that QEII offered the title of Earl of Snowdon at the time of Armstrong-Jones' marriage to princess Margaret, but they declined ; only to have a change of heart when she became pregnant as the children of the marriage would have no title.
That's a nice way of putting it, the version I'd heard was that a pregnant Princess Margaret stacked on a turn at the prospect of the Queen's nephew being born with no title and demanded the title for Tony which had not been forthcoming for the wedding.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding