The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
So hold on now I'm confused does William automatically get a title at marriage or is there a chance he will remain HRH Prince William of Wales?

No, he won't automatically get a title upon his marriage. Any titles one receives that are not birthright (i.e., inherited) are given at the Queen's discretion.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I would imagine this would be something she will discuss with William to get his thoughts and feelings on the subject. Somehow, I don't see that an Earldom will be considered by the Queen. He is after all second in line to the throne, and no one else in the Royal family can unsurp that position. Has any other Royal that is second in line to the throne ever taken an earldom title instead of a Dukedom?
Traditionally, male-line grandsons and sons were created Dukes, either at age 18, or when they married. But times have changed.

William is still completing his military service and the idea is to avoid the mistakes that were made with Diana in rushing her into royal and public life. William is also very conscious of not wanting to upstage his father and would like to start a family while the spotlight is less intense.

Given all this, it seems logical to me that William would desire a less grand title for now, given that he will have all the titles and pressure that will come as the heir to the throne in due course. Creating him an Earl gives Catherine a title of her own, while still allowing him a measure of being more down-to-earth than his father can be as Prince of Wales.

Just my thoughts.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Courtier

I think that if they are not going to give him a title of a duke when he marries they should just leave him HRH Prince William of Wales and let Kate be, HRH Princess William of Wales till they are ready to take on full time royal duties. If he is going to be in the military and she is going to be out of the spot light better to leave well enough alone. IMO
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Commoner

I wonder whether all of this discussion about succession and skipping Prince Charles will cause the queen to NOT confer a title and leave that for Prince Charles to do at a later date.

That would make a statement IMO.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Nobility

^That may be a statement the Queen is reluctant to make.

I fully expect the Queen to stick with tradition. Edward did not take a dukedom because he wanted to distance his future children from the hassles of royal life, but his chance of inheriting the crown was remote. William is in a very different situation.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

The Queen will never publicly rebuke her son.

She believes in the tradition of the monarchy and loves her son.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Commoner

Of course the Queen would never rebuke her son.

That is why I was wondering if she might not grant a title. Who knows, PW may not want one at this time.

....bated breath
Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Courtier

I don't see why they would give William a dukedom or earldom upon his marriage, when he, in a few years time will inherit his father's titles and he will become for the rest of Charles' life The Prince of Wales. Also, for what I understand, they will be living a very low profile life in the early years of their marriage, while he finishes up his duties to the military. So as I see it there is no real need for the title at this point.

I find kinda hilarious that he we're wracking our brains to figure out which title will Kate get and the press will go on calling her "Princess Kate".
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo View Post
I don't see why they would give William a dukedom or earldom upon his marriage, when he, in a few years time will inherit his father's titles and he will become for the rest of Charles' life The Prince of Wales. Also, for what I understand, they will be living a very low profile life in the early years of their marriage, while he finishes up his duties to the military. So as I see it there is no real need for the title at this point.

I find kinda hilarious that he we're wracking our brains to figure out which title will Kate get and the press will go on calling her "Princess Kate".

William won't be inheriting his father's titles for more than just a "few years". The Queen is 84 and in quite good health. There's no reason why she won't reign for another 10 or 16 years. Her mother lived to be over 100.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
William won't be inheriting his father's titles for more than just a "few years". The Queen is 84 and in quite good health. There's no reason why she won't reign for another 10 or 16 years. Her mother lived to be over 100.
True, but I wish she would slow down. Prince Phillip is looking pretty frail, and they both deserve to enjoy their remaining years without keeping up the pace they have for so many years.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well, it has been a tradition in the House of Windsor to grant peerages upon marriage or upon reaching majority, and there is no real reason to break that precedent now.

And there is also the consideration of the Queen's longevity. Since she could well live to be 100 years old, and that would put Prince William into his 40's before he would be created Prince of Wales..

Giving him a ducal title will ensure that his eldest son is HRH of something - for example, "HRH Prince ___ of Cambridge". It will also reinforce the rank of William's other children, who will all be Lord/Lady by courtesy.. at least until William becomes heir apparent.

And in the event that Prince Charles pre-deceases the Queen, William will already have a ducal title.. because if such a thing should happen, he will not inherit any of Charles' titles. He could only be created Prince of Wales at that point.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't he automatically receive Charles's other titles, such as Duke of Cornwall, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
And in the event that Prince Charles pre-deceases the Queen, William will already have a ducal title.. because if such a thing should happen, he will not inherit any of Charles' titles. He could only be created Prince of Wales at that point.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Wouldn't he automatically receive Charles's other titles, such as Duke of Cornwall, etc.?
No, Duke of Cornwall, etc is only for the eldest son of the sovereign.

If you look at the case of George III, same issue. His father, Frederick, was the oldest son of George II, and died before him. George III was created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, but could not be Duke of Cornwall, etc.

Annamarie
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsgoddess View Post
No, Duke of Cornwall, etc is only for the eldest son of the sovereign.

If you look at the case of George III, same issue. His father, Frederick, was the oldest son of George II, and died before him. George III was created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, but could not be Duke of Cornwall, etc.
What prsgoddess said.

If Charles had been given a normal ducal title, say Duke of Clarence for example.. then if he died before the Queen, William would become the next Duke of Clarence.

But all of Charles' titles are strictly reserved for the eldest son and heir apparent of the Sovereign. And he has to be both the eldest son and heir.

Neither the Dukedom of Cornwall, the Dukedom of Rothesay or any of their subsidiary titles may be inherited. If the eldest son and heir apparent dies, the titles revert to the crown until such time as there is another eldest son and heir apparent to a reigning sovereign.

If Prince Charles dies before becoming king, then there will not be another Duke of Cornwall or Rothesay until William succeeds to the throne and has a son and heir of his own - If, however, Charles does outlive his mother and becomes king, then William as eldest son and heir apparent, will become Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, et. al.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Also, for what I understand, they will be living a very low profile life in the early years of their marriage, while he finishes up his duties to the military. So as I see it there is no real need for the title at this point.
Just an odd question and it may relate to what title the Queen does bestow on William at his marriage. What are the possibilities that with things going as they are now, that William will re-up in SAR after the initial tour of duty is done with? Until his father is King, perhaps he will decide to stay on as a search and rescue pilot for another stint and do occasional royal duties much as he is now? Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
What prsgoddess said.

If Charles had been given a normal ducal title, say Duke of Clarence for example.. then if he died before the Queen, William would become the next Duke of Clarence.

But all of Charles' titles are strictly reserved for the eldest son and heir apparent of the Sovereign. And he has to be both the eldest son and heir.

Neither the Dukedom of Cornwall, the Dukedom of Rothesay or any of their subsidiary titles may be inherited. If the eldest son and heir apparent dies, the titles revert to the crown until such time as there is another eldest son and heir apparent to a reigning sovereign.

If Prince Charles dies before becoming king, then there will not be another Duke of Cornwall or Rothesay until William succeeds to the throne and has a son and heir of his own - If, however, Charles does outlive his mother and becomes king, then William as eldest son and heir apparent, will become Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, et. al.
I had no idea how that is how works. Great information! Thank you!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
No, however, he would become The Duke of Edinburgh if Charles predeceased him before becoming King. William would inherit his grandfather's peerages.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just an odd question and it may relate to what title the Queen does bestow on William at his marriage. What are the possibilities that with things going as they are now, that William will re-up in SAR after the initial tour of duty is done with? Until his father is King, perhaps he will decide to stay on as a search and rescue pilot for another stint and do occasional royal duties much as he is now? Just a thought.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. William to me doesn't really want to take on royal duties and he knows that Harry won't be a full time royal until his mid-late 40s as Harry has a military career.

If the Queen is in good health then William could stay in the army for anothe 10 - 15 years and then emerge as a father of teenagers when his father ascends the throne, and he has to take up the mantle of heir.

If the Queen's health starts to go downhill though he might have to leave the army at the end of his current term.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It will also reinforce the rank of William's other children, who will all be Lord/Lady by courtesy.. at least until William becomes heir apparent.
William's eldest son would automatically be HRH Prince of the UK under the 1917 Letters Patent if born during The Queen's reign. His other children would be Lord/Lady Windsor as great-grandchildren of The Sovereign.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised. William to me doesn't really want to take on royal duties and he knows that Harry won't be a full time royal until his mid-late 40s as Harry has a military career.

If the Queen is in good health then William could stay in the army for anothe 10 - 15 years and then emerge as a father of teenagers when his father ascends the throne, and he has to take up the mantle of heir.

If the Queen's health starts to go downhill though he might have to leave the army at the end of his current term.
Exactly. Which is why I think he would prefer not be granted a Dukedom at this time. He wants to keep as much of his current normalcy as he can until he becomes the heir to the throne. It also gives Catherine more time to adjust to the spotlight and royal life.

However, he may not want his wife to be stuck with "HRH Princess William of Wales" as her style. For that reason alone, he may accept an Earldom so Catherine will have a more acceptable title as Countess of X.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding