The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Prince Harry's visit to Estonia and Italy, from 16th-19th May 2014

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse Prince Harry is visiting #Estonia & #Italy from 16th-19th May - further details of the programme are announced here: Further details of Prince Harry's visit to Estonia and Italy

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse In #Estonia & #Italy, Prince Harry will meet veterans from #WWII & recent conflicts, including personnel participating in @InvictusLondon

Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 42s
Prince Harry arrives in Estonia tomorrow.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Majesty

Pictures:
HRH Prince Harry at Wreath Laying Ceremony in Estonia-
FOTOD ja VIDEOD: Vaata prints Harry saabumist ja pärjaasetamist Vabaduse väljakul! - Publik

"@ukinestonia: Prince Harry laid a wreath in Freedom Square to remember those who fought for peace & freedom pic.twitter.com/Pgdt6k5lsH"
#HRHEstonia RT @visitestonia: His Royal Highness Prince Harry greeting locals at Freedom Square in #Tallinn today pic.twitter.com/ret4zzaIhc
#HRHEstonia RT @visitestonia: Prince Harry laying a wreath to the monument of Freedom #Tallinn today pic.twitter.com/rWTf9bz9hh
#HRHEstonia RT @ChrisJack_Getty: Prince Harry takes a selfie with an Estonian woman during a walkabout #gettyimages pic.twitter.com/wsiJKuQqxk

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder why Harry always seems to bust out a uniform when he is on tour. Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember William putting on a uniform other than a Flight Suit for the waterbirding in PEI while on tour.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Majesty

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 32m
Tomorrow (Sat) Prince Harry will meet the President of Estonia while visiting the Estonian Forces at their military exercise Kevadtorm

He's a real prince of hearts! Beaming Harry proves a hit with the locals at start of his tour of Estonia... and he flew there on £143 easyJet flight-
Prince Harry proves a hit with the locals on Estonian tour | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

his speech
"I have been keen to come for some time - to visit the country which is home to the many excellent soldiers I served alongside in Afghanistan, not to mention Tallinn’s captivating old town and Narva’s Hermann Castle. I only wish I had the chance to stay longer.

I and many other British soldiers have been privileged to work alongside your troops in Afghanistan.

Your armed forces have built a formidable reputation through their professionalism and bravery in the most testing conditions. You get the job done with minimal fuss and I love that. As a nation, we are extremely grateful for your support and for the sacrifice Estonia has made alongside us in recent operations. It is something which we will never forget.

Our countries are firm friends but this friendship continues to grow even stronger, through our shared experiences and goals.

One important example of our bond is the care for our wounded service men and women; they have fought together and recover together, side by side.

This evening we are joined by some of your veterans who, I hope, will have the opportunity to take part in the Invictus Games which will be held at the Olympic Park in London this September.

I am also looking forward to meeting more of your servicemen and women in the field on exercise tomorrow.

Thank you again for the tremendous kindness and support you have shown the United Kingdom for many years. We are very fortunate to call you our friends.

I only hope I will have the chance to visit again soon. Perhaps unofficially next time."
Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder why Harry always seems to bust out a uniform when he is on tour. Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember William putting on a uniform other than a Flight Suit for the waterbirding in PEI while on tour.

Well, what should he wear else? This occasion is about the military and the servicemen/-women who fought alongside Britain, plus the Prince lay a wreath during a military ceremony at the monument of freedom in Tallin!

I was wondering about something else. I thought white galauniforms are only worn in southern countries while Estonia is pretty much up north...?!
I wouldn´t be surprised about a white uniform in Italy later.

Somebody knows why?
Old 05-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Majesty

Here looking just like his father-
Prince Harry was in his element today in the Estonian sunshine meeting troops at a 'Spring Storm' military exercise pic.twitter.com/ZSOZivduCe
Prince Harry today met British & Estonian troops - thanking them for their support in Afghanistan #HRHEstonia pic.twitter.com/OP71NysNfJ
Prince Harry in fatigues as he visits Estonian Forces during their military exercise #Kevadtorm #HRHEstonia pic.twitter.com/g6Jb55qDmE
Pictures and Video:
Prince Harry of Wales visited on Saturday afternoon before the big lessons from the Defence Spring Storm, where he met with both of the Defence Forces, the Chief of Defence Terras when President Toomas Hendrik Ilves-

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Serene Highness

He could of wore a suit. His brother and Kate honored the sacrifice of the military of NZ and Australia who also fought with the British on their tour including on Anzac Day. They also left wreaths at a British war cemetery in Singapore and Canada's war memorial in Ottawa. He wore suits.

Charles has wore uniforms on tours when he has a tie to people he is meeting such as RNZAF where he holds a honorary position. However, both William and Harry have no outside the UK military position. It just caught my eye that Harry has wore a uniform on every foreign tour but his brother who can wear 2 more branches of service than his brother has not wore a uniform on tour other than to fly a Sea King.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Henry's official visit to Estonia - Day 1 | Blogs•Spletnik.ru
Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Skippyboo;1665764]He could of wore a suit. His brother and Kate honored the sacrifice of the military of NZ and Australia who also fought with the British on their tour including on Anzac Day. They also left wreaths at a British war cemetery in Singapore and Canada's war memorial in Ottawa. He wore suits.

I guess it´s because there were no other engagements than this military event for Harry. When William and Cath. were in NZ/ Australia and lay wreaths, they had other businesses to do that very day which had nothing to do with military ceremonial and where a uniform perhaps might have been unappropriate.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Being cynical it could be because Harry and his staff know it looks good on him and reminds people he is serving for his country. Anyway substance over style...
Old 05-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry looks very dapper in the white military uniform I must say.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Being cynical it could be because Harry and his staff know it looks good on him and reminds people he is serving for his country. Anyway substance over style...

I´m sure the reason is protocol. If it was appropriate for him to wear just a suit he had worn it.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Also Harry IS still in the military and William is not ..........
Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Henry's visit to Estonia - Day 2 | Blogs•Spletnik.ru
Old 05-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Also Harry IS still in the military and William is not ..........
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner.

OF COURSE, Prince Harry would wear a military uniform when meeting with the military of other countries because Harry is still a soldier. It would be inappropriate for him to wear a suit and tie when surrounded by soldiers who served with him on the battlefield.

And he does look good, doesn't he?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

William was still in the RAF for the Canadian and SE Asian tour.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William was still in the RAF for the Canadian and SE Asian tour.
But he didnt attend any events in his military capacity (honorary or actual).

Harry is attending military events with the exception of the event in Rome.

I think that there are nunances about what they wear and when. All I know is if they are serving/have honorary rank for the service in question, and it is a military event then they wear uniform.

Need an expert!