The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Aristocracy

OK checked with my personal expert (20 odd years in the army) and I'm right in what I said in post #20.

Also tropical dress is about the climate, not where you are and if hot weather is anticipated as in Estonia, then tropical dress would be worn.

Finally, you will have noticed that Harry is not wearing the pale blue beret but a cap. This is because he has left his secondment to the Airborne, but he is still can wear his wings. The insignia on his sleeve is an eagle and represents the eagle that his regiment took from the French at the Battle of Waterloo.

Phew!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry is wearing the summer dress uniform of the Household Cavalry.

White for summer.
Cavalry because of his webbing. With the cartridge pouch on the back.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...44194209_o.jpg
There are four Estonian officers in this picture and an adjutant, blue beret, which I presume is from the RAF Regiment.
It's normal for navy officers to change to a white uniform during summers/hot weather but not in the other two branches. Why Harry is wearing a summer uniform and the adjutant don't I have no idea. British dress uniforms is science on it's own!
I assume there are distinct unform rules for guards regiments and presumably in particular for BRF members.

Anyway, won't go in to depth about this, It's late and bedtime here.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Gentry

In the comments (in the DM) under the article about Harry's visit someone asked about the bracelets Harry always wore and someone else said they thought he had been wearing them since Eton. They got me curious - anyone know what the bracelets are that he always wears? Here's two pictures of them.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

He got them on a trip to Africa.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Being cynical it could be because Harry and his staff know it looks good on him and reminds people he is serving for his country. Anyway substance over style...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m sure the reason is protocol. If it was appropriate for him to wear just a suit he had worn it.
I think it is important to remember that Harry is visiting as an emissary of HM the Queen and her Government. He does not trot about at his own whim and he certainly does not wear his uniform for either substance or style. He wears it because that's the dress of the day as dictated by the reason for the invitation and the UK government's reciprocation, sending a Prince who is also a serving officer.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 10h
Prince Harry has arrived in Rome to begin engagements tomorrow

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I did a little digging in regards to Harry's uniform.

Again based on this picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...44194209_o.jpg

Harry is wearing the no. 3 dress uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry.

The guards regiments have a no. 1 dress uniform, which is the standard dress uniform. (Full dress with sabre and medals). And to supplement that they also have a no. 3 dress uniform, which is the summer/warm weather variant - and that's what Harry is wearing here.
All other British regiments (i.e. non guards regiments) only have a no. 2 dress uniform. And that's what you see the Royal Air Force adjutant, (as well as the Estonian officers) wearing.
If officers in non-guards regiments wish to wear a no 1 dress uniform, they have to pay for it themselves and in any way that will only be required rarely. But officers in the guards regiments, with the additional official functions they have, must have a no. 1 dress uniform. (With a no. 3 dress version as well).

If Harry is going to Estonia to honor those who have fought and fallen alongside British troops as the primary function, then it's most natural for him to wear the clothes most appropriate for that particular event. I.e. a uniform.
If Harry was there for a primarily civillian function, like an official visit or a diplomatic mission, then it would be more natural for him to wear civillian clothes. - But there is actually nothing to hinder him from wearing a uniform all the time, because he is entitled to. Even to the cinema, if he wished to. (That would be his no 2 dress uniform BTW).
Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Thank you, Muhler and Royal Daisy, for these interesting background informations!
Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Prince Harry stood shoulder to shoulder with Polish veterans as he commemorated their bravery and sacrifice capturing Monte Cassino in one of the Second World War's bloodiest battles.
It was 70 years ago on today that troops from the Polish II Corps finally took the ruined Benedictine monastery near Rome - a symbol of Nazi resistance to the Allies' campaign to push Hitler's forces out of Italy.
The victory had followed months of hard fighting that left an estimated 250,000 dead.
Prince Harry commemorates sacrifice of Polish soldiers who captured Monte Cassino - Telegraph
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I did a little digging in regards to Harry's uniform.

Again based on this picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...44194209_o.jpg

Harry is wearing the no. 3 dress uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry.

The guards regiments have a no. 1 dress uniform, which is the standard dress uniform. (Full dress with sabre and medals). And to supplement that they also have a no. 3 dress uniform, which is the summer/warm weather variant - and that's what Harry is wearing here.
All other British regiments (i.e. non guards regiments) only have a no. 2 dress uniform. And that's what you see the Royal Air Force adjutant, (as well as the Estonian officers) wearing.
If officers in non-guards regiments wish to wear a no 1 dress uniform, they have to pay for it themselves and in any way that will only be required rarely. But officers in the guards regiments, with the additional official functions they have, must have a no. 1 dress uniform. (With a no. 3 dress version as well).

If Harry is going to Estonia to honor those who have fought and fallen alongside British troops as the primary function, then it's most natural for him to wear the clothes most appropriate for that particular event. I.e. a uniform.
If Harry was there for a primarily civillian function, like an official visit or a diplomatic mission, then it would be more natural for him to wear civillian clothes. - But there is actually nothing to hinder him from wearing a uniform all the time, because he is entitled to. Even to the cinema, if he wished to. (That would be his no 2 dress uniform BTW).
Thanks, Muhler. He certainly can be seen in the #3. And as they say, "make sure they can see you."
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Royal Highness

Today he is in Italy

First pictures
Prince Harry Visits Italy - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder why Harry always seems to bust out a uniform when he is on tour. Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember William putting on a uniform other than a Flight Suit for the waterbirding in PEI while on tour.
If you read about the reason for this visit and the program you may be able to figure it out.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
He could of wore a suit. His brother and Kate honored the sacrifice of the military of NZ and Australia who also fought with the British on their tour including on Anzac Day. They also left wreaths at a British war cemetery in Singapore and Canada's war memorial in Ottawa. He wore suits.

Charles has wore uniforms on tours when he has a tie to people he is meeting such as RNZAF where he holds a honorary position. However, both William and Harry have no outside the UK military position. It just caught my eye that Harry has wore a uniform on every foreign tour but his brother who can wear 2 more branches of service than his brother has not wore a uniform on tour other than to fly a Sea King.
Prince William was not on an exclusive military tour. Prince Harry is.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Courtier

All I can say about today´s photos: dapper and dashing!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Royal Highness

Harry visited the Colosseum today
Prince Harry Pictures - Prince Harry Visits The Colosseum - Zimbio
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

Good job for Harry in both countries.
He represented the Queen very well.
Dignified but close to those he visited .
this picture of him with veterans is lovely
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...39_964x681.jpg
Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
Personal tour guides are so cool. In the US at Gettysburg National Park (site of the 3 day Civil War battle that turned the war, killed too many brave souls in ill thought or ill executed strategy, but let soldiers display mad bravery), you can hire a tested interpreter to ride in your car or walk a battlefield and tell you whatever details you want to learn. So you can say and learn about:
  • horses on the field
  • unit leadership
  • high command (positioning or leadership or strategy or whatever)
  • munitions
  • supply
  • etc. - you get the drift - these people are fountains of understanding about the battle.
Harry looks just like I do when I hire an interpreter at Gettysburg. Full of questions and unrequited understanding. Harry has a brain on him - it's just not the same focus most of us share.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 05-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't agree more. I wonder why, against all evidence to the contrary, normaly intelligent people buy in to malicious tripe pedaled by the likes of the Daily Mail presenting Harry as vacuous and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Worse, that he is innately shallow and with few redeeming qualities except of course, he looks good in uniform.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I couldn't agree more. I wonder why, against all evidence to the contrary, normaly intelligent people buy in to malicious tripe pedaled by the likes of the Daily Mail presenting Harry as vacuous and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Worse, that he is innately shallow and with few redeeming qualities except of course, he looks good in uniform.
Cos they play "Good Cop, Bad Cop". They said all that when William was the well-behaved star and Harry was being (its true) laddish and sometimes tackless.

Now of course he has 2 tours of duty under his belt, well-regarded militarily, he's maturing etc. William is still "in transition" so maybe Harry is now the "Good Cop". UK press just love him.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is a pic from an article about how popular Harry is among the girls in Italy: http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=OkuJ1g1m

Notice the girl in the centre. I believe the word swoon has been invented to cover that facial expression...