Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think the Taliban haven't thought of that and that they will sit back and wait for another 'exclusive'? Obviously they will attack every unit with added zeal, in the hopes that one of them will be where Harry is! :censored::furious: Harry is serving as an ordinary officer in a war zone, no layers and layers of protection.

I would "hope" extra measures have been put in place because of the direct threats that have alledgely have been made about him in the past.

Yes, Harry is amazing but I do believe a lot of credit goes to the bravery of Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Charles...because they had some "say" in all of this, I am sure!

Actually, this news could be just the thing to inspire recruits in the war against terrorism. If only the sons and daughters of a lot of powerful people could be as tenacious and courageous as Prince Harry!!

Last edited:
Well, perhaps the Queen had some say, but I doubt Charles did, as Harry is above the age of majority.

Freedom of the press should not provide immunity against a blatent disregard for human life. Every soldier in Afghanistan is at risk every day, but with such a tempting target as the grandson of the Queen, enemy forces are, of course, going to pursue his whereabouts with determination. There will be a snowball effect now. Resources will have to be used to protect Harry's whereabouts, interfering with his ability to do his job and compromising the safety of all the troops.

Harry was doing his job. This ridiculous breach of confidentiality endangers too many lives to be written off as "in the public's best interest to know" mentality.:bang:

could probably be prosecuted for depraved indifference, accessory to XXX (should something untoward happen to Harry),ng.
I do wish the UK had something similar.

Well, perhaps the Queen had some say, but I doubt Charles did, as Harry is above the age of majority.

According to Harry in the Times, the Queen told him he was going.

Will Harry serve for 2 more weeks or are they going to send him back home?

I truly hope they will send him home very soon. They can't take the chance to kill any soldier because of this news. I'm sure some talibans are already planning an attack somewhere ...

Will Harry serve for 2 more weeks or are they going to send him back home?
Hopefully the next thing anyone hears about Harry will be when he returns to the UK in one piece, whenever that is!

This is unconscionable. As Skydragon has already pointed out, this puts every soldier in Afghanistan in danger. Media in the US have been reporting that the Taliban has been actively using the social media networks to find soldiers serving in Afghanistan who post on facebook, myspace, etc., and US soldiers are being told not to do so. Information that Prince Harry is there, somewhere, is probably not news to them, but it will probably encourage the Taliban to be more aggressive in their pursuits of all soldiers in Afghanistan.

It's madness to let him stay there. UK has been, with the US, the main country engaged in this war. The Talibans have one wish : destroy every single occidental soul around. Harry is the perfect target to spread fear.

I hop that all of the men will be safe. I really can not beleive that someone leaked this info. It will put alot of lives in danger. I hope that Harry if safe and will be coming home soon.

Cornet Wales, the bullet magnet...propaganda coup...The partying prince! ~CNN

"For once, this is the closest to normal I may ever get!" ~Prince Harry

When he comes home he will given a well deserved Hero's Welcome!!

So was the story leaked or what... I haven't read the story about it yet. I am wishing Harry and the other troops a safe deployment. :)

WOW...is all I have to say! Good for him...I think this was something he really wanted. I do wonder how they pulled it off because this is a huge coup for them to have kept this under wraps. I am now fearing for his safety and the others around him though...this exposed can't be the best thing, I mean this just exploded today!

That clears up the mystery of where he has been though! LOL

The official confirmation from the Prince of Wales website:

Prince Harry serves in Afghanistan
28th February 2008

The Ministry of Defence today confirmed after reports appeared on a US website that Prince Harry has been serving with the British Army in Afghanistan for more than two months.
Clarence House issued the following statement:
"Prince Harry is very proud to serve his country on operations alongside his fellow soldiers and to do the job he has been trained for."

The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry serves in Afghanistan

I can't believe Matt Drudge was the one to break this story! That's a shocker...why leak it to him now...supposedly many editors knew about this but kept mum. Why now...that's the question...

The media has put Harry and his fellow soldier's life in danger for reporting this.

But it's increased their profits. And if he gets killed or kidnapped as a result, it'll increase their profits some more. From their point of view, it's a win-win situation.

I'm disappointed that they leaked the story while he's still there, because I'm afraid that it might put him or others in danger. But I'm glad he's there, I think he's always wanted to go, and it's just a good thing to do.

But it's increased their profits. And if he gets killed or kidnapped as a result, it'll increase their profits some more. From their point of view, it's a win-win situation.
If anything happens to Harry or any of the troops because of the leak, lets hope the public do a 'Diana' and demonstrate in the streets wherever this Drudge person lives.
----------- ------------------
Britain is reviewing Prince Harry's presence in Afghanistan, where he has been deployed with the army for 2-1/2 months, following leaks in the international media that he was deployed there, the Defence Ministry said.

Britain reviews Prince Harry's Afghanistan role - Yahoo! News

I know...this is pretty unfortunate. :ermm:

I can't believe Matt Drudge was the one to break this story! That's a shocker...why leak it to him now...supposedly many editors knew about this but kept mum. Why now...that's the question...
The ultimate 'scoop'! :censored:

A responsible journalist would never have done this. To put it bluntly, you don't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. As for the interviews with Harry? I'm guessing they were a trade-off with the media for anonymity. :furious:

On a lighter note, I knew he had to be in Afghanistan. I mean no sightings, not one? There are journos who stake out the international airports, so it was a given that he hadn't left the country that way. It just screamed "military transport". It is also comforting to know that this is the last 'scoop' for the yellow press. They do not inhabit the front line! :D

I feel such pride in my Royal Family. Harry for earning the right to go, and QEII for allowing it. That must have been hard for her, but she would do no less for her grandson than she already had for her son. :mad:

As an aside, how hard was this for Chelsey? Was their split an incredibly sucessful "red herring"? :cheers:

Do you think it was such a secret on the spot, though? I mean, presumably other soldiers and any local people associated with the army will already know, and presumably if the Taliban spies are any good, they also already know. The main difference is that we know too now. I hope they don't decide to bring him back to the UK now - the press already has too much influence over what happens with the royal family, and that would just confirm the idea that the press calls the shots where the royals are concerned.

In fact it was not Matt Drudge who broke the story, but a German publication.

Having a brother who has served in Iraq, and who is on his way to Afghanistan as we speak, these are some seriously evocative photos. Evocative in that, I am incredibly proud of my brother, and I am incredibly proud of Harry. These photos show that he is just another soldier doing his duty.

I can't explain it, but these photos, and especially the second one, just tug at my heart. It a heart wrenching photo simply because you know that he must be exhausted, terrified and proud and it all shows in that one picture. Its heartwrencching becuase it all shows, and yet he has a gun in clear view. It proves that no matter how he feels, he's there to do what he must and protect himself, his troops, and the idea of democracy.

Forget the media. They are useless. Instead, let's put out energy into doing whatever it is you do to wish these men and women the best. Be it that you pray, fast, cry or anything else, the best thing that we can do is support these men and women. The war that they are fighting might not be a popular one, but they are fighting a war none the less, and Harry is right there in the thick of it, trying to ensure democracy in a place that might very well not be ready for it, and the thanks that they all get is to be ridiculed and abandoned by the worlds media? Forget them, and focus on the people who can use our support.

Well... it sounds so undemoctratic ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Freedom of speech? The right to express your feelings without the need to fear for repercussions? Quite the democratic thing, IMHO.

As for the media having the right to publish everything they want in a democracy, that is not the case. All democratic countries have laws about the rights of the media and while these are protected (here in Germany even as constitutional rights in our constitution) there are rules which have to be obeyed and rules which any serious journalist will obey because it's the right thing to do.

IMHO the world would have survived without knowing where prince Harry has spent these last weeks. While it is a newsworthy information, it is not a necessary information. So the publishers should have weighted the consequences for the prince and his fellow soldiers against the world's right of information and decided to keep quiet. As most did till the news actually broke. Skydragon is right: those who published that information sit comfortably and peaceful at home while others are facing the consequences. Shame on them!

But IMHO the RF should have discouraged Harry from becoming a soldier in this day and age - he can't be like anyone else and the consequences are dire for all concerned.

On another note MARG, we have a more appropriate saying here in the States, even more blunty:

"You don't sh*t where you eat"

And these journalists just did. Sorry for the callous language, but the situation deserves it.

In fact it was not Matt Drudge who broke the story, but a German publication.

I just saw this at Perez Hilton:

Apparently, Australian magazine New Idea and the German daily Bild have broken world embargoes on the development.

Freedom of speech? The right to express your feelings without the need to fear for repercussions? Quite the democratic thing, IMHO.

As for the media having the right to publish everything they want in a democracy, that is not the case. All democratic countries have laws about the rights of the media and while these are protected (here in Germany even as constitutional rights in our constitution) there are rules which have to be obeyed and rules which any serious journalist will obey because it's the right thing to do.

IMHO the world would have survived without knowing where prince Harry has spent these last weeks. While it is a newsworthy information, it is not a necessary information. So the publishers should have weighted the consequences for the prince and his fellow soldiers against the world's right of information and decided to keep quiet. As most did till the news actually broke. Skydragon is right: those who published that information sit comfortably and peaceful at home while others are facing the consequences. Shame on them!

But IMHO the RF should have discouraged Harry from becoming a soldier in this day and age - he can't be like anyone else and the consequences are dire for all concerned.

I don't think that they should have discouraged him. If that is something tha the really wanted to do, then I think that he should have the right to do it, just like any other free citizen. And he is fighting for the freedom of others, which I think is oddly poetic. Despite being a Prince, he still has all of the rights as any normal free citizen.

Furthermore, it's a tradition in his family, and perhaps he holds those traditions in high regard? He seems suited to a military life. He seems happy, and he has a right to be happy and to have a career of his choice.

Well then, this is a good example of how money truly is the root of all evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom