Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Prince Harry for a job well done. I wonder what you're going to do next? I was very pleased to hear all your news and see your picture in the Courier Mail (Brisbane). Your brother and father are very proud of you as I am. The Queen has great plans for you I hope you do her well.

I saw Harry on TV this morning. I am so proud of him and so relieved that he is okay. I remember Diana on the steps of the hospital holding him in her arms one day after giving birth like it was yesterday...life is so crazy!

And he is so handsome now, better looking than William which I couldn't have imagined when they were both little boys!

They were talking about Harry this morning on tv during The View and showed Diana carrying him down the steps of the hospital..I got chills its so surreal. It was funny they were like as if the Talibans intelligent sources are better than ours. So they were on Harry's side which I like to hear. I cannot beleive people are still critcizing Harry everything from this being a PR move to how dare they promote him as a hero. Harry himself said he wouldn't call himself a hero...so I don't understand what everyone's problem is. He's as much as I hate to say this "not normal" this isn't the type of thing you see everyday coming from a royal that's why people are making a fuss about it they're not trying to say he's any better then any of the other soldiers out there. I for one am incredibly proud of Harry taking on such a scary thing and he has proved to me and I'm sure alot of other people that he is smart he is a good kid he's not exactly what the media portrays him as. Sorry I had to express my feelings about this.

I only want to say my own words of praise and pride for Prince Harry, and congratulation for his advance of rank and the achievement of a new medal by his squadron.

Mine too but mind you I am already composing a letter to New Idea (No Idea) they didn't know it was a secret ???.....come on !!!....well doesn't the deathly silence from the British press speak volumes? Just another reminder why I never buy it, the irony being I bought an issue for a specific story I wanted to keep and lo and behold when I checked it, it was the issue that blabbed about Harry being in Afghanistan but of course never letting the truth get in the way of a good story I didn't take much notice

It's a toss up whether New Idea or Woman's Day is the worst of the two magazines.

100% agreement here!
What I find equally distasteful, are the bereaved parents who sell their story, they dishonor the child's intelligence for deciding to join up. IMO. :flowers:

I don't know. Some people who have suffered such a loss simply want to tell their story and if there is a journalist willing to listen and to make money out of the story on publishing it, the media should pay, I think. More to blame IMHO is the fact that there is a market for such stories, not the fact that people who are out of their mind with grief are willing to tell.

I only want to say my own words of praise and pride for Prince Harry, and congratulation for his advance of rank and the achievement of a new medal by his squadron.

Hm... I saw yesterday a feature about our former chancellor Schmidt's life and he recalls his time as a soldier (he spent 8 years as soldier for Nazi-Germany). He was asked if he had killed and answered that thankfully he served in a position where he only had to shoot at planes, not directly at people. But of course, he said: in all those planes were people, so yes, he killed. And answering if he thought about these lifes he had taken he said: of course, at night. That was more than 50 years after he had been a soldier. I wonder when Harry starts to realise that he has now blood on his hands and how he will cope with it.

How dare anyone judge any one who is bereaved, when they have never walked in those shoes. To bury a son or a daughter is, probably, the worst thing in life. No one has a right to question those parent's motives.
That's the one thing I worry the most about my boy serving over in Afghanistan, what if an IED takes him out? I applaud Harry for WANTING to go over, for setting the example. It's a tough job to say, "Yeah, there's a war going on, and I'm going to help lead it." That's courage. You already know that there's danger and you look it in the eye and say "I'm gonna make a difference anyway." That's cool. I applaud the Prince! :flowers:

That's the one thing I worry the most about my boy serving over in Afghanistan, what if an IED takes him out? :flowers:
That is every parent/spouse/partners biggest dread. 6 months of waiting up for the occasional web link or phone call. :flowers:
--------------------------------
Prince Harry of the UK, who had been in headlines for the last few days after his presence in Afghanistan was revealed, said there is 'no safer place to be than in the presence of Gurkhas

Nepalnews.com, news from Nepal as it happens

That is every parent/spouse/partners biggest dread. 6 months of waiting up for the occasional web link or phone call. :flowers:
--------------------------------
Prince Harry of the UK, who had been in headlines for the last few days after his presence in Afghanistan was revealed, said there is 'no safer place to be than in the presence of Gurkhas

Nepalnews.com, news from Nepal as it happens
Actually, there's a lot more connection than the past. I've spoken with people who served in Viet nam and they said there was a lot of time in between letters and calls. But My Boy can e-mail me immediately or call. He just doesn't. :neutral: Cuz he's busy. :ermm: Gurkhas, what's that? My Boy is fixing Black Hawks, he's not out there doing whatever, what do the Gurkhas do? What's their job?

Actually, there's a lot more connection than the past. I've spoken with people who served in Viet nam and they said there was a lot of time in between letters and calls. But My Boy can e-mail me immediately or call. He just doesn't. :neutral: Cuz he's busy. :ermm: Gurkhas, what's that? My Boy is fixing Black Hawks, he's not out there doing whatever, what do the Gurkhas do? What's their job?
One of ours works on the Tornado's, Harriers or anything else that needs a fix, although they can be used to do anything, including carpentry!

Hopefully the US has a different system to the UK. Many a night we have been expecting a web link, only for it not to happen because there is an attack or the mobile (cell) call is cut off, because the signal is jammed. The worst one, for us, was the call telling us not to worry, he hadn't been badly injured! :eek:

The Gurkhas are one of the best fighting forces in the UK army, I am ashamed to say used and abused by the British for many years, but don't get me started...... :angel:
BBC NEWS | UK | Who are the Gurkhas?

I don't know. Some people who have suffered such a loss simply want to tell their story and if there is a journalist willing to listen and to make money out of the story on publishing it, the media should pay, I think. More to blame IMHO is the fact that there is a market for such stories, not the fact that people who are out of their mind with grief are willing to tell.

People can tell what they want unless they are not members of the army any longer. In Faye Turneys case there was a serious incident being expatiated in public in an embarrassing manner just to make a quick buck that acutally harmed the army's reputation.

Last night I switched off the TV when family members of a soldier who served with Harry were talking about what their son told them about "Harry and I in Afghanistan" as if they had been candidates of I'm A Celebrity in the dschungle camp :eek: It's disgusting that the BBC will provide such people a forum to dish their stupidities.

The Gurkhas are one of the best fighting forces in the UK army, I am ashamed to say used and abused by the British for many years, but don't get me started...... :angel:
BBC NEWS | UK | Who are the Gurkhas?
My father spoke of fighting beside them in the North African Desert during WWII. He said they were courageous, efficient and deadly! High praise indeed.

On a lighter note, he also admired their well honed sense of humour. Something to do with them not cutting his throat with a kukri when he and a few other ANZAC's were on an (illegal) foray in a stores depot in search of NZ canned peaches!

Last edited:
Last night I switched off the TV when family members of a soldier who served with Harry were talking about what their son told them about "Harry and I in Afghanistan" as if they had been candidates of I'm A Celebrity in the dschungle camp :eek: It's disgusting that the BBC will provide such people a forum to dish their stupidities.
Thirty pieces of silver anyone? :argh: :sick:

On a lighter note, he also admired their well honed sense of humour. Something to do with them not cutting his throat with a kukri when he and a few other ANZAC's were on an (illegal) foray in a stores depot in search of NZ canned peaches!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: The Brits are masters at 'borrowing' from the American and Canadian troops, so I am told!:D
----------------------------------------------------
A US news presenter has found himself at the centre of a row for joking live on-air that Prince Harry was only sent to Afghanistan because he is expendable

Prince Harry 'expendable', claims US news host - Telegraph

Last edited:
It is always great to see people return to their home country after a tour in a war zone, and more so when they return safely, uninjured, healthy and lively as ever, as appears to be the case with Prince Harry. Count the blessings. They are numerous. :angel:

P.S. My heart is feeling right now for all the TRF members who might be reading this, who have beloved ones in Afghanistan or Iraq. God bless you, and them, and may you and they be as blessed as our sweet fair prince.

Just in case this was not posted already (sorry if it was)
The Prince of Wales - HRH speaks of his 'relief and pride' as he welcomes Prince Harry home from Afghanistan
The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry returns from Afghanistan
The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry serves in Afghanistan

Prince Harry: the war's phony | Mick Hume - Times Online

Last edited:
Skydragon, Harry will recieve his promoation to Lt.next month is William already a Lt.?

I didn't know where to put this but pictures of Harry and Chelsy have surfaced from Saturday nights rumoured "Welcome Home" bash. Picture is up on Daily Mail's website.

Skydragon, please let me take issue with you on the subject of the Gurkhas. They are not used and abused. It is a very longstanding agreement between Britain and Nepal - and is very popular with the Nepalese. They are all volunteers. Since the British Army contracted so much in recent decades, we couldn't employ as many Gurkhas as before, so now they have a similar arrangement with the Indian Army too.

They are, however, a delightful, humerous, brave race, and all who serve with them love and admire them. I am not at all surprised that Prince Harry enjoyed his time serving with them.

As something of an aside, I'd like to support Alison20's post.

My Grandfather was whipped from his college, Christ Church (Oxford University), into the KRRC as a very young graduate (aet 20). Grandfather was a man of superb intellectual accomplishments, a gifted linguist, and, as his military career during WW2 was to prove by two consequent decorations, an effective officer.

Grandfather was also a gentle and compassionate man whose rationale for life was founded in the writings of the Wests' great philosophers and intellectuals. He was a much-admired officer, and even before he died, his family continually received evidence of this. When he did eventually die, in 1999, people travelled from around the world to attend his funeral in Australia.

Grandfather was also an acknowledged Humanist and an excellent scholar. He was an expert on Middle High German Literature and Medieval French Literature. I cannot express his delight to us, his grandchildren, in teaching us about his foremost poetic love, Goethe, and his unique comical, insights into the words and verse of the mystical Michel Nostradamus.

Grandfather always loved German and French literary culture, and consistently denied that any nationality or race was ever responsible for what 'unconscionable demogogues' chose to do to suasively confound their peoples and encourage them to war.

His regiment, the Kings Royal Rifle Corps was, some years ago,disbanded, re-formed and amalgamated with the Ghurkas. As formidable as they were as fighters, Grandfather, one of the human race's great success stories, thought the Ghurkas as being amongst the most accomplished, dedicated, and independent of all fighting forces. Whereas Grandfather believed Ghurkas to be exemplary, as soldiers, he also thought them strong, decent, and immensely admirable, charming, human beings. He thought them, quite simply, honourable, and a delight. I can only assure you, Grandfather would know!

Sometimes, on television or in film, you might see a very tall, elegant-looking (and handsome) British Army Officer moving around the court at the Nuremburg Trials. That's my Grandfather, who was appointed OIC of the foreign press at those trials. All protaginists, I believe, were very lucky to have his services, which he most certainly did not seek, but was prevailed upon to accept as a matter of duty.

Grandfather would have understood Harry, of that I'm sure. Harry's not remotely in the same intellectual league as Grandfather, but Harry's done what he's perceived to be is his duty, as did Grandfather, and to my mind, this is honourable and praiseworthy.

The Gurkhas do the much the same. I cannot credit that such an exemplary contingent of fighters would do anything, or could be discredited, for anything, other than their well-documented bravery on behalf of what they perceive to be just causes. In so many instances, Ghurkas put many of our own fighting forces to shame as so many Westerners are bereft of the spiritual concessions which the Ghurka philosphy affords and offers comfort to.

Polly,

Thank you for your wonderful portrayal of your grandfather. He truly was part of the "greatest generation" whose numbers are decreasing daily. Their contributions during and after WWII are immeasureable. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom