Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^Ya exactly that's what I assumed too. if they didn't know each other it wouldn't matter 'cause Harry seems pretty friendly and social so they'd probably end up looking like best friends by the time they arrived.

Last edited:
Yes. Both Prince Charles and Prince William met his plane at the base where he flew in.

Was what ever agreement that the media had with the Army and/or CH only with British media of with all international media?
Both father and brother were there to welcome him home.

Whereas I think very well of Harry and his service, I don't believe that he's any more a hero than the countless other soldiers serving their countries in war zones.

He's certainly no more a hero than my family were or are, and my people who went and go to war without personal bodyguards!

Let's simply acknowledge that Harry's quitted himself honourably, has reason to feel proud, and desist from all of this hyperbolic nonsense.

Every man or woman in the armed forces are all heroes, to me.

Warfare brings out the hyperbolic nonsense in people I'm afraid, Polly.

Btw, I just noticed that the New York Times article that zembia posted above confirmed my suspicions of why the royals agreed for Harry to meet and be interviewed with the press:

For agreeing to keep quiet, the editors wanted assurances that they would receive access to Prince Harry in Afghanistan; photos of the prince in military fatigues were sure to sell papers.
“We had to actually operate as a group if it was going to work,” said Mr. Satchwell, who also acknowledged that he did not expect the blackout to last more than a few days.

This is the media cynicism at its best. They force Harry to put on a song and dance act for them so they will keep quiet and they don't even hold up their end of the bargain.

Not only that, the person they're doing business with didn't even think the media would honor the blackout for a few days.

The New York Times is trying to put a good spin on it like look how responsible we are being for holding back this long.

And then this other paper has the gall to claim that Harry is doing this as a publicity stunt to make himself and the Royal Family look good?

I'm not impressed at all.

Whereas I think very well of Harry and his service, I don't believe that he's any more a hero than the countless other soldiers serving their countries in war zones.

He's certainly no more a hero than my family were or are, and my people who went and go to war without personal bodyguards!

Let's simply acknowledge that Harry's quitted himself honourably, has reason to feel proud, and desist from all of this hyperbolic nonsense.

Every man or woman in the armed forces are all heroes, to me.

I agree, and I don't think anybody believes he's more of a hero than any other man or woman in the military. I think people are just impressed that a Prince/someone privledged would sacrifice himself and get down and dirty like the rest of them.

Well, I'm proud he has earned the right to wear his military uniform at royal occasions...

You would think they would have made him shave his head..surely that red mop of his attracted attention and set him apart a bit...

He is a surprising young man...He sort of did his "own thing" at his mother's memorial service and now this! I bet there are plenty of more surprises from Cornet Wales in the future.

Last edited:
Well, I'm proud he has earned the right to wear his military uniform at royal occasions...

You would think they would have made him shave his head..surely that red mop of his attracted attention and set him apart a bit...

He is a surprising young man...He sort of did his "own thing" at his mother's memorial service and now this! I bet there are plenty of more surprises from Cornet Wales in the future.

Indeed. Unlike that brother of his...

I just want to give a "shoutout" to his brother William....carrying all those heavy bags for his brother upon arrival .....OMG, that made me so proud of him for doing such a kind gesture when they have servants "for everything"...because in days past, royal men, let alone an heir, never carried a bag for anybody...

And I bet Harry even puts his own toothpaste on his toothbrush!!!

William's act of royal kindness reminded me so much of Prince Andrew hustling without trepidation at the fire at Windsor Castle....

I would also like to add that a news report on Foxnews.com here in the USA had Mark Summers, evil paparazzo who harrassed, hounded and verbally abused his mother to tears many times, in a suit and tie, being called a "royal expert", acting like he was Dickie Arbiter, expounding on Prince Harry....I was aghast and quite angry.

Last edited:
Well, Isbel, I've read a fair few opinions which state that it was a publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry. Rehabilitate him! at age 23! I ask you! Such bloody cheek!

Given his position, his money, his upbringing and his temperament, he's behaved merely like a spoilt and privileged young man, denied any constructive purpose in his life - until now!

If there's any reflected glory on the Royal Family, well, that's a good thing, too. My father (formerly a British army officer) has told me that Prince Michael of Kent's military career was destroyed by his not being permitted to join his regiment in Northern Ireland, which many people sincerely regretted and deplored. And that was the end of Michael's truly practical service to his cousin, the Monarch, and his country. So far as I'm aware, none of the Prince's comrades at arms were concerned, one jot, about his presence bringing more danger to them. Soldiers are soldiers, I was told, and accept anything asked of them from their sense of duty and training, whether they're officers or other ranks.

The fact remains that Harry has had a discernible and public penchant for the army all of his llife, and rumour has it, too, that he was much more successful at Sandhurst than was William.

So far as one can judge these things, Harry is a natural, and given the ghastly nature of the war in Afghanistan, for everyone, I believe that it is an immense positive for the Allies and the non-combative citizens of that country, that young Harry has proven so willing.

If it were, indeed, a PR exercise to boost morale, well, why not? It's worked! Harry's short engagement in Afghanistan will mean more to the troops on the ground than any staged, theatrical appearance by any politician from anywhere (Australia included).

The one continuing concern which I have is that my great-grandfather, a military strategist, died by 'mischance' in The Third Afghan War, in 1919. He was seconded there to help to re-inforce and re-build India's troops (which included Pakistan, in those times) but he was physically and mentally exhausted after 2 years' service in the European theatre. One wonders how many more British, Canadian, Australian, US, NATO soldiers', inter alia, lives will ultimately be spent in this most recalcitrant of countries.

I got quite a chuckle when I saw the "leek" pinned to Prince Charles' lapel in honor of St. David's Day in Wales....because maybe Matt Drudge simply got the days mixed up on which day it was to give "leaks" of Cornet Wales...

I got quite a chuckle when I saw the "leek" pinned to Prince Charles' lapel in honor of St. David's Day in Wales....because maybe Matt Drudge simply got the days mixed up on which day it was to give "leaks" of Cornet Wales...

It does look more like a spring onion than a leek actually. But a whole leek would just be too much. It's a symbol not a market stall.

Thanks so much for posting his interview. I loved hearing about his experience in his own words. I so admire him. There's no doubt he's very passionate about serving his country so I hope he can continue doing so for years to come.

My respect for Harry has risen several notches.

Well done, LT.

My respect for Harry has risen several notches.

Well done, LT.

Mine too but mind you I am already composing a letter to New Idea (No Idea) they didn't know it was a secret ???.....come on !!!....well doesn't the deathly silence from the British press speak volumes? Just another reminder why I never buy it, the irony being I bought an issue for a specific story I wanted to keep and lo and behold when I checked it, it was the issue that blabbed about Harry being in Afghanistan but of course never letting the truth get in the way of a good story I didn't take much notice

Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK
They are all sat together on the troop transport planes, which I am told do not know the meaning of the word 'comfort', think 66th class! :ROFLMAO: When you are stuck with one another for any amount of time, you tend to be chatty and that applies to most service personnel, not just Harry. :flowers:

Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"
:eek: My goodness and this coming from a 'man' who has done nothing, except line his pockets at the expense of others misfortune! If it had been merely a publicity stunt, I am sure we would have had the whole waving him off to war show.

This was no publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry, this was a genuine wish to do the job he is paid for!!!

Max Clifford should be ashamed of himself!

I just read the interview Harry gave and some of the many reports in the media after his return to Britain.
I´m a bit surprised that everything only sounds great, good, positive....
I think Harry and all the others there made and make a very dangerous, important, good job and there is very reason to be proud of them.
But when i read what he said, i missed any comment about the cruel of war, and i think very war is a cruel thing.
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??

I just read the interview Harry gave and some of the many reports in the media after his return to Britain.
I think Harry and all the others there made and make a very dangerous, important, good job and there is very reason to be proud of them.
But when i read what he said, i missed any comment about the cruel of war, and i think very war is a cruel thing.
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??
The trouble is, IMO, that nobody REALLY wants to hear servicemen and women speak of the horrors they have seen or been involved in. A lot of the time they have to 'gloss' over the horrors they have seen, to get on with their lives when they get back. It is the same when someone has been ill, people may say 'how are you', but they don't really want to know of the hundreds of visits to the hospital or the symptoms being experienced. They are all experiences you can only talk about with people who have been through the same horrors.

well you can be sure he was given strict instructions about what he could say and what he couldn't say. at any rate i'm sure he doesn't want to cause the families of his commrades any more anguish than they already have.

I just want to give a "shoutout" to his brother William....carrying all those heavy bags for his brother upon arrival .....OMG, that made me so proud of him for doing such a kind gesture when they have servants "for everything"...because in days past, royal men, let alone an heir, never carried a bag for anybody...
You are totally right!:flowers:
Nice gallery of pics from Abaca Press
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

:eek: My goodness and this coming from a 'man' who has done nothing, except line his pockets at the expense of others misfortune! If it had been merely a publicity stunt, I am sure we would have had the whole waving him off to war show.

This was no publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry, this was a genuine wish to do the job he is paid for!!!

Max Clifford should be ashamed of himself!

Who stole all HIS marbles????

If an Aussie rag hadn't blabbed (I'm ashamed to say) he'd STILL be there some people don't "get" (or refuse to "get") just why he had to come home:rolleyes::bang::bang:

AFGHAN militants say they knew that Prince Harry was among soldiers recently deployed in their country and had been gunnning for him, a US magazine reported.

AdelaideNow... We knew Prince Harry was here - Taliban

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh right, of course they did! :rolleyes: That is why after he has arrived home, they felt the need to say they knew! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No doubt that was why they didn't put a price on his head till after the news broke. Perhaps they'd agreed to honour the news blackout along with all the media...:rolleyes:

Not that it looks too good for them, having known all along and all that, since they didn't manage to do anything about it in the ten weeks he was there. Makes them look a bit like prats however they spin it.

Exactly. Veterans rarely come back and talk about the horrors.

The trouble is, IMO, that nobody REALLY wants to hear servicemen and women speak of the horrors they have seen or been involved in. A lot of the time they have to 'gloss' over the horrors they have seen, to get on with their lives when they get back. It is the same when someone has been ill, people may say 'how are you', but they don't really want to know of the hundreds of visits to the hospital or the symptoms being experienced. They are all experiences you can only talk about with people who have been through the same horrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom