Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard this on my local news! I had a feeling this was why we hadn't seen pictures of him recently. He must be happy to put his training to use. I'm proud of him. Pray he stays safe.

Just heard about this...amazing! I wish him and his chums safety.

Prayers for his safety and those with whom he serves, too. Do you think they'll pull him out now that the cover is blown?

I checked his current events thread a couple of days ago and read about the lack of "Harry sightings" over the past couple of months. And I did wonder if he he was on a military mission.

I think it's fairly impressive that such a strict media blackout was enforced for two months, but he still has two more months to go on his mission and now his cover is blown. I hope he stays safe! Even though it sounds like he is working behind the scenes rather than in actual combat, the Taliban are definitely going to pick up on this information.

One thing I can't really understand is that all these news reports quote from an interview Harry apparently gave in Helmand province. If there was a media blackout, why was he speaking to the media? I didn't quite understand this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame on Matt Drudge for leaking this! The media interviews were conditional on being released after his return. Harry now has to worry about safety concerns far above and beyond a normal soldier.

Well done Harry. Finally some true backbone showing in the younger generation of royals. God speed your safe return and that of the other soldiers in your company.

Now that the news has been revealed, it's going to create a major safety problem for the Prince. I hope he'll be fine but I don't understand why he's not forced to come back since everyone knows he's out there.

They probably won't force him to come back because he is serving like the rest of the men. They can't and shouldn't treat him any different than any other soldier. I wish him luck and hope he is safe.

What I don't understand is why he did any interview it is hard enough to keep his where abouts a secret why talk about it and draw attention to yourself.

I do not know how long the soldiers usually stay in Afghanistan but assuming its 12 weeks, his time would have been up anyways, hence the media reports, pictures and interview. I just hope to see him back home safely soon.

Brace yourselves for the James Hewitt comparisons which are likely to follow.

I don't think it does anyone any good for this to be out while he is still there. I am all for letting it be known once it is done and gone, but this puts not only himself, but his troops in danger. It's disgraceful that the media needs to publish everything in an attempt to beat out their competitor. Unless BP let this out themselves, I think that it should have stayed quiet until he returned home.

As for those who are praising him now, I have a very strong suspicion that it was not his choice to stay at home while everyone else was sent to do their duty. I think that he always wanted to go.

it reported: Harry is in Afghanistan (sp?)

DRUDGE REPORT FLASH 2008®
What a disgrace this 'newspaper' is, to break the news. Shameful, they should be prosecuted!!!!!!!!:bang::bang::bang:

I do not know how long the soldiers usually stay in Afghanistan but assuming its 12 weeks, his time would have been up anyways, hence the media reports, pictures and interview. I just hope to see him back home safely soon.
They normally stay for 4-6 months and he was NOT due to return soon!
The interview was given, on a good faith basis, one the Australian, German & US 'journalists' broke.
I don't think it does anyone any good for this to be out while he is still there. I am all for letting it be known once it is done and gone, but this puts not only himself, but his troops in danger. It's disgraceful that the media needs to publish everything in an attempt to beat out their competitor. Unless BP let this out themselves, I think that it should have stayed quiet until he returned home.
It was supposed to stay quiet until he was home, but the journalists were allowed to get their 'war photos' in preparation for the release of the story. All the other media outlets had kept to the agreement, just these '******' releasing details and now all hell will break loose. Not only in the media but every allied unit, every soldier in Afghanistan is now at greater risk!

Well they are lucky though that this has been kept quiet for so long. While I agree that it's dangerous to put this news out, BP was obviously prepared for this since pictures and interviews were ready. They certainly didn't expect all the media in the world to keep their mouth shut for 6 months and not ask questions about Harry's whereabouts once he vanished. Harry has most certainly be moved to a completely different area right now, if not send home altogether.

I'm glad to hear that Harry was able to fulfil his wish of fighting in Afghanistan.

However I am absolutely disgusted with the media for reporting this. They should be ashamed of themselves.

The media has put Harry and his fellow soldier's life in danger for reporting this.

The media has put Harry and his fellow soldier's life in danger for reporting this.
Not just Harry, they have put every allied soldier in danger, no matter what country they are from - I now know what it means to be 'incandescent with rage'.

I believe Harry and his chums to be as safe as they can be as they are probably embedded deeply into the action and have layers upon layers of protection.

Harry and his unit have extra special protection, probably, a regiment of Her Majesty's own personal protection should she herself wanted to visit the war zone as other leaders and dignitaries often do from time to time.

Firstly- Shame on the website who reported this. Now he and his colleagues are in even more danger!:bang:

Secondly- I wish him the best and the most safety for his whole team

None the less, I think that we can all agree that it is very disgraceful for whichever news media outlet let this one fly to have done so.

Last edited:
Harry has most certainly be moved to a completely different area right now, if not send home altogether.
Do you really think the Taliban haven't thought of that and that they will sit back and wait for another 'exclusive'? Obviously they will attack every unit with added zeal, in the hopes that one of them will be where Harry is! :censored::furious:
I believe Harry and his chums to be as safe as they can be as they are probably embedded deeply into the action and have layers upon layers of protection.

Harry and his unit have extra special protection, probably, a regiment of Her Majesty's own personal protection should she herself wanted to visit the war zone as other leaders and dignitaries often do from time to time.
Harry is serving as an ordinary officer in a war zone, no layers and layers of protection.

What a disgrace this 'newspaper' is, to break the news. Shameful, they should be prosecuted!!!!!!!!:bang::bang::bang:
[shortened]
For what exactly should the newspaper in question be prosecuted? Allow to remind you that the UK and other well-developed stable European monarchies/ democracies pride themselves on having a free press.Furthermore, I am inclined to think that the newspaper in question has bought the information about Prince Harry's duty in Afghanistan. This may imply there is an individual, who has sold this information without due regard for possible adverse consequences.
I am glad to learn that Prince Harry has got an opportunity to serve his country in such troubled zone as
Afghanistan. His presence may improve morale among British military personnel. At the same time, his presence poses great concerns for his security and commanding officers.

None the less, I think that we can all agree that it is very disgraceful for whichever news media outlet let this one fly to have done so.

{edited for consistency - Empress}
It was an American news website that broke the news, Matt Drudge? However it was first reported in an Australian magazine and a German paper, but Drudge made it a headline story.

For what exactly should the newspaper in question be prosecuted?
Breach of confidence! And if the death toll goes up among the allies, murder!

The Drudge Report which broke the story is extremely well connected and fed by very resepcted journalists.... The motive for leaking the story is what needs to be investigated.

Well, given the nature of things, and the agreements in place, the publication could be prosecuted for a number of things dependent upon the country in which it is incorporated and/or published.

For example in the US the publication could probably be prosecuted for depraved indifference, accessory to XXX (should something untoward happen to Harry), Breach of contract if they or anyone of their employees signed an agreement not to publish, theft if they have stolen the images or the information, and I could go on.

That is not to say that these would be successful prosecutions, but they could be brought. In other countries where stricter media codes are in place, there are likely to be far more opportunities for prosecution. Most countries take the safety of their troops extremely seriously and have agreements in place with media outlets that are legally binding.

Breach of confidence! And if the death toll goes up among the allies, murder!

Well... it sounds so undemoctratic ...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The presence of Prince Harry may not significantly contribute to a death toll among allied troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom