The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
. . . . . here the blame is being laid firmly at the door of Drudge.
Prince Harry Fighting In Afghanistan For Past 10 Weeks |Sky News|UK News
The magazine in question is the equivilent of your Tabloids. I have never heard of Drudge, but it seems it has a very high profile in the US and & UK. Not a good thing.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I think we're all on tenderhooks waiting to see what the next move is going to be. This leak is jeopardizing a lot! Someone has to answer for this.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I know what you mean! I thought of the similarity, and I'm not even one who believes that Harry's Hewitt's son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Brace yourselves for the James Hewitt comparisons which are likely to follow.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Thumbs down

I agree completely, Skydragon. When the news came out today about the lead through the Drudge Report, I was quite bothered by it. The media shouldn't have this kind of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
What a disgrace this 'newspaper' is, to break the news. Shameful, they should be prosecuted!!!!!!!!

They normally stay for 4-6 months and he was NOT due to return soon!
The interview was given, on a good faith basis, one the Australian, German & US 'journalists' broke.
It was supposed to stay quiet until he was home, but the journalists were allowed to get their 'war photos' in preparation for the release of the story. All the other media outlets had kept to the agreement, just these '******' releasing details and now all hell will break loose. Not only in the media but every allied unit, every soldier in Afghanistan is now at greater risk!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

There are a fair number of Canadians there as well, both soldiers and civilian contractors involved in the rebuilding. There was a report on the news that the Canadians and the British will be acting more closely together soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
It's madness to let him stay there. UK has been, with the US, the main country engaged in this war. The Talibans have one wish : destroy every single occidental soul around. Harry is the perfect target to spread fear.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Courtier

The news of the Princes' deployment and service in Afghanistan has been in the public domain in Australia for nearly 2 months! I most certainly was shown the magazine article, in New Idea, stating that he'd spent Christmas in the war zone, early in January, and another article in the same magazine the following week. The second article stated that Harry threatened to resign his commission and enlist as a private if he was continually thwarted, and also claimed that his father was the most reluctant to let him go.

Ergo, since January 7th, the Taliban has known that the Prince was in their territory. Harry's presence in Afghanistan is, thus, not news to them.

New Idea is the magazine which first published the tapped conversation between Prince Charles and the then Mrs Parker Bowles, i.e. 'Camillagate', one of the most despicable and shameful breaches of privacy which I've ever encountered. From memory, this was published in January, too.

There is informed opinion here which believes that this is a specific route which sections of the UK press follows when it wishes to break a story or countermand an embargo. As many Australians party, more or less, from the first Tuesday in November (Melbourne Cup - of huge national interest and a public holiday in Melbourne) through December and January, until Australia Day (26th January) and are more concerned with surf, sand and sun, and cricket, and barbeques, and generally enjoying the good life which Australia offers, little attention is usually given to major news stories, particularly those appearing in gossip rags. It does mean, however, that something which might be proscribed in another country can then be openly discussed in those places, i.e. 'In Australia, it's been reported that....'

A few things, here. First, there is no compunction on the media of any foreign country to adhere to any ban or blackout imposed by the British Defence Forces. This, of course, is a quite separate issue from the ethics of anyone from anywhere breaking an embargo, particularly on such a sensitive issue.

I'd also like to know who, in the UK, betrayed the confidence reposed in them. He or she is certainly guilty of culpable betrayal. Was he or she amply rewarded, financially? Was it someone from the Palace (as I seem to recall that New Idea inferred) or one of Harry's friends who disclosed this secret (New Idea reported on a big farewell party for Harry at a nightclub - Bujis)? Or was it, as many in the media believe, simply a Fleet Street stratagem, following a tried and erstwhile true course?

One aspect has been widely discussed here: that the media-interests in the UK which were disappointed that the local press didn't respond to the 'Harry story from Australia' after all, drew Matt Drudge's attention to it, knowing that Drudge would only be interested in 'breaking news' and have no obligation, whatsoever, to British interests. On the other hand, I can well imagine that many Americans would be quite proud and pleased to know that a scion of one of their eminent and notable families was 'doing his duty' with the ordinary joes in the army. And, after all, the US has troops in Afghanistan, as for that matter, does Australia. So, trying to think of any possible positive spin in this matter, given that the enemy already had the information about Harry's presence, could it have been a well-meaning but ill-conceived idea to boost the morale of the Allied troops, given that the war has become so intransigent, difficult, and, according to some vociferous critics, ultimately unwinnable?

As a matter of interest: when I first read the two stories, I checked out the magazine on the net. It was gratifying to read that a large number of readers had recorded their anger and annoyance with New Idea on its website, chiding it for endangering the prince and his cohort and denouncing its utter irresponsibility. The pages, still up earlier today, seem to have been, as a consequence of the outcry, removed. Drudge also has removed any reference to New Idea from his website, as well, claiming it as his 'scoop'. I'm quite happy for him to do so, especially as I truly believe that the whole was a deliberate and contrived, cynical exercise.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Gentry

I'll bet that Harry is really annoyed that his cover has been blown, leaving him and his regiment open to all sorts of added danger. Good on him for going there, (we all knew that he said that he wanted to go...)
His TV interview tonight was interesting, he came across as a nice young man, and hinted that the Queen had had a hand in him being posted to Afganistan. Son of a good father there I see, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that he is soon pulled home after this...the press should be ashamed of themselves. I hope that he and his comrades remain safe in the meantime...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I knew something was up with Harry and now we all know what it was -- unfortunately. As the mother of a daughter whom, at age 20/21, served two tours in Afghanistan with the US Army National Guard, I am certain it was difficult for the Queen, Charles and the rest of the family to have Harry go and I am just as certain they are very, very proud of him.

That the news leaked and he has probably already been sent home, is a crying shame and an outrage. I wonder if it would be illegal for me to send a case of rotten eggs to Drudge, as it appears he is nothing more than a rotten egg himelf! I am with SkyDragon, knowing what it truly means to be incandescent with rage! I probably lit up my entire neighborhood once I heard of the leak and by whom it was leaked. "Livid" seems too mild a word to describe my feelings.

I can only pray for Harry's safety and the safety of all others currently serving their coountries with pride, dignity and honor in Afghanistan and Iraq.

There is so much racing around inside me, thoughts, feelings, emotions, I hardly know what to say or at whom I can rage.

Cat
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
I knew something was up with Harry and now we all know what it was -- unfortunately. As the mother of a daughter whom, at age 20/21, served two tours in Afghanistan with the US Army National Guard, I am certain it was difficult for the Queen, Charles and the rest of the family to have Harry go and I am just as certain they are very, very proud of him.

That the news leaked and he has probably already been sent home, is a crying shame and an outrage. I wonder if it would be illegal for me to send a case of rotten eggs to Drudge, as it appears he is nothing more than a rotten egg himelf! I am with SkyDragon, knowing what it truly means to be incandescent with rage! I probably lit up my entire neighborhood once I heard of the leak and by whom it was leaked. "Livid" seems too mild a word to describe my feelings.

I can only pray for Harry's safety and the safety of all others currently serving their coountries with pride, dignity and honor in Afghanistan and Iraq.

There is so much racing around inside me, thoughts, feelings, emotions, I hardly know what to say or at whom I can rage.

Cat
I totally agree with you about the leak. When I received my CNN Headlines news update today, I immediately emailed them about broadcasting this information. As the wife of a soldier (he's been in for 21 years!), I can not believe the irresponsibility of the media. They have not only endangered Prince Harry's life but the lives of the soldiers in his unit (along with soldiers in the immediate vicinity). These soldiers have it rough enough, now that every terrorist in the world knows that there is a member of the royal family out there, who knows what these people will do, just so that they can further their cause.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

BBC has gone into overdrive here with the story....CNN is still talking about the presidential debate waiting to see when they'll report on it. The media should be ahsamed of themselves....ugh...but I respect Harry so much for this well done.....I feel no matter what the outcome is he'll come back a different person or atleast that's what I hope. But I do have to say a part of me wants him to stay he sounds so happy being there from what I've seen but another part of me is scared and wants him to return to the UK.....I just hope w/e the decision they make it's the right one
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Aristocracy

And I'm ashamed to say one of our tacky women's magazines that comes out weekly broke the story here in Australia, just reinforces to me why I never buy it , hope they get hauled over the coals well and truly for this
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

As far as I know the Drudge Report is not a traditional or even a well respected newscaster. They are highly political and they have engaged in questionable tactics before. I'm not even sure if they raise revenue to the degree that a traditional newscaster like CNN does.

However, I am amazed that Matt Drudge's readers are interested in what Harry is doing in Afghanistan.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Just saw the full interview(had just seen bits and clips before)...it was really good...now I feel even worse(if that's possible) over the leak.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Shame on Matt Drudge for leaking this! The media interviews were conditional on being released after his return. Harry now has to worry about safety concerns far above and beyond a normal soldier.
I quite agree. Shame on the Drudge report. I am furious that anyone can be so selfish and thoughtless as to do what must put his security at more risk than that to which it was already exposed. They publish the province in which he is based!
If anyone publishes more about his whereabouts I will be livid.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Courtier

Anderson Cooper is on CNN now and he said the British Government is scrambling to pull him out. To be honest it sounds kind of dangerous...
Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think one of the members said that a German paper released the news first. Does anyone know which one it was?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Freedom of the press, fine, but freedom comes with the price of responsibility! And it was irresponsible, even reckless (not to mention, selfish and dangerous to Harry & all soldiers in Afghanistan) to publish the photos before the agreed-upon-time of the end of his tour of duty!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I think one of the members said that a German paper released the news first. Does anyone know which one it was?
I think it's called Bild
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Army prepares to evacuate Harry after news blackout fails | UK news | The Guardian

I wonder if it's true. I'm still torn over all this and what may possibly happen next.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I think it's called Bild
Thanks zembia.

-- Deepak Chopra

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry