The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Commoner

Thats very cool, i bet Her Majesty is very proud of Her grandson. His Royal Highness was really eager to fight for his country and as a military man I feel bad for him having to stop doing something he loved. His Royal Highness showed great maturity the way he has handled himself through this whole thing.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Is it indeed the MOD? It's probably just the media tossing out that speculation about William, and not the MOD. I cannot imagine the MOD ever engages in trifling media speculation.
I read it really late at night so I guess I'm mistaken they didn't say MOD they just speculated. But for Harry returning this what they said:

Quote:

The head of the Army, Chief of the General Staff General Sir Richard Dannatt, said yesterday that any normal junior officer would expect a period of recuperation and retraining so it would be "hypothetical for the next 12 to 18 months" whether the prince would be deployed again. And Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, head of the Armed Forces, said Harry could be sent back to the front line only if his presence would not put others in greater danger of attack.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It's an interesting contrast between Harry and Andrew. Harry apparently yearns to be "normal", and Andrew denied any desire to be "a regular person" when he spoke to Meredith Vieira (because he couldn't imagine what that was exactly). Harry seemed almost gleeful when he talked about not having had clean clothes for 4 days, like the rest of the guys.

I do wish the press would get off the young man's back. I think he was right to say that he didn't want to sit around Windsor -- he's had all this training, he's young and wants excitement and to do something interesting and worthwhile. Better that he should go to war or work in Africa than fall out of bars in England while chased by photographers.

The powers that be had better harness his energy or they'll wind up with a male Princess Margaret.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
got your point skydragon.

I don't mind them talking but what is really disgusting when there is a money making purpose behind it, eg in case of Faye Turney from the Navy who got seized in Iran. I still can't believe that senior personnel allowed her to sell her story to the papers whilst still being employed by the Navy. That was a true disgrace.
100% agreement here!
What I find equally distasteful, are the bereaved parents who sell their story, they dishonor the child's intelligence for deciding to join up. IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

How dare anyone judge any one who is bereaved, when they have never walked in those shoes. To bury a son or a daughter is, probably, the worst thing in life. No one has a right to question those parent's motives.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Unless that parent is a certain Harrod's boss.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

From the Prince of Wales -website:

Prince Harry returns from Afghanistan
1st March 2008

Prince Harry returned to the United Kingdom after completing more than two months on active service in Afghanistan today.

The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry returns from Afghanistan

The Prince of Wales said his thoughts were with parents who lost loved ones in Afghanistan as he welcomed his son Harry home.

The Prince of Wales - HRH speaks of his 'relief and pride' as he welcomes Prince Harry home from Afghanistan
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
How dare anyone judge any one who is bereaved, when they have never walked in those shoes. To bury a son or a daughter is, probably, the worst thing in life. No one has a right to question those parent's motives.
Yes, it is one of the worst things any parent or indeed wife/husband/partner can go through and I can speak from experience! Earning money from the death of a child or spouse is abhorent to the majority of people I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Unless that parent is a certain Harrod's boss.
Yes indeed!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, it would be, but who are we to judge?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes, it would be, but who are we to judge?
Human, that is one of the reasons why we come on here and 'judge' others actions, dress sense or even posts.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Commoner

Congratulations Prince Harry for a job well done. I wonder what you're going to do next? I was very pleased to hear all your news and see your picture in the Courier Mail (Brisbane). Your brother and father are very proud of you as I am. The Queen has great plans for you I hope you do her well.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Commoner

Remember Harry that William is your older brother and thus has to lead you on.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw Harry on TV this morning. I am so proud of him and so relieved that he is okay. I remember Diana on the steps of the hospital holding him in her arms one day after giving birth like it was yesterday...life is so crazy!

And he is so handsome now, better looking than William which I couldn't have imagined when they were both little boys!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

They were talking about Harry this morning on tv during The View and showed Diana carrying him down the steps of the hospital..I got chills its so surreal. It was funny they were like as if the Talibans intelligent sources are better than ours. So they were on Harry's side which I like to hear. I cannot beleive people are still critcizing Harry everything from this being a PR move to how dare they promote him as a hero. Harry himself said he wouldn't call himself a hero...so I don't understand what everyone's problem is. He's as much as I hate to say this "not normal" this isn't the type of thing you see everyday coming from a royal that's why people are making a fuss about it they're not trying to say he's any better then any of the other soldiers out there. I for one am incredibly proud of Harry taking on such a scary thing and he has proved to me and I'm sure alot of other people that he is smart he is a good kid he's not exactly what the media portrays him as. Sorry I had to express my feelings about this.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 PM

I only want to say my own words of praise and pride for Prince Harry, and congratulation for his advance of rank and the achievement of a new medal by his squadron.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1948 View Post
Mine too but mind you I am already composing a letter to New Idea (No Idea) they didn't know it was a secret ???.....come on !!!....well doesn't the deathly silence from the British press speak volumes? Just another reminder why I never buy it, the irony being I bought an issue for a specific story I wanted to keep and lo and behold when I checked it, it was the issue that blabbed about Harry being in Afghanistan but of course never letting the truth get in the way of a good story I didn't take much notice
It's a toss up whether New Idea or Woman's Day is the worst of the two magazines.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
100% agreement here!
What I find equally distasteful, are the bereaved parents who sell their story, they dishonor the child's intelligence for deciding to join up. IMO.
I don't know. Some people who have suffered such a loss simply want to tell their story and if there is a journalist willing to listen and to make money out of the story on publishing it, the media should pay, I think. More to blame IMHO is the fact that there is a market for such stories, not the fact that people who are out of their mind with grief are willing to tell.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I only want to say my own words of praise and pride for Prince Harry, and congratulation for his advance of rank and the achievement of a new medal by his squadron.
Hm... I saw yesterday a feature about our former chancellor Schmidt's life and he recalls his time as a soldier (he spent 8 years as soldier for Nazi-Germany). He was asked if he had killed and answered that thankfully he served in a position where he only had to shoot at planes, not directly at people. But of course, he said: in all those planes were people, so yes, he killed. And answering if he thought about these lifes he had taken he said: of course, at night. That was more than 50 years after he had been a soldier. I wonder when Harry starts to realise that he has now blood on his hands and how he will cope with it.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's the one thing I worry the most about my boy serving over in Afghanistan, what if an IED takes him out? I applaud Harry for WANTING to go over, for setting the example. It's a tough job to say, "Yeah, there's a war going on, and I'm going to help lead it." That's courage. You already know that there's danger and you look it in the eye and say "I'm gonna make a difference anyway." That's cool. I applaud the Prince!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
That's the one thing I worry the most about my boy serving over in Afghanistan, what if an IED takes him out?
That is every parent/spouse/partners biggest dread. 6 months of waiting up for the occasional web link or phone call.
--------------------------------
Prince Harry of the UK, who had been in headlines for the last few days after his presence in Afghanistan was revealed, said there is 'no safer place to be than in the presence of Gurkhas

Nepalnews.com, news from Nepal as it happens

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry