The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
It wasn't the Daily Mail. It was the Telegraph and there's a video of Harry saying he doesn't actually like living in the UK. Add this to his statements about not wanting to a Prince and just wanting to be 'ordinary', I'd say there's quite a substantial argument for the sudden switch in public feeling. The sentiment coming through on TV and radio here is, "If he doesn't like it, give it all up and go away".
I'd see it the same way altough Harry probably did not chose his words wisely.

Harry chose his profession and lifestyle and he has to live with the consequences, that's very simple. He could have done what other princes who are not heirs have done if he doesn't like the media attention in his country: study and work abroad, even make his own living, if he likes. It's possible, just have a look at the dutch princes.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Nobility

I see we are mouthing the usual tabloid nonsense here. If he did not like England, why exactly was he in a war zone, putting his life and that of others in danger exactly? Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph printed edited version of it. However, if someone can post the exact interview clip for us to support their claim, by all means do so.

Prince Harry did not say he did not like England, rather he did not like the garbage media prints about him and the paparazzi constantly harassment, and felt he was treated 'normal' for the first time in his life.

I love how some of these media and cynical royal watchers are struggling with this reality of Harry doing something substantial for his country and Queen. Kinda goes against the party prince who had no purpose

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Harry chose his profession and lifestyle and he has to live with the consequences, that's very simple.
Well it depends on what you mean. I don't think Harry chose to be a prince. Yes, he chose to be a soldier which several other young men choose to do but I don't think Harry ever chose to be or not to be a prince.

I don't know if he can rightly choose to cast off his princely title and responsibilities.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Nobility

Prince Harry: Fellow troops pay tribute

More Interview and fellow Soldiers comment about Prince Harry:

Prince Harry: Fellow troops pay tribute online - Telegraph

'Harry will be missed by troops' - BBC

The Queen speaks of her pride at Prince Harry's bravery - Mirror.co.uk

Prince Harry's interview:

Humbled Prince Harry Says: 'I'm No Hero' After Afghanistan |Sky News|UK News

BBC NEWS | UK | Prince Harry rejects 'hero' label
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

And if it was possible for him to give up his title, can you imagine what a target he'd be for terrorists and stalkers? He'd have no official protection then at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Well it depends on what you mean. I don't think Harry chose to be a prince. Yes, he chose to be a soldier which several other young men choose to do but I don't think Harry ever chose to be or not to be a prince.

I don't know if he can rightly choose to cast off his princely title and responsibilities.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I find the talk of this being a "publicity stunt" distasteful. This wasn't a nice safe visit to a hospital or a homeless shelter in the UK; this was serious fighting where Prince Harry's life was in danger. BTW, I think that Chelsy did an excellent job of keeping this quiet.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 AM

What about pictures?

John Stillwell of Press Association was given access to Cornet Wales, on ten-week tour of duty with his army regiment, in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan on 18-21 February 2008. The Ministry of Defense also captured television footage for use by Agence France Press (AFP) TV.
Photo credits: AP/PA, Reuters
Gallery
Gallery 2

On Saturday, the Prince returned safely and apparently happily to Britain with his squadron, landing at RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, where he was met by his father and his brother.
He granted a television interview on the same day.
Photo credits: Reuters, AFP/AP
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Gallery

Other galleries
Arriving in Britain
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Leaving Afghanistan to go home, 1 March 2008

65 pictures of his tour of duty in February

140 pictures of Harry in Afghanistan
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
81 more
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Commoner

Good for you Harry, and well done.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Nobility

Well Done Your Royal Highness! You have made HM and HRH, your Dad proud. Your beloved mum would have been very proud too.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
I just read the interview Harry gave and some of the many reports in the media after his return to Britain.
I´m a bit surprised that everything only sounds great, good, positive....
I think Harry and all the others there made and make a very dangerous, important, good job and there is very reason to be proud of them.
But when i read what he said, i missed any comment about the cruel of war, and i think very war is a cruel thing.
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??
I agree with you. But I imagine he has been told what he can and cannot say, and as a serviceman representing the MOD, he cannot speak of things that would be conflictive against the military policies. And to speak of the horrific truths might be akin to speaking out against the war, which I suppose he cannot do, being an officer representing the cause. Remember that there is a great difference between being a military officer and being a politician. While the politician can take a stance on issues, the military officer is duty-bound to execute the policies of the Defense Ministry, not to make or criticize those policies. And it probably applies more so to Harry, because of his high profile. He must be an example to lesser known soldiers.
But I agree with you completely that the glossing over of war is never pleasant to witness.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Just read Daily Mail's new article of Harry not enjoying being a "poster boy" for the Army and would someone love to explain to me why the Ministry of Defence is going around even suggesting that William could be deployed with the Navy and Harry could be re-deployed with his regiment later this year. Are they just asking for more trouble? I think they should just keep their mouths shut if they don't want to hurt them and the other soliders.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Have they actually said that William could be deployed to a war zone or just that he could be deployed "overseas"? The seas are pretty big.

EDIT: Looking at the articles, it does make it sound like they were being a little overzealous, but they still seemed to add quite a bit of leeway by mentioning the Indian Ocean and South Atlantic.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

Harry is a prince by birth, there is nothing to chose about. What I mean is the choice what to do with his life, keeping in mind that he IS a prince and ALWAYS WILL BE in the interest of the media. Some professions or lifestyles might work well with this fact, others don't. It was quite clear from when he decided to join that being the 3rd in the line to the throne and a career in the army including doing his duty in a warzone might not be an easy match. Nevertheless he chose to go ahead and in the last days we have seen the consequences, hardly surprising. If he had chosen to study abroad or work abroad for charitable causes (eg his Africa charity) or even in a "normal" job there would be some controlled media appearances but that would be about it, allowing him to lead a life as normal as it can get for a prince. It's possible for others therefore it's possible for Harry, too but entirely up to him. Unfortunately these days he's paying the tribute for being a prince when not being able to go ahead with what he loves to do, I reckon that, but there are always two sides of the story as being a prince could, on the other hand, at least open doors for him that might remain closed for Joe Average.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??
I thought the same since the majority of the pics showed him playing rugby, riding a motorbike or joking around in his army outfit, like on a big adventure playground, including computergames and shootings. I am sure Harry is very serious about his stay but I am not sure if the right ankle of coverage had been chosen by the media. It should have been much more low key or pragmatic since this was neither a prince on adventure holiday nor is Harry a hero as some papers chose as headline, for what?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I thought the same since the majority of the pics showed him playing rugby, riding a motorbike or joking around in his army outfit, like on a big adventure playground, including computergames and shootings. I am sure Harry is very serious about his stay but I am not sure if the right ankle of coverage had been chosen by the media. It should have been much more low key or pragmatic since this was neither a prince on adventure holiday nor is Harry a hero as some papers chose as headline, for what?
I don't think there would be many members of this particular press pack willing to follow him into dangerous areas. The photo opportunities would have been carefully arranged, in an effort not to give away vital information. The pictures of him with his gun are because that is part of his job, all of them take out computer games and laptops, that is one of the things they do in their off duty time. Yes they play games, bikes, quads, but they can't go to the local dance or nightclub. Great in some of the bigger () camps, the Americans tend to set up coffee and burger bars, but that can get boring. The pictures help to show the families back home that their boys are allowed 'creature comforts'.

I have to wonder what some people wanted to see, a candid of him shooting the 'enemy' perhaps?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I have to wonder what some people wanted to see, a candid of him shooting the 'enemy' perhaps?
Oh god forbid! In my opinion the media coverage should have been much more low key rather than allowing a member of the army, even if it's Prince Harry, to chat about everything that comes to his mind and allowing such extended coverage about his daily life in Afghanistan. The issue was controversial from the beginning and the more it fills the papers and people's living rooms the worse for Harry and his position in the army. It would be helpful in case he would work full time in Lesotho but not in this case.

It's sad that it needs an employment of Prince Harry in a warzone to raise the interest in what many brave people are doing for their country every day.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oh god forbid! In my opinion the media coverage should have been much more low key rather than allowing a member of the army, even if it's Prince Harry, to chat about everything that comes to his mind and allowing such extended coverage about his daily life in Afghanistan. The issue was controversial from the beginning and the more it fills the papers and people's living rooms the worse for Harry and his position in the army. It would be helpful in case he would work full time in Lesotho but not in this case.

It's sad that it needs an employment of Prince Harry in a warzone to raise the interest in what many brave people are doing for their country every day.
I'm sorry, I may have come across as a little harsh. We actually saw very little about the daily life of any of the servicemen or women, just carefully selected segments. I think we need to see more about the job the allies are doing and if that means 'using' Harry, then so be it. ITV have been doing some good features, but most people couldn't care less about the troops and some in Britain actually wish them great harm. Whatever someones personal view on the conflicts, there are real people doing the bidding of their government.

Someone commented earlier, that they are not allowed to discuss the horrible things they have seen or the 'bad' aspects of war, this is not the case, as has been seen time and again in the papers. The majority choose not to, after all what good will it do, most will tell you they joined up to fight as and when needed.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Just read Daily Mail's new article of Harry not enjoying being a "poster boy" for the Army and would someone love to explain to me why the Ministry of Defence is going around even suggesting that William could be deployed with the Navy and Harry could be re-deployed with his regiment later this year. Are they just asking for more trouble? I think they should just keep their mouths shut if they don't want to hurt them and the other soliders.
Is it indeed the MOD? It's probably just the media tossing out that speculation about William, and not the MOD. I cannot imagine the MOD ever engages in trifling media speculation.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Someone commented earlier, that they are not allowed to discuss the horrible things they have seen or the 'bad' aspects of war, this is not the case, as has been seen time and again in the papers. The majority choose not to, after all what good will it do, most will tell you they joined up to fight as and when needed.
got your point skydragon.

I don't mind them talking but what is really disgusting when there is a money making purpose behind it, eg in case of Faye Turney from the Navy who got seized in Irak. I still can't believe that senior personnel allowed her to sell her story to the papers whilst still being employed by the Navy. That was a true disgrace.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Courtier

Proud royal grandma to present medal to Harry and fellow soldiers

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry