The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Nobility

I just want to give a "shoutout" to his brother William....carrying all those heavy bags for his brother upon arrival .....OMG, that made me so proud of him for doing such a kind gesture when they have servants "for everything"...because in days past, royal men, let alone an heir, never carried a bag for anybody...

And I bet Harry even puts his own toothpaste on his toothbrush!!!

William's act of royal kindness reminded me so much of Prince Andrew hustling without trepidation at the fire at Windsor Castle....

I would also like to add that a news report on Foxnews.com here in the USA had Mark Summers, evil paparazzo who harrassed, hounded and verbally abused his mother to tears many times, in a suit and tie, being called a "royal expert", acting like he was Dickie Arbiter, expounding on Prince Harry....I was aghast and quite angry.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Courtier

Well, Isbel, I've read a fair few opinions which state that it was a publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry. Rehabilitate him! at age 23! I ask you! Such bloody cheek!

Given his position, his money, his upbringing and his temperament, he's behaved merely like a spoilt and privileged young man, denied any constructive purpose in his life - until now!

If there's any reflected glory on the Royal Family, well, that's a good thing, too. My father (formerly a British army officer) has told me that Prince Michael of Kent's military career was destroyed by his not being permitted to join his regiment in Northern Ireland, which many people sincerely regretted and deplored. And that was the end of Michael's truly practical service to his cousin, the Monarch, and his country. So far as I'm aware, none of the Prince's comrades at arms were concerned, one jot, about his presence bringing more danger to them. Soldiers are soldiers, I was told, and accept anything asked of them from their sense of duty and training, whether they're officers or other ranks.

The fact remains that Harry has had a discernible and public penchant for the army all of his llife, and rumour has it, too, that he was much more successful at Sandhurst than was William.

So far as one can judge these things, Harry is a natural, and given the ghastly nature of the war in Afghanistan, for everyone, I believe that it is an immense positive for the Allies and the non-combative citizens of that country, that young Harry has proven so willing.

If it were, indeed, a PR exercise to boost morale, well, why not? It's worked! Harry's short engagement in Afghanistan will mean more to the troops on the ground than any staged, theatrical appearance by any politician from anywhere (Australia included).

The one continuing concern which I have is that my great-grandfather, a military strategist, died by 'mischance' in The Third Afghan War, in 1919. He was seconded there to help to re-inforce and re-build India's troops (which included Pakistan, in those times) but he was physically and mentally exhausted after 2 years' service in the European theatre. One wonders how many more British, Canadian, Australian, US, NATO soldiers', inter alia, lives will ultimately be spent in this most recalcitrant of countries.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Nobility

I got quite a chuckle when I saw the "leek" pinned to Prince Charles' lapel in honor of St. David's Day in Wales....because maybe Matt Drudge simply got the days mixed up on which day it was to give "leaks" of Cornet Wales...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Courtier

In pictures..

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Prince Harry in Afghanistan
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I got quite a chuckle when I saw the "leek" pinned to Prince Charles' lapel in honor of St. David's Day in Wales....because maybe Matt Drudge simply got the days mixed up on which day it was to give "leaks" of Cornet Wales...
It does look more like a spring onion than a leek actually. But a whole leek would just be too much. It's a symbol not a market stall.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Thumbs up

Great to see a positive Royal article in News of The World!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Courtier

watch video full interview of harry... on right side...

Humbled Prince Harry Says: 'I'm No Hero' After Afghanistan |Sky News|UK News

'Humbled harry 'I am no hero'
Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks so much for posting his interview. I loved hearing about his experience in his own words. I so admire him. There's no doubt he's very passionate about serving his country so I hope he can continue doing so for years to come.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Commoner

My respect for Harry has risen several notches.

Well done, LT.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camm2 View Post
My respect for Harry has risen several notches.

Well done, LT.
Mine too but mind you I am already composing a letter to New Idea (No Idea) they didn't know it was a secret ???.....come on !!!....well doesn't the deathly silence from the British press speak volumes? Just another reminder why I never buy it, the irony being I bought an issue for a specific story I wanted to keep and lo and behold when I checked it, it was the issue that blabbed about Harry being in Afghanistan but of course never letting the truth get in the way of a good story I didn't take much notice
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK
They are all sat together on the troop transport planes, which I am told do not know the meaning of the word 'comfort', think 66th class! When you are stuck with one another for any amount of time, you tend to be chatty and that applies to most service personnel, not just Harry.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"
My goodness and this coming from a 'man' who has done nothing, except line his pockets at the expense of others misfortune! If it had been merely a publicity stunt, I am sure we would have had the whole waving him off to war show.

This was no publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry, this was a genuine wish to do the job he is paid for!!!

Max Clifford should be ashamed of himself!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

I just read the interview Harry gave and some of the many reports in the media after his return to Britain.
I´m a bit surprised that everything only sounds great, good, positive....
I think Harry and all the others there made and make a very dangerous, important, good job and there is very reason to be proud of them.
But when i read what he said, i missed any comment about the cruel of war, and i think very war is a cruel thing.
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??
Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
I just read the interview Harry gave and some of the many reports in the media after his return to Britain.
I think Harry and all the others there made and make a very dangerous, important, good job and there is very reason to be proud of them.
But when i read what he said, i missed any comment about the cruel of war, and i think very war is a cruel thing.
I´m sorry, but Harry´s interview sounds to me a bit like a great adventure hoilday. Is this the reality of the war in Afghanistan??
The trouble is, IMO, that nobody REALLY wants to hear servicemen and women speak of the horrors they have seen or been involved in. A lot of the time they have to 'gloss' over the horrors they have seen, to get on with their lives when they get back. It is the same when someone has been ill, people may say 'how are you', but they don't really want to know of the hundreds of visits to the hospital or the symptoms being experienced. They are all experiences you can only talk about with people who have been through the same horrors.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
well you can be sure he was given strict instructions about what he could say and what he couldn't say. at any rate i'm sure he doesn't want to cause the families of his commrades any more anguish than they already have.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I just want to give a "shoutout" to his brother William....carrying all those heavy bags for his brother upon arrival .....OMG, that made me so proud of him for doing such a kind gesture when they have servants "for everything"...because in days past, royal men, let alone an heir, never carried a bag for anybody...
You are totally right!
Nice gallery of pics from Abaca Press
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
My goodness and this coming from a 'man' who has done nothing, except line his pockets at the expense of others misfortune! If it had been merely a publicity stunt, I am sure we would have had the whole waving him off to war show.

This was no publicity stunt to rehabilitate Harry, this was a genuine wish to do the job he is paid for!!!

Max Clifford should be ashamed of himself!
Who stole all HIS marbles????

If an Aussie rag hadn't blabbed (I'm ashamed to say) he'd STILL be there some people don't "get" (or refuse to "get") just why he had to come home
Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

AFGHAN militants say they knew that Prince Harry was among soldiers recently deployed in their country and had been gunnning for him, a US magazine reported.

AdelaideNow... We knew Prince Harry was here - Taliban

Oh right, of course they did! That is why after he has arrived home, they felt the need to say they knew!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

No doubt that was why they didn't put a price on his head till after the news broke. Perhaps they'd agreed to honour the news blackout along with all the media...

Not that it looks too good for them, having known all along and all that, since they didn't manage to do anything about it in the ten weeks he was there. Makes them look a bit like prats however they spin it.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. Veterans rarely come back and talk about the horrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The trouble is, IMO, that nobody REALLY wants to hear servicemen and women speak of the horrors they have seen or been involved in. A lot of the time they have to 'gloss' over the horrors they have seen, to get on with their lives when they get back. It is the same when someone has been ill, people may say 'how are you', but they don't really want to know of the hundreds of visits to the hospital or the symptoms being experienced. They are all experiences you can only talk about with people who have been through the same horrors.

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry