The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #201  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Though that doesn't apply to dinner at Clarence House.
Dear BeatrixFan, you have such a determination to see the illness of every circumstance. You're wish to see illness must be the cause of attracting it into your every sight and experience.
__________________

__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:30 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

Quote:
While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"
No wonder Harry didn't want to come back to England; even when he does his best he can't catch a break.

I've read about another man an England saying something similar to this on a news program. I truly hope this isn't what many people are thinking.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
^^I think there's a lot mixed feelings from journalists about the media blackout and they are acting out about it.

It definitely didn't go down the way the palace had hoped I'm sure...the NY Times has a great article about the whole thing today and how it was handled...

Prince Harry and the Secret Kept by Fleet Street - New York Times
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:03 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Dear BeatrixFan, you have such a determination to see the illness of every circumstance. You're wish to see illness must be the cause of attracting it into your every sight and experience.
It was a throw away joke darling, not a Freudian expose into my inner soul.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:11 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Article about him coming home; but of course there's always someone to criticize Harry:

Princes greet Harry from Afghanistan - CNN.com

Quote:
While the deployment has transformed the image of Harry, previously dubbed the "playboy prince" by many newspapers, veteran PR expert Max Clifford on Saturday criticized what he regards as an ill-conceived publicity stunt.
"It just comes across, the whole thing, as a very, very calculated public relations exercise," designed to rehabilitate Harry's image as a partying posh boy, he told Channel 4 News.
He said Harry was never put "in real danger," and said the public was more clear-sighted about the manipulation than the media had been.
Clifford added: "The other aspect of it is he's been shown firing a machine gun at Muslims. What does that say? He becomes a big target. Harry likes to go to clubs and pubs -- does that make them targets?"
No wonder Harry didn't want to come back to England; even when he does his best he can't catch a break.

I've read about another man an England saying something similar to this on a news program. I truly hope this isn't what many people are thinking.
No actually, I think that the BRF sought to do with the press here what they have done with the press before so that the press would leave them alone.

They do it at the ski slopes all the time. Invite the press in for an interview and a photo shoot and then ask the press to leave them alone.

I think its more plausible that they figured they would have better luck with a media blackout if they involved the media and gave them something to report.

And the sad fact is that they probably did have better success with a media blackout here than they would have if they hadn't enlisted the media's participation. But if this is what success looks like, I don't want to even think of what failure would have entailed.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:52 PM
pinkie40's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
I disagree with criticisms of Prince Harry of his military service being some "stunt" to repair his image! Even as a child he played "war games". It is his life's passion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
So does Harry get a break now from the army? The rest of his group is still in Afghanistan so would he join another regimen or what? I'm very confused as to what he'll be doing now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Though that doesn't apply to dinner at Clarence House.

It was nice to see the pictures of the family picking Harry up! I know I always like to be there when my son comes home! It means a lot to them as well!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Can you imagine the publicity coup, if they get Harry especially on his home turf. For the terrorists, it would be a major recruiting drive.... "Look even your Prince is not safe in his own country".

All service personnel are told to be more vigilant and not to publicise where they have been. There is some concern about the parades some towns are holding, but the reasoning is, that they look different with their clothes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
if he were caught by the taliban, it would certainly put an entirely new twist on the "no negotiation policy" that most of the governments have regarding their citizens being kidnapped. having said that, he's done a wonderful service for his country and freedom of the people of afghanizstan and and the fight against terrorism and he should be proud of himself. well done harry!
Ya I can imagine. I hope this eventually dies down though


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
No one appears to have had his tour cut short, they could just be ordinary turn around troops.

Charles and William will be at Brize to welcome him home and to Harry that will be priceless.
Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 03-01-2008, 04:20 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ya I wasn't sure if they're from his regiment(is that the right word?) I was just judging from the way Harry was talking to them. You know like they were old chums, but then again Harry could just be really friendly. Having said that though and just checking the pictures of his arrival, the guy he was talking to at the airport also landed with him in the UK
Well they had a long flight back together so even if he didn't know them before he had plenty of time to get to know them on the plane! Harry seems pretty social, and I think he's compfortable around fellow soldiers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
^Ya exactly that's what I assumed too. if they didn't know each other it wouldn't matter 'cause Harry seems pretty friendly and social so they'd probably end up looking like best friends by the time they arrived.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-01-2008, 05:46 PM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
Is this pic new? It looks like Charles picked Harry up from the airport or something...LOL

Prince Harry: Back Because of Blabbers - TMZ.com - Entertainment News, Celebrity Gossip and Hollywood Rumors
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Yes. Both Prince Charles and Prince William met his plane at the base where he flew in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arcadia, United States
Posts: 451
Was what ever agreement that the media had with the Army and/or CH only with British media of with all international media?
Both father and brother were there to welcome him home.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Polly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mebourne, Australia
Posts: 656
Whereas I think very well of Harry and his service, I don't believe that he's any more a hero than the countless other soldiers serving their countries in war zones.

He's certainly no more a hero than my family were or are, and my people who went and go to war without personal bodyguards!

Let's simply acknowledge that Harry's quitted himself honourably, has reason to feel proud, and desist from all of this hyperbolic nonsense.

Every man or woman in the armed forces are all heroes, to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Warfare brings out the hyperbolic nonsense in people I'm afraid, Polly.

Btw, I just noticed that the New York Times article that zembia posted above confirmed my suspicions of why the royals agreed for Harry to meet and be interviewed with the press:

Quote:
For agreeing to keep quiet, the editors wanted assurances that they would receive access to Prince Harry in Afghanistan; photos of the prince in military fatigues were sure to sell papers.
“We had to actually operate as a group if it was going to work,” said Mr. Satchwell, who also acknowledged that he did not expect the blackout to last more than a few days.
This is the media cynicism at its best. They force Harry to put on a song and dance act for them so they will keep quiet and they don't even hold up their end of the bargain.

Not only that, the person they're doing business with didn't even think the media would honor the blackout for a few days.

The New York Times is trying to put a good spin on it like look how responsible we are being for holding back this long.

And then this other paper has the gall to claim that Harry is doing this as a publicity stunt to make himself and the Royal Family look good?

I'm not impressed at all.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Whereas I think very well of Harry and his service, I don't believe that he's any more a hero than the countless other soldiers serving their countries in war zones.

He's certainly no more a hero than my family were or are, and my people who went and go to war without personal bodyguards!

Let's simply acknowledge that Harry's quitted himself honourably, has reason to feel proud, and desist from all of this hyperbolic nonsense.

Every man or woman in the armed forces are all heroes, to me.
I agree, and I don't think anybody believes he's more of a hero than any other man or woman in the military. I think people are just impressed that a Prince/someone privledged would sacrifice himself and get down and dirty like the rest of them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
pinkie40's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
Well, I'm proud he has earned the right to wear his military uniform at royal occasions...

You would think they would have made him shave his head..surely that red mop of his attracted attention and set him apart a bit...

He is a surprising young man...He sort of did his "own thing" at his mother's memorial service and now this! I bet there are plenty of more surprises from Cornet Wales in the future.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Well, I'm proud he has earned the right to wear his military uniform at royal occasions...

You would think they would have made him shave his head..surely that red mop of his attracted attention and set him apart a bit...

He is a surprising young man...He sort of did his "own thing" at his mother's memorial service and now this! I bet there are plenty of more surprises from Cornet Wales in the future.
Indeed. Unlike that brother of his...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
karla64's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lynnwood, United States
Posts: 896
more pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...War290208a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...3_harry_09.jpg


Harry says I am no hero..

Prince Harry: I'm no hero | News | News of the World
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
active service, afghanistan, armed services, army, career, prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
King Zahir Shah (1914-2007) and the Royal Family of Afghanistan indian_royal Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies 31 08-05-2014 11:43 AM
Prince William and Prince Harry's charity motorbike trek in Africa, October 2008 Incas Prince Harry and Prince William 189 11-17-2008 08:49 AM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 21 : Dec.2006 - April 2007 Lady Jennifer Current Events Archive 190 04-24-2007 06:26 PM
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Visit to the Netherlands; February 5, 2007 Empress Dutch Royals 54 02-08-2007 03:04 AM
Pierre Casiraghi Current Events 5 : Dec.2005 - Feb.2006 Gabriella Current Events Archive 269 02-04-2006 10:24 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]