The Duke of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was he patron of? The lecture?

New charity in 2012? Looking forward finding that out.

He's now Patron of The Halo Trust's 25th Anniversary Celebrations and Patron of the Rugby Football Union’s All Schools Programme.

He's now Patron of The Halo Trust's 25th Anniversary Celebrations and Patron of the Rugby Football Union’s All Schools Programme.

Yes. Thank you being more specific than I was. I need to actually say what his new patronages are. :)

The Halo Trust has to do with landmines I believe which is what is mother very famously advocated for.

Yes. Thank you being more specific than I was. I need to actually say what his new patronages are. :)

The Halo Trust has to do with landmines I believe which is what is mother very famously advocated for.

Some information on the two new Patronages;

The Halo Trust - We have over 8,000 full-time staff in 13 countries, with on-going surveys into new regions. By December 2012, twenty-four years after founding HALO, we have reached some important milestones that include:

Over 1.4 million landmines destroyed
Over eleven million items of larger calibre ordnance destroyed
Over 195,000 cluster munitions destroyed
Over fifty three million bullets destroyed
Over 3,300 heavy weapon systems immobilised
Over 160,000 assault rifles destroyed
Over 9,800 minefields cleared
31,875 hectares (78,764 acres) made safe from landmines
143,429 hectares (354,420 acres) made safe from unexploded and abandoned ordnance
14,345 kilometres (8,914 miles) of roads cleared

25th Anniversary Press Release

The website doesn't mention Diana which I think is testament to their amazing work.

Rugby Football Union’s All Schools Programme - Prince Harry announced as Patron of RFU's All Schools programme

The RFU firmly believes that rugby union is a game for All Schools – all schools and all young people in a school can play, and rugby can have a positive impact on all of the school. Currently, around 1,500 state secondary schools play competitive rugby union. As Patron, Prince Harry will support the RFU in its ambition for 750 more to be self-sufficient rugby playing schools by the Rugby World Cup 2019, and to encourage new players to join local clubs.

Very good news of Harry's involvement with Halo! Can we expect a visit to one of the countries they are in?

Very good news of Harry's involvement with Halo! Can we expect a visit to one of the countries they are in?

Well that would entirely be up to Halo. All we got today is news of the new patronage.

I did think he would get involved with Halo and I think it's great.

Prince Harry: paron of 6 organisations.

Prince Philip: paron of 800 organisations.

Disappointing.

Disappointing.

Prince Philip, full time royal since 1952

Prince Harry, full time army officer, seconded to Army Air corp.

Prince Philip, full time royal since 1952

Prince Harry, full time army officer, seconded to Army Air corp.

Yes but Harry at 28 years old should be doing more than his 92 year old grandad.

It seems there is a high level of dissatisfaction with some, regarding the charity work of William, Kate, and Harry. :whistling:

Disappointing.

As you accumulate more patronages with time and don't become royal patron of all of them at the same time, it's normal that a 92 year old has more patronages than a 28 year old, no?

As you accumulate more patronages with time and don't become royal patron of all of them at the same time, it's normal that a 92 year old has more patronages than a 28 year old, no?

Perfectly normal, especially when the 92 yr old has been consort of the reigning monarch for 61 years. Rather unfair to compare Philips position to that of the Queen's grandson.

Why should he?

Of course he should. His Royal position comes with responsibilities.

Surely that is like asking why the Queen shouldn't retire? Or why Wallis Simpson shouldn't have been Queen? Or why Kate should have any children.

Of course he should. His Royal position comes with responsibilities.

Surely that is like asking why the Queen shouldn't retire? Or why Wallis Simpson shouldn't have been Queen? Or why Kate should have any children.

Of course his royal position comes with responsibilities, but not the same responsibilites as The Duke of Edinburgh, husband to the monarch who has been a full time royal for 60+ years?

Henry is a 28 year old young man who is currently doing his stint in the royal forces, just like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather and so on and so forth before him.

From 1971-1976 Prince Charles served in the navy, heir to the throne remember. By the time Prince Philip was 28 he had seen action for numerous years in WWII and after his marriage (married to the heir to the throne now) he returned to his naval duties for as long as he could.

Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades, Henry is serving his Queen and his country and doing his family proud. He is also partaking in engagements when his full time job allows. When he chooses to leave the forces and become a full time royal then all the fan girls will be shouting from the rooftops. Until then let him actually do something he clearly enjoys.

As to your other, rather ridiculous example, I am one of those people who would say Why shouldn't the Queen retire (if she wanted to)? Why should Catherine be forced to have children if she didn't want them? ( Obviously she does so the question is mute) As for Wallis, well what was the point in even mentioning her?

Your questions have little relevance as to why Prince Henry should give up something he enjoys doing to magically accumalate 794 new patronages so he can live up to the standards of his 92 year old husband to The Queen grandfather?

Last edited:
Of course his royal position comes with responsibilities, but not the same responsibilites as The Duke of Edinburgh, husband to the monarch who has been a full time royal for 60+ years?

Henry is a 28 year old young man who is currently doing his stint in the royal forces, just like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather and so on and so forth before him.

From 1971-1976 Prince Charles served in the navy, heir to the throne remember. By the time Prince Philip was 28 he had seen action for numerous years in WWII and after his marriage (married to the heir to the throne now) he returned to his naval duties for as long as he could.

Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades, Henry is serving his Queen and his country and doing his family proud. He is also partaking in engagements when his full time job allows. When he chooses to leave the forces and become a full time royal then all the fan girls will be shouting from the rooftops. Until then let him actually do something he clearly enjoys.

As to your other, rather ridiculous example, I am one of those people who would say Why shouldn't the Queen retire (if she wanted to)? Why should Catherine be forced to have children if she didn't want them? ( Obviously she does so the question is mute) As for Wallis, well what was the point in even mentioning her?

Your questions have little relevance as to why Prince Henry should give up something he enjoys doing to magically accumalate 794 new patronages so he can live up to the standards of his 92 year old husband to The Queen grandfather?

Noone said he should accumulate hundreds of patronages. But as you rightly point out, Harry (or Henry as you insist on calling him) is doing his stint in the army largely out of tradition or to serve the Queen, but similarly I think he could do the same by taking on more royal duties, rather than taking a job in the army someone else can do. :)

But as you rightly point out, Harry (or Henry as you insist on calling him) is doing his stint in the army largely out of tradition or to serve the Queen, but similarly I think he could do the same by taking on more royal duties, rather than taking a job in the army someone else can do. :)

Well that is the name his parents gave him?

Actually I never said he was doing it out of tradition or to serve The Queen so please do not twist my words. I said

"Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades"

and

"Henry is serving his Queen"

Henry is more than likely serving in the forces because it is something he wants to do, enjoys it, and it keeps him away from the prying eyes of the press vultures. Have you seen the interview he did in Afghanistan? Have you read the stories about him wanting to return after his tour was cut short?

The Queen seems quite happy to let her grandson partake in something he enjoys, whilst he is not needed.

Last edited:
I disagree with you on this royal-blue. Harry is in the army because it is what he has always wanted to do. Not all the Royals do military because of tradition - in fact most of them don't.

Prince Philip - career naval officer and would have stayed in except for the death of the King
Prince Charles - naval career and came out because the Queen wanted his support for her silver jubilee. Worse thing she ever did to him, IMO.
Prince Andrew - career naval officer, came out to try and save his marriage
Prince Edward - tried it, didn't like it , came out - sensible decision.
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent - career army officer, over 25 years
Prince Michael of Kent, career army officer

Everyone needs a sense of purpose and belonging and William and Harry are no different. They get that from being in the military; they work along side "ordinary" people and take risks as well. This can only make them more rounded and more experienced when they finally take up full time royal duties.

Can I also say that 600 patronages (for example() does not equate to 600 engagements pa. There are royal patronages that received a visit from HMQ and DoE every 10-15 years.

The younger generation - I mean PoW,Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry do it differently. They make linkages between the needy and those people/organisations with funds; they link together charities that need similar resources. The general idea is to take on fewer; know them in depth over a shorter period of time; make them sufficient and move on. So forget 600 patronages. I think its going to be, for example, 20 over 3 years - then another 20 etc etc.

Makes the limited resources of both money and royalty go further,

Last edited:
That goat is so adorable!

I agree. And Harry just makes me smile. If I were able to share a pint with three of the family, it would be Harry, Wills and Zara (and I would hope that she would bring Mike along). And if I could share a pint with only one of them, it would be flip between Harry and Zara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom