The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why should he?
Of course he should. His Royal position comes with responsibilities.

Surely that is like asking why the Queen shouldn't retire? Or why Wallis Simpson shouldn't have been Queen? Or why Kate should have any children.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Of course he should. His Royal position comes with responsibilities.

Surely that is like asking why the Queen shouldn't retire? Or why Wallis Simpson shouldn't have been Queen? Or why Kate should have any children.
Of course his royal position comes with responsibilities, but not the same responsibilites as The Duke of Edinburgh, husband to the monarch who has been a full time royal for 60+ years?

Henry is a 28 year old young man who is currently doing his stint in the royal forces, just like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather and so on and so forth before him.

From 1971-1976 Prince Charles served in the navy, heir to the throne remember. By the time Prince Philip was 28 he had seen action for numerous years in WWII and after his marriage (married to the heir to the throne now) he returned to his naval duties for as long as he could.

Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades, Henry is serving his Queen and his country and doing his family proud. He is also partaking in engagements when his full time job allows. When he chooses to leave the forces and become a full time royal then all the fan girls will be shouting from the rooftops. Until then let him actually do something he clearly enjoys.

As to your other, rather ridiculous example, I am one of those people who would say Why shouldn't the Queen retire (if she wanted to)? Why should Catherine be forced to have children if she didn't want them? ( Obviously she does so the question is mute) As for Wallis, well what was the point in even mentioning her?

Your questions have little relevance as to why Prince Henry should give up something he enjoys doing to magically accumalate 794 new patronages so he can live up to the standards of his 92 year old husband to The Queen grandfather?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Of course his royal position comes with responsibilities, but not the same responsibilites as The Duke of Edinburgh, husband to the monarch who has been a full time royal for 60+ years?

Henry is a 28 year old young man who is currently doing his stint in the royal forces, just like his father and grandfather and great-grandfather and so on and so forth before him.

From 1971-1976 Prince Charles served in the navy, heir to the throne remember. By the time Prince Philip was 28 he had seen action for numerous years in WWII and after his marriage (married to the heir to the throne now) he returned to his naval duties for as long as he could.

Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades, Henry is serving his Queen and his country and doing his family proud. He is also partaking in engagements when his full time job allows. When he chooses to leave the forces and become a full time royal then all the fan girls will be shouting from the rooftops. Until then let him actually do something he clearly enjoys.

As to your other, rather ridiculous example, I am one of those people who would say Why shouldn't the Queen retire (if she wanted to)? Why should Catherine be forced to have children if she didn't want them? ( Obviously she does so the question is mute) As for Wallis, well what was the point in even mentioning her?

Your questions have little relevance as to why Prince Henry should give up something he enjoys doing to magically accumalate 794 new patronages so he can live up to the standards of his 92 year old husband to The Queen grandfather?
Noone said he should accumulate hundreds of patronages. But as you rightly point out, Harry (or Henry as you insist on calling him) is doing his stint in the army largely out of tradition or to serve the Queen, but similarly I think he could do the same by taking on more royal duties, rather than taking a job in the army someone else can do.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
But as you rightly point out, Harry (or Henry as you insist on calling him) is doing his stint in the army largely out of tradition or to serve the Queen, but similarly I think he could do the same by taking on more royal duties, rather than taking a job in the army someone else can do.
Well that is the name his parents gave him?

Actually I never said he was doing it out of tradition or to serve The Queen so please do not twist my words. I said

"Participating in one if not all three of the royal forces has been a royal tradition for decades"

and

"Henry is serving his Queen"

Henry is more than likely serving in the forces because it is something he wants to do, enjoys it, and it keeps him away from the prying eyes of the press vultures. Have you seen the interview he did in Afghanistan? Have you read the stories about him wanting to return after his tour was cut short?

The Queen seems quite happy to let her grandson partake in something he enjoys, whilst he is not needed.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I disagree with you on this royal-blue. Harry is in the army because it is what he has always wanted to do. Not all the Royals do military because of tradition - in fact most of them don't.

Prince Philip - career naval officer and would have stayed in except for the death of the King
Prince Charles - naval career and came out because the Queen wanted his support for her silver jubilee. Worse thing she ever did to him, IMO.
Prince Andrew - career naval officer, came out to try and save his marriage
Prince Edward - tried it, didn't like it , came out - sensible decision.
Prince Edward, Duke of Kent - career army officer, over 25 years
Prince Michael of Kent, career army officer

Everyone needs a sense of purpose and belonging and William and Harry are no different. They get that from being in the military; they work along side "ordinary" people and take risks as well. This can only make them more rounded and more experienced when they finally take up full time royal duties.

Can I also say that 600 patronages (for example() does not equate to 600 engagements pa. There are royal patronages that received a visit from HMQ and DoE every 10-15 years.

The younger generation - I mean PoW,Camilla, William, Catherine and Harry do it differently. They make linkages between the needy and those people/organisations with funds; they link together charities that need similar resources. The general idea is to take on fewer; know them in depth over a shorter period of time; make them sufficient and move on. So forget 600 patronages. I think its going to be, for example, 20 over 3 years - then another 20 etc etc.

Makes the limited resources of both money and royalty go further,

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Aristocracy

Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Videos:
Brave child to tell Prince Harry two jokes at awards-
Brave child to tell Prince Harry two jokes at awards - ITV News

Child's chef hopes after months of being unable to eat-
Child's chef hopes after months of being unable to eat - ITV News

I hope Johnathan He will become a chef someday. He's so full of life and a very funny little fellow.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 47m
#royal Prince #Harry arrives at WellChild Awards pic.twitter.com/N5VPUhMq84

Prince Harry and celebrities arrive for bravery awards:
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...ravery-awards/

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Aww my heart just melted. Jonathan really is the sweetest.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Royal Highness

Oh he is beyond adorable!! I can easily imagine Harry and Jonathan really having a great time together. Such a little character and charmer.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Video:
HARRY AT RUGBY TRAINING FOR SCHOOL CHILDREN-
Home - ITNSource News

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

A gallery of pictures. Harry looks great and a great attitude with the kids
Gallery: Prince Harry joins Jason Robinson in playing rugby against kids | Metro UK
Old 11-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Majesty

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor 5h
Prince Harry, Vice Patron Rugby Football Union, will attend the England v Australia Autumn International Rugby Match at Twickenham tomorrow,

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure if this belongs here - but its Harry's turn to get into trouble re conservation vs hunting

Crackshot Harry, the buffalo killer: Picture emerges after prince's call to protect wildlife | Mail Online

Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not sure if this belongs here - but its Harry's turn to get into trouble re conservation vs hunting

Crackshot Harry, the buffalo killer: Picture emerges after prince's call to protect wildlife | Mail Online
And that picture is 10 years old. Fortunately there are no pictures of some events in MY 20th year.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I think all this hunting stuff is media payback for the Princes anti-press comments

Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Hunting Buffalo on a FARM. Give me a break.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I think all this hunting stuff is media payback for the Princes anti-press comments
I think that too. And William and Harry should have learnt how this works by now. They have only themselves to blame.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
I think that too. And William and Harry should have learnt how this works by now. They have only themselves to blame.
Or we could just blame the people who behave in an unacceptable manner.. aka the press.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Fair or not fair, if you know your words (and actions) towards someone have no other consequence than just turning that person against you, I consider it smart to avoid saying those words (or doing those actions)
Old 02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Or we could just blame the people who behave in an unacceptable manner.. aka the press.
It's not the press that feeds the beast