The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe just me, but I have trouble seeing that Harry would be allowed to join the army as an enlistee as long as the country is at war.

I don't question whether or not the discipline would be good for him.

I simply think that the person who is third in line to the throne wouldn't be allowed to seek out dangers. He'd be a living target in the war-zone, both for assassination attempts and kidnappings. If he was to join the army as enlisted personell there, it would be difficult to bring body-guards in.

That being said I also think that having some structure in his life would be good, whether that happens at a university, or at Sandhurst.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Maybe just me, but I have trouble seeing that Harry would be allowed to join the army as an enlistee as long as the country is at war.
That's a good point Norwegianne. But I just remembered something. Prince Andrew went to war in the Falkland Islands when he was still third in line to the throne and was part of the active combat between Great Britain and Argentina. So, if it was okay for Andrew...then, well, Harry could be an enlisted man. I must say that I am opposed to war and wish NO ONE ever had to go!!! I truly hate it.

Donna B.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Andrew was an officer all the time he was in the Navy. As far as I know, he was never an enlisted man. He went through training at Dartmouth, the naval equivalent of Sandhurst.

If Harry goes into the Army, he'll be expected to go into combat zones like any other person. The only areas he might be kept out of are ones where he could be in danger of being kidnapped and held hostage or something; I think that possibility is what stopped the Duke of Kent from being able to spend much time (if any) in Northern Ireland as a professional soldier and led to him leaving the Army before he would have otherwise done.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Commoner

Hi Elspeth:)

Yes, Prince Andrew was an officer in the Navy during the Falkland Islands war. Even though his rank was higher than that of an enlisted man, he still served in the war and took part in active combat on the front lines. Prince Andrew flew combat helicopters during the Falkland war and was most definitely in harms way.

I still think that considering everything that's been happening with Harry, he should not have the privilege of going straight to Officer's Training. Starting out as a regular enlisted man would do him a world of good imo.

Donna B.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna B.
I still think that considering everything that's been happening with Harry, he should not have the privilege of going straight to Officer's Training. Starting out as a regular enlisted man would do him a world of good imo.

Donna B.
I totally agree with you. Maybe Harry would mature a little.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

Oh Elspeth, haven't they (the royal family) learned by now? When they impose a blackout and the media is left to conjecture, the problems multiply, not dissipate. From the emotions just on this forum and the poll results from the British people, this is one which should be taken on head on and addressed by Prince Charles in a suitable manner. THAT would definitely help, in my opinion--if he repudiates the behavior and judgement of Harry in this incident and makes clear his actions do not reflect the feelings of the Royal Family--in fact, they are mortified and deeply apologetic for the offence it has caused. I do believe Harry loves his father and seeing him having to apologize for his behavior MIGHT cause him to think twice before engaging in this type of thing ever again. Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I don't think he has. In time-honoured tradition, it's being left to spokesmen to make statements. The last thing I heard (also from a Clarence House spokesman) was that a news blackout was being imposed as far as Harry's activities are concerned. Strikes me as a pretty stupid move; the media will take it as a challenge, and when there's a vacuum it'll be repalced by something, whether it's true or not.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Royal Highness

I read in an article that PCharles made Harry work on the farm (and thatincluded messing with the pig waste). ALso charles wants him to go to auschwitz
Old 01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
I read in an article that PCharles made Harry work on the farm (and thatincluded messing with the pig waste). ALso charles wants him to go to auschwitz
I don't see what working on a farm is going to achieve. What, pat a few animals, shovel a bit of manure, and everyone’s forgotten about what he did? No, I don’t think so. I agree with Charles and with many Holocaust survivors; he should spend time at Auschwitz and see what the regime's symbol he wore on his arm, did. All I can say is that I'm really glad that William is in line to the throne before Harry, and that I hope we won't have to hear about any more idiotic 'jokes' from him again.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oh Elspeth, haven't they (the royal family) learned by now? When they impose a blackout and the media is left to conjecture, the problems multiply, not dissipate.
Really, somebody's giving them some very bad advice over this. I'm not sure where the news blackout directive came from, but whoever did it has made a very bad mistake, I think.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
I hope one of those pigs will give him a swift kick in the shin. Means he will stay out of the Army longer. Do you honestly believe any rank & file soldier will have any respect for an Officer Henry Wales?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

None whatsoever.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Nobility

I have never thought that when Harry wore the Nazi uniform the issue was whether he was racist or not. I think the question is whether he fully grasps the responsibility of his position and I think that at this point in time the answer is no. At a recent Halloween party two of my friends came dressed as Nazis and no one batted an eyelid, the reason being that all of the partgoers knew them and knew that, of course, they didn't agree with genoicide etc it was merley a party and they wore the costumes in a mocking fashion as I am sure Harry did. But the point is that he is a Prince so he should have steered clear of anything that was controversial which really included not going to any function dubbed "Natives and Colonials" as William also should have, in the first place. The main problem in the Royal Family is all round arrogance. I read the other day that Zara Philips has called her horse Tsunami II even though Princess Anne's advisors strongly warned against it. They ought to remember that they don't have an automatic right to a lifestyle funded by the taxpayer. Although they are not elected they should not think that they are indispensable. The Royal Family exist through the goodwill of the people and they take advantage of that goodwill at their peril.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

True, they are far too arrogent. But that is practically the tradition for them, and traditions are hard to get rid of.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Nobility

I agree googlofcrazypeople. The problem for them nowadays is that we live in the modern age. In the past they could get away with inappropriate behaviour as their position was never questioned but now people are more sophisticated and educated and whereas many, including myself, still agree with the concept of monarchy it HAS to be monarchy which is on a par with the attitudes of the people. If it isn't then they are doomed because their "subjects" can very easily dispense with them.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness

LOL. It is gaggleofcrazypeople. At 1st I thought you were callling googlers crazy. Lol.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Sorry for the mis-spelling but I agree with you anyway.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thats ok. But thank you for agreeing with me.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
I have never thought that when Harry wore the Nazi uniform the issue was whether he was racist or not. I think the question is whether he fully grasps the responsibility of his position and I think that at this point in time the answer is no. At a recent Halloween party two of my friends came dressed as Nazis and no one batted an eyelid, the reason being that all of the partgoers knew them and knew that, of course, they didn't agree with genoicide etc it was merley a party and they wore the costumes in a mocking fashion as I am sure Harry did.
I think it's shameful that anybody would go to a party dressed as a Nazi. It doesn't matter if everyone else at the party knows you or knows what kind of a person you supposedly are. To show up at a party - a fun and frivolous occasion - dressed as a Nazi is inconsiderate and insolent when you consider the millions of lives lost and affected by the Nazi regime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
They ought to remember that they don't have an automatic right to a lifestyle funded by the taxpayer. Although they are not elected they should not think that they are indispensable. The Royal Family exist through the goodwill of the people and they take advantage of that goodwill at their peril.
On this I agree with you. The younger generation of royals don't seem to want to work as hard as their parents and grandparents did to preserve and maintain the integrity of the monarchy. Harry wearing the Nazi costume to a party and Zara naming her horse Tsunami II are just two examples of the younger generation of the Windsors not fully aware of their role and responsibility.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

All of that money towards their education has gone to waste.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Princss Anne said in the eighties with regards to Royal engagements, " I don't think the next generation will want to be involved at all ". I remember reading that at the time and thinking it an odd thing for her to say as we all took it for granted that William, Harry etc would automatically step into their parents footsteps when they came of age. But she seems to have been very perceptive in hindsight. The Royal youngsters seem to have a belief that they can just "do their own thing" but they really can't if the Monarchy is to survive. It's not only to do with involvement in Royal affairs but also in their behaviour and that of the company they keep. Only yesterday I read that William and Harry were in a nightclub in Klosters where there friend Guy Pelly, who is known for his drug taking and impersonations their grandmother ( which they seem to find a hoot) stripped down to his underwear. This boy is constantly with them and he seems to be a complete idiot. If this is the company they keep then it dosn't say much for them but all in all they don't seem to care.

Closed Thread

Tags
afrika korps uniform, costume party, prince harry