The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Sandhurst has said that he is still welcome because the offense did not occur while he was there. That's the only opinion that really matters with regards to Sandhurst.

William attended the party dressed as an animal, perhaps with a big-game hunting thing in mind. To automatically assume he attended dressed as a "native" is tarring him with the same brush.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

From THE TIMES today:

January 14, 2005

Why a Nazi Prince stood out at the Colonials and Natives party
By Andrew Pierce

Prince Harry assumed he was safe among friends from the hunting, shooting and fishing set

THE invitation to the Colonials and Natives party at the Olympian Richard Meade’s equestrian centre dropped on the doormat of Highgrove before Christmas.

Where other young people may have expressed surprise at the theme, it would have barely caused a raised eyebrow for Prince William and Prince Harry, whose father has long been friends with Mr Meade.

Some of the party guests had taken part in the protest inside last year’s Labour conference against a ban on foxhunting.

William and Harry are linchpins of a set of young people linked to the Beaufort Hunt and the Beaufort Polo Club. Mr Meade’s children James, 23, Harry, 22, and Lucy, 21, are part of the set. They went to the same public schools; they partied with the Princes in village pubs around the Highgrove estate.

Last week the two young Princes and their friend Guy Pelly, 22, set off for Nailsworth, a few miles from Highgrove to choose fancy-dress outfits. They went to Cotswold Costumes, which proudly boasts more than 2,000, ranging in price from £15 to £20. William settled on a black leotard with a leopard-skin tail, leopard-skin paws and a leopard-skin pattern sewn into the coat.

Mr Pelly decided to dress as the Queen and chose a powder-blue dress, grey wig, long white gloves and a crown.

Harry went for the uniform of a Nazi officer complete with jacket and red swastika armband. The uniform cost £25 to hire with a £20 deposit to be repaid on its return.

Neither William nor Mr Pelly, the son of a Kent landowner, tried to dissuade Harry from his choice of “fancy” dress.

The Prince of Wales, who has engaged in only light official duties since the Christmas break, was at Birkhall, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother’s home on the Balmoral estate that he inherited on her death. Prince Charles had gone there after the Royal Family’s Christmas break at Sandringham. He interrupted his Highland stay briefly to visit charities involved in the tsunami appeal.

On Saturday evening the two young men, joined by Mr Pelly, who regularly accompanies them to England rugby matches, changed into their outfits at Highgrove while the Prince of Wales relaxed in Scotland with Camilla Parker Bowles.

No authority figure was present to remonstrate with Harry about his disastrously ill-judged choice of costume.

Only the ever-present royal protection officers were there. It is not part of their job description to issue sartorial advice to the third in line to the Throne.

If, however, any advice was proffered by the armed bodyguards, Harry ignored it and arrived with his brother and Mr Pelling at a party attended by 400 people. Many of the guests were strangers carrying mobile telephones; some had disposable cameras.

The marquee in the equestrian centre, as befits the theme, was decorated in white at one end and black the other. Mr Meade, who won three Olympic golds for three-day eventing, spotted Harry’s costume when he arrived but said nothing. It was a family party to mark Mr Meade’s recent 66th birthday and his son Harry’s 22nd.

Mark Tomlinson, who was at Eton with Prince Harry, was at the party. Harry stayed at the Tomlinsons’ ranch in Argentina during his gap-year trip.

Emma Wade, a photographer whose father, Captain Ian Farquhar, is Master of the Beaufort Hunt with which Prince William rides, was also present.

Mrs Wade was one of the protesters who disrupted Tony Blair’s speech in Brighton in October, as was another of the guests, James Murray Wells. Mr Murray Wells celebrated becoming a millionaire this week, having set up an internet website selling cut-price spectacles.

Harry, as usual, drank vodka and cranberry juice and chain-smoked. Mr Pelly brought the house down with a speech in which he mimicked the Queen’s voice. A pretty brunette sat on Harry’s lap. William also made a speech. They partied until 5am.

Harry did not know many of those present yet naively thought he was safe, being among friends from the hunting, shooting and fishing set.

It was only at 4pm on Wednesday that Clarence House had an inkling something was wrong. A telephone call came through from The Sun to Paddy Harverson, combative press secretary to the Prince of Wales. The newspaper told Mr Harverson that it had photographs of Harry in Nazi uniform, a red swastika on show. Mr Harverson immediately telephoned Harry and alerted the Prince of Wales in Scotland.

Harry swiftly admitted that he had made a mistake and said that Clarence House could issue a statement on his behalf expressing his regret. Yet he apologised “if I have caused any offence” — when clearly he had.

Mr Harverson, confident that the story would blow over, went to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea play his former employers, Manchester United, in the Carling Cup. It was a satisfactory result for Manchester United, who left London with a draw.

But the party affair did not end with the result that Mr Harverson wanted or expected, as leading figures across the globe joined in the criticism of the young Prince.

Yesterday morning Clarence House was battening down the hatches.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Courtier

It's has been said a lot about Harry, but what about William who was not only with his brother in the same party but was with him while bying that outfit. I think both of them should think better before acting.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Read an article that says he takes part of the blame because he was present when Harry picked the costume. http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html
Old 01-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
William must be a bit more watchful and responsible for his brother. HE has to train for the future as teh monarch.

I think Harry needs to learn to grow up, and take some resonsibilities for his actions. William shouldn't have to watch him. Harry is a grown man. He wants to be treated like an adult then he needs to start acting like one.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
I think Harry needs to learn to grow up, and take some resonsibilities for his actions. William shouldn't have to watch him. Harry is a grown man. He wants to be treated like an adult then he needs to start acting like one.
I agree. Harry is a grown man. He's made his bed; he himself must lie in it. If QEII was not to blame for P. Margaret's own indiscretions and gaffes, then William should not be to blame for Harry's screw-ups. Harry is just an incredible sick joke. I hope this incident, and backlash that followed, was a wake-up call for him to start acting like a responsible human being.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I can only say the same as you do sommone.
In my eyes Harry is not a grown-up but a spoilde child. Harry has to learn by his mistakes and particularly for this one he has to learn it the hard way. Maby he will be better in his act and in his behaviour towards other people and religions.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Courtier

We can't excuse William for what he didn't do as he realized he is to blame. Wills has been taught to lead, if he is not able to show his brother the right thing to do, how he can do to strangers?
Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
We can't excuse William for what he didn't do as he realized he is to blame. Wills has been taught to lead, if he is not able to show his brother the right thing to do, how he can do to strangers?

I'm confused...How is William to blame? Am I the only one who believes if you are over the age of 18, you should act like an adult? I didn't realize William had been appointed Harry's watcher. William has enough worries of his own without having to babysit his 20 year old brother who is not a child anymore.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

I am saying that since William was right there with him when he picked and wore that outfit he should have made him do away with it. William has taken part of the blame whihc lets me know that he should have been more rsponsible in alerting hs brother of the consequences. This is different if William was not there, but he was and he should have spoken up.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I am saying that since William was right there with him when he picked and wore that outfit he should have made him do away with it. William has taken part of the blame whihc lets me know that he should have been more rsponsible in alerting hs brother of the consequences. This is different if William was not there, but he was and he should have spoken up.
Do you really think that Harry woud have listen to his bigbrother ?? I don´t think so...I think that Harry do what he want´s to do and when he want´s to do it.
He is sutch a spoilede childe in my eyes. He has to be tougth a lesson by his farther and his grandmother and it has to be now.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I wasn't aware that William was there when Harry chose the costume. So, William could have said something, but didn't, and he feels bad about it. Ok...who am I to take away from what William is feeling, but I can not ignore the fact that Harry is grown...I think he should have known better, but that is just my opinion.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Friday January 14, 07:34
Harry to go to Auschwitz in repentance for his Nazi joke
(by Mark Riley)
Prince Harry provoked a disgusted reaction from the world’s press as he made his appearance at a party wearing a Nazi costume. Germany’s top selling newspaper, Bild, carried a headline today: "Nazi Harry, What Would Diana Have Said?"
The article was even harsher, as the reporters commented: "You are 20 but mentally you are no older than 12. Even the most stupid English person knows what happened with the sign of the Swastika."

Claudia Lord, working for Bild and Bild am Sontagg, wrote: "It has been a very big story in Germany and will continue to be so over the coming days. The general feeling is disgust. It is a criminal offence to wear the swastika in public in Germany. It can get you a prison sentence of up to three years.”

"We were taught never to make jokes about the Nazis. There’s no such thing in Germany as a funny Hitler. If you make a joke about him you are looked at as if you were mad. It is a part of history that just isn’t funny”, she added.

The Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot was primarily concerned with the attitude in the British society to the incident.

It said: "Prince Harry’s foolish deed, no matter how repulsive, abhorrent and infuriating, is not the root of the problem. The root of the problem, or indeed the whole problem, is the fact that in a public opinion poll more than half the respondents believed no fuss should be made of the story."

Prince Charles, Harry’s father is known to have ordered a trip to the death camp at Auschwitz in Poland for the two brothers as the older one, 22-year-old Prince William reportedly accompanied Harry to the notorious party and even assisted in picking the costume.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'm confused...How is William to blame? Am I the only one who believes if you are over the age of 18, you should act like an adult? I didn't realize William had been appointed Harry's watcher. William has enough worries of his own without having to babysit his 20 year old brother who is not a child anymore.
I agree 100%! Prince William is busy attending university in Scotland and preparing for his future role as King. He is not responsible for making sure his younger brother stays out of the tabloids. There are several full-time staff (advisors, aids, bodyguards, ect.), not to mention Prince Charles, who should be ensuring scandals like this don't occur. That said, the bottom line is that Prince Harry is responsible for his own actions. Millions of young adults around the world that are the same age as Prince Harry are attending university, college, or working. While all Prince Harry seems to do is go clubbing and take vacations. If Prince Harry wanted to take a year of both going to military college to travel or volunteer then thats fine. But it's been over two year and he keeps delaying it. If I were Prince Charles I would be putting him to work volutunteering, helping out with royal duties, anything to keep him busy.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I wasn't aware that William was there when Harry chose the costume. So, William could have said something, but didn't, and he feels bad about it. Ok...who am I to take away from what William is feeling, but I can not ignore the fact that Harry is grown...I think he should have known better, but that is just my opinion.
Yes Harry is responsible for his own actions, but clearly he needed guidance on this issue. Since William was right there and helped him pick out the outfit for (pete's sake!) he has shown that he has not been responsible and just as stupid and immature as HArry was. I wish William would take his future role more seriously. Gohs Charles and the late Diana were just too darn modern with these boys and it did not help that there was not a strong family structure. These is in idrect contrast to the Luxembourg boys.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Friday January 14, 07:34
Harry to go to Auschwitz in repentance for his Nazi joke
(by Mark Riley)
Prince Harry provoked a disgusted reaction from the world’s press as he made his appearance at a party wearing a Nazi costume. Germany’s top selling newspaper, Bild, carried a headline today: "Nazi Harry, What Would Diana Have Said?"
The article was even harsher, as the reporters commented: "You are 20 but mentally you are no older than 12. Even the most stupid English person knows what happened with the sign of the Swastika."

Claudia Lord, working for Bild and Bild am Sontagg, wrote: "It has been a very big story in Germany and will continue to be so over the coming days. The general feeling is disgust. It is a criminal offence to wear the swastika in public in Germany. It can get you a prison sentence of up to three years.”

"We were taught never to make jokes about the Nazis. There’s no such thing in Germany as a funny Hitler. If you make a joke about him you are looked at as if you were mad. It is a part of history that just isn’t funny”, she added.

The Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot was primarily concerned with the attitude in the British society to the incident.

It said: "Prince Harry’s foolish deed, no matter how repulsive, abhorrent and infuriating, is not the root of the problem. The root of the problem, or indeed the whole problem, is the fact that in a public opinion poll more than half the respondents believed no fuss should be made of the story."

Prince Charles, Harry’s father is known to have ordered a trip to the death camp at Auschwitz in Poland for the two brothers as the older one, 22-year-old Prince William reportedly accompanied Harry to the notorious party and even assisted in picking the costume.

Reina, where did this article come from...Just curious. If William was there, and he helped Harry to pick out this costume then you are right, he is just to blame for this fiasco. They both should have known better. Ultimately, Harry made the final decision to wear the costume. I'm ashamed that William would encourage him to wear it though.
Given that the situation is over and done with, I hope both of them have learned some valuable lessons from this. That is the most important thing.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Here is the link http://www.financegates.com/news/wor..._14012005.html
But I think that they did not mean any harm, but were just ignorant, stupid, and foolish. Indeed they do need to learn some valuable lessons.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbette
Is this a reflection on the British upper class school system?
Of course not.

Harry is simply a fool that needs to punished for his unforgiveable behavior.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually heard that he won't be let in now. But I doubt that is true.
But I also heard that Charles was making Harry go to Auschwitz, but apparently that is not true.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Even if William was with Harry when Harry picked out the outfit, Harry still is the one at fault. Harry doesn't listen to anyone but Charles, who wasn't around. Perhaps William should have said something, but don't make the mistake of automatically assuming that Harry would have taken the advice and not worn it, because he probably would have told his brother to shove off and done whatever he wanted anyways.

The Ministry of Defense said that Harry would still be allowed a place at Sandhurst. They haven't said anything to contradict that statement since then.

Tags
afrika korps uniform, costume party, prince harry