Prince Harry: Visit to New Zealand - May 9-16, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Prince Harry will pay an official visit to New Zealand between
May 9-16, 2015.

He will visit Wellington, Stewart Island, Christchurch, Whanganui and Auckland.

Press Release

:britflag::nzflag::britflag::nzflag:

Preliminary Itinerary:

Wellington (May 9)
Prince Harry will be greeted by the Governor General at Government House for an Official Welcome. He will visit the National War Memorial and ANZAC Square in Pukeahu National War Memorial Park. He will also attend the Hurricanes vs Sharks Super 15 Rugby Game at the Westpac Stadium.

Stewart Island (May 10-11)
Prince Harry will meet the local community and travel to Ulva Island, a Department of Conservation open island sanctuary.

Christchurch (May 12)
Prince Harry will visit the Quake City Exhibition and Re:Start Mall and will meet student volunteers at The University of Canterbury.

Linton Military Camp (May 13)
Prince Harry will undertake a number of military activities with the Army, including learning the Army's own Haka.

Whanganui (May 14)
Prince Harry will visit Putiki Marae and join the crew of the Marae's waka for a trip on the river. He will also visit the war Memorial Centre to meet veterans.

Auckland (May 15-16)
On May 15, Prince Harry will visit Middlemore Hospital’s Spinal Rehabilitation Unit, which is supported by the New Zealand Rugby Foundation. He will hold a reception with emergency services at Government House.

On May 16, Prince Harry will attend a FIFA U20 World Cup at the Cloud and before heading to the Millennium Institute of Sport.

I'm glad to see that Harry will be undertaking a whole range of engagements in this mini-tour and meeting as many people as possible. I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

maybe my cousin will stop an see one or two of his cousins there on his off time, here's a little trivia for all that are interested, Croydon in NZ was named by a cousin to William an Harry, Nathanael Chalmers, who was the son of William an Harry's uncle William Chalmers HEICS, who emigrated from Scotland in 1830 to Croydon Surrey UK, an Croydon in Australia, was named by William Chalmers Brown who's land gold was found to start the 1880 gold rush there there, who's mother was the daughter of Dr William Chalmers, an who's fathers was the nephew of Dr William Chalmers

Prince Harry arrived in Wellington around 2hrs ago:

Governor-General NZ @GovGeneralNZ · 2h 2 hours ago
#PrinceHarry disembarks the front stairs and is welcomed to #Wellington #RoyalVisitNZ

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal · 57m 57 minutes ago
Prince Harry is officially welcomed to #NewZealand by @johnkeypm and @GovGeneralNZ at Government House #RoyalVisitNZ

Kensington Palace @KensingtonRoyal · 44m 44 minutes ago
A pōwhiri for Prince Harry #RoyalTourNZ

Prince Harry in New Zealand - Day 1 (Getty Images Gallery)

Last edited:
Thanks, JessRulz. :flowers:

Perhaps a New Zealand member can tell us about the details in the Maori display?

I love some of the signs among the welcoming crowd, saying things like 'fried rice at our place tonight' and 'don't worry Harry, we won't kiss you'! Harry smile in the above image too is just lovely. I hope our Kiwi friends will post.

He's such a charmer! l've always wondered if he ever watched old video of his mom and the crowds.

Didn't realize this was his first trip to New Zealand. Hope that he has time to enjoy its natural beauty.

Harry in New Zealand, Day Two - Getty Images Gallery

'Down to earth' Prince Harry meets the locals in Stewart Island - shucks oysters, talks Kiwis and rugby | Stuff.co.nz
Live blog: Prince Harry visits Stewart Island - National News | TVNZ
Prince Harry finds New Zealand's Stewart Island is his oyster | UK news | The Guardian

At the community centre on Stewart Island, Harry learnt to shuck oysters. He then hiked on Ulva Island, a predator-free conservation park. Tonight he's attended a 'Sunday night pub quiz' at what I'm assuming is Stewart Island's local pub.

The Kensington Palace twitter account has posted a photo taken by Prince Harry of this morning's sunrise on Stewart Island New Zealand.

(There's also a cute photo of the crown-making lesson at the little island school posted.)

There's a really nice interview on YouTube, in which the female reporter who shucked that oyster so awkwardly interviews Harry about life, love and the Army. He's quite open about why he left and about getting a balance in his life. I love the question and answer session at the school as well.

In his most personal interview in recent years, the Prince said it would be great to have someone to "share the pressure" with.

But, speaking outside his hilltop bungalow on the remote Stewart Island off New Zealand, he admitted it could not be forced and that the "time will come".

He also spoke of his desire to earn a "wage" and to "work with normal people", even though he has not yet decided what he wants to do after he leaves the Armed Forces later this summer.

He said: "There come times when you think now is the time to settle down, or now is not, whatever way it is, but I don't think you can force these things it will happen when it's going to happen.
Watch: Harry Wants Someone To 'Share Pressure' With

I like this quote
"This part of the role (royal duties) is fantastic but I and William, both of us feel as though we need to have a wage as well to work within normal people, to keep us sane, to keep us ticking along and also surely in the future from our point of view, if we want to make a big contribution, or a valid contribution and be taken seriously, then we need to work alongside other people."

Last edited:
Very nice interview with Harry. He opens up and let people know how he feels, and I guess that's just one of the reasons why people take to Harry so well. He's real!

I get his feelings. I've Always wanted a family but never found the person to have that family with. Now at 40 I'm at a crossroad.. I have to choose between having that family alone or to not have a family at all. And all that for someone who can't even choose a paintcolor for the walls. :ermm:

Very nice interview with Harry. He opens up and let people know how he feels, and I guess that's just one of the reasons why people take to Harry so well. He's real!

Worth noting: He is at the point that careers in the Army platteau and most of those he started with have already left the military, which I interpret as this is a very normal choice.

He did not want to take opportunities away from someone else in the military, had he stayed.
On the army, he loved the boys and toys element.
He would not say what was on the short list for what is next
Both he and William have chosen to earn a wage for now - it makes them happy and gives them better judgement
He pointed out several times that he is like other people; everyone makes life choices.

It was a good interview, and it's clear that Harry is quite relaxed now about finding the right girl. It's great to get his own perspective on his life now and some of the reasons why he decided to leave the army.

I'm glad he's getting good crowds in New Zealand. Harry's a genuine and modest individual, and I do think people respond to that.

There are some short youtubes of Prince Harry performing the Haka now online.

He's a good sport to have given it a go.

As enjoyable as these pictures are, I can see why life is so difficult for a Number 2, touring the world like a zoo animal without substance, even worse in a miliary uniform, I feel sorry for Harry that he can't be or do what he would be really good at, a soldier like all the other normal guys. He'll never be a normal guy, yet he doesnt have a purpose.

He did a good job with the Haka.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom