Prince Harry: Visit to Estonia and Italy - May 16-19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marika86

Heir Apparant, Royal Blogger
City
Villa San Giovanni
Country
Italy
Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 42s
Prince Harry arrives in Estonia tomorrow.

Pictures:
HRH Prince Harry at Wreath Laying Ceremony in Estonia-
FOTOD ja VIDEOD: Vaata prints Harry saabumist ja pärjaasetamist Vabaduse väljakul! - Publik

"@ukinestonia: Prince Harry laid a wreath in Freedom Square to remember those who fought for peace & freedom pic.twitter.com/Pgdt6k5lsH"
#HRHEstonia RT @visitestonia: His Royal Highness Prince Harry greeting locals at Freedom Square in #Tallinn today pic.twitter.com/ret4zzaIhc
#HRHEstonia RT @visitestonia: Prince Harry laying a wreath to the monument of Freedom #Tallinn today pic.twitter.com/rWTf9bz9hh
#HRHEstonia RT @ChrisJack_Getty: Prince Harry takes a selfie with an Estonian woman during a walkabout #gettyimages pic.twitter.com/wsiJKuQqxk

Last edited:
Prince Harry's visit to Estonia and Italy, from 16th-19th May 2014

I wonder why Harry always seems to bust out a uniform when he is on tour. Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember William putting on a uniform other than a Flight Suit for the waterbirding in PEI while on tour.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 32m
Tomorrow (Sat) Prince Harry will meet the President of Estonia while visiting the Estonian Forces at their military exercise Kevadtorm

He's a real prince of hearts! Beaming Harry proves a hit with the locals at start of his tour of Estonia... and he flew there on £143 easyJet flight-
Prince Harry proves a hit with the locals on Estonian tour | Mail Online

his speech
"I have been keen to come for some time - to visit the country which is home to the many excellent soldiers I served alongside in Afghanistan, not to mention Tallinn’s captivating old town and Narva’s Hermann Castle. I only wish I had the chance to stay longer.

I and many other British soldiers have been privileged to work alongside your troops in Afghanistan.

Your armed forces have built a formidable reputation through their professionalism and bravery in the most testing conditions. You get the job done with minimal fuss and I love that. As a nation, we are extremely grateful for your support and for the sacrifice Estonia has made alongside us in recent operations. It is something which we will never forget.

Our countries are firm friends but this friendship continues to grow even stronger, through our shared experiences and goals.

One important example of our bond is the care for our wounded service men and women; they have fought together and recover together, side by side.

This evening we are joined by some of your veterans who, I hope, will have the opportunity to take part in the Invictus Games which will be held at the Olympic Park in London this September.

I am also looking forward to meeting more of your servicemen and women in the field on exercise tomorrow.

Thank you again for the tremendous kindness and support you have shown the United Kingdom for many years. We are very fortunate to call you our friends.

I only hope I will have the chance to visit again soon. Perhaps unofficially next time."

I wonder why Harry always seems to bust out a uniform when he is on tour. Not that I'm complaining. I don't remember William putting on a uniform other than a Flight Suit for the waterbirding in PEI while on tour.

Well, what should he wear else? This occasion is about the military and the servicemen/-women who fought alongside Britain, plus the Prince lay a wreath during a military ceremony at the monument of freedom in Tallin!

I was wondering about something else. I thought white galauniforms are only worn in southern countries while Estonia is pretty much up north...?!
I wouldn´t be surprised about a white uniform in Italy later.

Somebody knows why?

Here looking just like his father-
Prince Harry was in his element today in the Estonian sunshine meeting troops at a 'Spring Storm' military exercise pic.twitter.com/ZSOZivduCe
Prince Harry today met British & Estonian troops - thanking them for their support in Afghanistan #HRHEstonia pic.twitter.com/OP71NysNfJ
Prince Harry in fatigues as he visits Estonian Forces during their military exercise #Kevadtorm #HRHEstonia pic.twitter.com/g6Jb55qDmE
Pictures and Video:
Prince Harry of Wales visited on Saturday afternoon before the big lessons from the Defence Spring Storm, where he met with both of the Defence Forces, the Chief of Defence Terras when President Toomas Hendrik Ilves-

Prince Harry's visit to Estonia and Italy, from 16th-19th May 2014

He could of wore a suit. His brother and Kate honored the sacrifice of the military of NZ and Australia who also fought with the British on their tour including on Anzac Day. They also left wreaths at a British war cemetery in Singapore and Canada's war memorial in Ottawa. He wore suits.

Charles has wore uniforms on tours when he has a tie to people he is meeting such as RNZAF where he holds a honorary position. However, both William and Harry have no outside the UK military position. It just caught my eye that Harry has wore a uniform on every foreign tour but his brother who can wear 2 more branches of service than his brother has not wore a uniform on tour other than to fly a Sea King.

He could of wore a suit. His brother and Kate honored the sacrifice of the military of NZ and Australia who also fought with the British on their tour including on Anzac Day. They also left wreaths at a British war cemetery in Singapore and Canada's war memorial in Ottawa. He wore suits.

I guess it´s because there were no other engagements than this military event for Harry. When William and Cath. were in NZ/ Australia and lay wreaths, they had other businesses to do that very day which had nothing to do with military ceremonial and where a uniform perhaps might have been unappropriate.

Last edited:
Being cynical it could be because Harry and his staff know it looks good on him and reminds people he is serving for his country. Anyway substance over style...

Harry looks very dapper in the white military uniform I must say.:D

Being cynical it could be because Harry and his staff know it looks good on him and reminds people he is serving for his country. Anyway substance over style...

I´m sure the reason is protocol. If it was appropriate for him to wear just a suit he had worn it.

Also Harry IS still in the military and William is not ..........

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner.:wave:

OF COURSE, Prince Harry would wear a military uniform when meeting with the military of other countries because Harry is still a soldier. It would be inappropriate for him to wear a suit and tie when surrounded by soldiers who served with him on the battlefield.:rolleyes:

And he does look good, doesn't he?;)

William was still in the RAF for the Canadian and SE Asian tour.

William was still in the RAF for the Canadian and SE Asian tour.

But he didnt attend any events in his military capacity (honorary or actual).

Harry is attending military events with the exception of the event in Rome.

I think that there are nunances about what they wear and when. All I know is if they are serving/have honorary rank for the service in question, and it is a military event then they wear uniform.

Need an expert!

OK checked with my personal expert (20 odd years in the army) and I'm right in what I said in post #20.

Also tropical dress is about the climate, not where you are and if hot weather is anticipated as in Estonia, then tropical dress would be worn.

Finally, you will have noticed that Harry is not wearing the pale blue beret but a cap. This is because he has left his secondment to the Airborne, but he is still can wear his wings. The insignia on his sleeve is an eagle and represents the eagle that his regiment took from the French at the Battle of Waterloo.

Phew!

Harry is wearing the summer dress uniform of the Household Cavalry.

White for summer.
Cavalry because of his webbing. With the cartridge pouch on the back.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....407_739874852701014_2054094358844194209_o.jpg
There are four Estonian officers in this picture and an adjutant, blue beret, which I presume is from the RAF Regiment.
It's normal for navy officers to change to a white uniform during summers/hot weather but not in the other two branches. Why Harry is wearing a summer uniform and the adjutant don't I have no idea. British dress uniforms is science on it's own!
I assume there are distinct unform rules for guards regiments and presumably in particular for BRF members.

Anyway, won't go in to depth about this, It's late and bedtime here.

In the comments (in the DM) under the article about Harry's visit someone asked about the bracelets Harry always wore and someone else said they thought he had been wearing them since Eton. They got me curious - anyone know what the bracelets are that he always wears? Here's two pictures of them.

article-2630605-1711B374000005DC-925_634x441.jpg

4700018624_11822d1143_z.jpg

He got them on a trip to Africa.

I´m sure the reason is protocol. If it was appropriate for him to wear just a suit he had worn it.
I think it is important to remember that Harry is visiting as an emissary of HM the Queen and her Government. He does not trot about at his own whim and he certainly does not wear his uniform for either substance or style. He wears it because that's the dress of the day as dictated by the reason for the invitation and the UK government's reciprocation, sending a Prince who is also a serving officer.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 10h
Prince Harry has arrived in Rome to begin engagements tomorrow

I did a little digging in regards to Harry's uniform.

Again based on this picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....407_739874852701014_2054094358844194209_o.jpg

Harry is wearing the no. 3 dress uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry.

The guards regiments have a no. 1 dress uniform, which is the standard dress uniform. (Full dress with sabre and medals). And to supplement that they also have a no. 3 dress uniform, which is the summer/warm weather variant - and that's what Harry is wearing here.
All other British regiments (i.e. non guards regiments) only have a no. 2 dress uniform. And that's what you see the Royal Air Force adjutant, (as well as the Estonian officers) wearing.
If officers in non-guards regiments wish to wear a no 1 dress uniform, they have to pay for it themselves and in any way that will only be required rarely. But officers in the guards regiments, with the additional official functions they have, must have a no. 1 dress uniform. (With a no. 3 dress version as well).

If Harry is going to Estonia to honor those who have fought and fallen alongside British troops as the primary function, then it's most natural for him to wear the clothes most appropriate for that particular event. I.e. a uniform.
If Harry was there for a primarily civillian function, like an official visit or a diplomatic mission, then it would be more natural for him to wear civillian clothes. - But there is actually nothing to hinder him from wearing a uniform all the time, because he is entitled to. Even to the cinema, if he wished to. (That would be his no 2 dress uniform BTW).

Last edited:
Thank you, Muhler and Royal Daisy, for these interesting background informations!

Last edited:
Prince Harry stood shoulder to shoulder with Polish veterans as he commemorated their bravery and sacrifice capturing Monte Cassino in one of the Second World War's bloodiest battles.
It was 70 years ago on today that troops from the Polish II Corps finally took the ruined Benedictine monastery near Rome - a symbol of Nazi resistance to the Allies' campaign to push Hitler's forces out of Italy.
The victory had followed months of hard fighting that left an estimated 250,000 dead.

Prince Harry commemorates sacrifice of Polish soldiers who captured Monte Cassino - Telegraph

I did a little digging in regards to Harry's uniform.

Again based on this picture: https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....407_739874852701014_2054094358844194209_o.jpg

Harry is wearing the no. 3 dress uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry.

The guards regiments have a no. 1 dress uniform, which is the standard dress uniform. (Full dress with sabre and medals). And to supplement that they also have a no. 3 dress uniform, which is the summer/warm weather variant - and that's what Harry is wearing here.
All other British regiments (i.e. non guards regiments) only have a no. 2 dress uniform. And that's what you see the Royal Air Force adjutant, (as well as the Estonian officers) wearing.
If officers in non-guards regiments wish to wear a no 1 dress uniform, they have to pay for it themselves and in any way that will only be required rarely. But officers in the guards regiments, with the additional official functions they have, must have a no. 1 dress uniform. (With a no. 3 dress version as well).

If Harry is going to Estonia to honor those who have fought and fallen alongside British troops as the primary function, then it's most natural for him to wear the clothes most appropriate for that particular event. I.e. a uniform.
If Harry was there for a primarily civillian function, like an official visit or a diplomatic mission, then it would be more natural for him to wear civillian clothes. - But there is actually nothing to hinder him from wearing a uniform all the time, because he is entitled to. Even to the cinema, if he wished to. (That would be his no 2 dress uniform BTW).
Thanks, Muhler. He certainly can be seen in the #3. And as they say, "make sure they can see you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom