Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time. That's exactly what it seems that Harry and Meghan both are taking when it comes to this relationship. Step by step, little bit by little bit and working together maturely to find out where the road is going to lead them.

Maturity is the point here. Yes, she is a member of an ensemble. That doesn't mean that she didn't make a commitment to the show for a season. Nothing she has done gives any reason to believe she is willing to dump everything. The tig was her personal site, she owed it to no one to continue. And there us no sign reitmans was planning on another line with her.

Yes she could act like a 20 year old girl, dump her own life and run after a man. Quit her job and eat Bon bons in London in hopes of getting a ring. Or she could be the adult she is and follow through with her commitments. Adults understand simply because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

There us no rush. No engagement is likely to be announced this year either way. Time enough when done filming for her to move to London.

Or Harry can move to Toronto. I know, shocker. Suggesting a royal make sacrifices for a woman and not expecting the commoner to roll over. How novel a concept that is. One can expect a woman to give up things like charity rowing team to be available, but the royals get to live just as they were.

Harry spent this last summer in Africa. Proves at least while there is an abundance of royals, he can be abroad. Let him enjoy it while it lasts. Invictus is in Toronto. He can live with her, and do his charity.

Their living together in no way has to be in London. She isn't going to get a taste of royal life until engaged. She can't attend family or public events until then. Let them try out living together in Toronto. Then they can both work.

This archaic idea women need to drop everything for men is tiresome. 'Joyfully available'. Women like Letizia and Mary managed to work till engagement.

Well I'd have no objection to Harry spending more time abroad to spend it with Meghan or even get a semi-permanent base in Toronto or somewhere for them to share over the summer.

It's a relationship, timescales aren't necessary and who know what their plans are or what they've been discussing.

Sure. She could chuck it all to the wind and walk away from obligations and move across the pond and in with Harry and test the waters. Then again, Harry could chuck it all to the wind, renounce his place in succession and give a Bronx cheer to the BRF and move across the pond and move in with Meghan to test the waters.

That doesn't sound like the character makeup of either of these people. As I've previously stated, honoring and fulfilling their commitments show character that would make one think that should they commit to each other, they'd take it very, very seriously.

Well She is the one who's supposed to be in love with Harry. I can't see why harry would move, that aint gonna happen.. SHE could marry him.. and move to the UK. he is not going to give up his place in the RF and move to America.
If Meg is as talented and as rich as people tell me she is, taking a yaer off and seeing if she might wish to be married to H and living in the UK, would not make any great difference to her career if the relationship with H didn't work out. Surely she would still be able to go for acting work, and continue with her charity work, if she had taken some time off?
And come on would "Suits" die a horlrible death in the ratings if she left it?
and indeed if she and Harry are as much in love as people seem to feel they are, isn't it almost a certainty that if she moved in with him, she'd be moving towards engagement and marriage..

I don't think there's anything really 'archaic' about it..it is what it is. If anyone is going to marry that high up in the BRF that is the expectation. You are going to join the 'Firm' and represent the BRF.

I don't think there's any reason for her to quit her job at this point. Who even knows if she will have a job in 6 months? People get killed off/written out of scripts all the time.

If they get engaged then I would imagine she's going to pack up and move to the UK at some point before the wedding.

It would be her decision either way.

LaRae

Where are these conditions, that 'if she is as talented/rich/successful/they're so in love, she'd do this and that, and it wouldn't affect her life, she'd pick up from where she left off easily' come from? Why set such conditions on her?

Imo it seems like both Harry and Meghan are happy in this relationship and its pace. Why on earth would she quit her job, and hurry to move to UK right now, when both seem to be happy. She's a smart, mature woman, she won't drop her work commitments and break her contract. If they're still together, when her contract is over, that's when we will see her moving, IMO.

Let's fact it folks. These two people are going to handle their relationship on their own terms, on their own time and however it suits them (No pun intended there). We actually have no real clue whatsoever what is happening in their private lives and the best we can do is assume, speculate and try and put pieces of a puzzle together that is missing quite a few of its pieces.

For all we really know, they may have already secretly eloped to Vegas and got married by an Elvis impersonator and will go ahead with a public, royal wedding when the opportunity presents itself. :whistling:

When and if they marry....

When they marry, I wonder if they will buy a home in the US? I am sure she will return home as much as possible, her mother is there and her father too when he's not in Mexico.

It's realistic to buy a home too. Lets say she goes home every summer for 3 months and maybe a time or two before that. They will need a place to lay their heads and relax in private. I am sure her mother would house them but they are a married couple.

I see them buying buy a condo or a home in a gated community somewhere in California.

If Meg is as talented and as rich as people tell me she is, taking a yaer off and seeing if she might wish to be married to H and living in the UK, would not make any great difference to her career if the relationship with H didn't work out. Surely she would still be able to go for acting work, and continue with her charity work, if she had taken some time off?

I don't think it works like that. People in the entertainment industry know that it's out of sight, out of mind.
Take a break, and you might never come back, it's a very small window of opportunity.

I don't think there's anything really 'archaic' about it..it is what it is. If anyone is going to marry that high up in the BRF that is the expectation. You are going to join the 'Firm' and represent the BRF.

I don't think there's any reason for her to quit her job at this point. Who even knows if she will have a job in 6 months? People get killed off/written out of scripts all the time.

If they get engaged then I would imagine she's going to pack up and move to the UK at some point before the wedding.

It would be her decision either way.

LaRae

It's a realistic expectation when they are engaged yes.

But before they are engaged? For what purpose? She can't attend family events. She can't accompany him on tours or official duties. If he is gone for days or even weeks on tours or other events, she does what, watch tv and wait?

Yes it is archaic. The 'if she is supposed to love him she should be willing to give it all up'. If Harry was Princess Henrietta, would we say the same thing? Or if Beatrice let's say was a working royal and her future spouse had a place in the firm? Would we expect their boyfriend to quit his job, move into the palace and wait around? Would we suggest he wasn't committed because he wasn't willing yo give up his entire life in hopes of a ring? No. I highly doubt it. And one day Charlotte and her future husband will face similar questions as in a slimmed down monarchy both her and her husband will likely be needed.

It isn't the 1950s where women went to school to find a husband. And then waited at home for a ring. Modern women have careers, hobbies, dreams if their own. And there is nothing wrong with that. Why should she live in London and do nothing until she gets a ring? Because she us a woman?

People should be cheering that she continues working. It shows commitment. It shows work ethic. She won't simply be a wife and mother, she will be duchess X. She will be expected to do patronages and work. If she is willing to throw away her work and commitments to follow a man, doesn't bode great for her work ethic or commitment as a patron later.

Guys, she's been slowly untangling herself from different business commitments- her blog, her association with fashion brands. She's backed off of social media, and she's on a show with an ensemble cast going into its 7th season. It's really not a giant stretch to think that *if* the relationship is seriously headed towards marriage, a decision may be made to negotiate an earlier exit from the show than she would have planned were it not for her high-profile relationship that is incompatible with remaining as a working actress. That wouldn't say anything bad about either of their desire or ability to keep commitments- I'd actually take it as a sign of very serious commitment.

We'll see in time.

I agree with this. Now, do I think she'll be leaving Suits before the end of this season? No. But if that were to happen, I don't think it tells us anything except that she is ready to prioritize the next phase of her life. As I've said before, I don't think she would make such a decision merely in hopes of getting a ring. At that point, we can be sure that an engagement announcement is imminent.

Of course, she doesn't *have* to leave her job nor should she feel pressure to conform to what the BRF or royals fans find suitable. Ultimately, it's her decision, her life and she should do whatever she believes is best for her.

Last edited:
Of course, she doesn't *have* to leave her job nor should she feel pressure to conform to what the BRF or royals fans find suitable. Ultimately, it's her decision, her life and she should do whatever she believes is best for her.

What needs to be remembered too, I think, is that should a marriage happen between Harry and Meghan, it needs to be an equal partnership and that means taking into consideration both partners. The days are long gone when a woman was the "little woman" and the man was head of the household.

The British, even in their ways of doing things always stuck by the norm of not allowing morganatic marriage to occur. Now, in the 21st century, perhaps that consideration should be applied to all aspects of marriage and not just titles and possessions and inheritance.

I think its best if we relegate the "royal" part of Harry's background to being an exterior factor when looking at his present relationship. Of course, that factor is something that has to be considered and will have an effect on any marriage he makes but it comes secondary to if these two people believe they want to commit to a marriage partnership and in reality, its the relationship between these two people that matter most.

It's a realistic expectation when they are engaged yes.

But before they are engaged? For what purpose? She can't attend family events. She can't accompany him on tours or official duties. If he is gone for days or even weeks on tours or other events, she does what, watch tv and wait?

Yes it is archaic. The 'if she is supposed to love him she should be willing to give it all up'. If Harry was Princess Henrietta, would we say the same thing?

If the princess in question happened to be the heiress to the throne, then I would say 'yes', see the examples of Daniel in Sweden, or Philip, Henrik and Claus in previous generations.

Otherwise, the answer would probably be 'no'. Still, I suppose the Swedish Royal Court for example expected Chris to give up his career after marrying Madeleine and it came a little bit as a surprise when he did not and declined a title and Swedish nationality.

What needs to be remembered too, I think, is that should a marriage happen between Harry and Meghan, it needs to be an equal partnership and that means taking into consideration both partners. The days are long gone when a woman was the "little woman" and the man was head of the household.
Nevertheless, as senior members of the British Royal Family, Harry and his wife have a public role which they are expected to play. That is part of the "social contract" that exists between the Royal Family and the country and which justifies keeping the monarchy. Fulfilling those obligations takes precedence over Meghan's personal goals. For example, Meghan will have to give up acting and will have to live permanently in the UK. That is probably not negotiable and, in this sense, it is not an equal partnership.

Going back to the discussion with Countessmeout above, the main reason why the same standard did not historically apply to husbands of princesses was that daughters of monarchs were actually not expected to be working members of the Royal Family after they got married. In fact, most of the time, they were expected to marry into other dynastic families and usually join their husband's family / court.

Last edited:
Nevertheless, as senior members of the British Royal Family, Harry and his wife have a public role which they are expected to play. That is part of the "social contract" that exists between the Royal Family and the country and which justifies keeping the monarchy. Fulfilling those obligations takes precedence over Meghan's personal goals. For example, Meghan will have to give up acting and will have to live permanently in the UK. That is probably not negotiable and, in this sense, it is not an equal partnership.

Still, it would be an equal marriage and partnership should Meghan decide that Harry's royal life is worth giving up her previous profession. It would be her choice in the matter. How strong their relationship is needs to be first and foremost in their minds. Once the decision is made and if it is to go forward into a marriage, it would still remain being an equal partnership with Harry and Meghan working together for the "Firm". All marriages are a partnership with a whole lot of give and take and compromising.

Sometimes personal goals don't matter so much when you find a partner to work with in a different venture together. ;)

I'm almost 100% sure, that Meghan is very aware, that she has to quit acting and become a full time royal, including moving to UK, if she and Harry get married. I'm just not in agreement, that she should quit her and move to UK now, when they're not even engaged.

I really don't think there are many if any folks here who think she should do anything prior to an engagement when it comes to moving or quitting her job.

LaRae

I really don't think there are many if any folks here who think she should do anything prior to an engagement when it comes to moving or quitting her job.

LaRae

Meghan will probably do the whole season. She makes a **** load of money every episode I understand, 50-75K an episode?

Oh I have no idea...I've never paid any attention to the show or what she makes etc.

LaRae

Suits normally wasn't something I would watch and I've found myself loving it- it's fun and funny and there are so many good characters. (Louis Litt is one I find weirdly endearing)

It's turned me into a big fan of Meghan. If they do end up marrying, it will make that wedding extra fun to watch for me.

Seriously? Is that show that popular? If she gets that much I wonder what the GoT actors get.

Going OT, but for the 7th season, 5 of GOT leads are going to get up to
£2 million per episode. Insane amount. So 50-75k per episode on a show on its 7th season is not at all uncommon.

From what I read, she makes between 44-50,000 an episode. The seasons have 16 episodes so she makes between 700-800,000 a season.

I think Meghan is untangling herself from her current life and lifestyle. And she appears to be a strong enough woman that she knows what she is doing. I have felt that there would be an engagement announcement later this year with a wedding in spring of 2017. This weekend I read somewhere (don't remember where) a very valid opinion that with the Invictus Games being in Toronto this Sept (23-30) - it would make sense that Harry would want Meghan officially on his arm; its her home turf. I am not familiar with Suits and its airing or shooting season - but I do expect an engagement announcement in August or before the Invictus Games.

I don't think Meghan would have to be engaged to Harry in order to attend the Invictus Games with him. It is mostly events that are attended by the British Royal Family en masse such as Ascot, Trooping the Color, family weddings and funerals and holidays that she'd only be able to attend as a fiance'.

Harry would be the only one that would be recognized as he is the patron of the Games but I don't see any reason why Meghan couldn't attend with him.

I don't think Meghan would have to be engaged to Harry in order to attend the Invictus Games with him. It is mostly events that are attended by the British Royal Family en masse such as Ascot, Trooping the Color, family weddings and funerals and holidays that she'd only be able to attend as a fiance'.

Harry would be the only one that would be recognized as he is the patron of the Games but I don't see any reason why Meghan couldn't attend with him.

She attend Ascot with him at anytime though. She can also attend family weddings as his guest.

I think Meghan is untangling herself from her current life and lifestyle. And she appears to be a strong enough woman that she knows what she is doing. I have felt that there would be an engagement announcement later this year with a wedding in spring of 2017. This weekend I read somewhere (don't remember where) a very valid opinion that with the Invictus Games being in Toronto this Sept (23-30) - it would make sense that Harry would want Meghan officially on his arm; its her home turf. I am not familiar with Suits and its airing or shooting season - but I do expect an engagement announcement in August or before the Invictus Games.

Sorry but you sound like all the others who think Harry will get engaged to every girl he is with. No tangible evidence, just he has a girlfriend so an engagement is on its way.

^^^ a bit dismissive and rude - but whatever. I feel I adequately prefaced my opinion as just that - 'I think...', 'I have felt...', 'I do expect...'. The point of my post was to introduce the Invictus Games in Toronto as something relevant on Harry's calendar that could influence timing and could be part of the discussion.

It might be possible; she has been to quite a few formal events and frankly I do believe that she is in the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom