Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one royal wedding I will not watch. There is something about this that does not feel right to me - I am allowed my own opinion - I wish him the best as always. He can do better than Hollywood.

^
What do you mean by 'Hollywood', though?

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan dress like a teenager. She wears casual clothes and has a excelent body. 35 is not yet old age, why can not she dress as a young woman?

I don't think Meghan dress like a teenager. She wears casual clothes and has a excelent body. 35 is not yet old age, why can not she dress as a young woman?

I tell you what!!! Everything Meghan wears and sales is selling out. That Beanie she wore a day or two ago, the company that makes and sales then is sold out.

And that ring she just bought, the company's website has had a major surge in visitors to their site. Once the photo was seen outline the company said that 2 hours later they were going crazy answers all the calls about it.

Meghan is a hit deep down!!

This is one royal wedding I will not watch. There is something about this that does not feel right to me - I am allowed my own opinion - I wish him the best as always. He can do better than Hollywood.

They aren't even engaged yet...and they might not want a big royal wedding. It's certainly not required.

LaRae

I'm guilty of the Meghan Effect :lol: I love her shoes...I can definitely see why others are interested as well.I did read comments claiming she dresses more affordably than Kate right now only because she doesn't have Kate's "Taxpayers Budget" but I think even if she did she wouldn't spend as much...Her purses are VERY expensive though,even the Meghan Effect can't get me when it comes to purses! Hopefully we get a Meghan Fashion forum to talk about this on if this leads to engagement.

Ummm I don't think Kate has a taxpayer budget. It is my understanding Prince Charles pays for all her 'official' clothing out of his private funds.

LaRae

I'm guilty of the Meghan Effect :lol: I love her shoes...I can definitely see why others are interested as well.I did read comments claiming she dresses more affordably than Kate right now only because she doesn't have Kate's "Taxpayers Budget" but I think even if she did she wouldn't spend as much...Her purses are VERY expensive though,even the Meghan Effect can't get me when it comes to purses! Hopefully we get a Meghan Fashion forum to talk about this on if this leads to engagement.

Then you've been reading the rambling of morons. Taxpayers do not pay for a royal's wardrobe.

I'm sure that after Harry and Meghan's marriage (if there is one) there will be a couple of Meghan clothing threads. Looking forward to it.

As far as I know William pays for Kate's everyday clothing out of his private income, while Charles forks out for her 'official' wardrobe (for engagements) and a pretty penny it costs him, I'm sure!
(Of course the old argument always blows up from some that Charles's income from the Duchy is really 'the people's' money, but this is not the thread to discuss that! )

Meghan has money of her own but Charles will probably help out with the official wardrobe, as he does with Kate. I know we are getting VERY ahead of ourselves here!

Last edited:
Ummm I don't think Kate has a taxpayer budget. It is my understanding Prince Charles pays for all her 'official' clothing out of his private funds.

LaRae

I know she doesn't but some people claim the taxpayers pay for everything the Royal Family does...I don't actually believe she has a taxpayers budget...Just Mocking the DM comments.The usual excuse for hating Meghan I always hear is the "Taxpayers" don't want to pay for Meghan's lifestyle like they assume they will need to...

I know she doesn't but some people claim the taxpayers pay for everything the Royal Family does...I don't actually believe she has a taxpayers budget...Just Mocking the DM comments.The usual excuse for hating Meghan I always hear is the "Taxpayers" don't want to pay for Meghan's lifestyle like they assume they will need to...

Ah okay gotcha!

I'm not sure what would Meghan's official wardrobe will be like should there be a marriage between her and Harry. However, for her personal wardrobe, she's talked about mixing high end pieces with things that you just wear for fun. I remember she was on a show talking about fashion, and the hosts commented on how beautiful an embroidered top she was wearing in a pic she posted from her vacation. She said that one was from Forever 21, and there are times that you buy investment pieces, but there are times it's just a cheap pretty piece and you wear it a couple times and throw away. She definitely has some high end shoes, bags, and clothing, but this is definitely a girl that just cares about how the clothes look rather than the price tag. Of course, part of it is because she makes a nice living and have the disposable income to spend.

That view is a large part of why she's not likely to continue working post engagement; there is a perception of Royals as living off of taxpayer money, and for a member of the RF to also have a high paying job as a successful actress is going to look bad. However inaccurate the perception is, people will be questioning why their taxes are paying for the lifestyle of a woman who is making millions on TV.

That's not to say that Meghan is making millions off of Suits (I have no idea what she makes per episode) or that she would be living off of taxpayer money as Harry's wife. But the perception would easily be there.

I think this would be worse if she continued to work out of Toronto too. In that case, there actually would be an added cost to taxpayers because of the different security measures; the RPOs are paid through the Metropolitan Police Service. I'm not sure where the funds for general security at BP, KP, etc come from, but I'm going to make a guess that there is always a degree of security at the various royal palaces and residences regardless of who is living there, and that the security is just enhanced depending on who is living there. I'm also going to make a guess that it's less expensive to do security for 4 royals living at KP than it is to do security for 2 royals living at KP and 2 royals living somewhere else.

Living in Toronto makes it harder. The RPOs will likely still be paid for by the Met (and probably extra at that, because of the travel), but there will also be an RCMP detail and security at the Toronto residence. All so that Meghan can continue a career where she's making good money, judging by her handbags.

The upkeep of occupied Kensington Palace is paid by the State. The security is paid by the State. So part of Harry's and his future wife's lifestyle is paid by the State. There is also people that view the Crown Estate, Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall money as State money because if the monarchy didn't exist anymore those sources of income would revert back to the Treasury most likely.

I have read that Meghan gets $75,000 for every episode of Suits in which she appears. I've also read that THe Tig earns her $100,000 a year in cash and kind. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Her collection...looks cheap to me...too ordinary to meI...would never wear it...

That's the point.

It's not a designer fashion line. She didn't sell her designs to a store. She designed for the store. Anyone who has shopped in Canada will have seen reitmans. It is in every city. It's a lower end mall store. It's budget friendly and offers regular and plus size. Clothes for teens to seniors, budget and style wise. No the clothes are not expensive, and no they are nothing trendy or avant guarde. Because that isn't the market she is designing for. Put it this way. You can go into reitmans and buy an outfit, including accessories, for a hundred bucks.

People who want to dress like Meghan wouldn't buy her line. She doesn't wear her line. Not her market.

I have read that Meghan gets $75,000 for every episode of Suits in which she appears. I've also read that THe Tig earns her $100,000 a year in cash and kind. Does that sound about right?

I have no idea, but if it's true she's making 1.3 million a year. Plus whatever she makes through Reitmans.

I'm not sure what she'd be paying in taxes though. She's definitely have to pay Canadian income taxes on what she earns from Suits and Reitmans. I'm not sure if she'd be paying US or Canadian income taxes for what she earns from Tig, or if she'd have to pay US taxes for Suits and Reitmans as well. It might depend on how much work she does in the US and how much she lives in the US vs living in Canada. She could easily be paying almost 50% of her income in taxes, depending on how she has it worked out.

Granted, taking home 50% of 1.3 million annually is still taking home a lot of money.

Not sure about The Tig, but that's her base earning for the show. If the show is broadcasting overseas, she also gets royalties from that. That is actually a very lucrative way to earn money, and a lot of times, it keeps the money flowing after the show stopped filming. Plus, her Reitman line earns her a pretty royalty as well I'm sure.

I have no idea, but if it's true she's making 1.3 million a year. Plus whatever she makes through Reitmans.

I'm not sure what she'd be paying in taxes though. She's definitely have to pay Canadian income taxes on what she earns from Suits and Reitmans. I'm not sure if she'd be paying US or Canadian income taxes for what she earns from Tig, or if she'd have to pay US taxes for Suits and Reitmans as well. It might depend on how much work she does in the US and how much she lives in the US vs living in Canada. She could easily be paying almost 50% of her income in taxes, depending on how she has it worked out.

Granted, taking home 50% of 1.3 million annually is still taking home a lot of money.

She would only be subject to taxation in one jurisdiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
She would only be subject to taxation in one jurisdiction.

You sure about that?

American citizens who work in Canada either with production companies or as athletes are required to pay taxes in Canada if they make more than $15,000 annually in Canada or spend I believe more than half a year residing in Canada. Depending on how they have their income set up, what tax bracket they're in, and what province they're in, this can range from about 20% to 50% of their income in Canada.

American citizens are also required to file taxes in the US, regardless of whether or not they actually reside in the US. They can get tax credits for whatever taxes they end up paying outside of the US, but they still have to file and if the IRS decides they haven't paid enough taxes they have to pay taxes.

Meghan is going to have to pay taxes in Canada on any income for Suits and Reitmans, as she's working in Canada for that. She might not have to pay Canadian taxes for Tig, depending on how she has that set up. But she's also going to have to file taxes for the US, and potentially have to pay more if her tax credits don't cover all of what she owes. Which is possible; if she's making 1.3 million annually she's in the high end of the tax bracket for the US. Depending on how she has her Canadian income set up, she could be paying as low as 23% taxes in Canada, but in the US she'd be expected to pay 39%. She'd very likely have to pay the difference to the IRS.

newbie here :wave:

I'm guilty of the Meghan Effect too. I purchased one of her shirts from Reitman's, and a day or two later, her stuff was nearly sold out, with some left over XL sizes. She has good taste and as each day passes and she's wearing something cool, the designer will be mentioned and said item will sell out fast. She's becoming an alternative to Kate. Both great ladies, but with different fashion taste.

As long as Meghan's permanent residence is in Canada, she is only required to pay Canadian income tax. She does have to file in the US but under NAFTA, as long as she properly files, she doesn't pay extra. My brother in law and his twin are dual citizens. He doesn't own any property or reside in the US, never has, but still required to file every year. He doesn't pay extra taxes. His brother now lives there, but works in both countries, so his taxes harder.

But basically as long as her home is maintained in Toronto while working here, and she files every year, she only has to pay the Canadian taxes.

That view is a large part of why she's not likely to continue working post engagement; there is a perception of Royals as living off of taxpayer money, and for a member of the RF to also have a high paying job as a successful actress is going to look bad. However inaccurate the perception is, people will be questioning why their taxes are paying for the lifestyle of a woman who is making millions on TV.

That's not to say that Meghan is making millions off of Suits (I have no idea what she makes per episode) or that she would be living off of taxpayer money as Harry's wife. But the perception would easily be there.

I think this would be worse if she continued to work out of Toronto too. In that case, there actually would be an added cost to taxpayers because of the different security measures; the RPOs are paid through the Metropolitan Police Service. I'm not sure where the funds for general security at BP, KP, etc come from, but I'm going to make a guess that there is always a degree of security at the various royal palaces and residences regardless of who is living there, and that the security is just enhanced depending on who is living there. I'm also going to make a guess that it's less expensive to do security for 4 royals living at KP than it is to do security for 2 royals living at KP and 2 royals living somewhere else.

Living in Toronto makes it harder. The RPOs will likely still be paid for by the Met (and probably extra at that, because of the travel), but there will also be an RCMP detail and security at the Toronto residence. All so that Meghan can continue a career where she's making good money, judging by her handbags.

Regarding your last sentenece, before the relationship is published, she had only one expensive bag, beige one, at least according to her IG now several... freebies maybe?

I think it is 25.000 but not sure ?

No work for her after marriage to Harry, if they do it, she will be required to do charities in England. No Tig because, this is my area, she will be paid in money or in kind which shall be considered as a gift, people would line up to be promoted... so she will be obliged to terminate all business contacts ... just charities....

Well, Meghan isn't stupid. I would think that if they are serious about each other and have had conversations about marriage, then Harry will have told her what is permitted for a member of the BRF and and what isn't. She is a mature adult and if there is a marriage she'll be going into it with her eyes open and not hoping to continue to act or put anything like the Tig online.

I first heard of the $75,OOO an episode from a person who works in the industry and knows the going rate for these shows and read it again later from another person who knew some of the TV execs, so I'd guess it's about right.

We don't know what Meghan's shopping habits are. However, on her salary, which is far greater than the average Canadian's yearly earnings, I would think she'd be able to afford a few handbags for herself occasionally, without freebies being necessarily involved.

You sure about that?

American citizens who work in Canada either with production companies or as athletes are required to pay taxes in Canada if they make more than $15,000 annually in Canada or spend I believe more than half a year residing in Canada. Depending on how they have their income set up, what tax bracket they're in, and what province they're in, this can range from about 20% to 50% of their income in Canada.

American citizens are also required to file taxes in the US, regardless of whether or not they actually reside in the US. They can get tax credits for whatever taxes they end up paying outside of the US, but they still have to file and if the IRS decides they haven't paid enough taxes they have to pay taxes.

Meghan is going to have to pay taxes in Canada on any income for Suits and Reitmans, as she's working in Canada for that. She might not have to pay Canadian taxes for Tig, depending on how she has that set up. But she's also going to have to file taxes for the US, and potentially have to pay more if her tax credits don't cover all of what she owes. Which is possible; if she's making 1.3 million annually she's in the high end of the tax bracket for the US. Depending on how she has her Canadian income set up, she could be paying as low as 23% taxes in Canada, but in the US she'd be expected to pay 39%. She'd very likely have to pay the difference to the IRS.
I'm sure as I'm a CPA. The concept of tax treaty is so they are not double taxed. They will pay whichever is higher. And btw, the 23% in Canada isn't the same as the percentage you are thinking in US. The 23% in Canada is on gross income. The tax brackets in US are based on net income. As a self employed individual (she gets a 1099, not W-2 from the studio), she'd be able to deduct her "business" related expenses first. She'd be able to deduct management fees, public relations fees, some travel like any other self employed person. In addition, she'd also get foreign earned income exclusion as long as she lives broad for 300 days or more per year, which seems to be the case as she primarily lives in Canada and travels abroad quite a bit when not working. She's also not taxed on the entire net income at 39%. She'd be able to get the lower brackets as well, only any income over 415k in 2017.

Assuming she makes 75k per episode, and Suits filmed 16 episodes last year. Her gross income would $1.2, and Canadian tax liability would be $276k. Doing the calculation for US income, that amount of tax satisfies $859,200 of net income. When you deduct 10% for management fee (she's mentioned that's how much her management takes when she first signed, could be higher now, but not sure), and deduct another 10% for public relation fees and other professional fees. Plus deducting the $100,800 foreign earn income exemption. The net income is already at $859,200. Plus she'd get foreign housing exclusions and any travel related to her work as an actress would also be deductible. There are just so much eligible deductions under the US code that the Canadian tax likely covers her US tax liability. I just geeked out. Mods please feel free to delete if you feel tax talk isn't related to Harry's love life. lol

As long as Meghan's permanent residence is in Canada, she is only required to pay Canadian income tax. She does have to file in the US but under NAFTA, as long as she properly files, she doesn't pay extra. My brother in law and his twin are dual citizens. He doesn't own any property or reside in the US, never has, but still required to file every year. He doesn't pay extra taxes. His brother now lives there, but works in both countries, so his taxes harder.

But basically as long as her home is maintained in Toronto while working here, and she files every year, she only has to pay the Canadian taxes.

Technically if you don't owe taxes, you aren't required to file. However, it's a nice way to cover your behind. Also, if you file, you start running the clock on Statute of Limitation for the IRS to audit you. If you don't file, that clock doesn't start.

Regarding your last sentenece, before the relationship is published, she had only one expensive bag, beige one, at least according to her IG now several... freebies maybe?

I think it is 25.000 but not sure ��

No work for her after marriage to Harry, if they do it, she will be required to do charities in England. No Tig because, this is my area, she will be paid in money or in kind which shall be considered as a gift, people would line up to be promoted... so she will be obliged to terminate all business contacts ... just charities....
I've definitely seen Meghan with multiple designer bags prior to the announcement of the relationship. For a woman who is willing to splurge almost a thousand dollars for each pair shoes from Sarah Flint, I have no doubt that she'd spend a few thousand for a handbag that fancies her. And Sarah Flint has said that Meghan has been a fan for years. And also, the 25k going rate seems low. The starting would be 50k for a show that's picked up. For the more established shows, it's typically higher.

There are just so much eligible deductions under the US code that the Canadian tax likely covers her US tax liability. I just geeked out. Mods please feel free to delete if you feel tax talk isn't related to Harry's love life. lol

I snipped this just because I didn't want to quote the whole thing... but thank you for sharing. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your explanation.

I think it is 25.000 but not sure [emoji848]

Re: the bags. I have no clue, that was a bit of a throwaway comment based on commentary people have made about her fashion. I don't to attention to bags.

Re: 25K. Is that for Tig or the show? I highly doubt she's only making 25K an episode for Suits; she's one of the female leads and it's going into its 7th season.

People.com just figured out what the rest of us have been saying for months....

People.com just figured out what the rest of us have been saying for months....

I read the same thing or something along those lines a while ago but I posted it because it may appear that Harry and Meghan are in the planning stages toward getting the Queen's approval etc.

But it would take all the fun out of if she already knows she will be proposed to. He has to catch her totally off guard and unsuspecting.

No one knows what is going on in the relationship. I think they just published that article about the Queen's approval because they can't dig anything up.

When a relationship gets to a certain point, the people in it know which way they want it to go and start making plans and discussing pertinent subjects. The actual marriage proposal as a "surprise" usually isn't one for couples that have made plans already. One for sure way we'd really have a clue that wedding bells are about to ring is if someone spots Harry meeting with Meghan's father. :D

Yes, American Observer. In the middle of a nice meal at some country pub for preference, near a log fire. Too much bad weather for a proposal outdoors in the weather Britain's having at the moment!

The actual approval by the Queen is basically a rubber stamp. Harry can just ask his grandmother on the phone if he wanted. The official approval for William and Kate and Zara and Mike were done after the engagements were announced. The Queen has never not approved a marriage request and if she was going to I am sure the royal would know well beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom