Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know if they love each other or not. Are they in a relationship? Yes. Do they love each other? We don't know. They are still in the early stages of a relationship that is being carried out between 2 countries.

LaRae

Under other circumstances you may be right but Harry and Meghan are in their 30's. She is 35. He loves her and she him. Harry is not going to wait 2 years to marry. June 2017 will be a year of dating for me. The most he'll wait is a year I think at least, IF he waits that long.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this couple, I really do. But I think talk of an engagement is at least a little bit premature. Unless you know something the rest of us don't know Harry and Meghan are in a relationship which clearly they both seem keen to explore, great for them. But in BRF for this generation its way too early. They haven't ever lived in the same continent let alone the same city for a few months.

Yes they might speed things up compared to a W/K ten year long relationship. But remember Kate got (and still is ) continually hounded by the press, which got worse not better when they got engaged/married.

If this is serious Meghan would have to know that the Photogs are potentially going to chase her every day of her life and the papers are going analyse everything she says and does. This unfortunately goes for any senior RBF member.

If they make it that far I would certainly support them getting married and unless anything awful turns up I can't see that QE2 would be opposed despite what the US tabloids are saying, even if she had initial misgivings.

As for the Cof E as it stands they might be able to actually get married in St Paul's/Westminster Abbey if they wanted but might prefer a more low key ceremony. But as I said I hope they are happy but that might be a way off yet.

In relation to Meghan, I don't know, but for me there is no doubt that Harry is in love. He assumed o romance and defended her, I don't remember him doing this for another girlfriend. Not to mention his sudden visit to Toronto.

Under other circumstances you may be right but Harry and Meghan are in their 30's. She is 35. He loves her and she him. Harry is not going to wait 2 years to marry. June 2017 will be a year of dating for me. The most he'll wait is a year I think at least, IF he waits that long.

If Harry wishes to retain his place in the line of succession then it's not entirely his choice how long he has to wait before an engagement.

Harry need the Queen's permission to marry. It's that simple. If he marries a divorce, Catholic, American woman without his grandmother's permission then he's out of the line of succession. And while the Queen might not consider her being bi-racial, divorced, Catholic, or an American as a valid reason to deny him permission to marry (none of which really are), she is likely to consider a short relationship where the pair of them haven't even lived in the same continent a good reason.

If Harry rushes to the alter just because his biological clock is ticking then he's a fool who's destined to repeat his father's mistakes. Let him enjoy the dating stage of his relationship.

Is it definite that she is (born/culturally) Catholic? I know she attended a Catholic School but so did many non Catholics I know.

Autumn Phillips converted with a quote that "It was basically the same any way." Except without the Pope.

There will be plenty of opportunities in 2017 for Harry and Meghan to show up together

Hmm...

I think it's likely they'll spend New Year's together. Not necessarily Christmas - Harry's likely to spend that with the family, and Meghan isn't likely to get an invite there. New Years is different, and I doubt there's any reason one or the other can't fly to visit, perhaps even for longer than a weekend. January is typically a slow royal month. Likewise, it's unlikely that Harry isn't going to do a ski trip at some point this winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan joins - remember, that's how we first got pictures of him with Cressida.

I don't think we're likely to see Harry, let alone Meghan, at Catherine or William's birthdays. Eugenie's is different, and it'll be interesting to see if any of Harry's exes are also there.

-Eugenie’s 27th birthday. Harry and Eugenie are very close and he usually attends her birthdays, so this is a good possibility. I believe Chelsy and Harry were somewhat on/off throughout their relationship, plus he was a lot younger when Peter turned 30 and Camilla 60 which could have influenced the lack of a date.

I don't know if Meghan'll show up at polo - it'd be interesting as polo games tend to be such huge family things, with the Cambridges, Harry, Anne and Tim, the Phillips, the Tindalls, and even the Wessexes sometimes in attendance. Wimbledon is probably a given - didn't it come out that Meghan attended Wimbledon this year in the royal box? What would also be interesting is if she goes to Ascot, although that's a stretch - Harry doesn't typical attend himself.

I think it's likely that Meghan'll be his plus-one at Skippy's wedding. It would be odd if she wasn't, to be honest - as if Harry were deliberately hiding her.

I do think Harry will visit Meghan while she's filming season 7 - it seems to be implied that he did so while she was filming season 6, but no one was aware of it because the relationship wasn't public then.

Harry's also due in Toronto for Invictus in the spring, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

As for the Queen and DoE's 70th wedding anniversary... I don't see that one happening. Just based on the typical Suits filming/airing schedule, I think it's likely we're looking at an April 2018 engagement at best, which would prevent an appearance at the anniversary.

As for the Cof E as it stands they might be able to actually get married in St Paul's/Westminster Abbey if they wanted but might prefer a more low key ceremony. But as I said I hope they are happy but that might be a way off yet.

Is it definite that she is (born/culturally) Catholic? I know she attended a Catholic School but so did many non Catholics I know.

Autumn Phillips converted with a quote that "It was basically the same any way." Except without the Pope.

I've seen a number of reports that she is Catholic, but nothing from her in any way so I wouldn't call it verified. I mean, it's a logical assumption given her schooling, but not a guarantee.

Of course, Harry can now marry a Catholic without losing his succession rights, so that in itself isn't necessarily an issue - he just can't convert, and his children can't be raised Catholic if he wants them to have succession rights.

I do think that her religion (if she is Catholic) combined with her divorce might prevent a big wedding in Westminster Abbey. Technically, the CoE does allow it, and Harry wasn't a cause of Meghan's divorce so I don't think the CoE would object to a church wedding in itself... but they might go for a "lesser" church. Andrew and Anne both got married in the Abbey, but Edward didn't, and Harry at this point is only the grandchild of the monarch, even if his position is fairly comparable to Andrew's.

Should we take this seriously? Not sure since it seems like a filler but I would hope he would want to marry her in the future...

This is filler. Harry made a quicky trip to see Meghan and the DM, after having already raked him over the coals for it, is now trying to spin it differently.

I think Harry's behaviour indicates he's certainly serious about this relationship, but serious about a relationship doesn't necessarily translate into an imminent engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Harry wishes to retain his place in the line of succession then it's not entirely his choice how long he has to wait before an engagement.

Harry need the Queen's permission to marry. It's that simple. If he marries a divorce, Catholic, American woman without his grandmother's permission then he's out of the line of succession. And while the Queen might not consider her being bi-racial, divorced, Catholic, or an American as a valid reason to deny him permission to marry (none of which really are), she is likely to consider a short relationship where the pair of them haven't even lived in the same continent a good reason.

If Harry rushes to the alter just because his biological clock is ticking then he's a fool who's destined to repeat his father's mistakes. Let him enjoy the dating stage of his relationship.

Ish, I am well aware that he needs the Queen's permission. What;s makes you believe that she won't? I believe she will without reservation if she hasn't given it to him already.

Too early to be talking about marriage. Let's give the couple sometime. If real love is there, they will get there when they feel ready. Can't rush marriage no matter who you are.

Tom Markel, Meghan's father, is Jewish, but her mother isn't. Doesn't Judaism come through the maternal line? Some people at an LA synagogue reportedly stated that she was active there when she was younger and living in that city. In earlier, rather elderly biographies posted on the Internet, Meghan is listed as Jewish. I'm not sure whether her ex husband is Jewish. They didn't marry in a synagogue.

However, there have been no reports from Toronto that Meghan is active in any synagogue there. She attended a Roman Catholic school and had a non-denominational wedding in Jamaica. This suggests to me a fluid attitude towards religious expression.

Tom Markel, Meghan's father, is Jewish, but her mother isn't. Doesn't Judaism come through the maternal line? Some people at an LA synagogue reportedly stated that she was active there when she was younger and living in that city. In earlier, rather elderly biographies posted on the Internet, Meghan is listed as Jewish. I'm not sure whether her ex husband is Jewish. They didn't marry in a synagogue.

However, there have been no reports from Toronto that Meghan is active in any synagogue there. She attended a Roman Catholic school and had a non-denominational wedding in Jamaica. This suggests to me a fluid attitude towards religious expression.

Ah I know a bit about this. If your considered isn't Jewish by your mother then you are not considered an Halachic Jewish person, even if you celebrated all the High Holy Days Exactly right. The BRF wouldn't turn Jewish overnight.

Sucks to have certain questions potentially ending a very happy relationship but thry would be fools not to consider certain responses if/when it continues.

I must be the only one who has never been offended by the 'whatever love means' remark. Any well established couple will tell you that relationships evolve. That first giddy rush of infatuation at some point becomes a more steadfast and deeper love. Both are love - just different stages. There are many scientific studies about all of this stuff, they've even measured the typical length of the infatuation/lust phase. Many relationships founder after that initial thrill fades and don't make it to the long term phase. Cressida never made it to that phase IMO, w/ Chelsey I'm not sure.
Harry has always seemed more impulsive than William, he leads with his heart (although William did break all kinds of rules when he landed his military helicopter in the Middleon garden.) Harry's diversion from Barbados to see Meghan strikes me as something a love struck BF would do, a more established couple is typically more measured. I'm not criticizing them - just suggesting it's the type of gesture more often seen w/ newly formed couples.
Wonder if Meghan will be Harry's plus one at Pippa's May wedding :whistling:

Yes, traditionally Jewish families believe a religion passes from mother to child, the opposite is Muslims. I have known a few Jewish families who had a harder time with a son dating a Christian than a daughter. They assumed their daughter would follow tradition and raise the kids Jewish. They feared their son if he we'd a Christian, would convert and raise his kids such.

Her ex husband is Jewish. She's mentioned celebrating Easters and Christmases but never any Jewish holidays. She's also written of her father celebrating Christmases as a child so if he's Jewish I wonder if he converted at a later age?
She's worn a St. Christopher pendant a couple of times in the past but that's really the only sign of Catholicism I've seen. If I were to take a guess, I wouldn't think she'd have a problem converting.

Victoria Arbiter was on CNN to discuss Harry and she said she'd be shocked if there was a marriage proposal in the near future. Mostly for the same reasons people here are saying.

She said Meghan maybe the one or maybe not but they've only had a handful of dates and until she gets a taste of life in the global fishbowl it's too early to talk marriage.

She wouldn't really need to convert as I understand it. Not since they change things. Harry can marry a Catholic without losing his place in the line of succesion.

LaRae

Victoria Arbiter has NO IDEA what she is talking about...She doesn't know how often Harry and Meghan meet up...Harry and Meghan have been VERY DISCREET in their meetings I doubt Victoria has a tracking device on Harry...After his recent hush trip to Toronto I can't take her seriously anymore.Harry and Meghan are too good at being sneaky for me to agree with the 8 days together...It may even be true but I'm NOT taking it from Victoria...

I do think that her religion (if she is Catholic) combined with her divorce might prevent a big wedding in Westminster Abbey. Technically, the CoE does allow it, and Harry wasn't a cause of Meghan's divorce so I don't think the CoE would object to a church wedding in itself... but they might go for a "lesser" church. Andrew and Anne both got married in the Abbey, but Edward didn't, and Harry at this point is only the grandchild of the monarch, even if his position is fairly comparable to Andrew's.

I also can't see Harry and Meghan getting a Westminster Abbey wedding. While the CoE is somewhat more lenient about divorcees(at least publicly ;) ) , there would be major grumbling behind the scenes if WA was used for such a ceremony. You also have to think about the optics. Charles as a future King only got a civil wedding followed by a blessing, the 5th in-line getting preferential treatment to Charles would look odd. Divorcee Camilla will always outrank divorcee Meghan, so anything other than a civil wedding followed by a blessing for Meghan would make Camilla look 'tainted' and only begrudgingly accepted. Best to just tow the line.

I must be the only one who has never been offended by the 'whatever love means' remark. Any well established couple will tell you that relationships evolve. That first giddy rush of infatuation at some point becomes a more steadfast and deeper love. Both are love - just different stages. There are many scientific studies about all of this stuff, they've even measured the typical length of the infatuation/lust phase. Many relationships founder after that initial thrill fades and don't make it to the long term phase. Cressida never made it to that phase IMO, w/ Chelsey I'm not sure.
Harry has always seemed more impulsive than William, he leads with his heart (although William did break all kinds of rules when he landed his military helicopter in the Middleon garden.) Harry's diversion from Barbados to see Meghan strikes me as something a love struck BF would do, a more established couple is typically more measured. I'm not criticizing them - just suggesting it's the type of gesture more often seen w/ newly formed couples.
Wonder if Meghan will be Harry's plus one at Pippa's May wedding :whistling:

Yes most psychologists and evolutionary biologists say lust/infatuation lasts for 4 years. That's why so many relationships end around that mark. They say the 7-year itch is a myth, it's the 4-year itch. Like you said Cressida never made it to that stage. With Chelsy it's hard to say since so much of their relationship was conducted long distance, it sort of put them in this artificial timeline, because the distance allowed them to put bubble wrap on any gripes and incompatibilities they had with one another.

Pippa's church only holds about 150 people, reportedly. No way in hell would Harry get a plus-one. Heck, Harry might not get an invite, himself. She has a lot of friends she needs to try to fit in, and Harry is just an acquaintance, an in-law of her sister.

Victoria Arbiter has NO IDEA what she is talking about...She doesn't know how often Harry and Meghan meet up...Harry and Meghan have been VERY DISCREET in their meetings I doubt Victoria has a tracking device on Harry...After his recent hush trip to Toronto I can't take her seriously anymore.Harry and Meghan are too good at being sneaky for me to agree with the 8 days together...It may even be true but I'm NOT taking it from Victoria...

So true! We don't know how long they have been together and how much. Those two have been very good at being sneaky. We also don't what they have talked about and to whom regarding a marriage or anything else.

Also, many keep saying it's too soon to talk marriage, but it not about what you or we think. Has anyone thought that Harry may not see it your way, that it is too soon etc?

What if reports are right and he proposes over the holidays? Well, you disagree, okay! What can you do about Harry's decision, if he does propose to Meghan.

Yes, Victoria Arbiter is not good at keeping track of royal relationships. Just the other day she said Catherine met HM after dating William for 3 years. We all know Catherine met HM in May 2008, so dippy V. Arbiter thinks W and C started dating in 2005. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure why you are using capitals which equal shouting and I have a feeling she might know more than you and me.
Until they are living a normal life together it's much too soon to talk weddings
All the hiding and sneaking around can make it very exciting and fun but that's not the life they will lead if they marry. It will be like how every other royal lives and works unless Harry walked away and can't see that happening

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think there are only a very few people who have any clue what's going on, and how often Meghan and Harry have met up. As of now, she's Harry's girlfriend. That's it. He has shown, that he'll have her back, and will go for the extra mile for her. But that doesn't mean engagement, or marriage is in plans any time soon. She's important to him, he wants to be with her, and she's a priority for him (judging by his actions). I think this has got some fans and the media on their toes.

I don't think neither Harry or Meghan are stupid or naive. They know this relationship, if it lasts, will be a huge adjustment for her. I think Harry is trying to make it as easy as possible for her, but it's still a lot. She needs time to get used to it, to adjust.

Hmm...

I think it's likely they'll spend New Year's together. Not necessarily Christmas - Harry's likely to spend that with the family, and Meghan isn't likely to get an invite there. New Years is different, and I doubt there's any reason one or the other can't fly to visit, perhaps even for longer than a weekend. January is typically a slow royal month. Likewise, it's unlikely that Harry isn't going to do a ski trip at some point this winter, and I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan joins - remember, that's how we first got pictures of him with Cressida.

I don't think we're likely to see Harry, let alone Meghan, at Catherine or William's birthdays. Eugenie's is different, and it'll be interesting to see if any of Harry's exes are also there.

-Eugenie’s 27th birthday. Harry and Eugenie are very close and he usually attends her birthdays, so this is a good possibility. I believe Chelsy and Harry were somewhat on/off throughout their relationship, plus he was a lot younger when Peter turned 30 and Camilla 60 which could have influenced the lack of a date.

I don't know if Meghan'll show up at polo - it'd be interesting as polo games tend to be such huge family things, with the Cambridges, Harry, Anne and Tim, the Phillips, the Tindalls, and even the Wessexes sometimes in attendance. Wimbledon is probably a given - didn't it come out that Meghan attended Wimbledon this year in the royal box? What would also be interesting is if she goes to Ascot, although that's a stretch - Harry doesn't typical attend himself.

I think it's likely that Meghan'll be his plus-one at Skippy's wedding. It would be odd if she wasn't, to be honest - as if Harry were deliberately hiding her.

Great list. But she will only be able to make it to any of these if it fits with her proffesional schedual. Shooting movies/series don't get reschedualed just because she is dating a prince.

Last edited:
I think the only reason the Queen's children had to get married in Civil Ceremonies is because they already had their televised weddings that British Taxpayers paid for...Royal weddings are not cheap at all...If they wanted to give Harry and Meghan a Royal Wedding they could bend the rules because who hasn't been waiting on notorious bachelor Harry to get married...That could bring in a large amount of Tourism with her being American also...If the Queen likes her she will make the wedding happen ...She has changed the rules before...As the last son to the Heir and brother to an heir I can't imagine them not having a Royal Wedding and them not taking advantage of Prince George as a pageboy and Princess Charlotte as a potential flower girl to their Uncle...Just my opinion though...

If and when Harry does marry, I fully expect his wedding to a big one. Westminster Abbey and the processions and the balcony appearances. This, of course, depends on Harry going the traditional route with a royal wedding.

For all we know, he could opt out to get married in Africa but I don't see that happening if his beloved Granny and Grandpa is still around to enjoy his wedding. I will also bet my last chocolate covered cherry that William will be his best man/supporter by his side.

It is something to look forward to and that's the best part. :D

I think the only reason the Queen's children had to get married in Civil Ceremonies is because they already had their televised weddings that British Taxpayers paid for...Royal weddings are not cheap at all...

Anne was remarried in a church service. Church of Scotland, not Church of England, but a church wedding all the same. Charles and Camilla were the ones to have a civil ceremony, but their situation was quite complicated by the fact that the public was quite aware of and unhappy with the fact that they'd had an affair during his first marriage. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some concern that a more public wedding than what they had would be met with embarrassingly small crowds or even some protests.

The main factor determining whether a church wedding would be allowed for Harry or anyone in their family would be whether the relationship complies with the rules of the Church of England, and those have been evolving in the last couple of decades. There was a big vote in 2002, after Anne's second wedding but before Charles, at which an overwhelming majority of clergy agreed that remarriage should be allowed on a case-by-case basis, even if there is a surviving ex-spouse. Charles and Camilla quite likely would have been allowed a true church wedding had they sought one. And in the years since that couple remarried, the CoE has increasingly loosened restrictions on clergy, who are the group most strictly held to their standards about these things. There is now precedent for even bishops to be allowed to keep their position after a second marriage.

All this to say that, in the event (which we should not assume is a given) that Harry and Meghan decide to get married, it is quite possible that her previous divorce will not be a stumbling block to them having their ceremony in even the grandest of CoE sanctuaries.

Of course, if she is Catholic and doesn't want convert, that would be a different can of worms...

Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016

I'm not totally sold on Harry getting a big Westminster Abbey wedding. It's a different economic and security situation from when Andrew got married in the Abbey. William and Kate are the future King and Queen. Harry isn't. Even W&K's wedding was scaled back than earlier Abbey royal weddings.

Maybe we see something like Edward's at St George's Chapel. Prince George is the only unmarried royal who would be guaranteed a big Abbey wedding.

Last edited:
What about Harry's own opinion? Maybe he would like a wedding in another church... It's not like only Westminster exist... anyway, I think that the imagination is again flying too high!

Yes, there is of course the very real possibility that there won't be an appetite from Harry or the family as a whole for his wedding (to whomever he eventually chooses, if he chooses to marry) to be a big, public affair. And there are certainly many smaller CoE churches where he could have a quite lovely church wedding, if he wants to do so. We really can't assume anything at this point.

No one here is inside Harry's head to know what he really feels for Meghan. Who can be sure if it's just passion and lust? Who knows, he does not really love her ?? And I agree with whoever said that we do not know exactly how long they are together and how often they have already met. I would not be surprised if they announced the engagement soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom