Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other women who became royals have managed to adapt and adjust, however. I'm sure Marie of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Maxima of the Netherlands knew nothing about Royal protocol or the customs of their adopted countries when they first met their husbands. They even had to learn a new language.

So did Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, who was of Cuban descent and probably was ignorant of the culture and history of the country where she is now Grand Duchess. Grace Kelly left a mega career to settle down to Royal life in Monaco as well as having to communicate in French. So did Charlene. At least there won't be language difficulties in Meghan's case, IF she does end up marrying Harry. She may well learn things very quickly. And Maxima, at least, gives me the impression of being a strong and independent woman who wouldn't be afraid to speak out!

Last edited:
That's true. I think Harry wouldn't have pursued a relationship with Meghan if there was a hard brick wall against them long term. That statement he gave was a huge indication to me, that his plans with Meghan are very long term.

It was a very strong and passionate statement. It's something the media and others weren't used to. They are used to statements William used to issue. Harry's thoughts and feelings were a bit more pronounced.

:previous: good point. It's difficult. Leaving her career would be tough enough. It's not whether she's winning Academy Awards or not. It's the idea of going from an independent woman to some prince's wife. Then on top of that, having to tone down your feelings about important issues for fear of offending.

I don't think just living in Canada part time for 5 years erases the previous years of living as American where freedom of speech is engrained as a fundamental right. But as a Royal you give a lot of that freedom of speech up. You can't comment on government policies, no voting etc.

Well, she knew about poppies, didn't she ? So, she is not totally ignorant about British and Commonwealth traditions.

Personally, I always thought it would be politically convenient for Harry to marry a girl from a Commonwealth realm like Canada or Australia. An American who lives (part time) in Canada would not quite match my wish, but it would be close. More broadly speaking, although we have never had an American marrying into the royal family, there have been many examples of American women marrying British peers and getting settled in British society.

Last edited:
Other women who became royals have managed to adapt and adjust, however. I'm sure Marie of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Maxima of the Netherlands knew nothing about Royal protocol or the customs of their adopted countries when they first met their husbands. They even had to learn a new language.

So did Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, who was of Cuban descent and probably was ignorant of the culture and history of the country where she is now Grand Duchess. Grace Kelly left a mega career to settle down to Royal life in Monaco as well as having to communicate in French. So did Charlene. At least there won't be language difficulties in Meghan's case, IF she does end up marrying Harry. She may well learn things very quickly. And Maxima, at least, gives me the impression of being a strong and independent woman who wouldn't be afraid to speak out!

I do understand yr point of view. But they are not British with the British rules that bind. The recent comments by Queen Margrethe about what did or did not make someone Danish - that would be unacceptable in the UK.

Its more of a straight-jacket which applies to everyone, regardless of position in the hierarchy. And changing it will take yrs. Charles will probably try and not succeed (too soon after HMQs style). You cannot compare the lack of freedom in the UK with the freedom available to Euro royals

I do understand yr point of view. But they are not British with the British rules that bind. The recent comments by Queen Margrethe about what did or did not make someone Danish - that would be unacceptable in the UK.

Its more of a straight-jacket which applies to everyone, regardless of position in the hierarchy. And changing it will take yrs. Charles will probably try and not succeed (too soon after HMQs style). You cannot compare the lack of freedom in the UK with the freedom available to Euro royals

I'm not quite convinced that the amount of freedom (or lack thereof) British royals have is that much different from continental royals. The main difference IMHO is that British royals are subject to greater media attention. But then, again, as Curryong said, moving to a foreign country like the Netherlands, Denmark, Monaco or Luxembourg, whose history and customs may be totally unknown to you, and having to learn a new, often difficult foreign language as an adult, must be far more intimidating than moving from the US or Canada to London.

That's true. I think Harry wouldn't have pursued a relationship with Meghan if there was a hard brick wall against them long term. That statement he gave was a huge indication to me, that his plans with Meghan are very long term.

I totally agree.

Meghan is very intelligent, I saw several interviews of her, I think she could learn super fast about britanic culture. Regarding the queen's opinion, this is difficult to know. After I watched the movie "Diana" with Naomi Watts, I had a terrible impression of her:ohmy:. In the movie, she is portrayed as cold and authoritarian, but I don't know if portrayed the truth

There was chatter after Kate married that she'd like to go the United Nations route but it was quickly and firmly explained to her that it wasn't possible.

Meghan may or may not settle down with Harry. If she does it will require an almost complete overhaul of her life.

Everything she is doing in her life right now would have to stop.

The only way around it, is maybe, just maybe if she didn't take a title herself.

But I doubt that would work even if it was realistic a realistic option.

Last edited:
It's a bit of artistic licence, isn't it? I remember that Aussie made for TV film about Crown Prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson's romance, and Queen Margrethe was portrayed in that as an ice queen, whereas I'm sure she welcomed both her daughters in law with open arms. If you see YouTube films of the private Harry with his Grannie she's very far from an cold authority figure.

Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016

There was chatter after Kate married that she'd like to go the United Nations route but it was quickly and firmly explained to her that it wasn't possible.

Meghan may or may not settle down with Harry. If she does it will require an almost complete overhaul of her life.

The only way around it, is maybe, just maybe if she didn't take a title herself.

Has there been a British Royal that has worked with the UN? We see this with the European royals but I don't recall a British royal getting involved with the UN. Look at the speech that William gave at the Foreign Office where he said that the U.K. has to work together with other countries which is totally true and then got accused by the press as being pro EU.

Last edited:

Meghan will carve out a role where she can still make a huge difference. Again, the couple only been dating for a few months. We are getting ahead of ourselves.

I can see Meghan and Harry doing all sorts of things including trying to make a difference in African communities. In Britain Meghan could take on charities connected with the Arts. There are many, many things she could do if and when they marry!

Is anyone else dismayed by the fact that we have yet to see the couple photographed together?

After such a poignant declaration and acknowledgement from KP I was hoping we would get a photo. I was even more optimistic when Meghan flew over. But nothing? ?

What pops in my mind is the discussion not too long ago about the monarchy under Charles and the role of the York princesses. Harry is the future Prince Andrew and his children are the future York princesses, and if the model of monarchy is the streamlined one where the British Royal Family is defined as the children of the monarch, then how strict should things be for Harry's wife knowing that her children, while grandchildren of a monarch, for them being part of the family business that Harry is part of is not an option. I can see the argument being made that Harry's wife, and maybe even Harry himself, should have greater latitude because their descendants are expected to make their way in the world but not as royals.

Using Meghan as an example, I can see her not being able to make comments like the one she made about moving to Canada if Trump won the election, but can the BRF really be overly controlling of Meghan's choices since the expected direction of the royal family is one where her children are not royal, and if heaven forbid she and Harry get divorced, while she will be able to keep the fancy title, assuming that she agrees to take it in the first place, but other than that, she will have to fend for herself, a la Sarah Ferguson.

Last edited:
What pops in my mind is the discussion not too long ago about the monarchy under Charles and the role of the York princesses. Harry is the future Prince Andrew and his children are the future York princesses, and if the model of monarchy is the streamlined one where the British Royal Family is defined as the children of the monarch, then how strict should things be for Harry's wife knowing that her children, while grandchildren of a monarch, for them being part of the family business that Harry is part of is not an option. I can see the argument being made that Harry's wife, and maybe even Harry himself, should have greater latitude because their descendants are expected to make their way in the world but not as royals.

Using Meghan as an example, I can see her not being able to make comments like the one she made about moving to Canada if Trump won the election, but can the BRF really be overly controlling of Meghan's choices since the expected direction of the royal family is one where her children are not royal, and if heaven forbid she and Harry get divorced, while she will be able to keep the fancy title, assuming that she agrees to take it in the first place, but other than that, she will have to fend for herself, a la Sarah Ferguson.

unless you follow royalty, spend your entire adult life social climbing to become a royal a la kate middleton or are part of the royal family most people, espescially americans, don't know anything of the tradition that royalty generally remains apolitical never making public statements. taking all of this into context, i highly doubt fro his point forward she will be making any such statements and if she does it will only be another sign that she will likely never marry harry.

i think this is a situation where he is more into her than she is into him. i believe she enjoys the publicity and the idea of being royalty but at the end of the day shen isn't willing to fall in line like kate and the others to get the title. i think someone in her camp leaked the relationship.

So if they get married it couldn't be a big wedding in the Church of England because she is divorced ???
Charles couldn't marry in church. Anne got married in Scotland, Margaret couldn't get married in England and would have had to give her position and live out of the country same as the duke of Windsor
So what's the rule now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Hmmm good question but I'd say if Charles couldn't get married in the Church and Anne had to go to Scotland...Harry won't be able to either. I never expected Harry to have a big fancy wedding. I figured it would be on a smaller scale more like Zara's. Maybe a destination wedding.

LaRae

The CoE has allowed divorcees to marry in a church since 2002, provided that whoever performs the ceremony consents to it.

In the case of Charles and Camilla, I believe the issue wasn't so much that they couldn't get married in the church as it was decided that given the circumstances it was probably best that they didn't - the fact that the two of them played parts in each other's divorces being a big part of the issue.

Hmmm good question but I'd say if Charles couldn't get married in the Church and Anne had to go to Scotland...Harry won't be able to either. I never expected Harry to have a big fancy wedding. I figured it would be on a smaller scale more like Zara's. Maybe a destination wedding.

LaRae

Andrew had a big wedding so did Margaret both in the same position as Harry.
So I think if he married anyone not divorced it would be a pretty big affair.

Very different eras when Andrew (remember the oppulent 80's?) and when Margaret married (sister to the Queen at the time..and a very different time in history).

Harry doesn't seem like a big fancy wedding type of guy.

LaRae

The CoE has allowed divorcees to marry in a church since 2002, provided that whoever performs the ceremony consents to it.

In the case of Charles and Camilla, I believe the issue wasn't so much that they couldn't get married in the church as it was decided that given the circumstances it was probably best that they didn't - the fact that the two of them played parts in each other's divorces being a big part of the issue.

Hmmm so why did Anne marry in Scotland? I've always heard it was because of her divorced state that she didn't marry in the CoE.

LaRae

So if they get married it couldn't be a big wedding in the Church of England because she is divorced ???
Charles couldn't marry in church. Anne got married in Scotland, Margaret couldn't get married in England and would have had to give her position and live out of the country same as the duke of Windsor
So what's the rule now.

If Harry and Meghan go the distance, I think they'll follow the template of one of the two royals you mentioned.

1. Pull a Charles-Camilla. Have a civil wedding then have a Blessing service at St. George's.

2. Take advantage of the fact that the Church of Scotland is a lot more liberal than the Church of England and get married in Edinburgh. They have plenty of large churches. St. Giles' Cathedral is every bit as beautiful as Westminster Abbey, imo.

Give Meghan a break and be supportive!

Now, I have read the last posts in this thread. I bet Harry will work it out so that she can continue acting while they are married if she wants to do that. Times are changing. Harry is number 5 not number 3. I am sure he and Meghan have talked about all the things you all mentioned.

Secondly, Meghan is not British, married into the royal family or not that fact will not change! She is an American born and raised black woman. They are strong and determined. She is different than the establishment and I think that is what Harry wants.

I predict there will be a engagement sometime next year! They are in there 30's and both want to have kids before they get any older is what I am guessing. Meghan will be fine and she and Harry will be fine as well!

The first American born and raised British Princess may be the way in. She will be the most popular royal in that family simply because she is American.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way she will be able to continue acting if she marries the son of the next King. She will be expected to work in the 'Firm'. Just as Harry will be.

LaRae

Is anyone else dismayed by the fact that we have yet to see the couple photographed together?

After such a poignant declaration and acknowledgement from KP I was hoping we would get a photo. I was even more optimistic when Meghan flew over. But nothing? ?

Everyone is waiting for those first photos of them together. It's all down to when they will emerge in public. She's busy and he's busy right now.

Her comments about Trump were spot on!!

Ya'll Meghan is American! A marriage to a Royal does not change that. She has a right to express an opinion about what's happening in her country. This is not the dark ages nor is it the the 1980's. I do not want a marriage to turn into a silent wall flower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'll Meghan is American! A marriage to a Royal does not change that. She has a right to express an opinion about what's happening in her country. This is not the dark age nor is it the the 1980's. I do not want a marriage to turn into a silent wall flower.

If they marry while The Queen is still alive, it won't be a State wedding and they won't be have to invite the President. Just like grandson William didn't invite Obama, because it wasn't required.

edit: the mods removed American Observer7 post about Meghan not inviting Trump to her wedding. So now my post seems random. :lol: oh, well.

Last edited:
Very different eras when Andrew (remember the oppulent 80's?) and when Margaret married (sister to the Queen at the time..and a very different time in history).

Harry doesn't seem like a big fancy wedding type of guy.

LaRae

That would be very disappointing to many people and would seem to be because of her differences ( I'm not going into them ) to others who married into the BRF.
And heaven above there are people on this forum who want a royal wedding for Pippa not one for Harry would upset all royalists. Times might have changed but royal weddings are what England does so well.
And need

Please note that political comments about President Elect Trump has been edited as off topic.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted/edited without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Hmmm so why did Anne marry in Scotland? I've always heard it was because of her divorced state that she didn't marry in the CoE.

LaRae

Anne and Tim married in 1992. The CoE didn't change it's stance until 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom