Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016-2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I don't see him marrying someone he's known less than a year.

They did this with cressie.

But what I do know is that Chelsey will always be his camilia :whistling:

Oh God! Forget Chelsy. She is past. And Harry's story with her was very different from his father's story and Camilla.:winkiss:

:previous:

I don't see the Harry/Chelsy/Camilla/Charles parallels either.:sad:

I don't see the Harry/Chelsy/Camilla/Charles parallels either.:sad:

I don't either. I see a better comparison with Harry/Cressida/Camilla/Charles.

Both Cressida and Camilla are English with middle-class fathers and blue-blooded mothers. They each dated a Prince, then went back to their handsome polo-playing ex that they were still in-love with, aka Andrew Parker-Bowles and Harry Wentworth-Stanley. They both stayed good friends with the Prince after the break-up. And they're both longtime pals with royal cousins, Cressida-Eugenie, and Camilla-Alexandra.

Not that I think Harry and Cressida will ever get back together. I just see more superficial similarities.

I think one factor that's maybe not obvious in the question of press intrusion on Meghan in particular is that she's been living in Toronto and got famous while doing so.

I see a lot of "well, she's a celebrity, what does she expect, she has to be used to it, etc"

It's maybe not obvious to anyone who's not familiar with the Toronto scene, but it's.. incredibly low key about celebrities. I've been in bars/restaurants when people walk in who're recognized by every single person in the place. The reaction is, pretty much always, that everyone else tries to out-chill each other in pretending not to recognize the star in question. And it's not just TV -- a friend of mine had the same experience when Mike Myers walked in at the height of Austen Powers box office.

The media is also, from what I can tell, pretty respectful and chill too. (In fact, I've been watching the Toronto Star coverage and it's been a fraction of the UK/US.)

Meghan actually described exactly what it's like for her to live there, more than a year ago: Meghan Markle on her 'normal life' in Toronto before Prince Harry relationship

So that's "what she's used to". I'm certain that this level of attention is a whole new ball game.

Harry and Meghan may or may not be The Real Thing. They might be enjoying a passionate romance that eventually ends, or they may be enjoying a passionate romance that leads to marriage.

This guy lost his mother when he was twelve years old. He was a child. The sight of his downcast face as his father held his hand while greeting mourners at the Palace gates stays with me still...as does the image of the MUMMY card he placed of the coffin.

I have suspected for years the wound inflicted on both of the Wales boys by that trauma ran deeper than any of us can ever know. It's why even though I was not overjoyed with William's choice of spouse I was able to understand that he needed so much more than just a wife. He needed the healing that the security of a happy family life could provide and I am satisfied that he seems to have found it. My feelings about Kate Middleton and her family don't matter.

I want the same for Harry. I want him to find the woman that can give him a shot at joy and stability, something that he and his brother were deprived of in childhood.

So, if this is it let it happen for him...why not?

I agree that the loss of their mother at such a critical time of their development runs deeper than we could know.

I believe a large part of Catherine's appeal to William was/is her family. The Middletons seem to be very close-knit, with a huge emphasis on family. I believe William really gravitated toward not just his future wife, but joining in the family. I also think this will have a very positive impact in the upbringing. Of George and Charlotte.

IF Meghan is smart and is serious about Harry she will go completely silent as far as this relationship is concerned. I know she is an actress and must court publicity yada yada. But that is only where her career is concerned.

She needs to become a closed book as far as her personal life from here on in. Because if she keeps it up with cutesy-shmoopsie photos and "I'm the luckiest girl alive" (wink wink) remarks on social media she is going to make Harry look like both a fool and a hypocrite.:sad:

She can't control the media storm but she can control the part she plays in it, imo.

I agree that the loss of their mother at such a critical time of their development runs deeper than we could know.

I believe a large part of Catherine's appeal to William was/is her family. The Middletons seem to be very close-knit, with a huge emphasis on family. I believe William really gravitated toward not just his future wife, but joining in the family. I also think this will have a very positive impact in the upbringing. Of George and Charlotte.

I agree 100% about your first three observations.

I hope so and time will about your final one.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF Meghan is smart and is serious about Harry she will go completely silent as far as this relationship is concerned. I know she is an actress and must court publicity yada yada. But that is only where her career is concerned.

She needs to become a closed book as far as her personal life from here on in. Because if she keeps it up with cutesy-shmoopsie photos and "I'm the luckiest girl alive" (wink wink) remarks on social media she is going to make Harry look like both a fool and a hypocrite.:sad:

She can't control the media storm but she can control the part she plays in it, imo.

I think she largely has, actually.

• The banana thing was a repost of a picture she found (not something she made).. i suspect she just thought it was cute, because it is.
  • The puzzles and tea pic is possibly the most innocuous instagram post I can imagine.
  • The "luckiest girl in the world" was when she was interviewed about her fashion line and I would lay actual money that the interview took place before the news broke.
    If you read the original interview (Q&A: Meghan Markle talks new fashion collection for Reitmans | Vancouver Sun) the reporter clearly has absolutely no idea that the person they're interviewing is about to hit the headlines for dating a prince.
  • The first time she went out publically after the news broke, she hired security to ensure that some distance from the press; she didn't give a sidewalk interview
  • Her mother delivered a clear no comment when ambushed.
  • Her father has made himself completely unavailable to ambush by leaving for Mexico.

As for her social media presence, it's pretty clearly curated to give a very specific view into her private life. Which means it's not really her private life, it's the portion of her private life she's willing to show.

So we're left with the fact that her half siblings won't keep their mouths shut, and since she doesn't have much contact with them, there's not a lot she can do about it, any more than Kate could do about the various distant relatives who tried to advance their own interests on her coat tails (I'm looking at you, Katrina).

I was not aware that Meghan's father had decamped to Mexico. Can't say I blame him one bit.:cool:

The way the media is going on about them it sounds like they've walked down the isle and she's had a baby all in 6 months

I feel the reason this is getting so much heat as it is, is that Harry (and Meghan) are in their 30's and people are eager for the whole hoopla of a marriage + kids.

Well, I guess we Americans are still considered uncouth barbarians as far as our cousins across the pond are concerned!:lol: Harry needs to summons the shade of his great uncle the Duke of Windsor for pointers on how to cope when the girl you love is American.;)

In all seriousness, I see her previous(very brief) marriage as being more of an impediment than the fact that she is an American. (Her ethnicity is a complete non issue as far as I am concerned... period.)

The fact that she is also a baptized Roman Catholic might not pose a problem if she agrees to raise any children in the CoE.

IF it even gets that far.

Barely civilized we are evidently....

I don't see the divorce being an issue at all considering most of his immediate family have been divorced.

It doesn't sound like she's really a practicing Catholic so that probably wouldn't be an issue either.

It will be interesting to see how it goes....she is going to have to be willing to give up almost everything if she marries him. Plus take on a life of public service and media (and public) scrutiny. Time will tell how serious it is.

LaRae

Today's announcement has me rooting hard for Harry and Meghan because if he didn't care about her well being very much, that statement wouldn't have happened. He also wouldn't have officially confirmed her as his girlfriend (and subjected her to all that goes along with that) if it weren't serious.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this relationship progress on an accelerated time line. And good for them- I hope for their happiness

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

pointers on how to cope when the girl you love is American.

Throw Jewels at her, if Wallis is anything to go by....

***I am officially team "Marry"!
!***:thumbup::D

I have to say I delightfully surprised by the KP release. It is very detailed and addressed everything such as the fact that

1. Harry is very much aware that he leads a very privileged life.
2. He is NOT ignorant of the racist comments made towards Miss Markle.
3. He is aware of the hounding, bribing, and sinister plots against Miss Markle and her friends and family.
4. He is deeply concerned for her safety.

I loooved the fact that he stuck it to them with the "it is her life and mine" comment!

It is a "knight in shining armor" move. Very commendable of Harry to take the initiative to release the announcement.

Plenty of nobles from England were more than happy to take American money back in the day. I wouldn't get too high in the instep.

LaRae

Everything rests with the couples personal relationship, but one big way for us and the media to give them a good start, for everyone to respect the couples privacy and give them space to thrive.

I don't see the divorce being an issue at all considering most of his immediate family have been divorced.

It doesn't sound like she's really a practicing Catholic so that probably wouldn't be an issue either.

It will be interesting to see how it goes....she is going to have to be willing to give up almost everything if she marries him. Plus take on a life of public service and media (and public) scrutiny. Time will tell how serious it is.

LaRae

I agree.

All the more reason for her to sign off on a CoE upbringing for any children or even to convert, like Peter Phillips's wife Autumn did.

Congratulations to Prince Harry and Ms. Markle. I hope they'll have a great time together. May it be eternal while it lasts, as we say here in Brazil.

I do wonder, though, if they have the same goals in life. She's already 35, divorced, and an actress (and there's nothing wrong with that, really. At almost 38, I'm a woman who chose a career over a husband and children). He's a bit younger than her at 32, and has already expressed a wish settle down with a wife and children.

But I have nothing to do with their relationship. And again, I wish them happiness, together or not.

I just read the announcement.
Well done Harry for standing up for your girlfriend like that.
It's a shame though that it is 'unpresidented', that William never did so for Catherine. The critisism against her may not have been racial, but they were awful and degrading anyway.
I wonder why William never took such a step.

I agree.

All the more reason for her to sign off on a CoE upbringing for any children or even to convert, like Peter Phillips's wife Autumn did.

Right not likely to be a concern to her that she has to 'sign off'...but aren't they supposed to be changing things so a royal can marry a Catholic without losing their place in line of succession?

LaRae

Maybe the legislation has been proposed but not passed? Unsure. Some of our British friends posting here will have to confirm that one.

Yeah I know there was lots of talk about it...just unsure what the status is.

LaRae

Prince Harry: Relationship Suggestions and Musings 2016

That all got changed when they switched to equal primogeniture. You marry a Catholic and you are still in the line of succession. Only the first six in line need permission from monarch to marry. If you marry without permission, your marriage is valid but you and children from that marriage lose place in succession. If the children of a marriage with a Catholic are raised Catholic, they lose their place in the line of succession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

LaRae

Meghan being a Catholic, practicing or otherwise (no idea if she is or isn't!) is neither here nor there as that ban was voided along with the rule on male gender succession over female a few years back.

OK - I admit to being offended. As I am American and older than anyone unwed in the BRF, no one would ask me for my hand. So I don't matter. :cool:

But I will comment. I would NEVER marry for the jewels or the clothes. I'd marry for LOVE. Even knowing that my risk is 50:50 to end in divorce.

I could never tolerate a relationship bound only by the baubles I could wear. I'd have to care deeply about my spouse and their values and mission. I have to respect the man with whom I share my life. JMO

Wallis and I share little beyond a sharp mind.

I just read Ms Hopkins Daily Mail article. And i don't understand why the need to drag W&K in it. Can't she just stick to H&M. Anyway i can't stand her..my rant for today

That all got changed when they switched to equal primogeniture. You marry a Catholic and you are still in the line of succession. Only the first six in line need permission from monarch to marry. If you marry without permission, your marriage is valid but you and children from that marriage lose place in succession. If the children of a marriage with a Catholic are raised Catholic, they lose their place in the line of succession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This is very helpful. Thanks Skippyboo.
:)

OK - I admit to being offended. As I am American and older than anyone unwed in the BRF, no one would ask me for my hand. So I don't matter. :cool:

But I will comment. I would NEVER marry for the jewels or the clothes. I'd marry for LOVE. Even knowing that my risk is 50:50 to end in divorce.

I could never tolerate a relationship bound only by the baubles I could wear. I'd have to care deeply about my spouse and their values and mission. I have to respect the man with whom I share my life. JMO

Wallis and I share little beyond a sharp mind.

I really doubt Wallis would have appreciated the characterization either. I'm not entirely convinced that Wallis was as in love with David as he was with her, but she certainly wasn't in it for the jewels - if she was, she would have been fine with just being the mistress. Far more jewels come out of being the mistress of the King than the wife of the exiled Prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom