The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes, but wouldn't the increase in tourism offset the costs?
But it's always a perception thing. Tabloids tend to go with '£30 million cost to tax-payer for William's wedding' and bury the tourism boost and economic spinoff.

Look at the costs for renovating BP. The Queen is immensely popular but you have senior members of the Labour party saying she should pay out of pocket for it.

Harry may get a humongous wedding but there will be newspapers and media and politicians who ask why.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmagnolia View Post
That is a great point...Meghan has never been married in a Church at all...Would her marriage even be seen as "Real" to the CofE since it wasn't in a church?...
Sorry not familiar with the rules of that church...
A Catholic who marries in a non sacramental(civil) ceremony or who marries in another religion without Catholic consent is considered to have never been married at all.

Such marriages are invalid according to Roman Catholic canon law(see Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano's first brief civil wedding)

I am not sure if the same rules apply in the CoE but Meghan is a single woman who has never been validly married according to the Vatican.

ETA: Her status will be the same if she marries Harry in the CoE without a dispensation from her bishop

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=Moonmaiden23;1945368]
Quote:
That is a great point...Meghan has never been married in a Church at all...Would her marriage even be seen as "Real" to the CofE since it wasn't in a church?...
Sorry not familiar with the rules of that church...[/QUOTE

A Catholic who marries in a non sacramental(civil) ceremony or who marries in another religion without Catholic consent is considered to have never been married at all.

Such marriages are invalid according to Roman Catholic canon law(see Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano's first brief civil wedding)

I am not sure if the same rules apply in the CoE but Meghan is a single woman who has never been validly married according to the Vatican.

ETA: Her status will be the same if she marries Harry in the CoE without a dispensation from her bishop
Lots of kids go to Catholic schools but aren't Catholic. Doesn't seem like I've seen anything indicating she's ever been a practicing Catholic.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Good point-I agree!

I just remember reading on Daily Fail that she was brought up Catholic. Which means it should be taken with the largest grain of salt possible.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Nobility

Prince Harry's Christmas Gift to Meghan?

I wonder what it will be? I hear he is keen on jewelry.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I wonder what it will be? I hear he is keen on jewelry.
Do you mean an engagement ring? I know we are getting so ahead of ourselves but it's so fascinating Harry has a girl im so excited!!!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Majesty

Prince Harry's girlfriend Meghan Markle takes her dog Bogart to the vet in Toronto* | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do you mean an engagement ring? I know we are getting so ahead of ourselves but it's so fascinating Harry has a girl im so excited!!!
YES, WE MIGHT! But I Harry may surprise those that insist it's too soon or premature during Christmas or New Years. We'll see.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Well.... I think I can let go of the idea that Harry gets a dog for Christmas now.

I hope whatever gifts they do exchange remain private between the two of them. We don't have to know everything and anything.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Majesty

The fact that she has rescued this adorable doggie and given him the name "Bogart"...same as my rescued tomcat...gives me a sort of built-in soft spot for the lady.

But Daily Fail is becoming a parody with their Meghan headlines:

MEGHAN DOES YOGA!
MEGHAN GLOWS AFTER A NIGHT WITH HARRY! **wink wink*
MEGHAN BUYS GROCERIES!
MEGHAN WALKS THE DOG!!
MEGHAN BUYS FLOWERS!!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Nobility

We're going into the December/January quiet period.. I anticipate that the papers will run any Meghan story they can since general royal news will mostly dry up for a couple of months.

What I am intrigued by is that Meghan is back in Toronto, since filming has wrapped on Suits. It pretty much confirms that she lives there, rather than being there when the show is filming. But, generally, if you're an LA person, you'd usually need a reason to decide to live through Toronto winters if you have other options. Who knows, maybe it's just the dogs, but I find it interesting.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
We're going into the December/January quiet period.. I anticipate that the papers will run any Meghan story they can since general royal news will mostly dry up for a couple of months.
I agree - it appears that the silly season has started (although, with this particular tabloid, it seems that it's the silly season most of the time ).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

If her first wedding was a civil wedding there would be no problem with her having a church wedding at all. The reason Charles and Camilla had to marry in a register office is because the C of E can't marry divorced people who have married in a church previously. They may give a blessing to them but they can't marry them. They take the view that Christian marriage is for life and don't recognise divorce, the same as the Catholic Church. For example, if Andrew and Sarah wanted to remarry they could do so civily to make it legal again but they wouldn't require a blessing as the C of E will still regard them fully as man and wife. Camilla and her first husband are in the same position in the eyes of the church and that's why she and Charles had to marry in the register office. If Mr Parker Bowle should die before Camilla she and Charles could then remarry in church as both would be classed as being widowed (and I think they would definitely do this) So the bottom line is that Meghan's first marriage will be considered irrelevant as long as it wasn't in a church just as Letizia of Spain's was.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:46 PM

This is such an interesting topic. If Harry chooses to marry Meghan I think his wedding will be grand but not in the scale of his brothers. I think perhaps Windsor Castle would be an appropriate and still beautiful location.

I think the type of wedding Harry chooses will reflect a lot of things. For instance if he marries in the next few years the economic climate will be taken into consideration. No one knows how Brexit will affect our economy. HM has a keen instinct on how to tread tricky times like recessions.

On a personal level Harry may prefer a quiet wedding. Or, he may want to give Meghan (or whoever he weds) the full on Pomp and circumstance. So it all depends on so many levels.

If Harry takes his time and there is a coronation before a wedding then that may be factored in as two state events in a short period may be too expensive.

My instinct though gears towards Windsor with a still impressive location whilst not affecting the city of London, as policing theses events must be huge operational wise.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
YES, WE MIGHT! But I Harry may surprise those that insist it's too soon or premature during Christmas or New Years. We'll see.
I'm curious, why are you so determined that they should get engaged/married ASAP? I know there's the dreaded phrase that "neither are getting any younger" etc but as far as we know they haven't actually spent huge amounts of time together, lived on the same continent, seen if she can handle the royal circus that will last for the rest of her life if they get married or for that matter if she wants to effectively give up her acting career.

I have no objection to them getting married, (not that anyone is asking me!) but with so many potential deal breakers the very worst thing they could do would be to rush it IMHO.

I'm reasonably certain that the C of E does now recognise divorce and allows divorcees to be remarried in church - at the discretion of the local Vicar, cases of marrying the mistress may still be looked on with askance etc.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I'm curious, why are you so determined that they should get engaged/married ASAP? I know there's the dreaded phrase that "neither are getting any younger" etc but as far as we know they haven't actually spent huge amounts of time together, lived on the same continent, seen if she can handle the royal circus that will last for the rest of her life if they get married or for that matter if she wants to effectively give up her acting career.

I have no objection to them getting married, (not that anyone is asking me!) but with so many potential deal breakers the very worst thing they could do would be to rush it IMHO.

I'm reasonably certain that the C of E does now recognise divorce and allows divorcees to be remarried in church - at the discretion of the local Vicar, cases of marrying the mistress may still be looked on with askance etc.
Because so many are against her for stupid reasons, the primaries being that she is half black and American to boot. Secondly, I am sick of reading that it's too soon etc. as if they had a say in what is soon enough. You may think it's too soon but chances are Harry would disagree and he would not care what you thought about this. He is going to what he wants and with his grandmother's blessing if she hasn't given it to him already.

I use "You" for generally speaking by the way...

Anyway, I also support this because I called this, I said that Harry would fall for an American woman and he has. So many doubted the possibility.

And finally, the prospect of seeing the first British/American Princess of color is exciting to me especially since so many are against her.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Majesty

You don't know anymore than we do A.O. ...none of us know what Harry is or isn't thinking. It's all a guess at this point.

LaRae
Old 12-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You don't know anymore than we do A.O. ...none of us know what Harry is or isn't thinking. It's all a guess at this point.

LaRae
We can deduce by how protective he is of her and his actions but otherwise you're right it's all a guess.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The fact that she has rescued this adorable doggie and given him the name "Bogart"...same as my rescued tomcat...gives me a sort of built-in soft spot for the lady.

But Daily Fail is becoming a parody with their Meghan headlines:

MEGHAN DOES YOGA!
MEGHAN GLOWS AFTER A NIGHT WITH HARRY! **wink wink*
MEGHAN BUYS GROCERIES!
MEGHAN WALKS THE DOG!!
MEGHAN BUYS FLOWERS!!
Me, as a Torontonian, I love all the free publicity for our city; especially as none of the papers here give Ms Markle any notice!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:49 AM
Nobility

Well, it looks like Harry is happy and he really loves her. I hope her divorce is not a hindrance to their future together. I mean with three of her Majesties children are divorced as is her daughter in law. From what we can see Meghan looks like a lovely lady and he racial background should not be an issue at all. As for it being to soon only the couple in question would have the answer to that. Look, when you find the right one, you find the right one. With the world such a mess at it is a love story is a bright spark. Who cares about richer or poorer, what colours we are. Love is love. I for one hope it works out for them. Like all couples in love, they deserve a happy ending. Let's pray that they get one.