The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Zara's not a child of the Prince of Wales or a prominent Royal that the public would turn out for and wanted to see wed. And what of the bride? What if she would like a wedding in an ancient church in or near London like St George's, Windsor, or the Abbey? Meghan seems to have a wide circle of friends and so does Harry. There are his charities as well. He'd probably like representatives from them to be present.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

People on Twitter don't have to pay for shutting down the center of London.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If Harry wishes to retain his place in the line of succession then it's not entirely his choice how long he has to wait before an engagement.

Harry need the Queen's permission to marry. It's that simple. If he marries a divorce, Catholic, American woman without his grandmother's permission then he's out of the line of succession. And while the Queen might not consider her being bi-racial, divorced, Catholic, or an American as a valid reason to deny him permission to marry (none of which really are), she is likely to consider a short relationship where the pair of them haven't even lived in the same continent a good reason.

If Harry rushes to the alter just because his biological clock is ticking then he's a fool who's destined to repeat his father's mistakes. Let him enjoy the dating stage of his relationship.
Wise and thoughtful comment. I agree with every word Ish.. The fact that she is bi-racial and Catholic and American are not things she has control over and should not be grounds to disapprove of her. However a rushed courtship full of physical attraction and passion does not bode well for a long term stable marriage.

HM is a (reputedly) wise woman full of common sense who has lived a very long life. I think she will do what she can to head off another divorce in her family.

IF Harry and Meghan are truly in love there is no rush.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I still don't see Harry having a wedding like Williams regardless that he's the son of the PoW. It's her second wedding. Most generally when divorcee's re-marry they do not have big productions of it. It's usually considered in bad taste. Charles didn't even get married in a Church.

LaRae
Old 12-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles's situation was totally different. It don't apply to Harry and Meghan.

Anyway, it's a bit to early to go into this talk right now. A courtship is taking place.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Harry is the most popular royal in the BRF and he is marrying an American and it's for that reason I think his wedding will be televised and it will big and some nation leaders will be invited.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

I find it easier to end up in divorce if Harry, induced by the family, marries a empty-headed socialite
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She wouldn't really need to convert as I understand it. Not since they change things. Harry can marry a Catholic without losing his place in the line of succesion.

LaRae
She would not need to convert to the CoE, but she would definitely need to agree to raise her children as Anglicans. This is the "fine print" that some people seem to ignore when discussing the barriers removed from Catholics marrying into the BRF.

For most devout Catholics that would be a deal-breaker but perhaps like Autumn Kelly Meghan thinks "it's all the same anyway".

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Don't believe the marriage rumors folks. William and Catherine were due to marry hundreds of times before an announcement really came. Let's give them some time guys.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
She would not need to convert to the CoE, but she would definitely need to agree to raise her children as Anglicans. This is the "fine print" that some people seem to ignore when discussing the barriers removed from Catholics marrying into the BRF.

For most devout Catholics that would be a deal-breaker but perhaps like Autumn Kelly Meghan thinks "it's all the same anyway".
There's that, but my gut also tells me that that the old guard would prefer to see the new rules used first on family members much lower down the line of succession. It's just very handy to set a precedent farther out of the public eye before someone as prominent as Harry does something that was prohibited for centuries.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
People on Twitter don't have to pay for shutting down the center of London.

Is it really necessary to shut down central London?

Other people marry in Westminster Abbey without causing massive traffic jams, etc.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As popular as Harry is, I think the public would be very disappointed to be excluded from the goings on around his wedding. They'll want to see the bridal couple coming and going from the church and the balcony scene and in general have a wonderful day to celebrate.

I do think its much further down the line then a lot of people are perhaps expecting but one thing for sure, like all members of the royal family before him that were expected to leave the single life behind and marry, Harry will be constantly followed until the ring is on her finger (whoever she may be) and then it'll be baby bump watch time and camping out at the hospital for the birth.

People in general love this kind of stuffs.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I still don't see Harry having a wedding like Williams regardless that he's the son of the PoW. It's her second wedding. Most generally when divorcee's re-marry they do not have big productions of it. It's usually considered in bad taste. Charles didn't even get married in a Church.

LaRae
Both Charles and Camilla had been married previous. They both had the big church wedding. This is totally a different situation. Harry has never been married before. Neither has children. Both are younger. You will find its not taboo for second weddings to be big now a days. Meghan hasn't had a church wedding, it wouldn't be unusual even if not to Harry, her scone wedding she wanted more formal. With Charles and Camilla there was also the shadow if how they started which was a deciding factor.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Is it really necessary to shut down central London?

Other people marry in Westminster Abbey without causing massive traffic jams, etc.

If you want carriages, the Household Calvary, Bearskin wearing Guardsmen and marching bands, 2000 guests including foreign royals and the entire BRF , you do.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

When we look at the Queen's children, Charles had the huge St Paul's wedding. A State occasion. Anne, Andrew and Edward all had smaller, 'lesser' weddings although still grand.

We can see the progression. I'm not suggesting Harry will get married in a tiny chapel by an Elvis impersonator but I don't think he will be given a wedding on the scale of William's just because his fans will have a meltdown if he doesn't' get it.

Just as Charles' wedding was the benchmark in the 80s, William's is the benchmark for today. I think all other weddings from here on out will be 'smaller' but still befitting the status of the individual.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

I'd be so curious to know how much speculative "just in case" planning has already been done for the possible future wedding for Prince Harry and what scope of celebration the powers that be may have already deemed appropriate.

It seems unlikely that there hasn't been at least some degree of thinking ahead of time about would be appropriate for the second son of the heir to the throne, perhaps since he reached adulthood. After all, he's in a tricky spot, currently being of lower rank than those who've had huge public event weddings but still one of the most visible and popular royals. Sorting out what makes the most sense from the financial and PR perspectives could be a lengthy process, but this family has a history of engagements that are really only long enough if you start hiring bakers, dressmakers and florists right away.

I imagine portfolios already prepared with options (big ceremony at the Abbey with procession to Buckingham Palace, private wedding at Windsor, smaller public affair in a city other than London, etc.) complete with pro/con lists and budget proposals. Because I'm sure the Queen wants to be able to decide quickly what parameters her grandson should be given as everyone shifts into wedding planning mode, and she'll need a lot of information to make the choice.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

People should never underestimate the costs. William was married at the height of his popularity and there were still some grumblings about the disruption of the bank holiday and the massive security costs for shutting down central London.

Charles coronation is expected to cost big bucks, so there is also that. Harry is popular, there is no doubt but there will be public comment as to why he needs a wedding on the same scale as William's given he is never going to be king.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
When we look at the Queen's children, Charles had the huge St Paul's wedding. A State occasion. Anne, Andrew and Edward all had smaller, 'lesser' weddings although still grand.
The difference between the state weddings, like Charles and Diana's, and those of Anne (her first one), Andrew and even Princess Alexandra seems almost just semantic, really. They didn't have the laundry list of diplomatic expectations in terms of who was or wasn't invited from other nations, there weren't as many subsidiary events surrounding the actual ceremony, but they still filled the Abbey, people still lined the streets by the thousands, and the wedding parties' drives back to the palace still shut down traffic. Those were still massive and costly public events. And the thing is, if people decide they want to line up tens deep to try for a glance of Harry and his bride, the only way the powers that be can control costs are to hold the wedding in a place where it's not really possible for people to gather. If a well-loved royal marries at Westminster, they really have no option but to put a massive. expensive crowd control strategy into place. So smaller has to mean a wedding in a more controlled environment, such as Windsor, or a smaller city, like the Duke of Kent's wedding in York.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
People should never underestimate the costs. William was married at the height of his popularity and there were still some grumblings about the disruption of the bank holiday and the massive security costs for shutting down central London.

Yes, but wouldn't the increase in tourism offset the costs?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

That is a great point...Meghan has never been married in a Church at all...Would her marriage even be seen as "Real" to the CofE since it wasn't in a church?...
Sorry not familiar with the rules of that church...

Closed Thread