The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Nobility

I would think for Meghan, slime ball reporters right now are the ones harassing her mother, trying to break into her home etc. Not Piers, who had a drink with her and a nice chat.

If Meghan arranged this meeting with Piers after 1 month of meeting Harry for the first time, with the mindset, that she will be officially dating Harry 5-6 months later, Harry would make a public statement like he's never made before, and Piers would write an article about meeting her, then wow, girl has talent. I need to contact her for the lottery numbers, because she can see into the future.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

We'll see. It's early days. One way or the other though, something will have to change if she and Harry become a serious item.

I'm willing to wager my last dollar this isn't going to end in marriage. Not because I don't want Harry to be happy but because Meghan's direction in life isn't compatible with The Firm's

Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Wonder what the Queen thinks about her?
Don't believe The Queen has met her, but, she knows Harry and Meghan are dating.

It's a bit far down the road, but, if things get really serious, Meghan will adjust her life and Harry will adjust his. That's all natural.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Wonder what the Queen thinks about her?
There is no way to know, but I don't think the Queen would get involved in Harry's private life anyway. After all, Harry is not in direct line to the throne and, now that William has 2 children already and might have more in the future, it is very unlikely that Harry will ever be king. I would be more concerned actually with Prince Charles' opinion about Meghan. As Harry's father and the future king, his opinion matters the most.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Nobility

I'm starting to think that no woman Harry finds attractive and is drawn to is compatible with the firm. The restrictions and limitations just are too much for most career women.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I'm starting to think that no woman Harry finds attractive and is drawn to is compatible with the firm. The restrictions and limitations just are too much for most career women.
The firm isn't as strict as it used to be. The family is far more understanding than people think. If Harry and Meghan go far and decide to take things to another level, the couple will adjust accordingly.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
We'll see. It's early days. One way or the other though, something will have to change if she and Harry become a serious item.

I'm willing to wager my last dollar this isn't going to end in marriage. Not because I don't want Harry to be happy but because Meghan's direction in life isn't compatible with The Firm's

She would obviously have to give up her current "direction in life", which is not really that tough. Grace Kelly did it when she married Rainier and she was a far more successful and well-known star than Meghan. To a certain extent , although the context is different, most modern royal brides like Máxima, Mary, Letizia,Charlene, etc. have given up their careers and way of life to marry their husbands.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

That's what I think...UNLESS she is to the point in her life (she is 35) that she wants to settle down and get married, have a family etc etc....and had already planned to reduce the amount of movies/shows to be involved in.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There is no way to know, but I don't think the Queen would get involved in Harry's private life anyway. After all, Harry is not in direct line to the throne and, now that William has 2 children already and might have more in the future, it is very unlikely that Harry will ever be king. I would be more concerned actually with Prince Charles' opinion about Meghan. As Harry's father and the future king, his opinion matters the most.

He still has to have permission from the Queen to marry as far as I know.

LaRae
Old 11-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The firm isn't as strict as it used to be. The family is far more understanding than people think. If Harry and Meghan go far and decide to take things to another level, the couple will adjust accordingly.
That's true. I think Harry wouldn't have pursued a relationship with Meghan if there was a hard brick wall against them long term. That statement he gave was a huge indication to me, that his plans with Meghan are very long term.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
He still has to have permission from the Queen to marry as far as I know.

LaRae
Yes, as long as he is among the first six persons in line to the throne (he's currently 5th) and Elizabeth II is the queen.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

As someone pointed out up thread, her biggest obstacle may be cultural. An American princess has a nice ring to it for some people but it will be interesting to see how she actually get's her mind around it.

To go from Meghan Markle media personality and 'social justice warrior' to HRH The Duchess of Sussex may require a decompression chamber to someone not born and raised singing God Save The Queen
Old 11-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As someone pointed out up thread, her biggest obstacle may be cultural. An American princess has a nice ring to it for some people but it will be interesting to see how she actually get's her mind around it.

To go from Meghan Markle media personality and 'social justice warrior' to HRH The Duchess of Sussex may require a decompression chamber to someone not born and raised singing God Save The Queen
good point. And also not being able to speak out in the same way she can now. being non-political, never showing bias is not easy.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Living in Canada may have made her aware of the Crown though, at least when she handles her coins and dollar bills. And, if Meghan ever became a Canadian citizen, which I suppose she has not, she would have to swear the oath of allegiance to the Queen and her heirs and successors according to law, which is something BTW that all those Americans now willing to flee from Trumpland and seek refuge in Canada might not be aware of.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think just living in Canada part time for 5 years erases the previous years of living as American where freedom of speech is engrained as a fundamental right. But as a Royal you give a lot of that freedom of speech up. You can't comment on government policies, no voting etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Other women who became royals have managed to adapt and adjust, however. I'm sure Marie of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Maxima of the Netherlands knew nothing about Royal protocol or the customs of their adopted countries when they first met their husbands. They even had to learn a new language.

So did Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, who was of Cuban descent and probably was ignorant of the culture and history of the country where she is now Grand Duchess. Grace Kelly left a mega career to settle down to Royal life in Monaco as well as having to communicate in French. So did Charlene. At least there won't be language difficulties in Meghan's case, IF she does end up marrying Harry. She may well learn things very quickly. And Maxima, at least, gives me the impression of being a strong and independent woman who wouldn't be afraid to speak out!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
That's true. I think Harry wouldn't have pursued a relationship with Meghan if there was a hard brick wall against them long term. That statement he gave was a huge indication to me, that his plans with Meghan are very long term.
It was a very strong and passionate statement. It's something the media and others weren't used to. They are used to statements William used to issue. Harry's thoughts and feelings were a bit more pronounced.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

good point. It's difficult. Leaving her career would be tough enough. It's not whether she's winning Academy Awards or not. It's the idea of going from an independent woman to some prince's wife. Then on top of that, having to tone down your feelings about important issues for fear of offending.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I don't think just living in Canada part time for 5 years erases the previous years of living as American where freedom of speech is engrained as a fundamental right. But as a Royal you give a lot of that freedom of speech up. You can't comment on government policies, no voting etc.
Well, she knew about poppies, didn't she ? So, she is not totally ignorant about British and Commonwealth traditions.

Personally, I always thought it would be politically convenient for Harry to marry a girl from a Commonwealth realm like Canada or Australia. An American who lives (part time) in Canada would not quite match my wish, but it would be close. More broadly speaking, although we have never had an American marrying into the royal family, there have been many examples of American women marrying British peers and getting settled in British society.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Other women who became royals have managed to adapt and adjust, however. I'm sure Marie of Denmark, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, Maxima of the Netherlands knew nothing about Royal protocol or the customs of their adopted countries when they first met their husbands. They even had to learn a new language.

So did Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, who was of Cuban descent and probably was ignorant of the culture and history of the country where she is now Grand Duchess. Grace Kelly left a mega career to settle down to Royal life in Monaco as well as having to communicate in French. So did Charlene. At least there won't be language difficulties in Meghan's case, IF she does end up marrying Harry. She may well learn things very quickly. And Maxima, at least, gives me the impression of being a strong and independent woman who wouldn't be afraid to speak out!
I do understand yr point of view. But they are not British with the British rules that bind. The recent comments by Queen Margrethe about what did or did not make someone Danish - that would be unacceptable in the UK.

Its more of a straight-jacket which applies to everyone, regardless of position in the hierarchy. And changing it will take yrs. Charles will probably try and not succeed (too soon after HMQs style). You cannot compare the lack of freedom in the UK with the freedom available to Euro royals

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I do understand yr point of view. But they are not British with the British rules that bind. The recent comments by Queen Margrethe about what did or did not make someone Danish - that would be unacceptable in the UK.

Its more of a straight-jacket which applies to everyone, regardless of position in the hierarchy. And changing it will take yrs. Charles will probably try and not succeed (too soon after HMQs style). You cannot compare the lack of freedom in the UK with the freedom available to Euro royals

I'm not quite convinced that the amount of freedom (or lack thereof) British royals have is that much different from continental royals. The main difference IMHO is that British royals are subject to greater media attention. But then, again, as Curryong said, moving to a foreign country like the Netherlands, Denmark, Monaco or Luxembourg, whose history and customs may be totally unknown to you, and having to learn a new, often difficult foreign language as an adult, must be far more intimidating than moving from the US or Canada to London.

Closed Thread