The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Something I don't understand is this : why are people talking ofracism ?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Lots of critizism on the statment and I agree that Harry is on a high horse for the unemployed 32 year old that he is.

MAC ON... Prince Harry and Meghan Markle* | Daily Mail Online
Prince Harry's an admirable chap but Meghan Markle is publicity hungry says SARAH VINE | Daily Mail Online
Then why not call him out on it, being an unemployed 32 old? Meghan is a very much working person, she's highly educated, and does a lot of humanitarian work. All this criticism is on her, not him.

That cartoon comes across misogynist and just simply not true. Her posting two bananas cuddling on her IG doesn't make her an attention seeker. The media got a bit backlash with Harry's statement, now they're going after Meghan from every direction they can to excuse the vile way they've already gone after her.

*I'm a new poster here, I just had to jump right into the convo after I saw that cartoon.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Nobility

Wow.. that cartoon is something else.

The DM is pulling a complete Alfred E. Neuman with their "What, me sexist?" while simultaneously publishing that charming bit of character assassination.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I wish them well but I don't see a woman like Meghan trapped in such an ancient institution for the next 40 years. It might be fun in the beginning, but, and Grace Kelly would probably agree, it won't last.

Katie Hopkins puts it to the point:
KATIE HOPKINS: Calm down Harry, everyone's delighted for you and Meghan Markle | Daily Mail Online

Grace Kelly were other times. Meghan is a leonine, that means a strong, confident, determined woman who loves challenges. I think it might very right.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

And who can predict what will happen in the next 40 years? Maybe neither Will and Kate will be together in 40 years
Old 11-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

The backlash over Harry standing up for the privacy and safety for his girlfriend is beyond dumb. Also, of course the British press will get upset over Harry bringing up race. They want to include all the racial undertones in their articles and reporting all they want and don't want anyone to have a problem with it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
As for her social media presence, it's pretty clearly curated to give a very specific view into her private life. Which means it's not really her private life, it's the portion of her private life she's willing to show.
I doubt the press will make any difference about portions of private life that Meghan wants or doesnt want to show.

To Dman - what is dumb about a backlash on Harry? For me it was a turning point when he left the military and became an expensive tourist/playboy.

Regarding Meghan, I have no problem with her as Harry's girlfriend at all and the racist abuse against her is horrible, what doesn't work for her or any other celebrity is that you can't chose when you are private or when you're not. Same applies to Harry and his letter won't change any of that.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I doubt the press will make any difference about portions of private life that Meghan wants or doesnt want to show.

To Dman - what is dumb about a backlash on Harry? For me it was a turning point when he left the military and became an expensive tourist/playboy.

Regarding Meghan, I have no problem with her as Harry's girlfriend at all and the racist abuse against her is horrible, what doesn't work for her or any other celebrity is that you can't chose when you are private or when you're not. Same applies to Harry and his letter won't change any of that.
Expensive tourist and playboy?

Are you calling his official duties in representing The Queen in the U.K. and abroad just an expensive tour?

Are you saying that a boyfriend worried about his girlfriends safety is wrong?

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Courtier

This stupid Boy! Why can't he just marry a nice girl like Princess Theodora?
"Tell me what kind of Girl you date and I tell you what kind of guy you are....."
Old 11-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Celebrities absolutely have the right to chose when to be private snd when not. They can draw the line at any time. It's THEIR life. Meghan can be an actress and not be ok with paparazzi chasing her whenever and wherever, harassing her family members etc. She has not once publicly spoken about her relationships, she hasn't in any way invited this into her life. Neither has Harry. This us the first time he has publicly stated that he has a girlfriend.

I personally praise Harry for his statement, what a public stance to take against bullying.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Expensive tourist and playboy?

Are you calling his official duties in representing The Queen in the U.K. and abroad just an expensive tour?
I should have said 'became for the most part an expensive tourist'.

Quote:
Are you saying that a boyfriend worried about his girlfriends safety is wrong?
No, I never said that.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

The more I think about the letter, the more I think this was a mistake. The British press isn't amused and will pay it back to him. It already started.
Their relationship should not have been exposed after just some month.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 11-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Nobility

I'd hardly say it's fair to call Harry an "expensive tourist." For all his talk at one time about taking on a regular, paying job, it's not really the most practical thing for a British royal to do, especially while also taking on some royal work as he does. I suspect he had a similar discovery to the one he had in the Army and tried to serve on the front lines. Him doing that job made a lot of other people's lives much more difficult and ultimately wasn't worth it.

So what has he done instead? He's founded a charity organization that stages rather complex international events; he does PR work as the face of the Invictus Games and seemingly does quite a bit of behind the scenes work with them, as well. He's involved himself with events and organizations that align with the goals of Invictus, such as the Arctic trek with injured soliders. He spends a big chunk of his summers doing hands-on volunteer wildlife/conservation work in Africa. He had his days of risque drinking games in fancy hotels, but that doesn't seem to be on his agenda anymore.

As for Meghan, she's got a degree in international relations and experience in exactly the sort of humanitarian PR work that is asked of royals. How many princesses by marriage to date have come to the job having already done something like it? She has an understanding of sharing a curated image of one's life on social media that, quite frankly, is more sophisticated than anything we've seen out of Buckingham/Clarence House/Kensington. Yes, what's best for an actress to choose as the particular slice of life shown is different than would be appropriate for a royal, but that's really not a hard switch to make. And let's be honest, as an actress she's approaching the age when jobs dry up without having the level of fame that makes it likely that she could be one of the few to continue getting offers of good scripts. The lifestyle site and fashion line seem to be signs that she's already developing a safety net for the day when acting gigs end for her, and the way she writes in her blog posts makes me think that the humanitarian work she's been doing satisfy her to a much greater degree than the business stuff does. So if this relationship were to prove to be the real thing, it may not be that hard for her to give up her current line of work -- and her web/fashion sidelines -- for a life of appearances and causes.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Let's just be respectful of Harry's personal love life. Also, let's be respectful of Miss Markle's privacy and safety. Let's not encourage the media in harassing her, her family and friends.

If people really care about Prince Harry, like they say they do, then let's give him and Miss Markle the space and time to carry out their relationship with peace. Let's not get ahead of ourselves in wedding talk and conversations about babies. We all know they're not on that path right now. Relationships must be given the chance and time to grow, and perhaps the "big steps" will occur down the line.

Yes, Miss Markle is of mix race and that's a beautiful thing, but that should not disqualify her from being Prince Harry's girlfriend. The media and royal watchers on the internet should reject any kind of racist articles, reports, undertones of any kind and commentary. Let's try not post anything that will garner attention to anything or anyone that produce such an offense.

Lastly, please remember Harry's brother and sister-in-law had the privacy of a college wall to protect them as their relationship got started and blossomed. Prince Harry and Miss Markle don't have that kind of advantage. So it's pretty important the media and folks online understand this couples position on privacy, safety and respect.

Dman

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
This stupid Boy! Why can't he just marry a nice girl like Princess Theodora?
"Tell me what kind of Girl you date and I tell you what kind of guy you are....."
By nice girl you mean princess I assume. Yes I mean I understand why a socialite soap actress is so much nicer. I mean education, humanitarian work, business means little. Being a nice girl is defined by the blood I your veins.

What would it say about hi if he dated her only because she is a princess. Thankfully Harry doesn't seem as shallow as some
Old 11-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

No, Harry isn't a shallow person. I have to confess though, that I now have mixed feelings about that statement.

I do think Harry was perfectly entitled to stick up for his girlfriend and her family, who were being harassed. The British tabloids always get up on their hind legs when put in the wrong. They play the "What us! We would never dream of doing anything like that", card and viciously bite back if they can. And of course, Meghan as an actress and blogger gives them the perfect opportunity.

So, PR wise a public written statement about press harassment might not have been the way to go. Perhaps a private phone call to editors by KP telling them that yes the romance was reasonably serious, but the Palace would very much appreciate it if they would cease the harassment, might have been a better route. Along with perhaps a promise of an interview later on in the year, or something.

This is not the best way to introduce a new girlfriend, and having the tabs in a tantrum with you and her isn't the greatest if anything serious develops later on, though I'm sure in the euphoria of an engagement this would be put on the back burner.

Harry was being chivalrous in his gesture and I'm sure was in distress. However, perhaps behaving impulsively in that way had consequences that weren't foreseen at the time.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree Curryong going in boots and all didn't leave the media a no fuss exit. Like you I think a third party talking to the media would have had a better outcome.
By a public dressing down of the press there will be a few that will just go harder

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, Harry isn't a shallow person. I have to confess though, that I now have mixed feelings about that statement.

I do think Harry was perfectly entitled to stick up for his girlfriend and her family, who were being harassed. The British tabloids always get up on their hind legs when put in the wrong. They play the "What us! We would never dream of doing anything like that", card and viciously bite back if they can. And of course, Meghan as an actress and blogger gives them the perfect opportunity.

So, PR wise a public written statement about press harassment might not have been the way to go. Perhaps a private phone call to editors by KP telling them that yes the romance was reasonably serious, but the Palace would very much appreciate it if they would cease the harassment, might have been a better route. Along with perhaps a promise of an interview later on in the year, or something.

This is not the best way to introduce a new girlfriend, and having the tabs in a tantrum with you and her isn't the greatest if anything serious develops later on, though I'm sure in the euphoria of an engagement this would be put on the back burner.

Harry was being chivalrous in his gesture and I'm sure was in distress. However, perhaps behaving impulsively in that way had consequences that weren't foreseen at the time.
People will get over his letter, just a long ad they got the message of the importance of privacy for this young lady and stop the racial undertones in their articles.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I haven't read all the press about this so maybe I have missed things but I can't say I have seen any racist articles. Maybe in the comments which I never read but that's just the crazies

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
That's what the royal press offices have a history of doing with the British publications, and it works in large part because there's a long-standing relationship between the parties, but I can't see how that was an option in this instance. The issue this time isn't the British publications so much as the North American freelance paparazzi machine. They don't have any ability to call those dogs off quietly.

Another wrinkle that has to be considered: freelance paparazzi get paid substantially more than usual when they can offer proof of something really big that's previously been unconfirmed or denied. As long as we didn't know for sure if they were a couple, the money the photogs could have gotten for some kind of evidence would have been way beyond the usual paparazzi paycheck, and that potential payout was more than enough motivation for them to cross a lot of lines in hounding her and her family. Now that we all know that the relationship is real, what's potentially available to them is worth a smaller payout. There's less incentive to go beyond the usual following someone around to take pictures in public places, which is the level of attention royal girlfriends just have to either take in stride or opt for a breakup.

This is altogether a different equation than when Diana or Kate or Cressida or Chelsey were followed by the British press. It calls for a different approach from Kensington Palace. I'm not positive they've contained their problem, but I can't really see a better choice for them to have made than issuing that statement.