The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, we shall see. There are have been other articles out this week in the tabs that have called Kate bland and stated that Meghan is exactly what the Royal family needs.

Uh-oh...remember when the same thing was said about Fergie?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry should really start sending Emily Andrews a weekly stipend.

Ultimately Britain is a country of snobs. Every conversation is either about the weather or 'what's your father's name' . Where you're from is how people define you.

Emily Andrews thinks that a a mixed-race American divorcee, with a bankrupt dad, dreadlocked yoga teacher mum and family outcasts such as estranged half-sister Samantha Grant, who has called her a “pushy social climber”. is just what the royal family needs to keep it relevant, then maybe she's had grassy lunch.

Funny, when It was blondes and aristos Emily Andrews thought that was best for the the royal family. Now it's an American divorcee. She seems like Harry's mouthpiece.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Talk about stigmatising an entire nation! I'm British-born and I'm certainly not snobbish. Britain has many ethnic minorities and foreigners living there. They don't all dislike bi-racial people. Most respond to warmth and heart and energy and enthusiasm wherever the person comes from.

Emily A certainly isn't Harry's mouthpiece. Far from it. She does respond to his warmth, enthusiasm and sense of fun, however. As do a great many members of the public all over Britain and the Commonwealth.

And people who attack this beautiful and accomplished, hard working and articulate woman, and her family are OK are they? Her mother teaches yoga therapy. She has a job, and a Masters degree in Social Work. Who cares about the dreadlocks! Meghan's father, who must be of retirement age, was an admired TV lighting director. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I think Meghan is great. She double majored in Theatre and International Relations, worked as an intern for a while at the US embassy in Buenos Aries and can speak Spanish.

As for being a divorcee so are Andrew, Anne and Charles and Camilla. No novelty there! think she will be a great asset to the BRF and Harry will be lucky to have her. We will see, IF she and Harry marry, just how terrific she will be, Im sure of it.. (Love her fashion sense as well.)
Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

There doesn't have to be anything 'wrong' with it to invite public comment. Nothing wrong with anything the Middletons did either. Hard working and self-made.

Now it's Meghan's family turn to be disected and commented on. Just like what would happen to any girl Harry dates.

It's great you've embraced egalitarianism Curryong. I remember you used to be quite the class warrior.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Courtier

Harry is in the very happy position of now having two wee babes, along with Wills between him and the throne, but still a senior royal, so he can pretty much marry who he likes! And Meghan could just be the girl (Knew there had to be a bit of Irish there with that name)!

Married before? So what?! So is his step mother!

I think she would be an absolute asset to the RF, maybe even liven Kate up a bit! It doesn't have to be so serious all of the time!
Old 11-06-2016, 12:00 PM

I think the problem is not who is Meghan, what she has done in her life and which are her origins. The problem is that the press is absolutely annoying, as Harry said in an interview he really can't speak with a girl that happens to be his future wife. Maybe we are arguing about Meghan and if she's suitable to be Harry's wife, and they don't even know each other.

PS: Sorry for my english, i'm italian. I'm doing my best
Old 11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Majesty

It matters zero comma zero which achievements Miss Markle probably has. No one is interested in that. In medialand (and is there a country which uses more vitriol to write someone down?) the traditional role still is to shut up and to be pretty, to know your place and not to upstage your royal husband, thanks to whom you made that social climb.

It is like the chauffeur in Downton Abbey, Branson, whom married one of the Earl's daughters. No matter how hard he did, he never became a real part of the family upstairs ánd he was looked down by his former colleagues downstairs.

That same systematic will work on Miss Markle, like it still works on the former Miss Middleton: girl, you are no Princess, you play you are a Princess. Yesterday you were Meghan-next-door and tomorrow we have to bow, or go to the knees and mumble "Royal Highness".

It is exactly this underlying feeling which causes that people get the feeling it is all vaudeville, theatre and that they are watching an expensive circus (from their taxpayers' money indeed).

That is why I keep stressing on maintaining a certain standard, on decorum, on distance and indeed, all to keep some mystique. I compare it with the Church of Rome: in an attempt to "modernize", in the 1960's they ended the traditional Mass in Latin, Gregorian hymns were swapped for poppy songs, priests turned their backs to the tabernacle to face the parish and laymen were invited to the priests' choir to do readings. Costly golden chalices were swapped for amateurish-looking stonework, vestments were laid down and replaced by sober frocks.

Result? With a never-seen speed the churches became empty. The Anglicans thought, hmmm.... "we have to modernize too" and allowed female priests and gay clergy. Result: the Church of England is on the verge of complete irrelevance.

Morale of the story: it is a wrong way of thinking that people want a royal family with a Meghan, Autumn or a Sarah. Every distance disappears. But still we are expected to wave to them on that balcony, to sink down our knees and see them wearing glittering diadems.

I for once hope that Prince Harry indeed will find a lovely lady. And for the core sake of the monarchy I hope it will be a lady from a more traditional "pool" indeed.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think the combination of both 'divorced' and 'american' is not ideal to join the BRF, too many bad memories.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
She doesn't have a degree in international relations. Per the Hollywood Reporter she graduated from Northwestern's school of communication where international relations isn't a program in that school. Acting is.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Actually, the Northwestern International Studies program is an adjunct major, which means there's no standalone degree in it, but it can be added to any offered major. From the website:

"Students in any undergraduate school of the University may elect the Adjunct Major in International Studies."
Undergraduate:  International Studies Program - Northwestern University

She has a Communications degree with a double major: Theatre & International Studies.

I'll be interested to see what she brings to the table in terms of the creation of a public persona vs private person. I tend to think that, as someone who's been trying to create that balance for a number of years, she's actually very well suited to that aspect of the monarchy, should the relationship with Harry go long term.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe that she's smart, capable, caring and media savvy. Plus she says one of her nicknames is Nutmeg, which is adorable.

Nothing I've seen indicates to me that she'd be anything other than a credit to the RF.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It matters zero comma zero which achievements Miss Markle probably has. No one is interested in that. In medialand (and is there a country which uses more vitriol to write someone down?) the traditional role still is to shut up and to be pretty, to know your place and not to upstage your royal husband, thanks to whom you made that social climb.

It is like the chauffeur in Downton Abbey, Branson, whom married one of the Earl's daughters. No matter how hard he did, he never became a real part of the family upstairs ánd he was looked down by his former colleagues downstairs.

That same systematic will work on Miss Markle, like it still works on the former Miss Middleton: girl, you are no Princess, you play you are a Princess. Yesterday you were Meghan-next-door and tomorrow we have to bow, or go to the knees and mumble "Royal Highness".

It is exactly this underlying feeling which causes that people get the feeling it is all vaudeville, theatre and that they are watching an expensive circus (from their taxpayers' money indeed).

That is why I keep stressing on maintaining a certain standard, on decorum, on distance and indeed, all to keep some mystique. I compare it with the Church of Rome: in an attempt to "modernize", in the 1960's they ended the traditional Mass in Latin, Gregorian hymns were swapped for poppy songs, priests turned their backs to the tabernacle to face the parish and laymen were invited to the priests' choir to do readings. Costly golden chalices were swapped for amateurish-looking stonework, vestments were laid down and replaced by sober frocks.

Result? With a never-seen speed the churches became empty. The Anglicans thought, hmmm.... "we have to modernize too" and allowed female priests and gay clergy. Result: the Church of England is on the verge of complete irrelevance.

Morale of the story: it is a wrong way of thinking that people want a royal family with a Meghan, Autumn or a Sarah. Every distance disappears. But still we are expected to wave to them on that balcony, to sink down our knees and see them wearing glittering diadems.

I for once hope that Prince Harry indeed will find a lovely lady. And for the core sake of the monarchy I hope it will be a lady from a more traditional "pool" indeed.
Hear hear! I could not agree more. It is all a big IF but I think Meghan is just not the type of person that will fit into the role as senior member of the Royal Family. We will see but I predict trouble. All that talk about bringing the Royals closer to the public and make the Royal Family more relevant. The Monarchy is an ancient institution and I like the people in it to look up to. There has to be distance otherwise it is just like watching the Kardashians to me. Criticise me all you want but that is how I feel.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

We'll see if she's a team player. As an actress her first instinct is to play to the limelight and in Hollywood that's all well and good but in the BRF she will have to learn fast that not all press is good press.

I do think they are dating but I'll have to see her walking down the aisle before I'll believe marriage rumours.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry, but if Harry is in love with her, nothing will stop him from marrying her. It will be as a prince of Sweden who married a girl who was not within the antiquated requirements of monarchy
Old 11-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

One thing I don't like is how talky her family is.

The relationship has just begun and already her sister is calling her 'pushy' and her nephew telling the tabloids Harry is head over heels for her. Hopefully that ends soon.

For now a simple no comment should suffice.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But what is "traditional"? Do you mean "white"? I cannot help but wonder if Miss Markle was white would there even be such a discussion.
√ She is an educated woman with a college degree.
√ She is from a middle-class family.
Those 2 points alone describe the last individual to marry into the BRF.
-She is divorced- well the reality is that several members of the BRF are divorced and have remarried.
Her profession as actress- well being an actor is a not a crime in fact Harry's last girlfriend was pursuing an acting career.
Her nationality - well what's wrong with her being American. It is not as though she is from a country is anti-British. The USA and Britain have a loooong history of good relations.

So again, what is the problem with Miss Markle? The only "nontraditional" thing about her is her skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Hear hear! I could not agree more. It is all a big IF but I think Meghan is just not the type of person that will fit into the role as senior member of the Royal Family. We will see but I predict trouble. All that talk about bringing the Royals closer to the public and make the Royal Family more relevant. The Monarchy is an ancient institution and I like the people in it to look up to. There has to be distance otherwise it is just like watching the Kardashians to me. Criticise me all you want but that is how I feel.
From what we know of Miss Markle she seems like a team player with a sense of duty and commitment to social issues.
She is smart, hardworking, and seems like she has a fun and outgoing personality based on her lifestyle page and Instagram account .
That sounds exactly like someone people could and should look up to.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Majesty

All this hoopla for a woman who maybe is dating Harry. What will happen if an engagement is announced? Funny how the conparisons have been already started, specially by some members who critisize her family as "talky" ( which they seem to talk much by the way) but have no problem with Piopa or James making propaganda for their business... Just saying that if one wants to draw conparisons at least be Fair...

I like Meghan for what is worth. Totally different from Chelsy and Cressida and in a positive way.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But what is "traditional"? Do you mean "white"? I cannot help but wonder if Miss Markle was white would there even be such a discussion.
√ She is an educated woman with a college degree.
√ She is from a middle-class family.
Those 2 points alone describe the last individual to marry into the BRF.
-She is divorced- well the reality is that several members of the BRF are divorced and have remarried.
Her profession as actress- well being an actor is a not a crime in fact Harry's last girlfriend was pursuing an acting career.
Her nationality - well what's wrong with her being American. It is not as though she is from a country is anti-British. The USA and Britain have a loooong history of good relations.

So again, what is the problem with Miss Markle? The only "nontraditional" thing about her is her skin color.

By "traditional" you'll find Duc means "a member of a foreign royal family or at worse some English noble's daughter."

If Duc had his way, William would have married Madeleine of Sweden, while Harry would be engaged to Alexandra of Luxembourg (who of course would be converting to Anglicanism).
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Serene Highness

The way I see it, *if* they are dating, it won't last long. I can see a women from the UK maybe agreeing to marry Harry as she was raised in that culture and has been desensitized to it. But no way an American woman will put up with that bullish*t for long. Especially, one like Meghan who has an established life/career/family/friends in North America. She would be sacrificing way more than Diana/Camilla/Catherine/Fergie/Sophie.

I can see two scenarios here.

1. This is just a fling, and an amused Meghan knows that the media is going crazy over a storm in a teacup. But if it gets her more name recognition for future roles, then she's willing to briefly tolerate the tabloids.

2. She's infatuated with Harry and thinks they may have a future together, but will soon come to her senses, and realize that she stepped into a tabloid land-mine. And as fun as her brief romance with Harry has been he's not worth sacrificing her privacy and dignity. She'll dump Harry and write it all off as a misadventure.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry is a lucky man dating Meghan Markle says Camilla Tominey | Camilla Tominey | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

In a year's time everyone will be saying 'remember that Meghan one Harry used to date'

It's impossible for the tabloids to view anything in a rational manner. Everything must be on fast-forward.

Harry meets a girl so obviously they're getting married soon. No wonder Chelsey and Cressida couldn't cope.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think the combination of both 'divorced' and 'american' is not ideal to join the BRF, too many bad memories.
Why not?

After all the next Queen Consort is a divorcee as is the next King!

Harry is no where near the throne; if the next King can marry who he likes surely his second son should have the same freedom?! Please!