The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Majesty

You could be right. But I have to believe Harry is not a complete idiot and will eventually see through her if she is enjoying her place in the spotlight a little too much.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
... Lady Melissa Percy, the daughter of the Duke of Northumberland.
As I recall, Missy and other aristocratic friends also regularly visited clubs until her marriage. She was and presumably still is, also a friend of Harry's. George, her brother, was a friend of Pippa Middleton.
Actually I half expected to hear that Harry had hooked up with wild child Missy after her divorce.
Lady Melissa Percy frolicks with Otis Ferry on quad bikes in Northumberland | Daily Mail Online
But perhaps the Wales/Cambridge close friendship w/ her ex, Tom Straubenzee, precluded that happening.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Majesty

What..the Northumberland girl is divorced already??

I thought she just got married???

After reading the article about the "noble" Percy ladies...no thanks. Harry can do much better.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What..the Northumberland girl is divorced already??

I thought she just got married???

No thanks. Harry can do much better.

Yes, both she and her sister had very brief marriages! Yet the Percys have the bluest of blue blood... So much for Harry marrying an aristocrat, like that is some guarantee.

(At least if the current crop of royal marriages don't work out, they have only themselves to blame, they can't say they were forced into it).
Old 11-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Other than outing herself to the press on her alleged relationship with Harry, can someone please provide me with evidence that Meghan is seeking press attention, other than the instagram shot about the bananas.

Unless I am mistaken, when a series and/or television premieres most actors have more media scheduled appearance to promote their most recent show/film.

Also, I am not in the fashion industry but how far in advance does it take for a fashion line to be in the works? I assume its at least six months in advance right? And you usually take pics of said line to be published before its released? So she didn't just take this pictures last week?

I don't Meghan personally and maybe she is not a nice person, I am just weary of her being bashed for doing her job.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Also, I am not in the fashion industry but how far in advance does it take for a fashion line to be in the works? I assume its at least six months in advance right? And you usually take pics of said line to be published before its released? So she didn't just take this pictures last week?

There was an interview with Meghan in the Globe and Mail published in a April that discussed the line which was then in development (it's just being released this week).

She's been an ambassador for Reitmans (which is a large brand/chain in Canada) for about a year now - I think the first commercial for them was released September 2015.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle29695988/
Old 11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Didn't take the DM long to play the family Card

Quote:
They have been said to have found much in common in their nascent romance, from doing yoga together to partying at an exclusive private members' club.

But the contrasts in Prince Harry and his rumored new girlfriend Meghan Markle's family backgrounds could hardly be starker.

On the one hand are ancestors whose empire stretched across vast portions of the globe, lived glamorous lives in palaces and were instantly recognizable to billions.

On the other is a family whose roots in the American South tell much of the struggle of the United States to come to terms with the legacy of slavery, and the divided society which grew up in its aftermath.

Markle, the 35-year-old Suits actress, has spoken of her pride in her mixed-race heritage and that her ancestors include slaves.
Meet the family, Harry! How new girl's ancestors were working hard in racially-fractured Jim Crow South when his were ruling the British Empire | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

I honestly don't see what all the backlash is about- I'm assuming it's mostly to do with her race, but also possibly the fact that she's American, that she's divorced, that she's an actress, etc.

I hadn't ever heard of her, so I wouldn't say that she's an A-Lister by any means here in the US. However, just reading her biography gave me a pretty positive opinion: she's well-educated, and seems hard-working and very passionate about social and political issues. If there in a relationship, it could just be another short-term to a couple of years relationship, or it could be something lasting. And what if it is? Being a royal would give her the opportunity to pursue those social passions on a greater scale, and continue doing good in the world.

People seem to be quite bothered about the fact that she's mixed race, but... REALLY. It's the 21st century! Aren't we past that by now?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

That's not really different from Carole's coal mining roots stories we saw with W&K.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I have always found it a shame that Kate has yet to find something that really gets her and is something that she wants to fight for. Mental health is shared with her husband and brother-in-law, it's not something that is entirely her. Not in the way micro-financing is Màxima's, or education for girls is Mary's.
This is way OT, of course, but Maxima is the Queen, and Mary is married to the heir.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Harry's new love interest slammed Donald Trump as 'misogynistic' during a TV interview and threatened to leave America if he becomes president.

Meghan Markle, 35, who stars in legal drama Suits, voiced her strong opposition to the Republican nominee while appearing on the Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore on May 4.

Protocol dictates that members of the British Royal family must remain politically impartial.

But the actress - who is not quite in the royal fold yet - tore into Trump, branding him a divisive misogynist
\read more: Harry's new girl's contempt for 'misogynist' Trump revealed as she says she backs Clinton for president and would quit the States for Canada if he wins | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although I do find it silly that people can still be stuck in the medieval era mindset about who is appropriate or not depending on their bloodlines, their ethnicity, their education or their previous involvements in life, the more I think about it, the more I think Meghan just might be what the doctor ordered for the British monarchy.

Living in an instant global society, I would think that having a member of the royal family that has the background that Meghan has would be more of a positive aspect than a negative one. We're far beyond the times where anyone on this planet is actually "better" than someone else and with the BRF needing to seem relevant to today's world, a more diverse royal family would become more identifiable to the people.

This all actually would be just a perk. What is most important is how Harry and Meghan feel about each other, how they work together as a team and how strong they can be against no matter what life throws at them.

We'll just have to wait and see. They may only be enjoying each company for now and its nothing serious. I expect Harry to keep his private life as much under the radar as possible and that's the way it should be.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
........People seem to be quite bothered about the fact that she's mixed race, but... REALLY. It's the 21st century! Aren't we past that by now?
No not any more than people are past the class system. There are people here who openly discriminate against 'commoners' that dare raise their eyes to a royal person.

Prejudice and discrimination comes in all types of forms. Ethnic, religious, social standing/class, etc etc.

LaRae
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

The show on Comedy Central, which has since been cancelled, in which Meghan Markle expresses her political opinions, was filmed months ago when Bernie Sanders and Hillary were still fighting it out. Of course, if Meghan joined the royal family she would have to keep such opinions to herself. However, until then, (if it does,) then I like the fact that she has views and isn't afraid to express them coherently.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
[...] her bloodlines (like the human race are a bunch of horses). [...]
But you are a regular visitor to a forum which is all about a system for centuries characterized by "bloodlines" anyway. In a vain attempt to "modernize", all requirements seems to have gone and it will only erode the core fundament of what royalty (or aristocracy) means. After all: if they want to "modernize" they should start to advocate a system in which free citizens have a free choice to elect their own democratic head of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
[...] There are people here who openly discriminate against 'commoners' that dare raise their eyes to a royal person. [...]
Why do you not make the conclusion that Europeans should bring their monarchies down? After all: aren't these monachies the ultimate discrimination against every "commoner" ?

I am also interested in how you see Queen Elizabeth, heavily bejewelled and in ermine robes, summoning the House of "Commons" (sic!) to hear her speaking in the House of Lords? And in that room, the Lords and Ladies are seated in their parliamentary robes, while the "Commons" stand humbly, in their sweaty wrinkly polyester suits, in the door opening...
Old 11-05-2016, 03:48 AM
Majesty

Shane Watson: Prince Harry has gone over to the Dark Side
Old 11-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Meghan marries Harry , will she also threaten to quit the UK when a Tory government is elected ? Will she publicly support the Labour Party because it is better aligned to her activist agenda ? That is exactly the point I was making before about Meghan possiby having trouble adjusting to the imperative of political neutrality of the Crown (even if she's right about Trump....)
Old 11-05-2016, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If Meghan marries Harry , will she also threaten to quit the UK when a Tory government is elected ? Will she publicly support the Labour Party because it is better aligned to her activist agenda ? That is exactly the point I was making before about Meghan possiby having trouble adjusting to the imperative of political neutrality of the Crown (even if she's right about Trump....)

Oh, people always say they'll leave the country if a certain candidate is elected!

It's just something they say, they never really do it.
(Honestly, I wish they would! But they won't. It's posturing).
Old 11-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

That tv appearance was from early May 2016. She would have just met Harry if we go by the Toronto visit as the initial meeting theory. You can not hold her to the Royal rules immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
.....why do you not make the conclusion that Europeans should bring their monarchies down? After all: aren't these monachies the ultimate discrimination against every "commoner" ?

I am also interested in how you see Queen Elizabeth, heavily bejewelled and in ermine robes, summoning the House of "Commons" (sic!) to hear her speaking in the House of Lords? And in that room, the Lords and Ladies are seated in their parliamentary robes, while the "Commons" stand humbly, in their sweaty wrinkly polyester suits, in the door opening...

I'm not European or from a country that has royalty, so it's not my place to tell the people who live under monarchies or pseudo-monarchies they should get rid of their royals. That's their business.

My comment, you quoted, was referring to the posters here who have made comments about royals marrying 'down' or beneath them or 'not suitable'.. as if a person being born into a certain family made them somehow superior to anyone else.

LaRae

Closed Thread