The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Personally, I would think HM and the DoE would be over the moon and sentimental to the nth degree should Harry and Meghan announce their engagement on their 70th wedding anniversary. For them, I think it would be icing on the anniversary cake.

Harry and Meghan wouldn't overshadow the 70th anniversary but rather enhance it. November 20th would continue on into posterity as a romantic day of the year.
Wow, that's a really lovely way of looking at it @Osipi! You have such a nice and generous-hearted spirit and positive outlook.

I think Meghan seems to be generous of spirit, upbeat and positive too in her outlook, which is likely one of the reasons why Prince Harry fell in love with her.

I guess we will be waiting until we find out. But it does make sense that we probably won't hear anything official until after Meghan's Suits commitments are completely wrapped.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

The key dates I am looking at are Meghan's birthday, Harry's birthday or the 70th anniversary day. I believe Harry and Meghan are that sentimental to do such a thing.
I think it is very possible they could get engaged and allow Meghan to wrap up the season of Suits with lots of security know doubt!

Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think an engagement before Suits wrapped up wouldn't be considered feasible by either Harry or Meghan. Once an engagement is announced, it will be expected that Harry and Meghan actively appear together in public and should she still be filming for Suits, it would most likely really disrupt the work being done around the studio with all the attention clamoring for Meghan because of her engagement.

I think Meghan is professional enough to not wish to disrupt something that she has worked on since the series began and would hold off on anything relating to her private life being announced until her commitment to Suits was finished.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Personally, I would think HM and the DoE would be over the moon and sentimental to the nth degree should Harry and Meghan announce their engagement on their 70th wedding anniversary. For them, I think it would be icing on the anniversary cake.

Harry and Meghan wouldn't overshadow the 70th anniversary but rather enhance it. November 20th would continue on into posterity as a romantic day of the year.
I'm afraid I don't share your sentiment. If Harry and Meghan (or Eugenie and Jack) announced their engagement on E&P 70th wedding anniversary I would find it incredibly tacky. To reach a 70th anniversary is very rare, a couple who accomplishes that deserves to have the family spotlight for the day. It would also look like H&M or E&J were arrogantly equating their love with that of their grandparents.

Thankfully, I believe Harry and Eugenie have too much respect for their grandparents to pull such a stunt. Though it would make the drama loving tabloid writers squeal in excitement.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Nobility

I totally agree miss whirley.

Honestly, I hate that the press is resorting to made up click bait. If there's nothing to report, then no story needed. Stay silent on the matter. I realize that clicks = revenue, and I wish that they would get no clicks from these clearly made-up, patched together stories. Journalism is losing its integrity for a reason, and I'm not just talking about the tabloid media.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Majesty

Just to clarify, my opinion of announcing an engagement on November 20th, the 70th anniversary of the Queen and the DoE's wedding was solely my own opinion and wasn't "out there in cyberspace" anywhere to be click bait.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
No way are they going to elope...those types of articles are not worth even reading.

ITA with Osipi, he's going to want to share that day with his family/friends.

LaRae
I totally agree. Harry is going to want to share with the world his love for this woman if they get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Exactly! M&H are very admirable in how they are conducting their relationship. The worthless media just won't get a clue and clean up their act. There is a way for the media to act more responsibly and professionally, but journalism these days is practically 'deader than a doornail.'

:
No truer words have been spoken.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I could see him perhaps proposing on granny's 70th. But waiting to announce it a few days later. Allowing the sentiment of the day, with granny's approval of course, but without sharing the spotlight. The day he proposes is far more special for the couple anyways then when announced to world. Perhaps inviting her to be there with them, first famiky event, as a way to propose. Who knows.

But standing by no proposal until late November earliest. Filiming ends then.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Nobility

If there is to be an engagement, I agree that it will not happen until filming is completed. I think it would be preferable if the season is finished airing before an engagement announcement, but understand that may not be realistic. However, I do believe the only way MM would be welcome at official celebrations around the 70th anniversary would be as an official fiancee', so if Harry were to insist on her being there, an engagement would have had to happen and be made public. And then we circle back to no proposal/official engagement until filming ends, which is after the anniversary. Who knows

Osipi - I hope my previous comment did not make you think I thought you were repeating what you read in click bait articles. They were 2 different issues on my part, and you were perfectly clear. You're also not the type of poster who repeats such nonsense
Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I was thinking more a private event. I am not sure if there is a public celebration planned for the anniversary, but likely a family get together. I agree, no official famiky event until officially engaged.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Harry is not going elope. He is a royal and a very popular one at that even more so than his brother!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Majesty

One thing I've learned in life is to say "never say never". Harry very well could up and decide that he and Meghan would just hop a plane to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator. Its illogical to think that he would actually do that but its within the realm of possibility. They could do this and be secretly wed now for all we know. Then again, I could be watching too many reruns of "Frasier" on the tube.

What would remain is that most likely an elopement would be just that. A personal exchange of vows between two people. As a royal and to perhaps be "legally wed" in the church and in the registers, they would have another "big" church wedding with all the trimmings in the UK.

We've seen it often enough that a couple will have a civil wedding somewhere and then later have the church wedding. I believe Albert and Charlene of Monaco did something similar.

Just odd thoughts here.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
One thing I've learned in life is to say "never say never". Harry very well could up and decide that he and Meghan would just hop a plane to Vegas and get married by an Elvis impersonator. Its illogical to think that he would actually do that but its within the realm of possibility. They could do this and be secretly wed now for all we know. Then again, I could be watching too many reruns of "Frasier" on the tube.
Of course, if Harry married Megham secretly he would be forfeiting his succession rights and those of future descendants born of his marriage with Meghan.

The process of consenting to a royal marriage is actually quite involved. As mentioned in the official explanatory notes to the Succession of the Crown Act, the (unwritten) convention is that the Queen should inform the government first of the proposed union and then seek advice from her ministers prior to signifying her consent in a formal meeting of the Privy Council as required by law for marriages of the first six persons in line to the throne.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought the ones who did civil first was because it was required by law to do it that way in their countries...I think France and Germany require it.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I thought the ones who did civil first was because it was required by law to do it that way in their countries...I think France and Germany require it.

LaRae
Belgium and the Netherlands certainly do. Both W-A / Máxima and Philippe /Mathilde were already married in a civil ceremony prior to the religious wedding service.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

So more than a couple of countries have this requirement then. Interesting.

LaRae
Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Nobility

I just think the 'elopement' nonsense is cooked up and possibly planted by those (whether royal fans or outsider-insiders in the royal firmament) who have not warmed up to Meghan, and who have an interest in dismissing her importance as a prospective royal bride deserving of royal treatment. Or else, the non-story is pure tripe dreamed up by tabloids and regurgitated nonsensically.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Of course its all cooked up by a media that has absolutely nothing else to report.

If the Queen and the Privy Council has already given their blessing for Harry to go ahead with the proposal, who's to say they couldn't or wouldn't want their own "private" wedding first for just the two of them. The Queen would most likely be in on the whole thing and just maintain her silence and the big church wedding in the UK would be in the planning stages.

Not saying that this would ever happen in reality most likely but it *could* happen. If Harry and Meghan have been masters so far of keeping their relationship so private and under the radar, its plausible that these two could finagle a "private" wedding for just the two of them.

Stranger things have happened.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:

We've seen it often enough that a couple will have a civil wedding somewhere and then later have the church wedding. I believe Albert and Charlene of Monaco did something similar.

Just odd thoughts here.
Albert and Charlene had both a religious and a civil marriage ceremony because there is a strict separation of church and state. Neither recognizes the other ceremony so both are required to be legally married in the eyes of the state and the eyes of the church. This is true in Monaco and France, not sure where else.

ETA: Answered before I saw Pranter's answer upthread,
Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Majesty

I believe when Prince Harry does decide to marry, as a man in love and a full-time royal, he will want to show off the woman he loves and intends to share the rest of his life with to the UK and Commonwealth. An elopement smacks of something not quite up to scratch, not quite good enough.