The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
The strongest indication yet that the story about her trying on wedding dresses is total BS, is The Sun newspaper who initially ran the story on their front page have now taken down the article. The daily fail have also followed by taking theirs down also.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Meghan’s camp made a formal complaint. I guess writing that she has recently been trying on wedding gowns is crossing the line because not only is it clearly false but it suggests that a wedding is imminent. Unfortunately the damage has already been done & many other outlets are now carrying the same story.
To be fair, I think that, in this case, there was no foul play on the part of the press, but rather an honest misunderstanding.

Keep in mind that, e.g. in the US and, I believe also in the UK, for a libel claim to succeed in the courts, it is not sufficient to prove that something false was published. It is also to demonstrate that there was malicious intent (in the US) or reckless disregard for the truth (in the UK). Maybe a lawyer can explain it better.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
To be fair, I think that, in this case, there was no foul play on the part of the press, but rather an honest misunderstanding
There was nothing honest about this report. If their source was genuine then the article wouldn't have been taken down in less than 24 hrs. Their objective was not for the truth but just to get the clicks.

This story was far fetched from the start. It is inconceivable that Meghan knowing the eyes of the world are on her would walk into a public store to try on wedding gowns in full view of everyone. In the event that H&M got married her dress would be custom made & not off the rack.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Commoner

The wedding dress story from The Sun has been removed. So yeah the story is rubbish. Cheers Gossip Cop!

https://www.gossipcop.com/meghan-markle-not-try-on-wedding-dresses-fake-news/
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There was nothing honest about this report. If their source was genuine then the article wouldn't have been taken down in less than 24 hrs. Their objective was not for the truth but just to get the clicks.

This story was far fetched from the start. It is inconceivable that Meghan knowing the eyes of the world are on her would walk into a public store to try on wedding gowns in full view of everyone. In the event that H&M got married her dress would be custom made & not off the rack.
My assumption is that they were somehow tipped off about the old videos of Meghan trying wedding dresses for Suits and didn't do the necessary fact checking before running the story.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

^

I don't think the issue here is that they didn't fact check, but more about the fact that the Daily Fail is all about the click bait and doesn't give a crap about accuracy nor about neutrality.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Gentry

Gossipcop has more on the article being pulled citing legal reasons

https://www.gossipcop.com/meghan-mar...ses-fake-news/

In the original article a quote was directly attributed to Meghan. I guess this is one area where she can legally make a claim.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The tabs will do what they do best; lie and look for clicks. Royal watchers and other people online, must be careful with all the false info and reporting. It's hard to weed out the truth in some cases, but not this one. Unfortunately, with all this modern technology, false news can spread like a forest fire.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Reporting on this pair is simply a tissue of fabrications. For example, the quality (source) of DENIALS in the Gossip Cop blog report: "She also hasn’t been shopping at all,” an impeccable contact tells Gossip Cop."

Who does not shop at all? Not even a call in for take out or lettuce to be delivered?

Notice that GC speaks to a CONTACT rather than a SOURCE. With that language, they could call me and ask what H and M are up to and I could lie through my teeth with a lovely whopper.

Impeccable - I think not!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
To be fair, I think that, in this case, there was no foul play on the part of the press, but rather an honest misunderstanding.

Keep in mind that, e.g. in the US and, I believe also in the UK, for a libel claim to succeed in the courts, it is not sufficient to prove that something false was published. It is also to demonstrate that there was malicious intent (in the US) or reckless disregard for the truth (in the UK). Maybe a lawyer can explain it better.
Keep in mind that this is just one of many stories the tabloids have printed that have been false. Are we to assume now that the poor tabloids don't know how to check sources? Isn't that what media are supposed to do, are they that incompetent, perhaps they should stop publishing if they can't get simple facts correct?

Tabloids have trolled Meghan's social media accounts and written numerous articles, printed endless stupid 'look away Harry' stories using clips from Suits and other shows that Meg has appeared in, but this one was a misunderstanding? I don't think so. The misleading intent was there as has been for other articles, including recently saying Meg did a photoshoot to get ready for the coming summer season when the photos were released and already printed in a magazine and were online last year. Tabloids got their hits and clicks that's all they care about. Now other media are running the same wrong story and other people will talk about Harry's girl posing recently and flaunting wedding dresses when she did not do it.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Gossipcop has more on the article being pulled citing legal reasons

https://www.gossipcop.com/meghan-mar...ses-fake-news/

In the original article a quote was directly attributed to Meghan. I guess this is one area where she can legally make a claim.
As if Meghan would go into David's Bridal and try on 99 cent wedding gowns off the rack and talk about walking down westminster abbey in some unknown Canadian gown.....first of all she is American and would choose a REAL designer like Vera Wang or Marc Jacobs or choose an up and coming American designer like Michelle Obama did!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

She might, or, if/as she's marrying a British prince, she might go for a British designer. Or a Canadian one, if she saw a design she really loved. After all, the Emmanuels designed Diana's gown and they were unknowns at the time, so why not an unknown Canadian?
Old 07-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Nobility

One she is not Canadian and has not moral obligation to choose one. She would go with American or British.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Given that the designers she specifically mentioned as her favourite bridal designers are French, Greek, Lebanese, and French respectively, I don't think it's possible at this point to make definitive statements about who she would pick, should she choose to marry again. I like the fact that she's willing to look outside the stereotypical American designer box and appreciates a broad array of international fashion. Not surprising given the world view she's expressed.

Incidentally, ironically poor maligned David's Bridal does actually carry Vera Wang dresses.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think Meg will likely have a designer we never could think of. I don't think she's someone who will go along with a major name. I do hope for an engagement announcement soon though.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Here's an odd twist. Seeing as, in the past, Meghan has designed a clothing line for Reitman in Canada, is it so hard to believe that this talented woman couldn't design her own wedding dress when the time came?

I think its very possible that this is what could happen. She comes up with the design and finds people that can make her design into a reality. I think that would be a totally unique way to go for a totally unique wedding.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Did Harry buy this painting for Meghan? Was she the 'someone special' mentioned ?

Did Harry buy this painting to seal the deal with Meghan?
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have absolutely no clue who Harry might have bought that painting for but I have to say that I really like it. It doesn't matter who he bought it for but I do think Harry has good taste and if bought for Meghan, she's one lucky gal.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have absolutely no clue who Harry might have bought that painting for but I have to say that I really like it. It doesn't matter who he bought it for but I do think Harry has good taste and if bought for Meghan, she's one lucky gal.

I don't know...I think it is kind of cutesy.

But tastes differ, especially in art.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Return of the party prince! Harry drinks beer and snaps selfies as he enjoys The Killers in Hyde Park without girlfriend Meghan Markle

"Harry, 32, could be seen enjoying bottles of beer and snapping selfies with a pretty blonde friend"

Prince Harry at BST Festival in Hyde Park | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

The media will do this every time.

A concert in the park sounds fun. I haven't been to a concert in the park in years. Many summers ago in fact.

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread