The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Aristocracy

So, if Harry and Meghan decide to get married, would they do a Balmoral Scotland wedding for privacy, do a Peter Phillips at Windsor, a classic Abbey wedding, or.....

...elope?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
So, if Harry and Meghan decide to get married, would they do a Balmoral Scotland wedding for privacy, do a Peter Phillips at Windsor, a classic Abbey wedding, or........elope?
Would be my choice. Also, would be so pretty, especially if they did it in the wintertime in the snow!

If they did that their street cred would shoot up with me, anyway. Would set the tone for the privacy and normalcy Harry says he wants.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't it be something if they went the way of Pippa ..no cameras, private ceremony, except those cameras they kept at a distance??

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I love winter weddings. So romantic! I'm not so sure though that Harry is very fond of the cold, except for skiing. I think Harry's wedding will be televised. That's not necessarily the choice of bride and groom but because most Royal weddings are. It's more likely to be at Windsor's St George, IMO.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

HM got married in November. No reason for Harry to wait until Spring/summer 2018. It's not like those two are 20 years old, either.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course it will be televisied and will take place in W Abbey or somewhere in London. it will need to be a big church, and it will be a royal wedding.. that's if it takes place. he's not going to marry on a beach or in the snow.. He's a Prince and a working royal . he's not some random person marrying an actress. He and Meghan will have to fit in with the RF and be seen as working royals.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and Prince Philip's wedding was in a pre TV age though (at least in Britain.) For PR purposes a royal wedding has that feel good touch that advertisers, retailers, TPTB at the Palace like. For that you require warmer weather.

Crowds came out on the streets for the royal wedding in 1947 because devotion to the royal family had grown during the war, and because people were hardier then. Not too many Londoners and others would opt now for sitting on a blanket on icy pavements with nothing but a flask of hot tea to sustain them for hours and hours of waiting. Plus, as I've said, I have a suspicion that Harry is none too fond of cold himself!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

They broadcast the Queen's (then Princess Elizabeth) wedding on the radio though. That would of been interesting.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
How far we've come since the Queen got married eh?

I think a lot of how Harry's wedding will go actually will be up to Harry and Meghan themselves. I would put my money on the ceremony being televised with all the excitement that a royal wedding can drum up but the venue may be a totally different choice than Westminster Abbey. I'd put my money on the wedding being in Windsor. Maybe along the lines of the wedding Sophie and Edward had.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I remember the crackling radio, Richard Dimbleby's hushed tones very well, Pranter and Osipi. (Surely Dimbleby WAS given that job?) Just kidding! It would have been very interesting for those around Britain and the then Empire who couldn't get to London.

However, I'm a child of the age of the visual mediums and imagination can only go so far. I presume Pathe News was on the job filming the occasion, and people saw that at the cinema too.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
How far we've come since the Queen got married eh?

I think a lot of how Harry's wedding will go actually will be up to Harry and Meghan themselves. I would put my money on the ceremony being televised with all the excitement that a royal wedding can drum up but the venue may be a totally different choice than Westminster Abbey. I'd put my money on the wedding being in Windsor. Maybe along the lines of the wedding Sophie and Edward had.
why would it be in Windsosr in a smaller venue?? They wil have some input of course, but its a royal wedding not a private ceremony and they will have to fit in with what is advised by the RF's people. They certainly wont be in some small church in Windsor. Ed and Sophie's wedding was much smaller than usual because it was 1999 and soon after the Diana years and the idea was for the RF to slim things down and not be seen as being so extravagant.. and for Ed as the 4th Royal offspring to marry, to have a smaller ceremony. Harry is the second of 2 children of the future King. he's important in terms of royal duties.. and as such his wedding is not his own.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I wouldn't bet my money on that if I were you. But then again, we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time comes.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

OH well the sooner its settled and over with, the better... but I don't believe that will happen very soon.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
HM got married in November. No reason for Harry to wait until Spring/summer 2018. It's not like those two are 20 years old, either.
Meghan will work through most of November. I'd be surprised if a wedding even happens in Spring 2018.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Of course it will be televisied and will take place in W Abbey or somewhere in London. It will need to be a big church, and it will be a royal wedding. That's if it takes place. He's not going to marry on a beach or in the snow. He's a Prince and a working royal. He's not some random person marrying an actress. He and Meghan will have to fit in with the RF and be seen as working royals.
Don't be too certain what is coming. Harry has made clear that he and William will be 'modernizing' the monarchy, whatever that means to them.

We can pretty much suppose that Charles will carry on with the royal traditions as established by The Queen and further back, but William and Harry may unravel a lot of that in the context of 'modernizing' the institution. I'd say don't assume anything.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Don't be too certain what is coming. Harry has made clear that he and William will be 'modernizing' the monarchy, whatever that means to them.

We can pretty much suppose that Charles will carry on with the royal traditions as established by The Queen and further back, but William and Harry may unravel a lot of that in the context of 'modernizing' the institution. I'd say don't assume anything.
I can't blame William and Harry for wanting to modernize the monarchy after learning some facts from this forum. Harry's wedding won't be his own, he and his future wife won't have much say about it at all. Reading, that his wife should walk behind him out of protocol etc. There must be many more issues that would make most people go wtf, and these things are protected by the 'royal protocol' tag, so they won't get questioned.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 AM
Nobility

Reading, that his wife should walk behind him out of protocol etc.
Where did you read that? In reading about Prince Harry for years now and seeing how he treats people he meets and interacts with them, IMO, I seriously doubt that he would want his wife to walk behind him, if anything she will be right at his side. What century are we living in today? He seems like a very loving and caring person who treats all with respect and kindness, walking behind him does not show that.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Being further away from the crown also gives Harry more leeway into having the kind of wedding he prefers. It'll still be a big deal as its definitely a royal wedding but I think we'll see more elements of a laid back nature to it.

One thing for sure, once the announcement hits the fan, Meghan most definitely would have or be in the process of setting up permanent residence in the UK. Another aspect that she'll have to deal with is the relocation of her fur babies to their new home. Interesting what she'll have to comply with.

United Kingdom Pet Passport - Current Dog and Cat Import Requirements
Thanks for sharing those UK pet transport requirements @Osipi. I'm upset that they have the nerve to target and ban Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes. Pitties are some of the nicest dogs ever. It's terrible people who do cruel things to these dogs who need to be tarred and feathered and banned!!!

Plus, re the wedding talk, it seems to hold water that Queen Elizabeth might not be at the wedding if there is some issue of her being at a wedding of a person who is divorced and the divorced partner is still living. QE II did not attend Charles & Camilla actual ceremony, right? But she did attend later celebrations that day.

Still, on the other hand, I can't imagine QE II not attending her grandson Harry's wedding. I'm sure that personally she would want to be there. But in terms of royal protocol, what would be decided?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

The Church of England view has changed since Charles and Camilla married. It is quite OK for people to be married in the Church so long as there is no question mark over one or both committing adultery with the future partner while they were married to another. Harry did not interfere in Meghan's marriage. The Queen follows the views of senior clergy in this matter and that was the sticking point with regard to Charles and Camilla not marrying in a church ceremony. The Queen did attend the church blessing, I believe.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Majesty

MEGHAN MARKLE reportedly dumped her ex-boyfriend, Canadian chef Cory Vitiello, for Prince Harry.

Meghan Markle’s EX: Canadian chef Cory Vitiello was DUMPED for Prince Harry | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Closed Thread