The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Speaking of wedding guests, now we have a real conundrum. Most likely the Trudeaus will be issued an invitation. Will they be seated as friends of the bride or with the officials and dignitaries?

It actually is kind of silly to be drawing up a guest list at this point but I guess that's all part of the fun speculation as to where this romance is going. As far as inviting the Markle side of the family, for all we know, Meghan could have a very forgiving nature and not feel right leaving them out. If anyone could understand the public and the press and 15 minutes of fame, I think Meghan would.

As someone has pointed out, with all that crap being flung at Meghan and about Meghan since the relationship has gone public, if she was able to stand the heat and handle it with grace and dignity, she'll be more than prepared to jump into the fire hand in hand with Harry.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Something just struck me: what might be Harry's marriage prospects if he enters a period of serious negative press? Think about it. Would anyone marry him in that kind of firestorm? If the prospects of married life with Harry were a continual barrage of negative press because that was the way the tabloids/public were feeling about Harry and anyone connected with him? Hmmm....

Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Majesty

IMO, if a woman was to base her relationship with Harry based on what the press is saying negatively, that person isn't the right person for Harry. Harry needs a partner in life that will give meaning to the part of the vows that state "for better or worse".
Old 06-29-2017, 11:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
IMO, if a woman was to base her relationship with Harry based on what the press is saying negatively, that person isn't the right person for Harry. Harry needs a partner in life that will give meaning to the part of the vows that state "for better or worse".
You are talking about true love. For himself he would be loved. You are an idealist. But I think that's unrealistic.

If someone has had a pretty benign experience in the public eye, would one risk a lifetime of angst because one is 'in love'? I'm not so sure. What would the lives of one's children (if any) be like? It's something to think about imo. Could be a deal breaker.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
You are talking about true love. For himself he would be loved. You are an idealist. But I think that's unrealistic.

If someone has had a pretty benign experience in the public eye, would one risk a lifetime of angst because one is 'in love'? I'm not so sure. What would the lives of one's children (if any) be like? It's something to think about imo. Could be a deal breaker.
There are so many negatives to dating Harry even before any press, that I don't think the possibility of negative press is the most pressing issue. Eg with meghan, her estranged family aren't going away, and their shamelessness seems to have very little boundaries. The 24/7 security, never being able to be alone. The inability to speak of your own real opinions in public. The endless scrutiny. All this, IMO, would come way before any press, and if his love interest could handle all that, the possibility of negative press wouldn't look like such a deal breaker.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
There are so many negatives to dating Harry even before any press, that I don't think the possibility of negative press is the most pressing issue. Eg with meghan, her estranged family aren't going away, and their shamelessness seems to have very little boundaries. The 24/7 security, never being able to be alone. The inability to speak of your own real opinions in public. The endless scrutiny. All this, IMO, would come way before any press, and if his love interest could handle all that, the possibility of negative press wouldn't look like such a deal breaker.
I'm thinking of a royal who garners contempt or disdain from the public/press. I am watching how things can turn in an (apparent) eyeblink. Is there anything sane and healthy about entering all that willingly?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Meghan is some little innocent who would be shocked by negative attention on Harry (and there have been periods, the Nazi uniform thing, Las Vegas, where the press attention has been negative for him and he's bounced back from that and is still popular.) She has after all been in a very hard industry since her early twenties and knows how the media works.

If Meghan was going to be put off by what the British tabloid press say she wouldn't be in London with Harry at this time. She would no doubt be scuttling in the opposite direction, fast.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm thinking of a royal who garners contempt or disdain from the public/press. I am watching how things can turn in an (apparent) eyeblink. Is there anything sane and healthy about entering all that willingly?
I get what you're saying. I'm just thinking, that there are so many bigger deal breakers much closer to home, that negative press and public disdain. They're not daily concerns, or even weekly. The press/public can be turned around. But the 24/7 security is huge, IMO. There simply isn't any privacy, never. I wouldn't doubt the sanity of a person willing to go through all that, it just might not phase that person as much as others.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 AM
Majesty

If Meghan was going to be scared away by pressure and bad press, they would not have lasted this long. Or even started. She is no Diana, not a doe eyed nineteen year old with seemingly little idea what she faced. Meghan knew what she would face. If the scrutiny and criticism was a killing point for her, she'd not have moved on with him.

She is 35. She is not some young college grad who is going to try and make it work and hope it gets better. She knew the realities going in. If she didn't think she could handle it, or not willing to, she'd not waste her time on this either.

Just like, if she wasn't looking at marriage and kids, she'd not have. At this stage in life, you look for a person with the same goals. Not just to have fun.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think Meghan is some little innocent who would be shocked by negative attention on Harry (and there have been periods, the Nazi uniform thing, Las Vegas, where the press attention has been negative for him and he's bounced back from that and is still popular.) She has after all been in a very hard industry since her early twenties and knows how the media works.
Press as an actor does not 'work' like the way it 'works' in Britain around royalty. That's unique in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If Meghan was going to be put off by what the media says she wouldn't be in London with Harry at this time. She would no doubt be scuttling in the opposite direction, fast.
Well, they are dating, not engaged, not married. Long ways until that. IMO. We'll see.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You really think that Harry's going ot have trouble finding a partner because of some negative press, wihc is the case with all members of the RF. Anyone marrying into the RF has to develop a certain amount of thick skin, if they don't want to be continualy upset by the press... And sicne you don't believe in "true love", why Wouldn't many or most women find the perks of royal life enough to overcome the negative side of it?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:02 AM
Courtier

I am sorry you feel that way, but being involved with any member of any royal family the negative media is part and parcel of their lives all the time. We here have witnessed all the drama of all members of the BRF and they have survived all of it. I am sure that Meghan is a very mature adult who understands the media very well by being in the entertainment industry which is a plus for her and Harry.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 AM
Majesty

On top of that, other than Diana, the members of the BRF have gotten into the habit of not paying attention to what's in the tabloid press and have staff that inform them of anything they'd really need to know from the reputable press.

Charles has stated often that he doesn't read the papers.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Hello all, first post here!

Meghan is in London right now according to the DM. Does anyone think that means she will be attending the private ceremony for Diana tomorrow?

If so, I think it'll be a pretty big sign of the seriousness of this relationship, and that an engagement is coming soon.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xara View Post

Meghan is in London right now according to the DM. Does anyone think that means she will be attending the private ceremony for Diana tomorrow?

If so, I think it'll be a pretty big sign of the seriousness of this relationship, and that an engagement is coming soon.
We won't know if she will attend the service tomorrow, because it's not an event where media will be present and no pictures provided. So, Meghan's presence would be pure speculation and debate. If she attends, it would be out of support for Harry and his family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
If Meghan was going to be scared away by pressure and bad press, they would not have lasted this long. Or even started. She is no Diana, not a doe eyed nineteen year old with seemingly little idea what she faced. Meghan knew what she would face. If the scrutiny and criticism was a killing point for her, she'd not have moved on with him.

She is 35. She is not some young college grad who is going to try and make it work and hope it gets better. She knew the realities going in. If she didn't think she could handle it, or not willing to, she'd not waste her time on this either.

Just like, if she wasn't looking at marriage and kids, she'd not have. At this stage in life, you look for a person with the same goals. Not just to have fun.

Yep.

LaRae

Quote:

Welcome to the board!

I myself am wondering about it...Wimbledon is something she's attended in the past so she could be here for that along with a visit to Harry....we will likely never know if she goes to the private service for Diana....it's intriguing to think about though because if she did go, well that is a big indicator right there of what's coming.

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Hi Xara and welcome to TRF.

As Dman has stated, what happens at the memorial for Diana on July 1st and who attends will not be made public. All we really know is that Meghan caught a flight to London. We don't even know for certain if she'll see Harry while there but its a pretty good bet to think they're together.

This is a couple that do take every opportunity it seems to be able to see each other while not allowing their commitments elsewhere to suffer. They also have become masters of eluding the press and the public glare when they are together knowing that nothing would please a tabloid reporter more than being able to get a "scoop" on this couple.

They may be already engaged. An engagement may be imminent. An engagement may be something that won't happen for a year or more. We won't know until they make a public announcement. I'm half expecting to wake up early one morning, log in here and find they've called the press to Kensington Palace for an announcement like they did with William and Kate's engagement in November of 2010. I remember that morning like it was yesterday.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
..... I'm half expecting to wake up early one morning, log in here and find they've called the press to Kensington Palace for an announcement like they did with William and Kate's engagement in November of 2010. I remember that morning like it was yesterday.

LOL I have had that same thought!

LaRae
Old 06-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

That was one exciting morning indeed. Even my fingers was too excited to type my congratulations. I suspect the same feelings will be involved for tnis couple.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Majesty

Yeps! Here too! I think the members here that weren't here at that time should be prepared to log in, read whats going on, take a break to get a cup of coffee and a snack and come back here to find that there's three new pages of posts to read. That'll be the way of things then, most likely, until a week after the wedding actually happens. We'll have so much to talk about as then the relationship between Meghan and Harry will be very, very public.