The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #6441  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnsha View Post
Exactly, Queen E! Meghan has already sacrificed a lot! I can't imagine what her life must be like! She's constantly taking daily beatings, from horrible tabloids and social media trolls.
In her career visibility is highly important. Not just a pap shot but actually talking and communicating and building a fan base is very important. IMHO the stupid daily mail articles do not count unless you want to be a reality star. Before Harry she was active on social media, politically and regarding issues, she had VOICE and social media visibility. She has made sacrifices career wise because her image is no longer her own and she cannot speak using her own authentic voice.
__________________

  #6442  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,907
She can speak...she CHOOSES to not speak.


LaRae
__________________

  #6443  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,713
As in per above posts, life as a 'Royal' is very, very different from a normally lived life, especially regarding the tabloid press. It's one thing to court the press as an aspiring actress, looking for good press and good reviews. It's quite another to be the object of venomous comment for no other reason than that one is dating a particular man. That's extreme.

It's why someone like Cressida was so 'perfect', she knows nothing outside of a cosseted existence, but even she had trouble with the ridicule and hectoring. At least she was part of the culture, though, and it was not wholly alien to her. Someone like Meghan is very much different. She has been a free woman, and may already be feeling the pinch of all she has had to curtail because of this relationship. Imagine if she is saying as much to Harry. He won't be happy. It's going to be hard on him if she has to say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What specifically do you mean by societal expectations? Are you talking about the public life required or the vetting process or?
I am referring to the expectations that a member of the BRF is somehow de-balled from ever having opinions, or a genuine life of significant activism, because it might 'offend', or (horrors) be political. This is actually something that is quite new, I have come to discover. I've been doing some sleuthing and am trying to figure out which thread upon which to put my 'findings'.

It's this slave-like straight-jacket that has to change. No good will come of maintaining it. Especially for those signed as 'royal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
If they are still a couple by the end of the year that will be a pretty good indicator where it's headed. LaRae
I'd disagree. They need a good 3 years to be close to any decision. Look at other European royals. It takes years to establish certainty. Why should Harry be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Royal friends and officials are rarely willing to be quoted on anything "serious". but I just wish this story would go away.. I don't think he is going to marry her but I wishs that there was a resolution...
How in the world will Harry ever marry if he has to meet, date and get engaged within a year? Won't happen, or shouldn't. I'm not saying it doesn't happen with lots of people (as evidenced by many people's posts on this site) but sharing a normal, anonymous life is one thing; it's quite another for a woman to blend into a 'royal' life when not even of the culture. Even Marie Antoinette had trouble meshing with the French way. Royalty is an arcane institution and Meghan is pretty forward thinking. It's a huge disconnect to think that she could seamlessly morph into a Kate-like presence beside Harry. That's why I say that for this marriage to be even remotely possible (imo) a great deal would have to shift (maybe Harry and Meghan living in the US, for example, half the time, and allowing Meghan to work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
How so? Meghan was already a public figure before she met Harry. Once the relationship became public she has cut down severely on her social media presence, closed down her blog, is rarely seen in public & hasn't once spoken publicly about it. She has taken a lot of hits from the media, estranged family members & trolls, but she has handled it all with class & grace.
You've answered your question: Meghan has been willing to undergo all you have said by allowing herself to become publicly connected to Harry as his girlfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
I think he needs to figure it out soon..bc i imagine usa network want to continue the show and have her on...and if shes not engaged she really doesnt have a good reason to say no to another season...so there are alot of factors at play in this relationship.
Well, here we are at the crux. Meghan should be able to work an 8th season on her show, and she should be able to work whenever she wants, in fact not give up her career. Plus, her politics is no one's business but her own (and Harry's because he would be looking at her across the breakfast table). These are the societal, cultural aspects that need to change if Harry is to be able to marry an intelligent, modern woman. British society, or British conventions, regarding royal spouses has to open up, shift, re-align.

I am still reeling from a poster's comment some time back that if Meghan becomes Harry's wife she will 'have to learn to shut up.' Good lord!
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6444  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,887


I see no reason for British way of life or cultural issues have to change because Harry might want to marry an American actress.

The solution is for Harry to pack up. And move to US.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #6445  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,907
Lady Nimue ...It's really no different than a politicians wife or other person in a certain type of job where you have to curtail your public statements for various reason. People do this in various jobs. I'm not sure why it's so surprising that the wife (or husband) of a senior royal would also have to be careful about public speech.

As far as when they get married, if they get that far, none of us really know the time frame for that...however when I say if they are together end of the year we know where it is headed just seems logical to me...they will be headed to the 2 year mark..you don't stay in a relationship that long unless you know where it's going and you are willing to go there.


LaRae
  #6446  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I see no reason for British way of life or cultural issues have to change because Harry might want to marry an American actress.
Change in the sense of not subjecting said spouse to scathing public comment because of all the 'transgressions'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The solution is for Harry to pack up. And move to US.
Exactly so. Maybe. Or some where else other than the UK. Sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Lady Nimue ...It's really no different than a politicians wife or other person in a certain type of job where you have to curtail your public statements for various reason. People do this in various jobs. I'm not sure why it's so surprising that the wife (or husband) of a senior royal would also have to be careful about public speech.
Because it's not always been like that. This is a 'new' thing. Kinda. I must find the right thread to post. It's about Charles and his (up-to-now) public speeches with his views. There's a thread for that, I know, but I'm not pulling it up. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
As far as when they get married, if they get that far, none of us really know the time frame for that...however when I say if they are together end of the year we know where it is headed just seems logical to me...they will be headed to the 2 year mark..you don't stay in a relationship that long unless you know where it's going and you are willing to go there. LaRae
Understood. If they last to two years it will be significant, but he's been at two years twice before. Things can unravel pretty quickly at the end (as some of us might have experienced). The one happy fact is that Harry seems to keep his old girlfriends as friends.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6447  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,907
I don't think the 'being careful about public speech' is a new thing with the BRF.

Charles is one of the few that have spoken out and even then he's careful about it...and he's taken tons of heat for it also.

Seems like there was a thread about the Spider Letters...it'd have to be under Charle's section here I'd think.

I think Harry's had 2 long term relationships previously ...neither went further due to the women (or so it's said) wanting to deal with being a royal.

To me the time doesn't matter as much once you get into your mid 30's. You are much more certain about what you want in life and in a relationship..you don't mess about like someone in their 20's still exploring things.

If they are still an item end of year...I won't be at all surprised to see an engagement in 2018 and even a marriage.


LaRae
  #6448  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,713
Well, astrologically Harry is suppose to be falling deeply in love right about now and it's around 2017/2018 he is suppose to marry. Actually, astrologically, there are a lot of changes a-foot for the BRF in these years.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6449  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:14 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,887


Royals have always had to be careful about what they say. They cannot say anything which either promotes or is critical of government policy.

But they can still tackle difficult issues.

Camilla doesn't talk about government support or police attitude to rape victims but she does support charities that support the victims.

Charles can talk about environment issues and promote removing plastics from the ocean but he will do that by talking to companies. He couldn't do it if it was gov policy to promote the use of plastics (it isn't by the way).

Because government involves itself in every aspect of life now it has become a difficult line sometimes. But that line has always been there since 1703.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #6450  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Royals have always had to be careful about what they say. They cannot say anything which either promotes or is critical of government policy.
But that's just it, it hasn't always been that way. What you are saying is very recent. In fact, with Elizabeth, a woman.

I'm going to type up the results of my sleuthing and post it all (will be very curious what others have to say), but it has to go on a Charles thread and I'll go find one. It'll take me some time because it's a lot of typing and I have some little ones begging for attention right now.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6451  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
But that's just it, it hasn't always been that way. What you are saying is very recent. In fact, with Elizabeth, a woman.

I'm going to type up the results of my sleuthing and post it all (will be very curious what others have to say), but it has to go on a Charles thread and I'll go find one. It'll take me some time because it's a lot of typing and I have some little ones begging for attention right now.
No - one of the reasons Edward VIII was a concern to the British Government when he was Prince of Wales was because of his political comments regarding working conditions, particularly in the mines. He expressed his feelings in public.

So it does go back a long time
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #6452  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
She can speak...she CHOOSES to not speak.


LaRae
She could speak and throw even more fire to the hatred she already gets, socially she has been silenced.
  #6453  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,455
I might be wrong but wasn't she with her husband for years before they married and then only married for a short time ? So a long courtship might not be important to her
  #6454  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
She could speak and throw even more fire to the hatred she already gets, socially she has been silenced.

That is her choice. Speech always has a negative/positive reaction even for non-famous folks. Just go look at FB


LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I might be wrong but wasn't she with her husband for years before they married and then only married for a short time ? So a long courtship might not be important to her
Yes they were together like 7 years or something...and then only married a year or two.


LaRae
  #6455  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
No - one of the reasons Edward VIII was a concern to the British Government when he was Prince of Wales was because of his political comments regarding working conditions, particularly in the mines. He expressed his feelings in public. So it does go back a long time
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or the opposite.

Elizabeth has set the standard that the monarch does not speak out. Full stop.

But that has not been the case prior to Elizabeth, and your point about Edward/David proves my point.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6456  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 443
How Harry and Meghan become Mr. & Mrs. Wales (or TRH Duke & Duchess of ____________, ) that remains to be seen. Granted she would have to learn British customs and royal traditions and protocol to function in the Firm. I looked at pictures of the Trooping of the Color and Royal Ascot and I tried to picture Meghan on the balcony and in the carriage procession. It was a little odd at first, but then I thought times have changed. I never thought I would see an African American man be elected President of the United States twice, and I certainly didn't think a divorcee who was the mistress of a married Prince of Wales become the second wife after public scorn. Being of the broad culture and of aristocratic circles are no guarantees one can make it
in the BRF; Diana and Fergie are Exhibits A and B.

As for causes and patronages, Meghan could not flat out address racism in affecting policy, but she could address it in some way. She still could be an ambassador to the U.N.

Bottom line it depends on the individual. It's going to depend on Meghan and Harry on how they are going to work out their relationship and a possible future.
  #6457  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That is her choice. Speech always has a negative/positive reaction even for non-famous folks. Just go look at FB


LaRae
She could speak and ruin her relationship with PH also. It is her choice but in alot of ways social norms have hastened her silence.
  #6458  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
She could speak and ruin her relationship with PH also. It is her choice but in alot of ways social norms have hastened her silence.
She's not put a foot wrong yet.....as far as social norms....she would willingly place herself in/under those if she decides to marry into the BRF.


LaRae
  #6459  
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,667
Whichever way you look at it, this last year Harry and Meghan have been "trying each other on for size". To those advocating they just live together for a while, it wouldn't hurt, William did for years. But it would prove absolutely nothing. You cannot practice being married. You either are or you are not. I attended three weddings one year, each couple had lived together for varying amounts of time, 18 months, 3 years and 7 years. None lasted more than two years from 'I Do' to 'Decree Absolute'. The reason the women all gave . . . it all changed after we got married.

Like it or not, I don't think they are going to move in together for any great length of time. As to fitting in, Meghan has attended many prominent events as a result of both her career and her activism, so I'm guessing she knows which fork to use. And at least she speaks the same language (idiosyncrasies notwithstanding), unlike many European royals whose engagements were delayed while the bride learnt a whole new language and culture.

While I wouldn't wish the to hasten for other people, I'd encourage them to make up their minds. They are in their thirties not their teens and old enough to step out in faith in themselves. Besides, Harry seems to have lost his sparkle, at Pippa's wedding he looked like someone pinched his dog and at the Trooping, he was majorly down in the dumps.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #6460  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM
eya eya is offline
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 8,395
Meghan Markle net worth revealed: Is Suits star richer than boyfriend Prince Harry?

Meghan Markle net worth revealed: Is Suits star richer than boyfriend Prince Harry?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania aristocracy best outfit best outfit october 2016 birthday catherine child christening crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria crown princess victoria hats denmark duke of edinburgh europe fashion poll kate king abdullah ii marriage maxima in australia and new zealand monarchy monarchy versus republic natural disasters nobel 2016 november 2016 october 2016 parliament picture of the week prince charles prince philip princessanne princess marie princess marie eveningwear princess mary princess mary eveningwear princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia eveningwear queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathilde in jordan queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen rania in australia rohan romanov royal wedding state visit succession sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises