The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #6381  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A long walk through Harry's relationships-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/379464...-bachelor/amp/
I read it! So rare for me and I came across this gem: "As for his relationship with Meghan, the only way it will succeed is if she is indeed a strong enough teabag to cope with life in the boiling depths of a public brew."

I am enthralled. A strong enough teabag to cope with life in the boiling depths of a public brew. If only we all were so!
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6382  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,068
I do think people over-hype Harry's role in the monarchy. It's not going to take rocket science to basically show up and look nice while cutting ribbons and greeting dignitaries and as for the press, since she's not suing them, that is admirable.
__________________

  #6383  
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I do think people over-hype Harry's role in the monarchy. It's not going to take rocket science to basically show up and look nice while cutting ribbons and greeting dignitaries and as for the press, since she's not suing them, that is admirable.
Yes, quite!
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6384  
Old 06-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,453
Isn't that the same with all women who marry into the royal families of Britain and Europe? However, these roles are what you make of them to a certain extent. If you take a cause or two and run with them you can make a difference.

A case in point is Queen Maxima and her UN work. And look at Diana with anti land mines and AIDS. Plus, if you can make carefully crafted speeches without stuttering and mumbling or looking nervous, if you appear genuinely interested in the people you meet and ask intelligent questions that's a lot more professional than if you don't, and that's harder than it looks.

By the way, the line about teabags previously quoted comes from the latest biography of Harry's. It was inspired by a saying of Eleanor Roosevelt's, 'Women are like teabags -- they don't realise how strong they are until they're in hot water.'
  #6385  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,661
I think you are missing the point. The last three women Harry dated ended the affair when they couldn't stand the heat of the media intrusion and the total lack of privacy or respect inherent with it. And when it comes to being the strong teabag . . . well hell, Americans make tea in the microwave!

This is a relationship that, like tea, needs time to steep in the pot, for the flavour to develop and be drunk out of china cups, not nuked and served with a teabag tag hanging out the side of a chunky mug. Fortunately for Eleanor Roosevelt, microwaves had not yet superceded the kettle nor the advent of tags. Might I suggest that a microwave is more damaging than a teapot!

No BRF imports have asserted themselves as individuals in public since Diana post-divorce. Sophie is the closest but she went through hellfire to get to where she is now and is very low key. It is going to take a strong woman to bring that strength needed with her to the BRF and an even stronger prince to enable her to stand beside him and support him and to stand behind her and support her when she stands on her own.

We don't know if Harry and Meghan will make it to marriage, but I am reasonably sure that Meghan is sensitive to the differences between the UK and America, is intelligent and loves and supports Harry as he, in turn, loves her. None of which negates the fact she is already a humanitarian and an articulate speaker with a background that has well prepared her for public life.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #6386  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,453
I was really addressing aristocat's point in her previous post about Harry's wife probably being nothing but a ribbon cutter in her public duties. The sentence about tea was quoted by Lady Nimue in her previous post, and that was about media intrusion but wasn't the real point of my post.

Which three women? Chelsy never wanted to be a Royal, but their romance was also tumultuous and they were very young when it began. It was one of those romances which begin so passionately in people's teen years and then fade. It was finished really by the early months of 2009 and would probably have ended anyway because their lives were going in different directions.

Cressida Bonas was the last serious girlfriend of Harry's before Meghan. It lasted for about two years but died because of media intrusion AND a lack of common interests.

Florence Brudenell-Bruce (Flee) was a momentary fling, but the brief romance, short though it was, (only a few weeks) gained traction in the Press because she was a lingerie model. It didn't end because of media intrusion but in a quarrel over Harry's flirting at a music festival. I wouldn't call her a serious girlfriend of Harry's. The other two romances lasted years.
  #6387  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
By the way, the line about teabags previously quoted comes from the latest biography of Harry's. It was inspired by a saying of Eleanor Roosevelt's, 'Women are like teabags -- they don't realise how strong they are until they're in hot water.'
Learn something every day! Thank you.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6388  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,453
Meghan must have liked that quote. She put it next to her own photo in a yearbook when she was a schoolgirl at the Immaculate Heart girls school in Los Angeles. She was about fifteen then, I believe.
  #6389  
Old 06-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I believe the caption on Meghan's Instagram indicates that the cute curly-haired black dog belongs to a friend of hers. And the black dog is a she... thus Guy's girlfriend!
Well must say Guy has an adorable girlfriend I may be a cat person, 🐱but I can still appreciate a cute puppy when I see one 🐕

As for the teabag comment and Meg using it, not surprising. You can see phases generations go through by the quotes or pop culture references. A yearbook is a good example. Likely a number of girls around that time used that quote or similar.
  #6390  
Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think you are missing the point. The last three women Harry dated ended the affair when they couldn't stand the heat of the media intrusion and the total lack of privacy or respect inherent with it. And when it comes to being the strong teabag . . . well hell, Americans make tea in the microwave!

This is a relationship that, like tea, needs time to steep in the pot, for the flavour to develop and be drunk out of china cups, not nuked and served with a teabag tag hanging out the side of a chunky mug. Fortunately for Eleanor Roosevelt, microwaves had not yet superceded the kettle nor the advent of tags. Might I suggest that a microwave is more damaging than a teapot!

No BRF imports have asserted themselves as individuals in public since Diana post-divorce. Sophie is the closest but she went through hellfire to get to where she is now and is very low key. It is going to take a strong woman to bring that strength needed with her to the BRF and an even stronger prince to enable her to stand beside him and support him and to stand behind her and support her when she stands on her own.

We don't know if Harry and Meghan will make it to marriage, but I am reasonably sure that Meghan is sensitive to the differences between the UK and America, is intelligent and loves and supports Harry as he, in turn, loves her. None of which negates the fact she is already a humanitarian and an articulate speaker with a background that has well prepared her for public life.
Americans have something called Sun Tea ....glass pitcher with water and teabags hours in the sun on the porch/deck. No wimpy teabags will hold up to that!
  #6391  
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Meghan must have liked that quote. She put it next to her own photo in a yearbook when she was a schoolgirl at the Immaculate Heart girls school in Los Angeles. She was about fifteen then, I believe.
This story knows no ending! That teabag quote is now with me forever!
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #6392  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:45 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 317
The writer of the article probably copped the 'teabag' reference from the quote Meghan chose to place next to her Yearbook photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A long walk through Harry's relationships-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/379464...-bachelor/amp/
Thanks for posting. The article casually states a number of things that I'm confused by:

#1 "Harry and Cressy had a lot in common." @Curryong just stated that Harry & Cressida did not have interests in common. Which of these statements is true?

#2 "Harry was smitten by Cressy" and the relationship was 'intense.' I never got that impression from their relationship. It seemed like the media was building it up more than anything, and that Harry & Cressida were going along for the ride until it ended abruptly.

#3 I know that Harry had a lot of flings, of which Florence Brudenell Bruce, the lingerie model was one. But if FB Bruce was only with Harry for two weeks, why is she being included in this article? For her long-legged blonde good looks???

#4 "Harry and Meghan's paths crossed at the 2016 Invictus Games held in the U.S." There have been rumors that Harry and Meghan possibly first met in May 2016 at the Invictus Games. But what is meant by saying their 'paths crossed'? Did they just run into each other or were they introduced and shared phone numbers? I ask that because the article goes on to say that Harry began 'bombarding Meghan with texts.' Now, that is something I've read more than once.

This article says that Harry also asked Meghan when she would be in London, or that he was trying to convince her to visit London. We do know that Meghan was in London at the end of June through early July 2016 to attend Wimbledon as a guest of Serena Williams. So, was there an arrangement between M&H to meet up at Soho House while she was in London? I was under the impression that M&H had initially been introduced to each other at Soho House at the end of June 2016 by Meghan's friend Markus Anderson, a party consultant, who is assistant to the chief executive of Soho House. Which version of these tales about M&H meeting is true? Are all versions true?

#5 The article says that Eugenie & Beatrice were involved in Harry meeting both Cressida and Meghan. I'm more inclined to believe that Eugenie became involved in supporting the M&H romance (not that she was needed to do that) after M&H had already met, and that Beatrice has had no input in M&H's relationship whatsoever. I have heard that Eugenie and her boyfriend have double-dated with M&H.

There is also the fact that pre-Harry, Meghan has been a good friend of Misha Nonoo's, the fashion designer, who is divorced from Andrew Gilkes (a friend of Harry's and William's). Meghan is also a friend of Jessica Mulroney's and of the Trudeaus. What this seems to suggest is that Meghan was traveling in similar social circles as Harry well before she met him. So their meeting is not unusual, despite what some negative critical observers might think. M&H's relationship seems fated. But can we please get to the bottom of the 'How They Actually Met' details already!

Besides all that, #6: I do agree that Harry was completely fed up with the media and the royal courtiers interfering in his life and scaring away his lady friends. When Meghan came along and their relationship intensified late last summer/ early fall, apparently Harry was eager to put the slammers on the media meddling even coming close to causing Meghan Markle to slip out of his orbit. He made sure that everyone got the message forthwith: "This is my life, and hers!" In other words: Back off!

Prince Harry is ready to go to the mats for Meghan!

Also, I wouldn't necessarily compare Meghan with a 'teabag.' I would characterize her as more like the lovely flower she admires: Peony, known for its "ease of cultivation, relative freedom from pests and diseases, widespread hardiness ..." and for the ideas and values the Peony represents, such as "honor & success, wealth & riches, romance & romantic love, and beauty in all its forms." Bloom on.
  #6393  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:53 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
... As for the teabag comment and Meg using it, not surprising. You can see phases generations go through by the quotes or pop culture references. A yearbook is a good example. Likely a number of girls around that time used that quote or similar.
Yep, but I also think the quote reflects Meghan's very strong feminist views which she held from a young age. This is attested to by her schoolgirl campaign re the soap manufacturer's sexist commercial, which she discussed during her speech at a UN Women gathering. And is also evidenced in Meghan's forthright response to Larry King when he asked her during an interview about whether she considered herself a 'feminist.'
  #6394  
Old 06-16-2017, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,453
The article which has been discussed comes from Duncan Larcombe, for years the tabloid Sun's Royal Editor/Royal Correspondent. He has just written a newly published biography called 'Harry The Inside Story.' which I've purchased on Kindle, unfortunately. I have several biographies on Harry, and will just say of this latest one that I think Mr Larcombe spent a great deal of time formulating it from the Sun archives.

On the one hand he personally knows Harry and obviously has a great deal of affection for him. There are some titbits there from Harry's early twenties that are quite interesting.

On the other, Harry's girlfriends seem to be designated as 'stunning and fun-loving'. However, Chelsy Davy, whom Larcombe met several times and greatly liked, is very favourably treated, the relationship with Cressida Bonas is dealt with very briefly, and a rather cynical approach is taken with Meghan.

Duncan has never met Meghan, but appears to believe that the Sun and other tabloids were badly treated when Harry came to her defence with that statement last November.

This seems to be because he believes that people in Meghan's profession have no reason to complain about the media as they court publicity anyway! Larcombe's tabloid journalistic background shines through in his view of her, though inevitably she's described as 'stunning'.

If the article states otherwise, then it must have been cut and pasted from another Sun journalist's work, as Duncan says in his book (but gives no sources for it) that Cressida grew disillusioned with Harry's disinterest with things that mattered to her, the theatre, dance, the arts in general, jazz music, etc and therefore decided the relationship had no future.

I disagree with him that it was Cressida who necessarily pulled the plug on their relationship, (it seems to me that KP were very quick off the mark to say that the romance was over.) Ingrid Seward who is a friend of Cress's mother, apparently believes that the hatred Cressida received from social media and onlookers put the kybosh on this romance, and I agree that it probably did to some extent. It was horrendous, but nothing compared to what Meghan has endured for about eight months.

However, I also believe that although Harry and Cress both ski they had little in common otherwise. Harry likes sport and does collect art but has never shown interest in jazz or modern dance, for example, as far as I know.

I remember distinctly the period of time the Flee Brudenell-Bruce romance lasted, and it was literally a matter of a few weeks in one summer. At least Mr Larcombe spends little time on it in his book. Of course, Flee the blonde and beautiful lives on in the pages of the British tabloids as 'one of Harry's exes'!
  #6395  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
IMO, if Larcombe believes what the Sun and other tabloids printed was acceptable journalism then it tells me his professionalism is severely lacking. Frankly if the free articles I have seen written by him and some of his colleagues are an indication of their journalistic skills, I would not waste my money purchasing a book written by him or the others.
  #6396  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,050
The media came down on Meghan not just because she's an accomplished actress, but because of her race. I found it incredibly unfair and hurtful and I'm sure she and Harry felt the same. The stalking her at her house and mother's house was just plain dangerous and stupid.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #6397  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winston-Salem, United States
Posts: 19
Hi! I must agree that Meghan's media coverage has been horrible. As a matter of fact, it has been racist and deceitful. I truly admire the way in which she has handled herself, throughout this entire onslaught. Hopefully, Prince Harry will appreciate the incredible dignity and discretion, that she has displayed during this relationship. I am very grateful to have an opportunity to express my opinions on Harry and Meghan, without having to deal with the extreme nastiness that exists on other forums. Thanks.
  #6398  
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnsha View Post
Hi! I must agree that Meghan's media coverage has been horrible. As a matter of fact, it has been racist and deceitful. I truly admire the way in which she has handled herself, throughout this entire onslaught. Hopefully, Prince Harry will appreciate the incredible dignity and discretion, that she has displayed during this relationship. I am very grateful to have an opportunity to express my opinions on Harry and Meghan, without having to deal with the extreme nastiness that exists on other forums. Thanks.
Very happy to see you on the forums, Ronnsha!

I agree, Meghan has handled it all with a great deal of professionalism and grace. I'm happy that Meghan and Harry seems to be very happy. I'm supporting this couple all the way. Harry has a new pep in his step these days too.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #6399  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winston-Salem, United States
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Very happy to see you on the forums, Ronnsha!

I agree, Meghan has handled it all with a great deal of professionalism and grace. I'm happy that Meghan and Harry seems to be very happy. I'm supporting this couple all the way. Harry has a new pep in his step these days too.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Dman! Yes, Prince Harry does seem to be at peace, and extremely focused on actually making a profound difference in the world. While Harry has always been my favorite royal, I have never really followed him on a regular basis, until he began dating Meghan. I am learning so much about the BRF and their way of life, and I am finding all of this completely fascinating. Being a Meghan fan, before Harry entered the picture, has made the past several months extremely difficult, because she was so fan friendly. However, I can't help but cheer them on, because she's made so many sacrifices for the relationship. I hope that they are very happy!
  #6400  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnsha View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome, Dman! Yes, Prince Harry does seem to be at peace, and extremely focused on actually making a profound difference in the world. While Harry has always been my favorite royal, I have never really followed him on a regular basis, until he began dating Meghan. I am learning so much about the BRF and their way of life, and I am finding all of this completely fascinating. Being a Meghan fan, before Harry entered the picture, has made the past several months extremely difficult, because she was so fan friendly. However, I can't help but cheer them on, because she's made so many sacrifices for the relationship. I hope that they are very happy!
Yes, I noticed that she have a very special relationship with her fans. She may not be widely known, but she has her own following before Harry.

The couple do appear to be very happy. I hope we get a chance to see them emerge as a couple in a more public way at some point. From the very few pictures we have seen so far, they make a beautiful pair.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
albania aristocracy best outfit best outfit october 2016 birthday child crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mary evening dresses crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria denmark duchess of cambridge visit to canada duke of edinburgh elia zaharia fashion poll kate king abdullah ii king abdullah in australia love maxima in australia and new zealand monarchy monarchy versus republic natural disasters november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia cocktail dresses queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia eveningwear queen letizia fashion queen letizia gowns queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen mathilde in jordan queen mathilde style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania eveningwear queen rania fashion queen rania in australia romanov royal wedding soderberg state visit state visit from argentina succession sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises