The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:16 AM
Majesty

There is a difference between private family events, even if cameras are near, and official events. Being invited to stay at Windsor is not the she as being part of the official Christmas celebration or church walks Easter or Christmas. These are considered official, and a ring is needed. Weddings, lunches, riding, hinting weekends a different matter. The rules see, to have loosened a bit, as Jack has been allowed to accompany Eugenie to the flower show. Which is an official royal event. But certainly not at level of Christmas. Like sophie, Jack seems to be allowed in more and more, as he has been around so long.

Again, I am sure Harry will introduce Meg to granny. And maybe she will be invited to balmoral thus summer. Or riding at Windsor. But I wouldn't be expecting her at Christmas, walk and all, till a ring.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I doubt there is protocol, but I'd say yes, on meeting. First and foremost they are a family. I don't see Harry proposing before certainly his father, and quite surely his grandparents had at least met her. I don't see him asking granny for permission without allowing her to meet Meghan first. Now things like invitations to family events are another matter. That comes with at least engagement. A wedding like possible Eugenie would be a different matter then say Christmas.

Actually if Eugenir were yo get married first, would be a good setting to meet the extended family. Catherine did with peters.

My doubts earlier about her meeting anyone was not about it being serious. If it wasn't, he'd not have issued statements. Simply logistics. My doubt on Kate and Charlotte story had to do with the detail. Articles claiming she gave Kate a dream journal and so on. Such details are hard to believe which IMO makes whole tale hard to believe.
I agree with much of what you've said here. I think family events/official duties are all likely to depend on the type of event, whose hosting it, and what the basic protocol is for it. We're not likely to see her at a big family thing hosted by the Queen and DoE as those tend to be of a no ring, no invite type of situation - i.e. we don't see girlfriends/boyfriends at Sandringham. We might see her attending family weddings, if any come up (which doesn't seem entirely likely), but she might not be seated in the church with the family. She might be seen in the crowd at Invictus, but if Harry does a meet and greet with Justin Trudeau, she won't likely be there. We might see her in the Royal Box at Ascot or Wimbledon - we've seen Dave Clark and Jack Brooksbank at both.

We know at this point she's very likely met William, Kate, the kids, Eugenie, and Jack - they were all at Pippa's wedding, and very likely at the wedding reception. Based on Mike's comments, she hasn't met him and Zara yet, but we don't know anything about other members of the BRF... I'm inclined to think she's likely met Beatrice and possibly Andrew and Sarah (Harry tends to come across as close with them), but not necessarily Peter/Autumn, Anne/Tim, or the Wessexes. I kind of doubt she's met the Queen and DoE yet, and I'm uncertain if I think she's met Charles and Camilla... it would make sense for her to have met them at this point, especially if she did essentially shack up with him for a couple months at the start of the year, but if the rumours that Charles isn't all that close with his sons are true, then perhaps they haven't yet.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There is a difference between private family events, even if cameras are near, and official events. Being invited to stay at Windsor is not the she as being part of the official Christmas celebration or church walks Easter or Christmas. These are considered official, and a ring is needed. Weddings, lunches, riding, hinting weekends a different matter. The rules see, to have loosened a bit, as Jack has been allowed to accompany Eugenie to the flower show. Which is an official royal event. But certainly not at level of Christmas. Like sophie, Jack seems to be allowed in more and more, as he has been around so long.

Again, I am sure Harry will introduce Meg to granny. And maybe she will be invited to balmoral thus summer. Or riding at Windsor. But I wouldn't be expecting her at Christmas, walk and all, till a ring.
Christmas is always considered a family gathering. After Christmas is when guest start to arrive as the royals do a lot of hosting at Sandringham during the holiday season.

The Queen is open to partners attending things, but it's up to what the couple is comfortable with and like doing. The ball really is in Harry and Meghan's court.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 AM
Majesty

Interesting. So you assume Zara, William, Peter, Eugenie and Beatrice didn't Wantbto invite their partners to Christmas. That the queen was willing to let them come but invitation was turned down. I would love a source got that.

Again I am not talking when guests arrive and they do all the hosting. I a, speaking specifically of Official Christmas Day events and walking to church. We have never seen someone without a ring. This is an Official family event, not private. And I don't see Meghan IMO being first.

You seem to be missing the official event (church walk, trooping so on) vs private family (weddings, Sunday tea, birthdays, hunting weekend, boxing or post Christmas get together). Precedence is known.

As she becomes more comfortable we will likely see her at ascot or garden show like Jack does. Certainly not in the carriages till a ring. But there.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Christmas is always considered a family gathering. After Christmas is when guest start to arrive as the royals do a lot of hosting at Sandringham during the holiday season.

The Queen is open to partners attending things, but it's up to what the couple is comfortable with and like doing. The ball really is in Harry and Meghan's court.
The reason why guests are able to arrive after Christmas is because many of the family have already left e.g. Charles and Camilla, Andrew and his daughters normally leave after the Queen's speech on Christmas Day to be with other family although Charles goes alone to Scotland.

William isn't even at Sandringham any more, but elsewhere on the estate, and I suspect Harry would stay with William and Kate now rather than at the big house as his father and step-mother are only there for the one night, unless he too leaves on Christmas Day to go to friends.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Nobility

Let me just clarify, that in the conversation about this sort of stuff showing us where Harry stands in future streamlining, I mean only where he stands in terms of *official role.* Not at all where he stands in terms of behind-closed-doors familial relationship. I'm strictly talking about the jobs that these folks are expected to do in their public lives, period.

And I suspect that some of what we royal-watchers see as "honor," like being deemed worthy of an interview or a balcony appearance or a spot in a carriage in a procession are considered (by at least some members of the family) a pain in the neck that they'd rather be able to do without. So not being expected to do those things might not be seen internally as any kind of insult, but rather being let off the hook. Based on comments he's made in interviews, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry were to jump at any chance at not having to be front and center.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Interesting. So you assume Zara, William, Peter, Eugenie and Beatrice didn't Wantbto invite their partners to Christmas. That the queen was willing to let them come but invitation was turned down. I would love a source got that.

Again I am not talking when guests arrive and they do all the hosting. I a, speaking specifically of Official Christmas Day events and walking to church. We have never seen someone without a ring. This is an Official family event, not private. And I don't see Meghan IMO being first.

You seem to be missing the official event (church walk, trooping so on) vs private family (weddings, Sunday tea, birthdays, hunting weekend, boxing or post Christmas get together). Precedence is known.

As she becomes more comfortable we will likely see her at ascot or garden show like Jack does. Certainly not in the carriages till a ring. But there.
Christmas Day (Church walk etc) is not an official event. It may be a tradition, but it is definitely not official.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Majesty

We'll see if she goes to Ascot (assuming Harry goes).

LaRae
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Christmas Day (Church walk etc) is not an official event. It may be a tradition, but it is definitely not official.
Wasn't it only 3 or 4 years ago that the press realised that they went to two services and if they got up earlier they could get two bites of the cherry, the early service and the fashion walk later.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Makes sense to me.
Also it depends on HOW Diana´s jewels were shared between the 2. In case Diana had a last will, which claims exactly "this will go to Wills, this will go to Harry".... then it is clear.
But in case she did not do this.... then the 2 brothers will have to discuss in case Harry wants to select one ring from Dianas anchestry....

There were not yet THAT many jewels from the late Diana worn by Catherine: the engagement ring, the Lovers Knot Tiara and some Sapphire earrings - not more to my knowledge. One example is her famous Pearl Sapphire Choker..... we have not seen the one since Dianas death. So I would love to know, what the boys have decided on that one.
Time will tell

BYe Bine
I would love to see that gorgeous choker worn by either Catherine or Meghan (if she and Harry get married). It is too pretty to just sit in the vaults.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 AM
Majesty

As far as I am aware, Diana's will left her jewellery to be divided between her sons. She did not specify what went to whom. I recall hearing that William and Harry were allowed to choose a "keepsake" while the rest was held until their 30th birthday. I also recall reading that William chose his mother's watch and Harry chose her engagement ring neither of which, in the grand scheme of Royal jewels or even Diana's, were of great value or history at that point.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I hardly think Charles or William would put Anne, Andrew and the Wessexes out to pasture. As the Kents (the Duke and Princess Alexandra) and Gloucesters retire they will need the Queen's other children to still fill in the gaps.
Agree, I don't see them being pushed out. In a recent documentary Anne said she plans to be doing engagements just like her parents when she's their age, that it's "in the blood". I assume she's aware of the future plans and she doesn't think she's going anywhere.

Quote:
I was simply explaining the authors reasoning behind the whole 'asking Prince William permission'. The article suggested the emerald choker.

Diana got loaned a tiara but she was also gifted a number of pieces. The necklace could very possibly be with her sons.
The emerald choker belongs to The Queen, it was returned after Diana's death. Since then it's been on display at BP with some of the Queen's other jewels. From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Art Deco Emerald Choker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post

We know at this point she's very likely met William, Kate, the kids, Eugenie, and Jack - they were all at Pippa's wedding, and very likely at the wedding reception. Based on Mike's comments, she hasn't met him and Zara yet, but we don't know anything about other members of the BRF... I'm inclined to think she's likely met Beatrice and possibly Andrew and Sarah (Harry tends to come across as close with them), but not necessarily Peter/Autumn, Anne/Tim, or the Wessexes. I kind of doubt she's met the Queen and DoE yet, and I'm uncertain if I think she's met Charles and Camilla... it would make sense for her to have met them at this point, especially if she did essentially shack up with him for a couple months at the start of the year, but if the rumours that Charles isn't all that close with his sons are true, then perhaps they haven't yet.
From what I read the kids weren't at the evening party, they had returned to KP with Maria. So Meghan and the kiddos likely didn't cross paths that day.

As for when Meghan might meet Charles and Camilla, well Camilla turns 70 next month, and Charles will likely throw her a big party at Highgrove. William brought his then gf Catherine to Camilla's 60th party. Though Harry and Chelsy skipped it. I guess it depends on if Harry plans to attend this time.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:36 AM
Majesty

No big birthday party plans for Camilla this year. She told Helo she plans on a quiet birthday with her kids and grandkids. Possibly a tea party. There is also talk of going away on a family holiday.

How the Duchess of Cornwall will celebrate her 70th birthday | HELLO! Canada

That said it is likely her stepsons would be invited to attend. They are close to her kids. Possibly Meghan may accompany Harry if they are both available.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Nobility

Patrick Adams was interviewed at the ATX Television Festival and the interviewer (of course) asked him whether he'd met Harry and asked about the relationship.

He was pretty canny in his answer:

1) He hasn't met Harry
2) He charmingly laughed off the idea of Harry doing a cameo
3) They don't talk about their personal lives at work
4) He's nevertheless very happy for her
5) He ended with a plug for the show.

The guy definitely has had media training. :)

EXCLUSIVE: Patrick J. Adams Says 'Suits' Co-Star Meghan Markle Is 'So Happy' With Prince Harry Romance

Also, pictures have shown up on Twitter of Meghan arriving at the Austin airport for the Suits table read and panel at ATX tomorrow. If you're interested, they're streaming it on FB live.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Nobility

I'm glad she is there, the 100 episode is so important and a milestone for actors and TV shows.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, good on the Suits cast and crew! In spite of sniping by some about Meghan's acting career, being employed on a TV series year after year is a major achievement in an industry with about 95% unemployment at any given time.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, good on the Suits cast and crew! In spite of sniping by some about Meghan's acting career, being employed on a TV series year after year is a major achievement in an industry with about 95% unemployment at any given time.
So true and in terms of compensation the 100 episode usually means syndication which is another income stream for actors. Most actors are not stars but journeymen who make a living out of being on different shows throughout their careers. People make fun of Meghan being cast as hot girl no. 1 but that is par for the course for actors who get their start in commercials or soap operas. Good for Meg!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Majesty

Back to business: Meghan Markle is spotted for the first time since Pippa's wedding as she touches down in Texas without her boyfriend Prince Harry

Old 06-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Quite right, a tradition only, but one known to take place so the media will gather and also the general public as they know the RF always attend Mass there on Christmas Day, but also on many other Sundays when in residence.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Back to business: Meghan Markle is spotted for the first time since Pippa's wedding as she touches down in Texas without her boyfriend Prince Harry

Meghan looks relaxed and comfortable after being out of the public eye for several weeks.

I don't think I will ever truly understand the apparently still very fashionable 'chic' of wearing raggedy jeans. I certainly wouldn't pay for designer-made raggedy jeans. It's quite different if a pair you've washed over and over began to wear out. But I guess the designer-made variety gets you there quicker.

It will be interesting to see whether Meg will be protected from being asked certain questions by the media hordes, some of whom likely have traveled to Austin from all over the world, simply to snap pics and ogle Meghan Markle.