The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I wonder if she would have to give up acting? It would be really tough for me to give up the job I love because of who I married.

Meghan doesn't really have to worry about giving up acting. It will give up her, once she turns forty.

This happens to most actresses; the parts just dry up.
Even an actress of the caliber of Meryl Streep has complained about ageism in Hollywood.

So of all the issues Meghan and Harry might contend with, her acting career isn't one of them.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The Castle of Mey was put into a trust in 1996 and is a Scottish charity. Prince Charles rents it when he stays there. He inherited Birkhall from his grandmother.
Clarence House is part of the Royal Collection Trust. The Queen Mother didn't own it nor does Charles.

I believe the Queen technically owns Birkhall as part of the Balmoral estate. The Queen Mum used it but didn't actually own it. It's the same as Anmer Hall. The Cambridges use it but the owner is the Queen as part of Sandringham estate.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
You know you're getting on in years when you remember a popular actress playing a role of a teenager, then a young adult, then a mother and then eventually a grandmother in roles. Sally Field comes to mind. It doesn't work that way with most professional actresses and actors and even as they age, they're reduced to "starring" in commercials for the most part and small, minor roles here and there. Henry Winkler comes to mind.

Seeing as Meghan has come this far with her relationship with Harry, to me, it doesn't seem like it will be a big thing to chuck off the acting career and move on with her life. A lot of actors and actresses use their brief "stardom" as a springboard to doing other things with their lives.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I believe the Queen technically owns Birkhall as part of the Balmoral estate. The Queen Mum used it but didn't actually own it. It's the same as Anmer Hall. The Cambridges use it but the owner is the Queen as part of Sandringham estate.
That could be--I know Queen Victoria purchased Birkhall back from her son in the 1880s, but perhaps she then included it into the Balmoral estate. Several articles said Charles inherited it when the Queen Mother died. But that could be a simplification of the facts and Charles merely inherited the use of it.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
I'm thinking the 'us and them' is in people's minds as well. The royals take a piss, eat, sleep, breath like every other human in the planet. They have same feelings, doubts, fears etc. IMHO it's extremely weird to think, that just because Harry is royal, he wouldn't be allowed to love and marry a woman he chooses, and wants to be with, only based on flimsy excuses, like 'she's only an actress, she's older, she's mixed race, and American'. And that would be the undoing of the whole royal institution. That to me sounds insane. Meghan is not a criminal, that I would understand. She seems like a very accomplished, charming, smart, talented, passionate and loving woman. But because of flimsy excuses Harry can't marry her, he has to look for a wife from aristocratic background, someone who might be a horrible match for him.
And such a double standard considering how much American blood (so to speak) is already in the BRF and the Nobility itself.

Harry marrying an American is hardly ground breaking territory.

IMO the only thing that would make Meghan unsuitable would be something very immoral/unethical coming to light.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Meghan doesn't really have to worry about giving up acting. It will give up her, once she turns forty.

This happens to most actresses; the parts just dry up.
Even an actress of the caliber of Meryl Streep has complained about ageism in Hollywood.

So of all the issues Meghan and Harry might contend with, her acting career isn't one of them.

Not to mention there was talk here before (article or interview referenced) about Meghan discussing stepping away from it and focusing on a family etc.

It's not like she's giving up this fab career to sit home and eat bon bons...she's simply (if she marries Harry) changing careers and priorities...women do it all the time.

LaRae
Old 05-30-2017, 11:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not to mention there was talk here before (article or interview referenced) about Meghan discussing stepping away from it and focusing on a family etc.

It's not like she's giving up this fab career to sit home and eat bon bons...she's simply (if she marries Harry) changing careers and priorities...women do it all the time.

LaRae
Acting also, acting wasn't her first, must be choice of career. She had other career interests before acting, and has been active in charity work while acting too. I don't thin acting is her must do job, I'm making a bet, that she'd be happy doing humanitarian work, interacting with people, and royal duties. IMHO, what I've seen in all of her interviews and speeches, she'd be perfectly happy doing just that.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
This is off topic from this thread but in short, many people have hair that changes color and/or texture from childhood through the teen years to adult hood. My father had straight blond hair as a child and as an adult it was very, very curly and dark brown.
Thanks for sharing. I realize that hair can change color from childhood to adulthood, but I didn't know that textures change naturally without the use of straighteners or curly perms, etc.

Anyway, here's a fun montage pictorial of Harry and Meghan:
Old 05-31-2017, 12:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Acting also, acting wasn't her first, must be choice of career. She had other career interests before acting, and has been active in charity work while acting too. I don't thin acting is her must do job, I'm making a bet, that she'd be happy doing humanitarian work, interacting with people, and royal duties. IMHO, what I've seen in all of her interviews and speeches, she'd be perfectly happy doing just that.
Yes I think so too...and I am betting that she views her job as a way to fund her charity work or her ability to do it.

LaRae
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Is Meghan Jewish? The Jewish News decides.

Is Meghan Markle Jewish? The internet is confused | Jewish News
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

First I heard of her father having Irish background.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 PM
Majesty

I saw something about her father having Irish ancestry awhile back...but no idea what's true.

LaRae
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

So I assume that's where the Catholic schooling come about. ( and yes I shouldn't assume). So is the Jewish part only via her first husband ?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

There are many actresses and actors who have anxiety disorders and shyness and who can perform on stage but not socialize very well.
As for Meghan's career, she's not Scarlett Johanssen; it's not like she has offers banging on her door.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Majesty

I dunno...there are Jewish kids who have gone to Catholic schools because it is considered to be a better education and more controlled/better environment etc.

She married on a beach the first time...so if Jewish, not Orthodox I wouldn't think.

IIRC in Judaism that is tracked thru the maternal line, if your mom is Jewish you are considered Jewish.

LaRae
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Commoner

Meghan's half sister was commenting on twitter about the tabloid stories claiming that her dad and Meghan are Jewish. She said the stories are rubbish and that no one in their family is Jewish, they are Episcopalian.
She also said that one of her uncles is a Greek Orthodox Bishop but since they are half sisters I don't know if that is Meghan's uncle as well.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Goodness another religion in the mix ha ha I doubt she practices any. I'm surprised the DM hasn't done a family tree
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

No, Meghan doesn't strike me as particularly religious.

In fact, I think the main thing that will be held against her is the fact that she has been divorced. If not for that, I think everyone would readily embrace he as part of the RF.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Majesty

Her Irish roots have been discussed a number of times on the board, including by myself. Her father ethnically is Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch (German). Technically does not rule out being Jewish, as Judaism is both a religion and ethnicity. I am a German-Irish-English-Quaker Catholic but could convert to Judaism tomorrow if I chose. But it does seem the Jewish rumors are tied simply to her ex. Either way she doesn't seem very religious.

Some more information and good links here on her family roots

Meghan Markle — Ethnicity of Celebs | What Nationality Ancestry Race
Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Her Irish roots have been discussed a number of times on the board, including by myself. Her father ethnically is Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch (German). Technically does not rule out being Jewish, as Judaism is both a religion and ethnicity. I am a German-Irish-English-Quaker Catholic but could convert to Judaism tomorrow if I chose. But it does seem the Jewish rumors are tied simply to her ex. Either way she doesn't seem very religious.

Some more information and good links here on her family roots

Meghan Markle — Ethnicity of Celebs | What Nationality Ancestry Race
Thanks for the link, I knew her father was Dutch/Irish but I had no idea it was actually PA Dutch! I'm PA Dutch on my fathers side. My grandpa was a Mennonite pastor and grew up in the Amish faith until he was about 14, so maybe Meghan and I share some distant relatives.

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm Mennonite/Amish, not Meghan. The PA Dutch include a bunch of different Christian denominations, I just think it's cool our ancestors come from the same community.
Wouldn't want to accidentally start another round of tabloid stories: "Meghan Markle is Amish, can the Amish marry in Westminster Abbey?" Lolol
Old 06-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Majesty

"Meghan Markle has been quizzed on her knowledge of British culture – and she definitely needs a little revision! The Suits actress, who is currently dating Prince Harry, tried to answer questions about the UK while promoting the sixth series of the hit law TV series, and couldn't help but laugh about the weird and wonderful answers to some of the questions."

Meghan Markle struggles with British knowledge in fun quiz ? see the video!