The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Clothes don't make the man, or woman. And I'm sure that Harry knows (and loves) the real Meghan just fine.
Plus, that article completely ignores the fact that Meghan has lived in a colder climate in Canada for the past six years and regards Toronto as home. British cold weather brands probably suit her. Anyone would think that she had spent her entire life wearing bikinis on Californian beaches!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Nonsense article. People of her means end up buying local in the places they frequent, luxury they may be, because the brands have the best selections and the material work best for that climate and yes are at a better price than elsewhere. One buys French in France, Italian labels in Italy, English heritage labels in England. Provenance also matters, when somebody asks you where you got your Burberry coat, it just sounds better to say you got it during your London vacation than a sale in San Francisco. Whether Meghan is doing it consciously or not, it makes sense for her to be into British labels at the moment. Plus those brands mentioned (Barbour, Mulberry, Erdem love love love) are excellent, it really is not surprising for her to be into them.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Clothes don't make the man, or woman. And I'm sure that Harry knows (and loves) the real Meghan just fine.
Plus, that article completely ignores the fact that Meghan has lived in a colder climate in Canada for the past six years and regards Toronto as home. British cold weather brands probably suit her. Anyone would think that she had spent her entire life wearing bikinis on Californian beaches!
She's going to find Balmoral positively balmy if she's been living in Toronto!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Nobility

LOL!

And thanks for your common sense take too @moby.

I'm certain that most fashion designers, regardless of country of origin will be happy for Meghan to wear their designs. There has already sprung up some Meghan Markle fashion watch sites.
Meghan's Mirror Harry and Meghan attend Pippa Middleton’s Wedding Reception – Meghan's Mirror
and What Meghan Wore Meghan's Fashion - What Meghan Markle Wore

The Daily Fail as usual is jumping on piecemeal tidbits and non-reporting by other media outlets to make stuff up. I've stopped clicking on every Daily Fail article that's out there, especially about Meghan.

Here's a less insulting Meghan & fashion commentary from the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/fashion/la-ig...htmlstory.html

Actually, before Meghan even met Prince Harry, a number of people and designers involved in the fashion industry had become admirers of hers. That's one of the reasons why Meghan was approached by Reitmans to create her own line of clothes for the Canadian department store retailer.

Once again, Meghan is not just Prince Harry's girlfriend. She's a pretty amazing and accomplished person in her own right. I think we can safely bet that's one of the huge reasons why Harry is so attracted to Meghan. She's got killer style, beauty, intelligence, common sense, etc., along with a positive, upbeat approach to life, a sense of adventure, and generosity that overflows. Plus, she's a lady who knows and respects her own value, as well as advocating for others to focus on developing self-respect.

I get this from articles Meghan has written, interviews, her humanitarian work, The Tig and her Instagram which abound with inspirational quotes, uplift and encouragement toward others.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
She's a California girl but suddenly she can't get enough of posh British brands. Will the real Meghan Markle please stand-up.

Meghan's Sloane Ranger make-over | Daily Mail Online
Rubbish! I won't even click on that link to that fake news tabloid. Meghan wore British brands years before meeting Harry. If the DFail was truly informative they would have done a simple search and found that Meghan has worn clothes from various designers from, US, Canadian, British, Italy etc. You can easily buy Burberry and Canadian-British designer Erdem and other designers in Toronto stores.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Guess what DM, none of those brands are exclusively found in the UK. Not brands you buy on a trip to London. That is how they become as big as they are, they sell all over the world.

Not mine, as I don't have funds even if interest to have a huge wardrobe, in my family you would find an abundance of any of these brands. Actually I do, I have a Burberry scarf and wallet someone got me. My sister has at least three pairs hunter boots, including ones Meg has.

The pictures we have are mainly in Canada or London. A California girl would freeze in Canada in California gear.

Another pathetic rubbish attempt to get readers.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 AM
Gentry

Talking about Wendy Williams, there is this little snippet concerning Meghan that just aired. It turns out that Meghan wanted to appear on the Wendy Williams Show just last year! She went to their studios in NYC & all the staff were mesmerized by her. When the show called back to book her she was no longer answering their phone calls. This happened just right before the news broke about her & Harry! So it turns out that Meghan is a fan of the show after all!!

The story starts at the 13:45 mark

https://youtu.be/C1SECBg5QXk
Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post
Talking about Wendy Williams, there is this little snippet concerning Meghan that just aired. It turns out that Meghan wanted to appear on the Wendy Williams Show just last year! She went to their studios in NYC & all the staff were mesmerized by her. When the show called back to book her she was no longer answering their phone calls. This happened just right before the news broke about her & Harry! So it turns out that Meghan is a fan of the show after all!!

The story starts at the 13:45 mark

Noooo, I was just going to post it! Haha Wendy is trash but Hot topics is my guilty pleasure of the day.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen E View Post

The story starts at the 13:45 mark.

So funny! Thanks for the snippet. Interesting how they describe her: 'On her own, no agent, no boyfriend, no dog...' Ha!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Wendy Williams is a trip. She's so out there and in your face, and obviously our Trump-sized culture loves that type of loud, self-aggrandizing aggressiveness and self-promotion. I mean she's out front about her ambition and her viewpoints and her diva-tude, which makes people snap to attention and take notice. She's obviously hard-working and intelligent too, and she's a creature of her own making. I guess more power to her. Maybe some people think the same about Meghan. I think the difference is that Meghan is quieter, more reflective & philosophical, less double-sided and fake, no less tough, articulate and ambitious, but more genuinely caring about what she can do on a human level to serve others while in the process of becoming successful herself. If Wendy gives to humanitarian and charitable efforts, that's all good too but I think Wendy is more self-promoting for self-promotion sake (and unabashedly larger than life about her 'brand').

Wendy did an earlier feature on Meghan soon after the news broke that she was dating Harry, in which Wendy opined that the relationship probably would not go far because of Meghan's annoying half-siblings. Well, Wendy was wrong. Meghan's half-siblings have nothing to do with why Prince Harry and Meghan became attracted to each other in the first place. And I suppose Harry is determined not to allow things or people outside of their relationship to dictate Meghan's acceptance by his family!

If this story about Meghan wanting to be on Wendy's show is accurate, why didn't they mention it earlier? Based on what Wendy's producer said in the clip, the time frame would have to be sometime in June or July 2016 whenever Meghan happened to be in New York City (because that's around the time she met and then later became serious about Harry). Meghan was at Wimbledon in late June/early July 2016. And according to reports, her relationship with Harry became serious around mid-July. I'm not sure when Meghan would have been in NYC around this time. There could have been other conflicts aside from Harry as to why Meghan did not return a call back, if that's what actually happened. Or, maybe after vistiting the show for an hour, Meghan changed her mind? There's no way to verify any of this. But Wendy bringing it up certainly is a way to gather interest, clicks/ increased viewers who might stick. I would imagine the show already has great ratings. The reality is: As Meghan's romance with Prince Harry continues to heat up, everyone automatically wants a piece of Meghan. What a world we live in. Maybe it's always been thus, in different ways.

What are the origins of being royal anyway? If you're royal, your ancestors won most of the wars and were skilled at gathering enough soldiers and loyal supporters around them in order to fortify their wealthy position (which generally involved owning large swaths of land).

Origins of Royalty - How Royalty Works | HowStuffWorks

Okay, that's a discussion for a different part of this forum. Back to Harry and Meghan. Harry is royal due to his accident of birth. In present day realities, being royal can be a huge pain in the nether regions, but it's something you become adjusted to and learn how to navigate. As Prince Andrew once said to a journalist, slightly paraphrased: "Being royal is no different from being you or anyone else. The difference is a matter of circumstances and experience. What I have experienced is different from your experiences. Your version of normal is different from my version of normal." I think Andrew means that being royal, he's still human like everyone else but his existence is heightened and challenged by experiences that most people do not consider normal.

Being royal often complicates your personal life and your love life too. So, I think Prince Harry is lucky to have found Meghan. And if a royal life with Harry is what Meghan wants, and maybe she has aspired to live a heightened existence in some sense, then she's prepared for the headache parts, which is likely music to Harry's ears, and probably manna from heaven for him since he's had so much difficulty in finding someone to love, to trust, and to be on the same wavelength with who is also not frightened off by the media hordes. Meghan seems perfect for Harry in so many ways.

I wish them luck, as they already seem to share much happiness.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53;1989370.
What are the origins of being royal anyway? If you're royal, your ancestors won most of the wars and were skilled at gathering enough soldiers and loyal supporters around them in order to fortify their wealthy position (which generally involved owning large swaths of land.

Do you mean 'huuuuuuge... tracts of land'.

I do as well and agree they seem happy. From what we can see.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Huh? It seems you entered your comment in the wrong thread. This is about Harry and and his relationships, not his parents. Or maybe you mean to add more to your sentence to relate it to the discussion>
Whoops! I guess I did. I have to go back and see where I meant to put that.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea
Do you mean 'huuuuuuge... tracts of land'.

I do as well [wish them luck] and agree they seem happy. From what we can see.

^^ Yuuuge! God forbid! Forgive me for referencing the needy one in this thread. Enough of him already.

You are probably right, though. "Swaths" have much more to do with fabric, no?

Anyway, I'm intrigued about history of humankind in general. There's so much history that has not been told, likely on purpose. The Internet does help to democratize knowledge, but of course like everything, it must be used and navigated very carefully. Anyway, being widely read is one of the best antidotes to ignorance.

Back to Prince Harry and Meghan! I think they are both kind and genuine. Hopefully their relationship will be long-lasting and they can join William and Kate in being a great team to help guide the royal 'firm' into a new age.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
If this story about Meghan wanting to be on Wendy's show is accurate, why didn't they mention it earlier?
Excellent point!

Quote:
Based on what Wendy's producer said in the clip, the time frame would have to be sometime in June or July 2016 whenever Meghan happened to be in New York City (because that's around the time she met and then later became serious about Harry). Meghan was at Wimbledon in late June/early July 2016. And according to reports, her relationship with Harry became serious around mid-July. I'm not sure when Meghan would have been in NYC around this time. There could have been other conflicts aside from Harry as to why Meghan did not return a call back, if that's what actually happened. Or, maybe after vistiting the show for an hour, Meghan changed her mind? There's no way to verify any of this. But Wendy bringing it up certainly is a way to gather interest, clicks/ increased viewers who might stick. I would imagine the show already has great ratings. The reality is: As Meghan's romance with Prince Harry continues to heat up, everyone automatically wants a piece of Meghan. What a world we live in. Maybe it's always been thus, in different ways.
Great analysis, MaiaMia. I especially like that maybe after visiting the show's producers Meghan decided she wasn't interested. Maybe they took too long to call her back. Maybe they didn't call her back.

Quote:
Harry is royal due to his accident of birth. In present day realities, being royal can be a huge pain in the nether regions, but it's something you become adjusted to and learn how to navigate. As Prince Andrew once said to a journalist, slightly paraphrased: "Being royal is no different from being you or anyone else. The difference is a matter of circumstances and experience. What I have experienced is different from your experiences. Your version of normal is different from my version of normal." I think Andrew means that being royal, he's still human like everyone else but his existence is heightened and challenged by experiences that most people do not consider normal.
It's the undo public scrutiny, especially now in the digital age of instant access. 'Being royal' (or certain royalty) means one is focussed on by the society, living within certain prescribed societal expectations. Very similar though potentially far more restrictive than being a celebrity, or a politician, or a great artist. Or being mayor in a small town. It's about societal pressures coming to bear in a particularly acute manner. Agreeing to abide by the societal expectations (which are accompanied by considerable perks) is one of the curious aspects of the condition, which is a form of gilded servitude imo.

Quote:
Being royal often complicates your personal life and your love life too. So, I think Prince Harry is lucky to have found Meghan. And if a royal life with Harry is what Meghan wants, and maybe she has aspired to live a heightened existence in some sense, then she's prepared for the headache parts, which is likely music to Harry's ears, and probably manna from heaven for him since he's had so much difficulty in finding someone to love, to trust, and to be on the same wavelength with who is also not frightened off by the media hordes. Meghan seems perfect for Harry in so many ways.

Nicely put. I don't know if they are well-matched, but I can't imagine a better call-up from central casting for the role of Harry's possible wife. Meghan is an exciting possibility and I think Harry is doing all he can to convince her he is a good bet. (I am one who thinks Harry's speaking publicly about having sought out counseling is part of that convincing process). Meghan is a game-changer for him. He will be lucky indeed to win her imo.

I hope she makes the right decision for herself because the 'culture of Royalty' she would be entering is indeed an alien land compared to her free and easy life up to now. Though, in fact, come to think of it, her life from this point on will be tinged with a bit of 'frenzy' by the fact that she will be his ex (if that happens). By agreeing to become known as his girlfriend she stepped into the water. She's engaged the whirlwind. 'Twill see where it takes her.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:02 AM
Nobility

Yes, I think you put that very well too! Meghan has 'engaged the whirlwind,' and we shall see if Harry offers to put a ring on it, and whether Meghan decides to accept.

I think the "culture of Royalty" is changing a bit with the young royals coming of age. The old antiquated attitudes are dying out. The Queen has been there, done that, and she's seen practically all there is to see. She loves her grandson, Harry. And Prince Charles loves his son, and he also understands what it's like to be persuaded not to marry someone you love. The world has changed, and the older royals who dote on Prince Harry surely are quite happy to see him so happy and coming into his own in a mature, purposeful and responsible way. Prince William has always supported and encouraged his brother, so I'm sure he's happy for Harry too. And seriously, how can anyone who gets to know Meghan up close and personal not be charmed by her positive outlook, her genuine kindness and her down-to-earth, spirited sense of fun? Not to mention her intelligence, her beauty, and her articulateness.

I think that Harry and Meghan both seem to be taking their time with the pace of their relationship, and dealing very strategically and smartly with the intrusive media. It's hard to know what it's really like behind palace walls. Some of the royal larger-than-life personalities surely can be daunting. But once again, Meghan has been out in the big world on her own for quite awhile, and she's achieved very notable and significant success. I think the fact that she learned how to navigate Hollywood on her own with emotional support and guidance from her parents, has given her some measure of experience in dealing with powerful people under challenging circumstances. Therefore, I'm not going to underestimate Meghan's diplomatic strengths, and we already know that she's a confident person.

The crucial factor is that Meghan has won Prince Harry's heart and he and his staff and his inner circle of friends have also been won over and will be backing up both Meghan and Harry in this whole process of monitoring the course of their relationship. I think they already each have a good idea of the direction they desire to head in, but they are also likely not placing any pressure on themselves to get there in record time.

I certainly agree with you that Prince Harry speaking out openly about his struggles was likely in part due to his being encouraged to do so by Meghan. She is a very reflective and philosophical person, given to posting inspirational quotes on her Instagram and writing uplifting articles. Therefore, I think Prince Harry has probably discussed some of his experiences and ideas with Meghan, and her lending an ear in an upbeat and supportive way has seemingly been invigorating, and a great boon for him.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think you may see the relationship (perhaps, maybe) further along than I do. I could be wrong, of course, but I think they're just 'going steady' right now. Marriage is a ways away imo. Too much has to be known for them to be on that cusp. IMO of course.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Nobility

Did Harry end up paying for security for Meghan or was he just thinking about that? I know that the producers of her show are paying for it to and from work.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Did Harry end up paying for security for Meghan or was he just thinking about that? I know that the producers of her show are paying for it to and from work.
I'm not sure if that was ever actually set to happen or if it was speculation from "sources" in the tabloids.

http://www.royalfoibles.com/prince-h...so-a-divorcee/

Has anyone else read this article? Very interesting read. It's all about a possible internal conflict at BP/KP over Harry and Meghan's relationship and "informal engagement". I have no idea if it's true, but it brought up some perspectives that I had never considered.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I am failing to see any new speculation in that article. Just regurgitation of the other tabloids since November. How many times does the writer think they need to repeat she is Jewish and biracial. And divorced. Perhaps a writing class is needed.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Nope. No writing class. Just throw a thesaurus at him.