The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Diana's problem was different. She didn't have that much problem with the duties she had to take on. It was the marriage itself.
I agree up to a point. I think the media scrutiny and obsession also contributed. I don't think anyone back then expected anything like the media storm that occurred. Now, that kind of intrusion is known and expected, but then not so much, if at all.

And, I think knowing what may happen and actually experiencing it is a totally different thing. Meghan, IMHO, has only experienced a small amount of what will await her if she marries Harry.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I agree up to a point. I think the media scrutiny and obsession also contributed. I don't think anyone back then expected anything like the media storm that occurred. Now, that kind of intrusion is known and expected, but then not so much, if at all.

And, I think knowing what may happen and actually experiencing it is a totally different thing. Meghan, IMHO, has only experienced a small amount of what will await her if she marries Harry.
And that is why William and now Harry are so concerned about drawing a line between public duties and private life. They want to tamp down the flames before they erupt into a wildfire-out of control.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Diana was barely 20 and had never dealt with all the hoopla media stuff until she was outed as the g/f of Charles. Barely dated (if you can call it dating) Charles before they married.

VAST difference between she and someone like Meghan.

LaRae
The point is everyone says "oh she knows what shes getting into" and they never do because you dont know how horrible it will be until you are in. Diana didn't know Sarah didn't know, Sophie didn't know, Kate probably didn't even know, Phillip didn't even know the entirety of it all until it happened. Meghan may be more savvy when dealing with media but I still doubt that would give her much knowledge on being a part of the BRF. As I said I hope she has more strength of character than anything else because no one knows what they are really getting into when they marry a royal.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The point is everyone says "oh she knows what shes getting into" and they never do because you dont know how horrible it will be until you are in. Diana didn't know Sarah didn't know, Sophie didn't know, Kate probably didn't even know, Phillip didn't even know the entirety of it all until it happened. Meghan may be more savvy when dealing with media but I still doubt that would give her much knowledge on being a part of the BRF. As I said I hope she has more strength of character than anything else because no one knows what they are really getting into when they marry a royal.

I agree with you I think until your part of it you wouldn't have any idea what it's really like. Even just little things could be a "what the ?" moment
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
I just want pictures of the reception. Then I want an engagement announcement. Then a wedding. Then some babies!! Is that asking too much? :)
No, of course it isn't. Now, about that timeline . . . . .
Quote:
Just wondering, but is there anyone in here who thinks that this time Harry hit the jackpot? The media always tries to make out that these girls are oh so lucky to be dating a Prince, but with Meghan I feel she has herself together so muh that Harry is the one who lucked out.
Excellent point Xenia and yes, I certainly think that. He grew up with Chelsy and they grew apart, Cressida was almost completely inanimate and they never look "loved up" and she aspired to be a dancer (years too late) a model (same), become and actress. And lo, she has acted.

Now Meghan is the one we know both the most and the least about. She's educated, she's intelligent, she's animated, she's gracious, she is a self-confessed feminist, she puts her money where her mouth is so to speak, she can deliver a speech at the UN and do it well, she had a bread and butter job doing calligraphy until her acting paid enough to pay the rent. She obviously thinks enough of Harry to have made several transatlantic trips but we haven't seen them together. She would almost seem made for a man in his situation. So yes, he's lucky.

Now, we don't know anything personal about her except those who read The Tig before she closed it down. From what we have seen, she knows how to dress, but are those her clothes or does she, like many on the red carpet, wear them for the fashion label. We don't know if she's political or more like Charles, a doer. Most important of all, does she love Harry enough to marry him with all his baggage (train).
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Why do you say that?

It seems like both of them are putting a lot of effort into this relationship. Every month they are still together makes a wedding more likely.
No...no. My reply had to do with a poster saying that they wanted or they'd wait for an announcement from KP about Pippa, Meghan, and this wedding.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the clarification American Observer7.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
No...no. My reply had to do with a poster saying that they wanted or they'd wait for an announce from KP about Pippa, Meghan and this wedding.
The poster wasn't talking about an announcement about Meghan attending the wedding

They were commenting on the tabloids reporting that Harry was about to propose. And inside sources revealed to tabloids that the wedding was some sign it would be soon.

The comment was that tabloids are bs and not to believe any engagement until an announcement is made by the palace.

None of this had to do with Pippa and some official clarification about Meghan going.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Harry's friend wants to teach Meghan how to play polo:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...n-markle-polo-
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
Harry's friend wants to teach Meghan how to play polo:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...n-markle-polo-
it seems to me that Meghan would benefit more from lessons on how British society works I would think a great start would be to renounce American citizenship and become Canadian!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
... Excellent point Xenia and yes, I certainly think that...

Now Meghan is the one we know both the most and the least about. She's educated, she's intelligent, she's animated, she's gracious, she is a self-confessed feminist, she puts her money where her mouth is so to speak, she can deliver a speech at the UN and do it well, she had a bread and butter job doing calligraphy until her acting paid enough to pay the rent. She obviously thinks enough of Harry to have made several transatlantic trips but we haven't seen them together. She would almost seem made for a man in his situation. So yes, he's lucky.

Now, we don't know anything personal about her except those who read The Tig before she closed it down. From what we have seen, she knows how to dress, but are those her clothes or does she, like many on the red carpet, wear them for the fashion label. We don't know if she's political or more like Charles, a doer. Most important of all, does she love Harry enough to marry him with all his baggage (train).
I agree with you mostly, except we have seen them together more than once, and there are some clues in interviews, quotes, etc., regarding her general life philosophy and political leanings. She definitely is a doer and an energetic go-getter. Plus, there's a ton of pre-Harry tv show interviews, Suits Q&A related spots, red carpet interviews, promotional interviews, including hair and fashion-related spots, Meghan interacting with fans, magazine interviews, essays and articles Meghan has written beyond The Tig, and you can learn a slew about Meghan from her Instagram pics and posts (showing her with her friends, her Mom, her dogs, her travels), inspirational quotations and sayings, video of her working out, and acting silly, shots inside her apartment, some of which are still up. She is clearly a fun, down-to-earth, generous, classy, positive, giving person.

There are videos of Meghan talking about how her fashion sense changed when she began to learn more about designer wear on Suits, and she has talked about her casual style, and anecdotes about growing up in some of the articles she's written. There's really a lot available about her character and her personality, if you have the time to look at it all. And if you do it before her Instagram is completely shuttered. You are right we don't know details about her feelings for Harry, except the reports that they are comfortable with each other and happy together. Time will tell us more.

Some inaccuracies in this early rundown video; H&M were introduced by Markus Anderson by most accounts, not by Misha Nonoo, though Meghan is good friends with both Markus and Misha (a designer who used to be married to a friend of William's and Harry's); it's not certain that Meghan first met Harry at Invictus games, it's more likely they were introduced at Soho House in London.

Yep, Prince Harry is lucky to have met Meghan and to have her as his girlfriend, and he's acting as if he knows she's special. I wish I'd seen and heard of Meghan before she became Prince Harry's girlfriend. I've been impressed by everything I've read and seen about Meghan. It's rather unusual to know this much about someone who is dating a member of the British royal family. But that's because of Meghan's career, which she is slowly pulling the plug on apparently.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Nobility

There's also a quote in a pre-Harry article about Meghan's friendship with Serena Williams, in which Meghan is quoted as saying this about why she and Serena clicked immediately when they met:

"We both have endless ambition, and we like to exceed expectations."

And in the first video compilation linked above, there's a feature where Meghan talks about wearing all of her own jewelry on Suits. When asked about what's next for her career, at that point in time she responded..."It's kind of interesting because it could be anything. It kind of feels like the world is my oyster." And she hadn't yet met Prince Harry when she said that.

To me, Meghan seems to be a generous, positive person who exudes confidence, and it looks like serendipitous things have come her way. Although, it's difficult to predict navigating life as a royal, and the upsides and downsides that are involved. We'll see how it all turns out.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No one knows what they are getting into when they marry royalty. Everyone thought Diana knew and she had no idea. We can just hope that IF she marries him she is strong enough to keep her head above water.
True but I think Diana and Fergie were exceptions. Botht of them DID seem to enter the RF and then be very surprised about the life that they would have to live there.
But Fergie is not very bright and Diana had an ability to "not know" about a lot of things.. and she somehow DID mss out on knowledge about Royal life that would have helped her, if she'd known it.
ANd its true that it is one thing to know this stuff from what you have read and heard as an outsider and another thing when you actually live it.. however its Meg's business, if she can cope or not. I don't think that she will be so unadjusted that she will bring down the monarchy, and even if she did....
Old 05-22-2017, 01:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
it seems to me that Meghan would benefit more from lessons on how British society works I would think a great start would be to renounce American citizenship and become Canadian!
It doesn't have to be one or another. I'm sure she could manage learning about both. Maybe she is. Also, we don't just pick and choose out citizenship. She can't just decide to want to be Canadian, and that's it.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am always amazed at how people react to the news. Yesterday, Harry and Meghan were about to announce their engagement. As of today, just because Meghan didn't attend Pippa's wedding, some posters on this forum are speculating if Meghan would agree to be Harry's mistress.

I bought this topic up as a discussion I didn't say it was going to happen. I thought it was interesting to discuss but some people have taken it the wrong way. But I will say that people don't have to marry these days and she wouldn't be his mistress she would be his partner
Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets face it. When it comes to Harry and Meghan's relationship, anything can happen.

Royal rob's suggestion that they remain as they are now with an intimate relationship but without marriage is just as valid as the two of them announcing that they'll marry on the second Tuesday of next week or decide that they will have children with the children spending 5 months in Canada with Meghan and 5 months in the UK with Harry with an entire month with the both of them in Timbuktu.

People in the 21st century have come to the point where they can define their relationship any way they want to without being stigmatized if its not the "conventional" relationship society expected of them. Harry could renounce his succession rights and they raise penguins in remote Antarctica happily ever after.

We just don't know.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I bought this topic up as a discussion I didn't say it was going to happen. I thought it was interesting to discuss but some people have taken it the wrong way. But I will say that people don't have to marry these days and she wouldn't be his mistress she would be his partner
It just wouldn't work long term with a royal, IMO. Just the practical side of it. Would Meghan be allowed in as a equal partner, holiday celebrations, official events, or would she be in the sidelines, or just not allowed to participate.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Majesty

That makes the most sense really in the long run of things but the possibilities that they could do something totally different that they both agree on is still there.

I don't see Harry walking away from the life he's known he's destined for since birth in any way. He has stated that he does want marriage and family with the stipulation that he'd have to find the right person first. Perhaps he's found her in Meghan. We won't know until they both announce publicly their intentions.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:02 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think Harry will walk away from his life either; this is something he has been born to and he knows no other way of life. I am certain that he (among others of his background) would have no idea on how to handle making that kind of break and then basically starting afresh as a non-official royal. It might in fact cause a huge amount of trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
It just wouldn't work long term with a royal, IMO. Just the practical side of it. Would Meghan be allowed in as a equal partner, holiday celebrations, official events, or would she be in the sidelines, or just not allowed to participate.
As his consort she'll be bound by protocol and culture to walk two steps behind him and address him as "Sir" in public and in front of others at events.

As the wife of someone who has been moved down to fifth in line, hse will have to defer to HM, Charles, Camilla, William, and Kate; likely to the two York princesses who are born blood princesses and are thus higher in rank.

This is not a world or culture based on equality and I do believe that it is something that Meg might in fact have serious problems adjusting to.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
I don't think Harry will walk away from his life either; this is something he has been born to and he knows no other way of life. I am certain that he (among others of his background) would have no idea on how to handle making that kind of break and then basically starting afresh as a non-official royal. It might in fact cause a huge amount of trauma.

As his consort she'll be bound by protocol and culture to walk two steps behind him and address him as "Sir" in public and in front of others at events.

As the wife of someone who has been moved down to fifth in line, hse will have to defer to HM, Charles, Camilla, William, and Kate; likely to the two York princesses who are born blood princesses and are thus higher in rank.

This is not a world or culture based on equality and I do believe that it is something that Meg might in fact have serious problems adjusting to.
I think many of these protocols have been relaxed as of late. I haven't really noticed Kate walking two paces behind William and at times have seen her precede him when on official engagements. I don't see Harry either as being a stickler for her calling him "Sir" whether in private or public either. Then again, I've not seriously looked for examples of it either. The younger royals seem to be much more relaxed as far as "rank and file" goes although there will be times that they do have to strictly adhere to protocol when demanded.

I don't think Meghan will have much of a problem with these things as, from what I see, if and when they do marry, first and foremost they'll be a team and support each other strongly in everything. Some things such as protocol are just that protocol. Like a man removing his hat in church or a woman dressing respectably for church. Its what you do.

Meghan has been an advocate for women in the past but I don't really see it as a woman's libber kind of feminism but standing up for what women need such as personal hygiene considerations in India and education and perhaps equal pay in the workforce. Serious matters that affect the life and lifestyles of all women.

That's my take on it and can be totally wrong and she'd mind the protocols and rigors of royal life. I just don't know.

I also think that Harry could and would adjust to being "Joe Public" easier than most other members of the British royal family. He's known to be most at ease and comfortable when he's with people that treat him as just a regular "mate" such as he was accorded in the military. He's not one to believe that each and every person should defer to him as he's a Prince of the UK from what I've seen.